Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Kinda looks like a giant mouth. Not in a bad way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
So I spent some time getting my roadster ready for this race, loaded it up and set off with some friends to central California to participate in the RPM Nationals - a pre 36 flathead ford race

the race takes place at Santa Margarita Ranch.. which is a functional cattle ranch and event venue, back in the day they built an airstrip there that is used as the track for the 1/8th mile race - there is no timing machines, there are no starting lights or staging, its a gal with a flag, and a finish line - its about as authentic as it gets..

I knew my car didnt have much power so I was there just for fun - the day starts at 7am and we run the cars over and over and over again until they take a little break for lunch then start with the eliminations.

my friends sport coupe

out "team"

all in all my car did great, didn't get hot and started every time - now I have about a year to get ready for the next one and maybe start the belly tank car - I raced about 10-12 times and won about 4 times, one race was really close and neither of us knew if we won or lost so we called it a draw..

big things planned for this little mill...

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 31, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
So freaking awesome man

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
That's great, I saw a bunch of posts on IG from the event, sounds like it was as fun as it looked.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

Boost it to the moon? Boost it to the moon.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Boost it to the moon? Boost it to the moon.

I can't compete in the classes I want to with any kind of forced induction, and that class is where the big money players kick it... - I was thinking more like head, cam, carbs and maybe balanced crank (because model a cranks are not balanced) and lightened flywheel from ~70lb down to about 45..

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

That looks awesome.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

LobsterboyX posted:

Is there something like an Ardun head for Model A engines? If there is, is it legal?

E: I see now, an Overhead and/or Blower vaults the car into the "With Power Adder" class.

E2: VVV yep.

E3: Overhead CAM? Whoa, the ardun style OHV heads use the stock cam location and pushrods. That's impressive.

glyph fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 1, 2018

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

glyph posted:

Is there something like an Ardun head for Model A engines? If there is, is it legal?

Apparently they do, and they look rad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4hvvI4M4RI

I imagine that'd bump him to another class, though, same as forced induction.

Edit: drat, these are pretty. http://www.secretsofspeed.com/roof-101-cyclone-ohv

boxen fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 1, 2018

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Yes, the Roof is a beautiful piece - over the years there have been a lot of overhead conversions, offenhauser namely - some guys have adapted oldsmobile heads to them... the rabbit hole goes very, very deep. aside from the Roof head, these aren't things that one could just order - you have to know someone, get friendly and then commit to the process of forever chasing that extra mph or hp. The guys who do the overhead stuff have a lot of time on their hands

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Brain droppings and other stuff:

Well, the wild fires this past month claimed one of my favorite custom cars ever... The Timbs Buick :

We also lost Paramount Ranch

a really big movie set in malibu, but before it was a movie set, it was a race track:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramount_Ranch_Racetrack

The wife and I went to the 55th anniversary of my favorite movie ever:

Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad World premiered at the cinerama dome in 1963 and played for almost a year- JFK was supposed to attend, but had to go to Dallas instead. One of only a handful of movies shot in 70mm - Cinerama domes never really caught on, but it sure is stunning to see this movie in its original format!

I picked up the Mystic See'r for $5

finally got my awesome tee shirt from the east coast show:

another yearly tradition:

costume ideas for next year...

also, some changes to the house:

out with the old - stopped working, tired of de-icing it every few months...

in with the new, that looks old:

and finally, we take a trip to Palm Springs and something follows us home:

we saw this scorched 57 buick wagon there too:

I'm guessing one of the transmission pumps failed and sprayed the hot pipe with trans fluid and it went up.. hopefully no one was hurt and hopefully they'll restore this beauty!

we also checked out elvis' honeymoon house:

its for sale too... 2.6m - gladly taking donations now, plan to turn it in to the coolest airbnb in the world.

but this was the real point of the trip...

I just couldn't stay away from the whizzers...

this is a 1947 H code motor on a schwinn b6 autocycle of the same era...

coolest part:

I need to contact the AACA and see if this is legit, I'm assuming it is, but I'd love more info on it. the chrome work on it alone is worth the price i paid.

I got a mind blowing deal on this thing, and helped out a really nice guy, who actually drove to palm springs (half way point) to meet me from arizona, just to make this deal happen. The bike needs some work to run again, but I just couldn't say no to this deal.

and lastly - my buddy bought a really weird 40 Buick:

more later.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That bike is rad. The Buick wagon fills me with a deep sadness though.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That bike is rad. The Buick wagon fills me with a deep sadness though.

It's an easy fix, I didn't talk to the guy, but a lot of that looks like it would wipe off, on the drivers side at least.. I can imagine it toasted the transmission pretty good too - I'd be willing to wager that it wouldn't be a big job to fix it, but he's probably waiting on an insurance payout or something. I'd be first in line at a fire sale :rolleyes:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
SOooooo

I went down to San Diego to check out this lexus truck - it was really nice, but the guy wanted just too much for a 15 year old car with 150k on it - I've been looking for a land cruiser now for at least 2 years and I've been unable to find one thats clean enough for me

Our roommate recently moved out, in our guest house I had my 1950s Allsteel desk! I checked the going rates of these things these days, and was really excited to see that they sell for over 500 bucks regularly.

So I recently dug out this convertible top frame that I bought when I first got the car, it was very cheap, far from stock and somewhat poorly made. at the race we did in october I got burnt to a crisp, and with a few events coming up in spring, I kinda want to have a little bit of refuge from the sun

Started by assembling it, because my windshield is chopped 4 inches, I had to modify it to get it to fit and still be able to fold.

I got a rear window from a friend that was obviously on a much larger vehicle, went ahead and chopped it to fit.

Installed a new tack rail which surprisingly stiffened up the body a lot, my doors close a lot easier now.

Started the tape mockup to check my shapes and see what it would look like, get window lines ect..

I moved to photoshop and got this unpleasing result - I dont like how the rear bow is wider, it looks a bit too old timey for me - I have to re bend the rearmost bows and shorten the rear cross bar - cutting the bar is no biggie, but re-arcing the bows precisely is still something im trying to wrap my head around...

I really like the side profile - I'm going to talk to the shop that will be doing it but, I'm thinking about side curtains as well

This "lol high compression lol" head is next..

some new decor'

Got this beatiful 1940s DeWalt radial arm saw - also known as the Power Shop - I paid $10.00 for this and it works great. This is the original finish on this saw, and vintage tool guys struggle to re-create it. I have to find it, but there is an ad from the 50s that shows this machine in the trunk of a car, as well as a man ripping a sheet of plywood by walking it past the spinning blade near his stomach. Needless to say, these are dangerous machines, but can handle quite a few interesting cuts

more soon

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
My stepdad has that same saw, incredible find at that price.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Bump to keep this out of the archives - Have been super busy with work, but here's a few shots from the local car meets I attend weekly..

heres the link to that article: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/cruising-southern-california-coast-odd-squad-car-club/

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
Dude your model A is awesome. I love the font you used for the numbers. Did you re-locate the gas tank or is it still in the cowl and gravity fed?

I found this while surfing youtube, not quite sure when it was shot. This guy in the UK ended up with a Model T speedster barn find. In the episode they go through the cars history and restore it. It's the only time I've ever seen an old race car with a hand built brass body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SWddnulElo

Huggable Bear King fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 16, 2019

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Phew, almost archived - saved!

Huggable Bear King posted:

Dude your model A is awesome. I love the font you used for the numbers. Did you re-locate the gas tank or is it still in the cowl and gravity fed?

I found this while surfing youtube, not quite sure when it was shot. This guy in the UK ended up with a Model T speedster barn find. In the episode they go through the cars history and restore it. It's the only time I've ever seen an old race car with a hand built brass body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SWddnulElo

I have the cowl tank - it is still mostly gravity fed, but I do have an electric pump on it, mounted inside the car and runs on the key. - I'm not a huge fan of my setup, its cool to watch peoples expressions when I pull up to the gas pump, but it is also like riding around with a bomb on your lap - I'd be very much happier with a tank in the trunk or even a 32 style tank at the far back of the car. plus, if I move the tank that means I can install a later car dash

That speedster is so drat cool - I love the simplicity of these cars, they are so modular that you can do just about anything to them and the result will always be cool. T body, A frame - 32 frame, T or A body... .Speedster.... Belly tank?

I recently did something very cool for a car stereo in the A, but I'm uploading the pics as I type this!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Doing the Time Trials at Santa Margarita Ranch event again this year Danny? I'll make it this time, I promise! I met the tech inspector a few weeks ago at a yard sale, interesting fellow.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 7, 2019

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

Doing the Time Trials at Santa Margarita Ranch event again this year Danny? I'll make it this time, I promise! I met the tech inspector a few weeks ago at a yard sale, interesting fellow.

Dont know if im doing the time trials, but I'm going to be at the RPM nationals in October.. I'm racing it this weekend at fontana...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How goes the DC-3?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Charles posted:

How goes the DC-3?

The particular one I posted, is going to be one of those things that will happens if he gets desperate, I can swoop in and get it reasonably. Ive seen a few more come up that are way out of what I want to pay for yard decoration. It's a waiting game. I've been very, very busy with work, but I feel some free time coming up and I have A LOT to do.. uploading pics now.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
cool poo poo update:

So I've been super busy with work, so getting out there and digging has really been kinda tough over the past 4 months, but there are a few gems

BOOM!

5" 38cal (not .38, but 38) shell fired in 1944

out of this:

giant airplane model built in the early 50s

proudly hung:

1939 City of LA Dietz lantern:

I have this one and another that I got working pretty well with smokeless kerosine... speaking of lamps:

I've been working on a secret project thats not so secret anymore... in theaters soon!

my friend painted this amazing sign which is a replica of the real one in Nashville!

speaking of Nashville, been playing a bit more lately too

A buddy of mine was cleaning out a house and came across this little cutie - old "Made in Japan" tin 54 buick wagon

On to the car stuff -

I've been dying for some tunes in the roadster but my need for period correct stuff has always gotten in the way of things -

another one of my friends who is a professional guitarist for a huge artist recently had an guitar amp made for him out of an old radio, he passed along the contact of the guy who was making them and I reached out to him- I've had this speaker for a lonnnnnngggg time, waiting for the perfect opportunity to run it - Square Amps out of texas built a 100 watt bluetooth system inside of this little speaker, which is all self contained, runs on batteries and opperates compeletely independantly from the cars old bullshit electrical system

As you can see the controls are on the bottom, so its completely stealth, sounds great

https://i.imgur.com/6b746jIl.mp4

I also finally got my Winfield high compression aluminum head on there - and what a difference - when you only have 40-50 horsepower, compression realllllly wakes these things up, at the expense of the bottom ends.

I also got this super rare chromed Stromberg 97 -

Finally got new correct springs for my 48...

my roses are in full bloom

my wife and I visited the Eames house:

a little background on this incredible place: https://eamesfoundation.org/house/eames-house/

Should I take this cool old trailer for a few hundred bucks?

any of you guys want it?

those are wooden wheels..

it has a model T axle - its pretty cool, they need it gone, along with this pump organ from the late 1700s...

More coming...

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 7, 2019

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013
everything is so cool. Love the old americana. Those 50s cars so beautiful. Love model A, that systems sounds a bit like VAMP which is used on a couple old 80s speakers at home.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The spent shell for the 5" is cool. Confusingly, larger guns are listed as bore diameter (5") and then the length of the gun expressed in numbers of bore diameters (/38) - so 38 caliber has nothing to do with the shell or the casing. It's just that it was ammunition from a 5"/38 gun - in other words a 5" gun with a barrel length of 190" - versus other US guns that included the 5"/51 (225") and the 5"/25 (125").

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Picked up this this set of "bigs and littles" for the hot rod from a friend who had fallen on some hard times - They came with a really nice set of '40 ford wheels -

so I've been in the process of changing them over to my 36-39 ford wide 5's

because im swithcing out these beautiful 16" ribbed goodyear all weather delux tires, I need to find some 16" rims for my buick! these are, IMHO the most beautiful tire ever made.

also in the deal I got back my 39 Wards Hawthorne that I sold to him over 7 years ago! its a bit rougher now than it was when I sold it to him, but it will clean up nicely!

of course my wagon is chugging along nicely - of all the cars ive ever owned, this is the best runner I've ever had - it floats so nicely, stops great and is pretty fast for a 50s car.

I also bought some canned butter, just because it had a cool vintagey label

according to my prepper friend, this is very very good stuff.

and lastly, I've added one piece of modern tech to the garage... to watch shows from the 50s and 60s...

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!
Love the stromberg. Is the chrome a custom job? I only remember seeing them in brushed or plain steel. Used to spot em for sale at car shows all the time but I don't remember ever seeing a chrome one.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Kurten posted:

Love the stromberg. Is the chrome a custom job? I only remember seeing them in brushed or plain steel. Used to spot em for sale at car shows all the time but I don't remember ever seeing a chrome one.

apparently it is a stock thing that they made in the early to mid 50s - or it could be an earlier custom job

This morning kinda sucked:

turns out it was just a dumb rubber cap that I used to cap the heater hose outlet from the bottom of the radiator...

got the tires on the roadster last weekend! drives like a different car, turns way easier...

I've been getting a bit too deep in to this kerosene lantern game...

1930s Embury's Air Pilot

Dietz Model 100 City of LA traffic lantern

late 20s early 30s Dietz Hy-Lo (high efficiency, low cost)

a few places in LA that we are in jeopardy of loosing.

my dogs favorite hiding spot is about to go away for a little bit - This car will be going to the transmission shop for a new ring gear next week!

got these back from the framer - these were souvenirs from the GM Autorama in 56..

weather is getting warmer and this thing is getting a few more miles on it as of recent...

more soon

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Man, your life is just the coolest. I'm so envious.

What's the deal with the locations? Dairy not popular enough, maybe, but how does a BBQ place go under?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Man, your life is just the coolest. I'm so envious.

What's the deal with the locations? Dairy not popular enough, maybe, but how does a BBQ place go under?

Life is too short to be a normal person, if you are in to something, live it, and the people that are also in to the same kind of thing will find you, as you find them. My job is weird, my house is weird, my wife is weird - but its completely normal to me!

The dairy has been open for over 100 years as a family owned business, the true name of the dairy is Broguiere's and they have been known for being the last dairy in southern califronia to use glass bottles for their milk:

it is also one of the most high quality milks you've ever tasted, it is sourced from local farms with herds of less than 100 cows - their chocolate milk is like drinking a milkshake and the formula is a closely guarded secret, it really is/was one of the best things I've ever had. I've been drinking this milk since I was a child. You'd buy the bottles at the market, drink them and bring them back with you and give them to the checker - people often would complain about the price, but it was literally a 2 dollar bottle.

Also, eggnog... November 20th had always been the day.. when the eggnog showed up. It was so thick, they couldn't run their bottling machines (that are over 70 years old) at full speed because the mix was too thick. It was the highest quality stuff you could get, and has been a tradition for LA natives for as long as anyone could remember, tradition beyond tradition.

Anyway, the current owner (6th generation) Ray is getting up there in years, and his son had no interest in running the business. when the news broke, my wife and I decided to drive down there and hear what was going on. The car guys also took note and all went to pay their respects and beg them to stay in business. We went down there, talked to Ray for at least 2 hours, about old times, cars, history - we (him, me and pretty much everyone that joined the conversation) cried a lot, people came up to hug him and share stories and traditions and it was truly heartbreaking. The outpouring of support for him was really incredible, people from all walks of life that enjoyed the product he devoted his life to.... He assured me that he would try to remain in business as his son was having a change of heart after seeing how important they were to LA, but he told me there would be at least a 2 week shut down, this was last week. So there's hope. I need to call him and see whats going on.

He made it clear to me that it was not a money thing, but rather regulations becoming tighter and more strict in regards to using the glass bottles- storage, ect.. and he was getting tired of dealing with them. he also made it clear that he was not a fan of these pencil pushing idiots. What drives me nuts about it is that LA has successfully almost banned the use of plastic straws, yet something as recyclable as a product in a glass bottle had to undergo the kind of bullshit that LA is best known for.

The BBQ joint has been open since 46 - the original spokesman for the place was Tennessee Ernie Ford, and the owner of this place went on to make much more money with his other restaurant Coco's - the business was recently bought after the currnet owner wanted to retire by a group... they claim they are going to keep it the same, but time will tell. I offered my design services for free to preserve this place for generations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

The BBQ joint has been open since 46 - the original spokesman for the place was Tennessee Ernie Ford, and the owner of this place went on to make much more money with his other restaurant Coco's - the business was recently bought after the currnet owner wanted to retire by a group... they claim they are going to keep it the same, but time will tell. I offered my design services for free to preserve this place for generations.

You eat sixteen ribs, and what do you get?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Midjack posted:

You eat sixteen ribs, and what do you get?

:golfclap:

We just had a dairy start using glass bottles again a few years ago. I suspect they're using similar recipies for their flavored milks because they're the best goddamn things ever.

It's expensive, but the flavored milks are worth it as a treat, and even the regular milk is cheaper than some of the organic labeled poo poo in plastic bottles.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Well, I don't have much content today, but I did get some sad news that may strike some of us forum veterans, I found out that PaulBoz MR2 (i cant remember his exact user name) has passed away-

He was a friend IRL that I met here on the forums, however he lived in the south and I didn't keep in touch as much as I should have on social media - we spent some time together here in LA, I showed him the old car scene and we always had just such a fun time hanging out. I found this out last week and I've really been upset about it, thinking about it almost daily. He had a pretty long string of very bad things happen to him, but I'm extremely hopeful he's found peace.

I'm uploading some photos to get back to my usual vintage crap, but I thought I'd get some hurt off my chest and perhaps let some people know that may have known him.

RIP Paul.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Fffffuck. Paul and I used to chat on AIM back in the day. I hope he's found peace too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress, that's a name I haven't seen in way too long.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

gently caress, that's a name I haven't seen in way too long.

Last posted in 2015, then lots in 2013. He was my secret santee in 2012. It's always amazing to me how many friends get lost in the shuffle of life.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I remember the name, but not so much about him. Anyone care to fill in the details? At any rate, that sucks, hope he’s in a better place now.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo. Paul and his MR2 were good stuff :(

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
back to the regularly scheduled program:

its been pretty hot here in LA

been doing a lot of work on the banger:

and the 48:

im collecting more lanterns, and there's a dog:

bought this giant model of a DC-3

I also got these shrunken head tiki mugs of gilligan and the skipper:

and yes, that is the same model radio used in the show.

I made this model of the first in-n-out location:

and planning to start building a gas station in my back yard:

details to follow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
That DC3 model is lovely.