Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Can't wait to see it subbed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Sesq posted:

I didn't get Nina's shirt because too darn many other people liked it so much. I wish I had enough time beforehand to peruse merch, but that's more poor planning on my part. I'll do better for the 20th anniversary show.

I wanted the tote-bag, and just I as I got in the merch line, they stuck the "Sold Out" sticker on it.

I settled for just a glow stick.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Kakaricho posted:

I wanted the tote-bag, and just I as I got in the merch line, they stuck the "Sold Out" sticker on it.

I settled for just a glow stick.

If it makes you feel any better, even I didn’t get my tote bag.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

zari-gani posted:

If it makes you feel any better, even I didn’t get my tote bag.

It doesn't, but hopefully they'll re-issue a lot of the sold out stuff. There was a bit of a buzz on Twitter about how overwhelmed all of the booths were (food trucks included.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I've been pleasantly surprised over the last couple years in particular by just how much the show seems to have grown in popularity, despite not really changing a whole lot or trying to pander to new audiences or what have you. I'm glad it's doing well for them and that they clearly still enjoy doing it.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Play a videogame

by yourself

and invite 15,000 people.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

BattleCattle posted:

Play a videogame

by yourself

and invite 15,000 people.

Hell, I'm halfway there.

somebodyelse
Jul 20, 2013
Hey guys, my sister will be visiting Japan to travel through for a few weeks, so I was wondering where could I direct her to pick me up any GCCX merch? She's not interested in the show herself so live events and the like would be pointless (unless they so happen to be the only place selling). Thanks either way!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I'm happy that such a niche show still has such an active fanbase that they have never really seemed like they were winding down.

somebodyelse posted:

Hey guys, my sister will be visiting Japan to travel through for a few weeks, so I was wondering where could I direct her to pick me up any GCCX merch? She's not interested in the show herself so live events and the like would be pointless (unless they so happen to be the only place selling). Thanks either way!

I visited a couple of years ago and actively looked around Akihabara and Den Den Town and never found more than some of the DVD sets. Super Potato had a case full of promotional show stuff, but not for sale.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

somebodyelse posted:

if you want dvd sets you might have luck at the many dozens of book-offs to be found in tokyo. everything is secondhand, but their prices tend to be pretty reasonable unless you find something that's both especially rare and high in demand. it's also a great place to shop for old game soundtracks. i picked up a good-condition persona 3 ost for like ten bucks at one in nakano.

for merch itself, you pretty much have to go to an event, sadly :(

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

The next game has been announced as Ranma 1/2 for the PC Engine

I've been giving it a try, and dear god is it bad. The controls and hit detection are borderline broken.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 1, 2018

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

somebodyelse posted:

AmiAmi in Akihabara (inside the Radio Taikan building, right by the JR Akihabara station) has a whole corner full of GCCX merch, plus the GCCX-themed coin-flipping game. (4th floor I think?)

https://twitter.com/spacecoyotl/status/1056836503618248704

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I've been pleasantly surprised over the last couple years in particular by just how much the show seems to have grown in popularity, despite not really changing a whole lot or trying to pander to new audiences or what have you. I'm glad it's doing well for them and that they clearly still enjoy doing it.

Comparison-wise, thinking about the Budokan event five years ago, the Messe event had Family Seats (four-years or above? Come watch together! ), which probably led to so many families there with their kids (and a lot of cute kiddie game costumes).

Aside from that, I saw a lot couples, and a lot more women there alone. Heck, I had a woman seated behind me who was so worked up she kept shouting commentary, and it cracked me up (because it was basically my thoughts.)

Attendance-wise. the numbers may vary, but the Budokan had 10,000 seats available, and about 6500-8000 of those seats filled. Messe had around 15,000 seats and over 10,000 were filled. At the Budokan, Kan commented that maybe the show had, five, maybe ten years to the end let's just have fun. At Messe, it it was more of a "See you in five years!" message.

This show will outlive me, I swear.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

If we clone Arino, it’ll go forever!

somebodyelse
Jul 20, 2013
Wow, thanks so much for the responses! Will definitely be sending her into AmiAmi it sounds like, and I'll keep the DVD sets in mind since she'll be exploring the locality anyway and Book Off sounds right up her alley.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

November 4th, 2018 marks Game Center CX's 15th anniversary! With a vow to "see you five years from now at Saitama Super Arena!" at the Messe, I'm looking forward to what's to come .

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I humbly wish to see Game Center CX: The Movie.

edit: I also wish to play the video games.

edit edit: I wish to be submerged in a sea of Arino merchandise.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 4, 2018

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Is there a way to donate video games to GCCX?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

BattleCattle posted:

Is there a way to donate video games to GCCX?

Kan has said the show has enough games "to keep going for ten years", so I don't think they need them.

______man is the next episode, what's it going to be?

The Messe special will air from 00:10 to 03:10 New Year Day, meaning they cut thirty minutes from the actual event (not including the thirty minute intermission.)

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

The Lawnmower Man! Fianally!!!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Myron posted:

The Lawnmower Man! Fianally!!!

Alas, that was Virtual Wars in Japan.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Kakaricho posted:

______man is the next episode, what's it going to be?

Finally we're getting a Pepsiman episode

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
probably something extremely unexciting to a westerner, like Ultra Man

e: booger man

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 9, 2018

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna go with Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman for the PC Engine.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

The White Dragon posted:

probably something extremely unexciting to a westerner, like Ultra Man

e: booger man

I might be an exception, but Ultra Man is quite exciting to me! Those games are real bad, but in a way that would probably suit Arino and the show pretty well.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A Seaman playthrough would be interesting.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

StoryTime posted:

I might be an exception, but Ultra Man is quite exciting to me! Those games are real bad, but in a way that would probably suit Arino and the show pretty well.

Ultra Man is how I found GCCX originally and it remains one of favs.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

TeaJay posted:

I'm gonna go with Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman for the PC Engine.

That's already been done.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

That's already been done.

Whoops! I don't tend to watch the raws unless it's a game I really like, so didn't remember that one.

Well, there are sequels too!

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

TeaJay posted:

Whoops! I don't tend to watch the raws unless it's a game I really like, so didn't remember that one.

There's a (poor) TV Nihon translation of Ultraman.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TeaJay posted:

The lone SNES game just re-released on cartridge by the same people that did Majuu-ou, too. I wouldn't be shocked if that's what they end up playing.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

That ZombieKabuto guy released Captain Tsubasa 2 part 2: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamecentercx/comments/9w41p4/zombiekabuto_game_center_cx_264_captain_tsubasa/

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Not a bad translation, though clearly not as good as what we get here. Was nice to watch in any case.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Captain Tsubasa was one of the challenges none of us wanted to tackle, so I'm grateful.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Because of all the text screens and repetition?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'd guess none of the translators are big football fans?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

TeaJay posted:

I'd guess none of the translators are big football fans?

Personally, I'd have to learn the sport, than the franchise. That's a lot of work.

Doing Koshien was fun because I know baseball, and I'm familiar with the Koshien tournament. If you have little to no time to work on an episode, it makes sense to pick episodes that won;t require getting a degree in soccer terminology, etc. to do well.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 13, 2018

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I’ll volunteer to read the scripts for any wrestling episodes, I watched the All Japan one raw and it wasn’t that hard to follow

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Next game is Super Bomberman, the new segment is Arino playing the role of a Famicom appraiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Kakaricho posted:

Next game is Super Bomberman, the new segment is Arino playing the role of a Famicom appraiser.

Oh man, my friends and I love Bomberman! I'd love it if the Super Bomberman ep gets subbed sooner rather than later. Not that you have to listen to me, but it'd make my pals and me happy.