Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
because then at least you get some laughs in before we all die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bob dobbs is dead posted:

and there will be bits of earth still unaffected by the water wars, just like lots of the earth is still unaffected by the oil wars, and the researchers, being part of the comparatively-rich first world, will gently caress off over there and continue researching

at no point in the last 4000 years has society not been in a state of at least partial breakdown. if the romans poo poo themselves the arabs will keep the memory of socrates alive, you know?

And those bits of the earth are going to be reserved for the billionaires and their minions, not for any of us. We will be left outside to die horrible while they put up their 30% efficient solar panels in the sincere belief they are the most moral people.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

KiteAuraan posted:

Teach them Hokuto Shinken, or, if they are fuckups, Nanto Seiken.

C'mon, Nanto was way cooler. Can you slice off someone's face with your bare foot? No? Then stop talking poo poo.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Marijuana posted:

other books did corporate VR hellworld future 20-30 years before and about a million times better than RP1

Quote yer sources.

So I may read them!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

madmatt112 posted:

Quote yer sources.

So I may read them!

most cyberpunk fiction I imagine
And that one piers anthony novel about an incel that hacks a second life style mmo

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
RP1 is just a less charming Snow Crash

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The Let's Read of the book was hilarious, but I cannot imagine reading RP1 myself without tearing out my own eyeballs.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

There was a story on the radio the other day about a few studies finding kids are not developing fine motor skills like, at all, because they don't handle pencils or color or do crafts anywhere near as much as they used to. It was in the context of "all these people are coming to med school to be surgeons and they can't do delicate poo poo with their hands" so look forward to that the next time you need major surgery

you have any idea what study they were referencing? that is actually my gfs thesis that shes working on rn

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Why is it too much? What does a smartphone give a 13 year old that can't wait until they're older?

i dont use a smartphone or a cellphone even but i can easily imagine how being a 13 year old with no smartphone sucks a whole shitload. theres a significant aspect of social life that your daughter doesn't have access to. its definitely a harsh measure and probably not necessary

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I wasn't allowed to have a smartphone until I was 18 and I turned into a depressed loser nerd with no friends, although that may have something to do with being the kind of person who posts on SA rather than not having a phone.

Seriously though it did suck extremely hard and made it difficult to stay in the loop on any social circle stuff going on, and I imagine that having 24/7 internet access and social media has only become more integrated into kids' social lives than when I was going through it.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

bob dobbs is dead posted:

research poo poo is at 48%

wait 15 years, they'll get there

(or they'll go down the "cheap as gently caress" route they've been previously going over

it's lovely moore's law)

campaign of extermination almost over for coal poo poo. replaced by natgas mostly, tho, although the campaign of extermination midway for natgas

"reseach poo poo" is multi-junction solar cells sensitive to different ranges of light stacked on top of each others. Three midgets in a trench coat do not make for one tall man.

"cheap as gently caress" is great, as long as you can get over 15% or so, which is pretty drat doable.

If you want to have hope, perovskite solar cells really are the "spray on solar cell" of the future, it's just that they poo poo the bed super fast. If somebody can stabilize them to last 20 years, then you'll be able to crank them out super fast.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
it's great because either the kid has no social life or they participate in social life now which is mostly social media, and surprise surprise a large proportion of teens are extremely anxious, depressive, and "prefer texting because face to face conversations don't allow enough time to decide on a response"

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

it's great because either the kid has no social life or they participate in social life now which is mostly social media, and surprise surprise a large proportion of teens are extremely anxious, depressive, and "prefer texting because face to face conversations don't allow enough time to decide on a response"

My teens, early 20s ( :corsair: ) kids had trouble doing things like

Calling the doctor to make an appointment
Going to the dmv to get a liscence.

And surprisingly

Looking up what they needed at the dmv and when to go. For all the time they spend on the internet they couldnt find poo poo on it. YouTube and social media. Was all they ever used and they couldnt actually use the internet.

They need to codify what's after millennial because millenials learned to internet and the next gen stepped into an established glorified chatroom and that's all they know.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

gave my kid a phone solely so we'd have a way to punish her that she cares about and it's working beautifully

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

babypolis posted:

i dont use a smartphone or a cellphone even but i can easily imagine how being a 13 year old with no smartphone sucks a whole shitload. theres a significant aspect of social life that your daughter doesn't have access to. its definitely a harsh measure and probably not necessary

What is a 13 year old missing out on by having a flip phone and not a smart phone?

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

My kids have a pretty active social life. It's just not digital. I think it's pretty good for them, you can learn to twitter/facebook/or whatever later.

spacetoaster has issued a correction as of 16:56 on Nov 1, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

What is a 13 year old missing out on by having a flip phone and not a smart phone?

social media

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

spacetoaster posted:

the hellscape of performative joy and keeping up with the joneses that is our only remaining shared culture :)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

boar guy posted:

social media

I'm rather happy with that being something other people do.

Here's some stuff if you're actually interested in the effects of this stuff:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/12/humans-have-shorter-attention-span-than-goldfish-thanks-to-smart/ Attention span is worse

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4183915/ Self-esteem is worse

https://www.livescience.com/52148-social-media-teen-sleep-anxiety.html Anxiety and sleep is worse

boar guy posted:

that's great, man

:thumbsup:

spacetoaster has issued a correction as of 17:03 on Nov 1, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

that's great, man

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's easy to say that but if your social circle uses WhatsApp and you have a dumb phone you're out of the social circle. Same with messenger or whatever else.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

In high school my entire school communicated near-exclusively through Snapchat and Whatsapp so I basically just couldn't communicate with people outside of seeing them in person Monday-Friday. Which I guess might not seem like a big deal to olds but it really sucked. I have no idea what your daughter's situation is spacetoaster but in my experience not having a smartphone is a major obstacle to having a social life as a teen.

Crazycryodude has issued a correction as of 17:09 on Nov 1, 2018

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/12/humans-have-shorter-attention-span-than-goldfish-thanks-to-smart/ Attention span is worse

https://www.livescience.com/52148-social-media-teen-sleep-anxiety.html Anxiety and sleep is worse

yeah YOU are happy. maybe dont impose your own beliefs on your daughter?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Kinda the old school equivalent of 'my parents don't let me go outside'

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Outrail posted:

Yeah this is a good analogy

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

babypolis posted:

maybe dont impose your own beliefs on your daughter?

Holy poo poo

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

not having a smartphone is a major obstacle to having a social life as a teen.

might as well just homeschool them, really :)

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Holy poo poo

theres a difference between teaching values and imposing them

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

babypolis posted:

Giving a child a flip phone vs a smart phone is just what hitler would have done. :colbert:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Outrail posted:

PISS

spacetoaster posted:

Holy poo poo

my dad went insane and wouldn't let me have friends or go outside after i got home from school ages 12-17

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Giving a child a flip phone vs a smart phone is just what hitler would have done. :colbert:

i dont think ive never seen anyone godwin themselves like this before

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

babypolis posted:

lol u dum

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

spacetoaster posted:

I can't say these are the most convincing articles

quote:

The relationship between SNS use and mental problems to this day remains controversial, and research on this issue is faced with numerous challenges. This concise review focuses on the recent findings regarding the suggested connection between SNS and mental health issues such as depressive symptoms, changes in self-esteem, and Internet addiction.
It can be expected that future research regarding the potential effects of online social networking on mental health is going to be faced with numerous difficulties. First, so far, many authors investigating this issue have used a cross-sectional study approach in their methodology, followed by correlation analysis. The existence of a correlation does not necessarily equal causality

Also the first one says humans have shorter attention spans than goldfish

feller
Jul 5, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

it's what hitler's dad did and look what happened!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

so you are going to tell me there isnt a difference between teaching your kids safe sex and putting a chastity belt on them

you can tell your kids something is bad or harmful and still let em make their own choices, within reason

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

he does good work

https://twitter.com/AdamPadilla/status/1026532073413259266

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feral Integral posted:

Also the first one says humans have shorter attention spans than goldfish

Democrats circa 2016 confirms this. they made Dubya into a heroic figure for gently caress’s sake

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the phone is a trade off. no, it's not great for a kid to have one. yes, every other kid has one. it's probably not great for adults to have them, either, but kids are going to have one for the rest of their lives so let them develop good habits with them instead of lawnmowering the obstacle down imho :shrug:

also install qustodio or something like it and they dont even really have a phone, they have privileges to use one of your phones

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

babypolis posted:

so you are going to tell me there isnt a difference between teaching your kids safe sex and putting a chastity belt on them

you can tell your kids something is bad or harmful and still let em make their own choices, within reason

A chastity belt would be an abstainance arguement, not safe sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cakesmith handyman posted:

A chastity belt would be an abstainance arguement, not safe sex.

That really depends on its armor rating.