Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/katienolan/status/1057314565560696834

#FakeNews?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

The headline is misleading. She left because she had two conditions for her Super Bowl show and they were both broken. She knew Carter would not work on her show and told Fox as much but they said he would be fine on her show. He was not.

Nolan then knew that Fox would not give her the control she wanted over her own show, so she declined the opportunity re-sign with them.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

She told that exact story to Bill Simmons on his podcast a few weeks ago.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

I know I didn't watch the series because the announcers are awful, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Hell just watching the highlights is loving infuriating. One of the Dodgers hit a long shot and stopped to watch, it fell short and he safely reached first. Cue the loving PBP bitching him out over it "WELL IF HE DIDN'T JUST STAND AND WATCH HE COULD'VE HAD A DOUBLE BUT HE WANTED TO HOTDOG" :fuckoff:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Peanut President posted:

I know I didn't watch the series because the announcers are awful, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Hell just watching the highlights is loving infuriating. One of the Dodgers hit a long shot and stopped to watch, it fell short and he safely reached first. Cue the loving PBP bitching him out over it "WELL IF HE DIDN'T JUST STAND AND WATCH HE COULD'VE HAD A DOUBLE BUT HE WANTED TO HOTDOG" :fuckoff:

Joe Buck is actively awful and has admitted in the past that he finds baseball boring, and Smoltz is just 31 flavors of sanctimonious poo poo.

Unfortunately, the alternative to a PBP guy on Fox is Thom Brennaman and the alternate to Smoltz is loving Tom Verducci.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Peanut President posted:

To be fair, that was Manny Machado and he did some dumb poo poo during the World Series.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The MLB postseason was just hot garbage this year. I bet I watched maybe 20 innings total. Most of the games weren’t close. Most of the teams I wanted to win didn’t. And it just didn’t have some of the drama I feel like we’ve had the past few years.

But between the 2015 ALDS, and the 2016 and 2017 World Series, it was all bound to come crashing down. The 2015 ALDS had perhaps the greatest inning of baseball ever and one of the greatest postseason HRs ever, followed by 2 of the better World Series I’ve ever watched.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Timby posted:

Joe Buck is actively awful and has admitted in the past that he finds baseball boring, and Smoltz is just 31 flavors of sanctimonious poo poo.

Unfortunately, the alternative to a PBP guy on Fox is Thom Brennaman and the alternate to Smoltz is loving Tom Verducci.

I prefer Joe Buck Baseball to Joe Buck Football. Buck doesn't seem to understand at all what is going on on the field.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mostly like Joe Buck for baseball. It'd be nice if he was paired with someone who did not actively hate modern baseball (the sport, although I assume Smoltz is also not a big fan of the pop punk band)

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
2018 Joe Buck is perfectly fine. The problem is Smoltz.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Yeah, Buck's "night... night" then shutting the gently caress up at the end of the monstrosity that was game 3 was a really good call

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is Joe Buck related to Barnacle Jim?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Peanut President posted:

That was literally true though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

zakharov posted:

2018 Joe Buck is perfectly fine. The problem is Smoltz.

It's this.

See also: Aikman. Smoltz at least is knowledgeable about the game still, Aikman is a rambling mess.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the full ratings are out now, and oof

quote:

The five-game Red Sox-Dodgers World Series averaged an 8.3 rating and 14.13 million viewers on FOX, down 22% in ratings and 25% in viewership from Astros-Dodgers last year (10.7, 18.91M) and down 37% and 40% respectively from Cubs-Indians in 2016 (13.1, 23.40M), both of which went seven games.

…Red Sox-Dodgers ranks as the lowest rated and least-watched World Series since 2014 (Giants-Royals: 8.2, 13.8M). The 8.3 rating is the third-lowest on record for the Fall Classic, ahead of 2014 and the all-time low set in 2012 (Giants-Tigers: 7.6).

The FOX-only audience ranks as the fourth-smallest in World Series history, ahead of 2014, 2012 (12.7M) and 2008 (Phillies-Rays: 13.6M). The combined average across all Fox platforms was not immediately available.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

That was literally true though.

It was also true that the next guy up popped out immediately and he never would have scored from any base, but the announcers kept talking about it like he’d cost his team a run for the rest of the game.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

DJExile posted:

the full ratings are out now, and oof

I wonder if streaming/antenna users (of which there are more than before I bet) means a bigger drop than just people not giving a poo poo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

I wonder if streaming/antenna users (of which there are more than before I bet) means a bigger drop than just people not giving a poo poo.

yeah there's definitely the overall cord cutting effect, and only going 5 games didn't help either.

There's also this from a Fox Sports VP:

quote:

There are a number of things going on. It’s possible the national appeal of the Red Sox is not quite what it was in [prior title years of] 2004 or 2007 or even 2013. And we are seeing less this year from New York and Chicago, two very important markets, after the Yankees and Cubs bowed out of the playoffs earlier than they did last year. But when you also look at things, at the shares being down a lot less than the viewership is, it tells you that we’re talking about a rather different type of viewing situation overall. And I think the factors around this are less about baseball specifically and more about trends around TV usage broadly.”

At the same time, the MLB's juice is in the local station ratings. Like hockey, it's a pretty tribal fanbase, and local broadcast ratings were up on the whole.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I was just busier this year, that's why I watched less world series games.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
https://twitter.com/LeftSentThis/status/1057727084221452288?s=19

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/HQonESPN/status/1057736366547763208
https://twitter.com/AroundtheHorn/status/1057735273046532096

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 31, 2018

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

4th place goes to Freddy, it was higher before i realized all the jokes were gonna be bad
3rd place to Hot Takes Sauce, which is a a boring costume but we get great jokes
2nd place to Frankseca, solid pun, mocking someone who deserves copious mocking
1st place to Cardi, drat girl, you look good, in a different life Izzy could have been on Drag Race

edit: also respect that we get three bad new york accents and a bad british accent

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Thought this was black Rick Pitino 'til I clicked.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

clips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfPFGk4khCE

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Koopa Kid posted:

It was also true that the next guy up popped out immediately and he never would have scored from any base, but the announcers kept talking about it like he’d cost his team a run for the rest of the game.
If he gets a double he can steal signs, then the next guy hits a dong

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DJExile posted:

yeah there's definitely the overall cord cutting effect, and only going 5 games didn't help either.

There's also this from a Fox Sports VP:

At the same time, the MLB's juice is in the local station ratings. Like hockey, it's a pretty tribal fanbase, and local broadcast ratings were up on the whole.

And there was a roughly 0% chance of LA winning the Series

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/HQonESPN/status/1057748181906345984

oh my god the sequence itself im dying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIYRaMh4XO0

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Still laughing about Cardi B

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I want to know how many angry letters ESPN has gotten about Izzy in drag

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ray Knight did not have his contract renewed by MASN

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/BarstoolBigCat/status/1059479743278526465

also a look at the new around the horn

https://twitter.com/TonyReali/status/1059092711251296256

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dan cut to Screamin' A THREE TIMES because holy poo poo he and Irvin were going at it.

And that's cool with Tony and his family's history.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Lots of Nats fans over the age of 50 love Ray Knight and will be sad to see him go but I have never understood the appeal. Sounds like the right choice if he's going around getting into fights with coworkers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1059608313829056512

wow

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

oshawa, ottawa, whats the difference?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

oshawa, ottawa, whats the difference?

Reminds me of when Jim Van Hornes smug rear end confused Thunder Bay for North Bay, then gave a super disingenuous apology (he had to do that a few times).

And really, it's a 12 hour drive away. How does a Canadian make that error?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hamilton is not getting a top level sports team.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
When the Penguins ownership was still up in the air I heard someone say Hamilton was Pittsburgh if Pittsburgh didn't develop tech and health care after steel declined

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Another one:
https://twitter.com/HQonESPN/status/1059837651631685632

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, Reali has a bunch of bananas on his podium on ATH now. Cool nod to his grandparents.