Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

For me this was one of the peak Simpsons animation segments. The weird angles when Homer is sucked into the portal, when Devil Ned points his finger and says “Hey Bart”. The movement of the donut pushing arm and how they alternate the movement speed of the chewing and shoving to make it more believable. Insanely good shadow work and color palette for the kitchen at night. So good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydqkBG22Tk8

Brad Bird contributed to this segment — I believe he suggested the quick “flash” of Ned’s face when he disappears, which owns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Always love when animators make animator jokes, like cribbing Night On Bald Mountain for Satan.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Only a fraction of the way through this and I already see several things I strongly disagree with. First, he states that the "golden age" is season 3 - 13, but anyone who was a fan during that time pretty much unanimously agrees that it's really only 3 through 8, 2 through 10 or 11 if you're being generous.

Then he states that in the good seasons the show didn't want you to care about the characters and that they were just gag vehicles and now they try hard to get you to care about them, and that's just extremely wrong and pretty much the opposite of what is true. Skimmed the rest of it. I dunno, it's certainly a strange take. I think the "Fall of the Simpsons" video, though it has been mentioned numerous times in this thread, sums it up far better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk

Yeah, I didn't agree with all of it, but I think it brings up some good points in terms of the writers just being mean/negative for the hell of it.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Tried watching the latest THOH. The first act with Sideshow Bob repeatedly killing Bart was not the cartoon violence of Good Simpsons. It was lovely shock violence that just felt really out of place. I don't recall blood showing up much in earlier seasons, and when it did it was noted as being odd.

Homer falling backward over the fire hydrant was perfect and not grotesque at all. "This is even more painful than it looks."

SirPablo fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 1, 2018

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yeah Bob actually killing Bart, even in a non-canon a THOH episode, was kind of gross and along the lines of Skinner being not Skinner. You establish the theme and you iterate on it, not entirely reverse it and go the other way entirely. If it had been “just a dream” right before Bart dies and he wakes up like it’s Groundhog Day or something along those lines where we never actually see him die, that would be a lot more interesting. It’s the same reason the episode where Scratchy finally gets Itchy before the TV gets unplugged is so good, it never actually shows the payoff. Once you cross that threshold there’s no impact from then on, including looking back at all the Bob/Bart episodes. It ruins it retroactively. It just shows how little the writers care about the show now that they’re willing to burn bridges like that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw a clickbait article that rated all the Treehouse of Horrors. I'm not going to link it because new Simpsons was in the top ten.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Not that it completely disproves that blogger's theory but Lisa gets some positive episodes during the golden age. She makes a friend despite her gifts causing her to sabotage her friend's diarama, Bart goes out of his way to make up for her crappy birthday, and when she thought she was doomed to mediocrity she is told that the stupidity Gene is only the male side of the family. Just from the top of my head.

That being said I can agree that post golden age just likes to make Lisa suffer. Though I don't think it is played for laughs. More so having empathy for her suffering. The idea that she had such a terrible childhood and eventually that struggle helps her become successful makes a lot of sense in a city where it praises idiocy and ostricizes intelligence.

I don't think that is still the focus these days though. It's probably more the line of "I'm a male writer and it's hard writing female characters. Let's just use her as the punching bag for Bart and Homer's development ". Which a whole list of other problems and issues.

And yeah I realized my previous post was about not blaming writers and this post is the opposite. But drat it it's just so easy to.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Only a fraction of the way through this and I already see several things I strongly disagree with. First, he states that the "golden age" is season 3 - 13, but anyone who was a fan during that time pretty much unanimously agrees that it's really only 3 through 8, 2 through 10 or 11 if you're being generous.

Season 2 must be included in the golden age. Yes, season 3 is when they hit their stride, and it becomes what we remember as the golden age, but season 2 is a hell of a lot better than you remember, and it has all those iconic episodes that we remember, but can't seem to find during the rewatch.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Season 2 must be included in the golden age. Yes, season 3 is when they hit their stride, and it becomes what we remember as the golden age, but season 2 is a hell of a lot better than you remember, and it has all those iconic episodes that we remember, but can't seem to find during the rewatch.

I remember when I started buying the DVDs of the seasons and the jump in quality from season 1 to 2 was insane.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Hell, season 1 was way, better than I remembered as well. I'd throw that in as well.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fish and chips and dip posted:

Hell, season 1 was way, better than I remembered as well. I'd throw that in as well.

I'm going to attempt to pilfer my parents' copy of season 1 at xmas

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Houle posted:

Not that it completely disproves that blogger's theory but Lisa gets some positive episodes during the golden age.

"Summer of 4 Ft. 2" is a great one.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
summer of 4 ft 2 aired when i myself was an 8-year old geek trying to fit in with a new crowd, and it was such a perfect addition to my life :unsmith:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
A recent episode showed how all the different members of the simpson family finally die, and, well, see for yourself..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSE1itqRoEg

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

I agree, I actually love season 2. It has a darker and more real tone than the rest of the show. I definitely consider it part of the classic era, but some don’t because it isn’t quite in the style the show became known for.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Summer of 4 ft. 2. That's my moms favorite episode. She hated The Simpsons but never barred me from watching it. Her reasons for not liking it were pretty sound, she was a social worker and Homer would strangle Bart. She was fine with cartoon violence but did not like seeing parent/child abuse, no matter how wacky and lurid the setting. (She also had a thing with male on female violence, so when we played Mortal Kombat, she said she honestly would prefer we picked same gendered characters but I only ever chose Kitana)

She would sometimes overhear the TV and would laugh once in awhile. Over time she started watching it with us sometimes, along with KotH. She thought Summer of 4 to be funny, relatable and Lisa's friends as genuinely sweet.

Sorry, I know this is a Wendy's drive-thru but that episode reminds me of mommy. :3:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Yeah Bob actually killing Bart, even in a non-canon a THOH episode, was kind of gross and along the lines of Skinner being not Skinner. You establish the theme and you iterate on it, not entirely reverse it and go the other way entirely. If it had been “just a dream” right before Bart dies and he wakes up like it’s Groundhog Day or something along those lines where we never actually see him die, that would be a lot more interesting. It’s the same reason the episode where Scratchy finally gets Itchy before the TV gets unplugged is so good, it never actually shows the payoff. Once you cross that threshold there’s no impact from then on, including looking back at all the Bob/Bart episodes. It ruins it retroactively. It just shows how little the writers care about the show now that they’re willing to burn bridges like that.

That was the last THOH I watched, yeah that was awful for the Bob/Bart dynamic. Instead of Bob having an interesting crime plot that Bart foils, we get a middle aged man keeping the body of a 10 year old in his house to repeatedly mutilate and play with. It gave Bob a child predator vibe he shouldn’t have.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There was a hosed up THOH last year where Homer ate pieces of himself until he was just a torso. It was so messed up they brought back the warning before the show that they abandoned in like Season 7 or so, except it wasn't even humorous like it used to be. It was just a black screen with text that was like "hey, tonight's episode is pretty disturbing."

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

There was a hosed up THOH last year where Homer ate pieces of himself until he was just a torso. It was so messed up they brought back the warning before the show that they abandoned in like Season 7 or so, except it wasn't even humorous like it used to be. It was just a black screen with text that was like "hey, tonight's episode is pretty disturbing."

To be fair, dressing up the warnings as a joke probably takes a decent amount of punch from them, and I suspect many people didn’t take the old warnings seriously.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

QwertySanchez posted:

A recent episode showed how all the different members of the simpson family finally die, and, well, see for yourself..

this is the worst thing I’ve ever seen. that was supposed to be a parody of the final episode of some show , right ? it came across as mean spirited , depressing , and morbid for something that’s supposed to be a fun TV show .

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah it's a parody of Six Feet Under and it's bad. Feels like new Simpsons saw the success of Family Guy and South Park and decided that being lovely to your characters was the way to go. 

Six Feet Under didn't age well at all but I remember people being choked up by that montage. They took that idea and used it to debase the characters instead. 

Hey kids, watch Homer get murdered by cops lol. 

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 1, 2018

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Double post, oops.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
South Park literally has more continuity and storylines than new Simpsons. Southpark , even makes jokes. The Simpsons is your brother in a coma , the doctor says he will have a 1 percent chance of regaining consciousness , so you keep watching for that 1 percent . Pull the plug , Al .

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Didn't Family Guy kill the dog on screen for no reason? And brought him back? That's another one that needs taken off life support.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Family Guy, when it wants to, can still be good and funny. See the episode from a few weeks ago about Stevie and Bryan getting shrunk. Too often though Family Guy goes for the extremely mean spirited and/or violent joke. Pretty sure they’ve wanted to be cancelled for a while but, like The Simpsons, are immune.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

QwertySanchez posted:

good thing 80-year old Bart was still in his Chief Justice robes, otherwise I’d say they don’t give a poo poo about continuity anymore!!!

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i think seth mcfarlane is contracted to make you laugh atleast once per episode, and otherwise he can do all the dumb poo poo he wants for the next 20 minutes. family guy is just random monkey cheese nonsense anyways.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Bobs Burgers is pretty sweet. It hasn't done many pop culture of the week episodes either.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

this is the worst thing I’ve ever seen. that was supposed to be a parody of the final episode of some show , right ? it came across as mean spirited , depressing , and morbid for something that’s supposed to be a fun TV show .

Agreed, the Homer/Wiggum section sums up all that is wrong with the show.

I did like how it immediately went to “Executive Producer Al Jean”, like the BTK killer taunting the police

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

look at the likes/dislikes ratio

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CodfishCartographer posted:

To be fair, dressing up the warnings as a joke probably takes a decent amount of punch from them, and I suspect many people didn’t take the old warnings seriously.

Yeah! Writing comedy IS hard

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Agreed, the Homer/Wiggum section sums up all that is wrong with the show.

I did like how it immediately went to “Executive Producer Al Jean”, like the BTK killer taunting the police

i think Al Jean legit gets off on how far he's run the show into the ground and how madddd it makes people. plus they seem to have this dumb grudge against "pc culture run amok!!| I/E Mr Burns visits his alma mater.

Milo and POTUS posted:

look at the likes/dislikes ratio

show should have ended after behind the laughter. or how about just a coffin getting nailed shut and each time the hammer hits a nail, it's marge saying "what a noob"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I can't believe they did that and kept doing it.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I don't think anyone has used noob as an insult in YEARS. Like it fell out if fashion in the 2000s.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Milo and POTUS posted:

I can't believe they did that and kept doing it.

marge says grandpa got uber pwned when he falls down the stairs and dies

lisa says he totes wasn't watching where he was going

homer says how l337 the guys at work think he is because he got a promotion to nuclear safety inspector, a job he has never done before, and doesn't know how to do

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

QwertySanchez posted:

Every once in a while I see something like this from New Simpsons and I go, "well, that wasn't the best but I appreciate that they tried to do something creative."

Then I find out they just parodied stole everything including the music from another more popular series.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Every once in a while I see something like this from New Simpsons and I go, "well, that wasn't the best but I appreciate that they tried to do something creative."

Then I find out they just parodied stole everything including the music from another more popular series.

This was also true in the golden age, but they were a lot more clever about it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

QwertySanchez posted:

Hm. If you know it's a 6FU parody, it's far from the least funny thing the show's ever done. If you don't, it probably comes off a lot worse. (Seriously though? 6FU finished up before I assume most of the current viewership of The Simpsons was even born) Shoehorning a Game of Thrones reference into it was the worst part. Sidebar: I wonder if it would be funny if they made a montage like this for every Game of Thrones death. Double-sidebar: The end of Six Feet Under made me cry for like 3 hours and I have not been able to rewatch the series further than like season 2, probably because I know I'll have to watch that montage again.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Haha, didn't we all have that hilarious friend who always cracked us up until we realized all his jokes were just stolen from shows we weren't allowed to watch?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Elderbean posted:

Bobs Burgers is pretty sweet. It hasn't done many pop culture of the week episodes either.

I saw the Halloween episode (only one I've seen) and it seemed ... fine. Like, nothing outrageously funny or novel, it just seemed like, y'know, an animated sitcom. Like Bojack without any of the sharpness or character introspection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I saw the Halloween episode (only one I've seen) and it seemed ... fine. Like, nothing outrageously funny or novel, it just seemed like, y'know, an animated sitcom. Like Bojack without any of the sharpness or character introspection.

It's not always hilarious but it's good natured and a lot of the episodes involve some adventure. It's something I like to throw on while drawing or whatever 'cause it's wholesome. :kimchi: