Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
You're doing fiiiiiine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I know nobody but me cares, but hooray, my first really successful run. Just Randy medium, but I started with a tribal start and the last the few I managed to launch with were either on lower difficulties, didn't launch with every colonist, or had a bunch of save scumming. :toot:

Had several mods, but mostly QOL stuff or UI improvements. Tribal definitely slowed down the tech gain down quite a bit, but the map was absurdly loaded with resources and I was usually around 20K+ iron and 100+ components until the final stretch of powering up the ship. Raids by the end were almost all mechanoids because after eight years of doing random quests and prisoner releases I wound up neutral or friendly with all the non-pirate factions. Eight colonists died along the way, three of them in a disastrous midgame mechanoid raid where they got burned up by inferno cannons so badly I couldn't even bury them. There's definitely a lot of inefficiencies in base design, but it worked out well and you can almost make out the two hills I built into and between.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Keeshhound posted:

I'm of the opinion that you should keep colonists in flak vests, simply because they protect vital organs in case of bullshit (manhunters, getting caught on the edge of a map by a raid, etc.) without slowing them down too much. If I'm remembering my math right, a default, heathy colonist has 4.6 move speed, and the vest reduces that by .12, or a little under 3%. And yes, that adds up, so it's ultimately down to how optimized you want to be vs. how safe you want to be.

Also, I'm pretty sure devilstrand pants and dusters completely obsolete flak pants and vests, as far as sharp resist goes.

Pants give 20% of material armor, and devilstrand has 140 sharp value, resulting in 28 armor rating. Flak pants by contrast offer 40, which is the same as hyperweave (200 * 0.2).

That said it's a lot better to armor your torso and head first, since legs in this game are quite replaceable. And if you still need temperature tolerance you might as well have it from fine wool pants.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 1, 2018

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

Pants give 20% of material armor, and devilstrand has 140 sharp value, resulting in 28 armor rating. Flak pants by contrast offer 40, which is the same as hyperweave (200 * 0.2).

That said it's a lot better to armor your torso and head first, since legs in this game are quite replaceable. And if you still need temperature tolerance you might as well have it from fine wool pants.

What if I just start decking people out day to day in full flak and maybe a wool shirt for temperature tolerance?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Is there some intro to rimworld series? I've been muddling through but I feel like there's a lot I'm missing

I'd suggest firing up one of the various rimworld lets plays on youtube the harder ones will generally show you more about maximizing effectiveness per action. Probably anything about b17/18 on is going to 95% apply to the current release. One of the big things imo is to never gather more resources than what you are going to need in the near future. At least not until you have a bunch of colonists and labor is no longer a limiting factor.

The other classic way to learn rimworld is to just play a bunch of games and purposely try to get your first 5 or so colonies destroyed in different ways

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

What I really want right now is that Dropship mod for 1.0.
Pods are cool and all but christ.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Is there some intro to rimworld series? I've been muddling through but I feel like there's a lot I'm missing

Definitely just muddle through until you lose a colony or two and then ask some questions about it. Half the fun of Rimworld is surviving as long as you can and then laughing about how badly it all went to poo poo, and playing optimally from the word go lessens the experience, in my opinion.

Michaellaneous posted:

:same:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I would also recommend save scumming as little as possible and trying to deal with the setbacks.

Half the fun in this game is trying to figure out how everyone is going to stay fed when your only cook is kidnapped in a raid.

Or your best doctor dies alone in a hospital bed because you were a dumbass and sent all your fighting pawns off on a caravan and got raided a day later. How much loot will raiders take if no one is home?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Michaellaneous posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1536615776

not the same mod but it looks like it has the basic features you want

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Asimo posted:

I know nobody but me cares, but hooray, my first really successful run. Just Randy medium, but I started with a tribal start and the last the few I managed to launch with were either on lower difficulties, didn't launch with every colonist, or had a bunch of save scumming. :toot:

Had several mods, but mostly QOL stuff or UI improvements. Tribal definitely slowed down the tech gain down quite a bit, but the map was absurdly loaded with resources and I was usually around 20K+ iron and 100+ components until the final stretch of powering up the ship. Raids by the end were almost all mechanoids because after eight years of doing random quests and prisoner releases I wound up neutral or friendly with all the non-pirate factions. Eight colonists died along the way, three of them in a disastrous midgame mechanoid raid where they got burned up by inferno cannons so badly I couldn't even bury them. There's definitely a lot of inefficiencies in base design, but it worked out well and you can almost make out the two hills I built into and between.

What coats are Riley and Nog wearing? I play with a ton of mods too and it's hard to keep track of all the new poo poo in 1.0

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
did i install a mod that removed batteries or were batteries moved somewhere else in the last update?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You have to research them now

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Vengarr posted:

Why not use nutrient paste?

The tooltip for cooking includes loading the paste hopper. Unless that's wrong (I didn't try building it when I saw the tooltip) they won't load it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You have to research them now

Actually a good change I think because it's not until you try running a batteryless colony that you realize how actually good it is.

Batteries have their uses but given the increased zzt lethality using them, I generally prefer to spend the resources on more power production.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Sten Freak posted:

The tooltip for cooking includes loading the paste hopper. Unless that's wrong (I didn't try building it when I saw the tooltip) they won't load it

Pretty sure it’s wrong and any hauler can do it now. I’ve seen dogs load the hoppers before, somehow.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Actually a good change I think because it's not until you try running a batteryless colony that you realize how actually good it is.

Batteries have their uses but given the increased zzt lethality using them, I generally prefer to spend the resources on more power production.

The only problem with not having any batteries is solar flares completely cripple you while they are active, yesterday I was in the middle of a volcanic winter AND a cold snap when a solar flare hit me. I turned everything off except the heaters and the batteries I had carried me through thank goodness.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
That's almost certainly a bug, since the flares are supposed to shut down everything not just power sources; I wouldn't rely on them for that purpose.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah you shouldn't be able to run anything electrical during a flare afaik.

That's when you just build a bunch of campfires.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Oh yea, maybe you are right, I am in an under-mountain base, so maybe it was just insulated enough for me to survive.

I probably just convinced myself that I was a genius who saved my people! I tend to think I'm far more clever than I actually am!

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 1, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're in a mountain (and you should be, dorfbase bestbase) that's an even better point, paradoxically, to light a bunch of fires in the corridors in order to solve your heating problem.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

deathbagel posted:

Oh yea, maybe you are right, I am in an under-mountain base, so maybe it was just insulated enough for me to survive.

I probably just convinced myself that I was a genius who saved my people! I tend to think I'm far more clever than I actually am!

Mountains are pretty much the best place to carve out a home. Yes, bugs are an issue, but the trick is knowing that they are coming and preparing for the eventuality. I've never had a full wipe from underground bugs. Significant slowdowns perhaps, and the odd casualty here and there from bad luck, but a good mountain base can let you divide and conquer the bugs well enough to save your colonists. Everything else can be replaced. 3-wide corridors, and airlocks to divide the base into blocks, and then you have a good chance of being able to divide up any infestation and take them piecemeal, or just funnel them through a one-wide airlock with all of your colonists massing fire on the one bug in front of your melee guys.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Can someone who knows how it should work give a quick and dirty guide to getting Gear Up and Go to work? I've been messing with it but I can't figure out how to make it work. All it does is draft the colonist for me and I tried setting up an outfit for it but no dice. Feels like I'm missing something obvious. I have Better Pawn Control too.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Prophecy120 posted:

What coats are Riley and Nog wearing? I play with a ton of mods too and it's hard to keep track of all the new poo poo in 1.0
Just flak jackets. I kinda started growing devilstrand a bit late, and it didn't grow too fast outside in the heat, so I wound up using those as stopgap protection.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No. Play the vanilla game until you think "this feature annoys me/I wish I could do X" and then find a mod for it. Rinse and repeat.

This is what I did. A day into it and suddenly I have like 15 mods.

Almost all are ease of life mods. Like the colored mood bars, and the more info bars, and the chat bubbles when they talk. My wind farm set my house on fire! Oh, someone made a mod that lets you build FUSES - duh! Why people keep shooting each other, there is mod to not do that. My walls are wood, I want steel! Let a mod help your dudes simply upgrade for you. On and on. Little things, a lot of little things, all modded away. I feel everything I've put into it hasn't been some new thing that drifts away from the game, but rather something the devs should have included in the game anyways.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think I've used a battery since my first ever game, where a bzzt event burnt down my base. gently caress 'em, they're nearly useless and that event is dumb.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Bugs are free combat and medical practice and a bunch of yucky meat and leather (and bone if you're using that mod), and if you are a serious tryhard you can farm their jelly makers :getin:

I turn off the ship part crash incidents because they're super lame and require cheesing but I think infestation is perfectly fine and actually fun, I don't get why people don't like it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I wish bugs dropped chitin or something to make armor out of which has 0 temp benefits but high sharp/blunt defense.

But the use of insect meat and hay together to make kibble is awesome, except when your 2yo toddler rushes over to your animal handler who is having lunch in the main dining hall, steals a handful of kibble out of their pocket, and then gets both "ate kibble" and "ate insect meat" moodlets. I was actually rather impressed that the children from the mods functioned like that, since it was a pretty realistic thing, which is probably why they put in some baked in +25 moodlet for the "simplicity of youth" i.e. kids are dumb and do dumb things but often they don't care that much about it.

Friendly Fire mod has made dealing with insects a lot easier for me. Whereas before I'd be wary of a 2nd line of ranged behind the melee line due to risk of shooting melee line, now I can pile 4 lines of ranged behind melee and the front ranged shoot the bugs hitting the melee while the back line ranged shoot distant bugs. I don't like how the bugs start trashing the room they're in, but as long as I make sure to leave them a room they can spawn in that I don't really mind getting trashed, that's okay.

But even without trying to farm jelly, they pop out 20 quickly and then breaking them down gives another 20 or so, so you can wind up with a 500 haul of insect jelly really freaking quick.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Philthy posted:

This is what I did. A day into it and suddenly I have like 15 mods.

Almost all are ease of life mods. Like the colored mood bars, and the more info bars, and the chat bubbles when they talk. My wind farm set my house on fire! Oh, someone made a mod that lets you build FUSES - duh! Why people keep shooting each other, there is mod to not do that. My walls are wood, I want steel! Let a mod help your dudes simply upgrade for you. On and on. Little things, a lot of little things, all modded away. I feel everything I've put into it hasn't been some new thing that drifts away from the game, but rather something the devs should have included in the game anyways.

Some that are a bit off the beaten path but are tremendously helpful and don't really change the mechanics of the game too much:

Allow Tool, dozens of useful selectors and designators and various things
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761421485

Cut Plants Before Building
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1539025677

Replace Stuff, upgrade objects in place and skip tons of fiddly busy work (e.g. you have a lovely double bedroll with a pair of colonists assigned to it, you can simply place a blueprint for a higher quality bed on top of the old one and it will automatically deconstruct the old one, build the new one, AND assign the original colonists to it when completed :awesome:)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1372003680

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 1, 2018

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

How hard would it be to implement something where i keep the same world seed but have different colonies on it? Maybe i could visit the remains of one of my previous colonies or my previous colonists could now be a pirate faction and lead raids into my new colony? Etc., Etc.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I just read a mod that generates ruins based on a database of bases it has collected - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1552146295

So potentially, kinda that - but mod person says saving terrain data is more than they want to have, just doing buildings/furniture for now.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I suspect it's most likely a performance issue, no? Just saving all that data that may or may not ever be used? Better to just create a new world every time.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
DF does surprisingly fine with nearly infinite world-state and history detail. You don't have to load much of anything into ram outside of your base. The problem seems to be having granularly detailed development at near real-time of multiple bases you have to view at once. You can have historical player data influence the world and potentially be a hostile/trading neighboring factions, but going to visit isn't trivial.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
Count me in camp urban warfare with flak vests for all

Detail

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I had a base that was nestled in what I thought was an enclosed, U-shaped mountain range. Some tunneling into the mountain however revealed an unexpected hidden pocket of land that later provided a route for raiders to come in from the map's edge.

My question is, if I hadn't uncovered that hidden pocket, would the fog of war have prevented enemies from spawning or would they have come through that way regardless?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Nope, they never would have. They see what you see, oddly enough.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mindless posted:

Count me in camp urban warfare with flak vests for all

Detail

Now I know how I'm gonna design my base defenses, thanks friend.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thats a lot more access points for your colonists to go in/out than my colony has. Maybe I should add some more.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Thats a lot more access points for your colonists to go in/out than my colony has. Maybe I should add some more.

The downside is untrained animals opening doors at the worst moments.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are vehicles a thing yet besides pods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ok I've been playing my rear end off with randy rough and I keep getting hosed. It's all great until I have to actually micromanage and do real loving defense against outlanders with lil more than a wall for cover and rifles/looted guns. I think I need to be reminded how to set up shop again and how to handle this poo poo. Because just having 15x15 blocks and setting my guys up in cover isn't doing it anymore. I need to get a proper defense up ASAP and not get by with no walls or a single perimeter wall like I'm used to.

Mindless's setup looks great because it offers alot of entry points+cover points for the hallway incase dudes spill into there. I'm gonna have to setup the death intake as a signature feature of my bases from now on.

But as far as combat goes, what could I be missing tactics wise?