Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Susie is clearly a moomin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Larryb posted:

Also, I've only personally experienced this through watching playthroughs so far but how does fighting actually work in this game? Is it the same as Undertale where you have to time your hits or do you just attack automatically for a set amount of damage?

"attack"?

I don't understand the question

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Larryb posted:

Also, I've only personally experienced this through watching playthroughs so far but how does fighting actually work in this game? Is it the same as Undertale where you have to time your hits or do you just attack automatically for a set amount of damage?

it's timed hits

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

She's a real dummy

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Just finished the game last night and had some sleep to let thoughts percolate a bit. Love the party combat and how you must now account for other party member's behaviors because it will reflect on you as well. Warning enemies about Susie was something that immediately made sense to me once I realized I had no control over her. That said, Susie is easily my favorite new character in all of this.

I am seeing this world more as an alternate universe, Sans turning up at the end kind of clinches it for me, the way he's so tongue-in-cheek-about not knowing you and just moving in and whatnot. He's here from the neighboring universe of Undertale, and so are you, he knows it and you know it, but he's just gonna be coy about it as usual, whatever his reasons for being here may be.

Pretty convinced that The Knight is gonna turn out to be some sort of pastiche Dark World version of Papyrus, much in the same way Lancer emulated Sans(i.e. off-screen warping, a vending booth, sense of obligation to do something he doesn't want to).

As for that ending, yeah, it could totally be a "Chara controlling them/our soul being shoved into a cage", but I got the impression this wasn't anything new. And by that I mean the protagonist throwing their heart in the cage. The cage was already there before we stepped in and clearly had been used for this purpose before. Especially given the townsfolk general attitude towards Kris, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this was a semi-regular occurrence, the family and townsfolk never quite sure which version of Kris they're getting on any given day. Kris could be Chara, or possessed by us, or whatever metanarrative makes sense. But Kris could also just be a teenager who's struggling with very deep emotions and dark thoughts and doesn't know how to handle them other than to toss his heart in a rusty cage. We might be witnessing how someone like Chara comes into being, and could still be saved, rather than someone who is already too far gone.

On the flip-side you have Susie who goes from being an outright violent bully to someone who actually listens to her friends. I absolutely loved every time I tried to get her to ACT near the end and she'd huff about it a bit before being talked into it by Ralsei. Trying to get her to flirt was the best. And going with her idea to knock down the crown was one of the most fun parts for me in the game. Again, easily my favorite character in all of this. Especially given that early impressions made me think she'd be going down a more Flowey-like route, with the menacing toothy smiles and evil maniacal laughter, which apparently turned out to be more bark than(literal) bite.

Well, those are my initial one-playthrough thoughts. Definitely gonna give it another go soon. See if anything else catches my eye or if I feel any different about things going into this already knowing what to expect instead of going in blind.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Susie (Vriska)

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't think susie can be categorized as a specific animal

Mean Girl is the strongest animal

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

Larryb posted:

I personally saw her as a dinosaur/dragon type monster personally (mostly because of the snout and teeth). She looks fairly reptilian at any rate

The description of her starting weapon, the Mane Ax, is "Beginner's ax forged from the mane of a dragon whelp." Since Kris' weapon, the Wood Blade, is sort of derived from the pencil they're holding in the real world (and Susie is unsure where the ax came from), it seems likely that the ax came into being the same way.

So she might be a dragon, and the ax came from her hair? Or just a lock of dragon hair she was holding onto?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Susie....is excellent

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
some of susie's dastardly crimes:

- illicit chalk consumption

- grievous assault with a kickball

- body-slamming the soda machines

- once ate all the ham sandwiches

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Susie....is excellent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrm07UeDm08

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Two Inch Bee posted:

The description of her starting weapon, the Mane Ax, is "Beginner's ax forged from the mane of a dragon whelp." Since Kris' weapon, the Wood Blade, is sort of derived from the pencil they're holding in the real world (and Susie is unsure where the ax came from), it seems likely that the ax came into being the same way.

So she might be a dragon, and the ax came from her hair? Or just a lock of dragon hair she was holding onto?

You know that Susie rocks the heck out to The Runaways on her cheap-rear end beginner's electric guitar for sure though

she's probably really bad at it too

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad everyone can agree that Susie is real, and strong, and our friend

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

voltcatfish posted:

Susie....is excellent

:yeah:

Her whole “you know what, friendship is good, I like you and can admit it to myself” arc made me super happy :3:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah it really seems like she's just shy and awkward and everyone, including the teacher took her aloofness and her intimidating physical appearance and pidgeonholed her as a bully, and so a bully she became.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

I mean she does also bully you and slam you against the locker and threaten to eat your face off too

all that said Susie is still best new character

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pakled posted:

Yeah it really seems like she's just shy and awkward and everyone, including the teacher took her aloofness and her intimidating physical appearance and pidgeonholed her as a bully, and so a bully she became.

it seems like most of her acting out just comes from her ridiculous appetite more than anything

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
looks like alphys sucks as usual

Undyne was too good for her (they were always a bad match), glad they're strangers in this timeline.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wait a second.

Monsters are buried now?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Yeah man alphys sucks.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I had forgotten the weird goon hate on Alphys

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Re: the bathroom if you keep flushing it toriel gets mad at you

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Samovar posted:

Wait a second.

Monsters are buried now?

Well, they memorialize them with gravestones, anyway. We don't know if anything is actually buried, I don't think. Possibly some influence from human culture? There are books about the history of humans and monsters, after all.

Your Computer posted:

I had forgotten the weird goon hate on Alphys

They see too much of themselves in her.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Snake Maze posted:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

she lied to become an important scientist then mutated a few dozen monsters into amalgamates using her position irresponsibly, then covered it up by locking them in the basement for who knows how long

what's not to love?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Snake Maze posted:

I just got sick of the phone buzzing every few seconds and her taking up valuable mettaton time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lmao at not liking Alphys

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

gently caress you, smug bird

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

:emptyquote:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

No Wave posted:

she lied to become an important scientist then mutated a few dozen monsters into amalgamates using her position irresponsibly, then covered it up by locking them in the basement for who knows how long

what's not to love?

Yeah I was about to say, she's done some really hosed up stuff. Then again, if you've played Undertale, chances are very good that you have too.

I like Alphys though, she's an interesting character. I can see why other people might not but the intensity seems a little unwarranted

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

eonwe posted:

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eonwe posted:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

If you're having trouble running the game at normal speed in fullscreen try disabling features like G-Sync and manually set your display to 60Hz. That fixed it for me.

Pass it on. :shittydog:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

She's a bad+ineffectual teacher which is I'm pretty sure a worse crime than anything she did in the first game

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

lets hang out posted:

She's a bad+ineffectual teacher which is I'm pretty sure a worse crime than anything she did in the first game
do you really think she had no responsibility for the amalgam thing? Like she was doing live experiments on depressed monsters and turned them into, uh, "monsters" (and kept them in a dark basement so she wouldnt lose her job). That whole thing was so hosed up.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
classroom management skills.... poor.
subject mastery (non-anime).... poor.
preparedness for daily lesson plan... poor.
Also, writing the assignment after everyone sits down? bad. She should at least have an essential question up on the board or something.
Also, based on where the various characters are sitting, it looks like she let them choose their own seats, which only ends up hurting lower achievers and allowing high achieving students to sit in the front and suck up all your time.
Alphys is the Worst Teacher.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The ways Alphys is quirky and unusual are, unlike the rest the major characters in Undertale, kind of real and unhealthy. Papyrus and Undyne are over-the-top and wacky, and Alphys is depressed and socially reclusive and unable to emotionally handle disappointing others. She latches on to anyone who will give her the time of day but fears being genuine because she hates herself and sees no reason they wouldn't. Her entire deal in Undertale is showing that support exists and people like her anyway.

Alphys-as-teacher in the intro to Deltarune has these same flaws in a more social profession, in addition to the implication she's uncomfortable with Kris and Susie. Class seems to go on fine while they're not there.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GeneX posted:

:yeah:

Her whole “you know what, friendship is good, I like you and can admit it to myself” arc made me super happy :3:

Yeah, It took me a bit to warm up to her: I just wanted her to stop being a jerk, and it was kind of obvious she wouldn't listen/overwhelming friendship wasn't going to work. But the second she started finding a friend in Lancer, I loved every moment. It was a really believable way for her to come around on ACTing.

I think one of my fears is Chapter 2, or the future parts of the game suberting things too much. I definitely trust Toby Fox, but I worry a theme of this game might be admonishing the player for seeking out these happy stories of make believe? Like I get a strong vibe of the AU stuff and Dark World has to do with themes of escapism, similar to how UT brought that up with resetting and replaying to squeeze every bit out of the game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No Wave posted:

do you really think she had no responsibility for the amalgam thing? Like she was doing live experiments on depressed monsters and turned them into, uh, "monsters" (and kept them in a dark basement so she wouldnt lose her job). That whole thing was so hosed up.

That’s uhhhh not it. The monsters were dead or dying and this was an attempt at reviving them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

You seem to be confusing "liking Alphys" with "thinking Alphys is perfect and did nothing wrong"

Is she a good character? Yes. Is she a flawed character? Hell yes.