Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Rodyle posted:

I didn't know she was supposed to be Yuuki herself. Fair enough I guess.

How about Ibaraki

What's there to say, Hidari wanted to try and make a scary monstrous oni that's still small and cute, which is what they like. Flip through a few of their artbooks or look at atelier's dusk trilogy and you'll be like, "ah, okay"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nothing about ibaraki's character really implies she's supposed to be a kid, shes just small, like shuten's small

neither of their faces really come across like kids to me either, shuten especially considering how small her eyes are and how well-defined her face is. like compare either of those two to nursery or medusa lily

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think Ibaraki is just supposed to be childish, not an actual child.

Endorph posted:

small her eyes are and how well-defined her face is.

Umu!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Something I will say for the VN is it makes the villains seem much more of a threat because of the possible bad ends. Whereas I finished watching the UBW anime where the villains didn't seem so credible since they were always leaving when they had the perfect opportunity to kill the protagonists. The VN is also good because you're meant to experience all 3 routes so if a character doesn't get fleshed out well in one route or a person who seems like they should be the main villain ends up dying ignobly, that's on purpose. Whereas in a self contained anime it appears as if possibly great characters are just getting sidelined or underutilized. It's very tricky and the main reason I found Fate Zero a better adaption than UBW. Much easier to adapt a linear storyline.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why have you returned

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
tbf he's not wrong

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ccs posted:

Something I will say for the VN is it makes the villains seem much more of a threat because of the possible bad ends. Whereas I finished watching the UBW anime where the villains didn't seem so credible since they were always leaving when they had the perfect opportunity to kill the protagonists. The VN is also good because you're meant to experience all 3 routes so if a character doesn't get fleshed out well in one route or a person who seems like they should be the main villain ends up dying ignobly, that's on purpose. Whereas in a self contained anime it appears as if possibly great characters are just getting sidelined or underutilized. It's very tricky and the main reason I found Fate Zero a better adaption than UBW. Much easier to adapt a linear storyline.
Fate Zero also felt way more willing to make changes to the source material for the sake of the adaptation. Like in the novel, Rin doesn't find her friends and they all get murdered, but the anime changed that presumably to add at least a bit of hope/levity and also because Rin having her entire second grade class get murdered feels like it'd maybe be something that affects her in UBW.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I'm pretty sure it was just her one friend that disappears.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
:toot: Just received a mail from Netflix. They've added the rest of Fate Extra Encore. How convenient. :)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What else is there even to see for Last Encore?

E: Unless there's going to be a version that's actually good. I'd skimmed LE before after hearing bad things, but when I actually tried to watch the entire thing good lord is it a complete trainwreck.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 31, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The last three episodes were released separately as a pseudo second season as appears to be the fashion of modern anime.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
(it's because they started late so they didn't have timeslots to air the last few eps)

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

broke: /extra is an incoherent mess, how many kilos of weird russian party drugs did kinoko nasu consume before coming up with this abstruse bullshit continuity

woke: currently rewatching the shirou cooking anime again for purposes of theorycrafting how it fits into canon

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

extra ftw

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I love my Empress and Fox Wife and Bow Hunk

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Extra - Last Encore is kind of bare bones for a Fate spinoff, but it does some great work with the material clusterfuck that is Fate/Extra.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

should have replaced nero with gilgamesh imo

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

woke: currently rewatching the shirou cooking anime again for purposes of theorycrafting how it fits into canon
well that's simple. It is the real canon and everything else i just the crew playing smash bros with very dramatic roleplaying.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PupsOfWar posted:

broke: /extra is an incoherent mess, how many kilos of weird russian party drugs did kinoko nasu consume before coming up with this abstruse bullshit continuity

Emiya Gohan is the true timeline. Every other version is a failed lost belt that will be pruned by The World.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the only canon route is the axed medea route

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Bang Medea imo

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Extra - Last Encore is kind of bare bones for a Fate spinoff, but it does some great work with the material clusterfuck that is Fate/Extra.

I actually like extra, extella, and CCC a lot but I thought Last Encore was awful.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I liked Last Encore. Its biggest problem is that it is basically impossible to understand if you haven't played extra.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rodyle posted:

I liked Last Encore. Its biggest problem is that it is basically impossible to understand if you haven't played extra.

I don't know, I think I'm doing okay so far.
World has gone to poo poo (though it doesn't look that bad to me whenever they show parts of it, so it might be more of an opinion type deal), Grail system is failing/has failed, lots of people died and became a single person who's going to fix everything with hate in his heart.
Also Nero is a girl.
Only question marks are Tohsaka == Lancer Cu and glasses girl.

Man this "second season" feels rushed. It's in 3 eps on Netflix and I watched the first 2 yesterday and started the last (which appears to be two eps welded together judging from the length).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Darth TNT posted:

Also Nero is best girl.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Speaking of Extra, Extella Link is coming west next year for PC/PS4/Vita/Switch

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's not a second season, it's just the remaining eps of the only season because they started late and didn't have the time slots.

Also Shaft may've fallen behind in production.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

shes jealous she'll never know a love that beautiful(cause iri died)

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Stairmaster posted:

shes jealous she'll never know a love that beautiful(cause iri died)

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Her true love is food, she's fine

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

saber's master is whoever fed her most recently

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
A most noble way of choosing worthy Master, as befitting for King of Knights.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 3, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
"I ask of you: Are you my meal ticket?"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it's a very narrow form of findom

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I mean, in FGO Mysterious Heroine XX does promise to be loyal to you if you'll pay for her meals.

And even if she's not the seiba, she is A seiba so close enough.

Stairmaster posted:

should have replaced nero with gilgamesh imo

The best part of LE is Nero. Umu.

Rodyle posted:

I've played Extra and CCC and I had no idea what's going on half the time.

Why does Leo show up once? And then never again?!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Leo is a big part of the last arc

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

I mean, in FGO Mysterious Heroine XX does promise to be loyal to you if you'll pay for her meals.

And even if she's not the seiba, she is A seiba so close enough.

The best part of LE is Nero. Umu.

I've played Extra and CCC and I had no idea what's going on half the time.

Why does Leo show up once? And then never again?!

I hated "umu" because she doesn't use it consistently. Sometimes when she's trying to be cute, sometimes when she's trying be tough and I think she even did it in doubt once.

I finished last encore. Finale was pretty fine. Nice final moments for Nero and Gawain. Nice use of Tohsaka.
I don't really understand why she turned blond at the end, but that's a minor thing.

All in all, it's a very acceptable series that makes for easy watching. (Though what happened to the floor they skipped?)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Rin Extra is blond.

Extra is it's own weird massive universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

She's Ereshkigal