Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

When people ask my salary I just give a number at least 25% higher but like say "I'm willing to negotiate down if the job is what I'm really hoping for" if they get iffy about it. It usually is enough to get past the first phone screen at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

When people ask my salary I just give a number at least 25% higher but like say "I'm willing to negotiate down if the job is what I'm really hoping for" if they get iffy about it. It usually is enough to get past the first phone screen at least.

that behavior has a terrible anchoring effect because it is entered into the applicant management system

you have probably been hamstringing your negotiations every time you did this

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that behavior has a terrible anchoring effect because it is entered into the applicant management system

you have probably been hamstringing your negotiations every time you did this

Perhaps, but job hunting in Vancouver is not the six figure paradise that it is just south of the border. It's pretty much impossible to escape that question.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

So what happens if you like your job but they give you a pay bump after a while that seems low

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Respectfully decline and discuss what you've researched your market value to be. Give a counteroffer.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

CPColin posted:

Reminder that in California, potential employers are no longer even allowed to ask about your prior salary! I bet that one is still filtering through HR handbooks.

nyc too now

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
What's that silly technical interview-esque examples site? I want to do something interesting in C and I just strugglebus'd my way through fizzbuzz, so I apparently need more boring practice.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

codewars?

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
hackerrank is actually pretty good

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

Perhaps, but job hunting in Vancouver is not the six figure paradise that it is just south of the border. It's pretty much impossible to escape that question.

weaseling of out of that single question is 90% of the trick in salary negotiation

don’t be afraid to make it uncomfortable. the folks doing the asking are trained to use social cues to extract information applicants would rather not share.

make it awkward.

let silence hang in the air if you gotta

worst comes to worst, a straight up refusal is an option

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
this is a short, easy read for people who are not professional negotiators, and reallly only negotiate one type of monetary transaction ever

https://www.amazon.com/Negotiating-Your-Salary-Make-Minute/dp/0931213207/

seriously 1/3rd of the book is about ways to politely decline to discuss your prior salary too early

it’s that important

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximo Roboto posted:

So what happens if you like your job but they give you a pay bump after a while that seems low

this is every job after a few years

the only way to reliably keep your pay in-line with the market is to change jobs periodically

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is a short, easy read for people who are not professional negotiators, and reallly only negotiate one type of monetary transaction ever

https://www.amazon.com/Negotiating-Your-Salary-Make-Minute/dp/0931213207/

seriously 1/3rd of the book is about ways to politely decline to discuss your prior salary too early

it’s that important

7 bucks for Kindle and only 200 pages, may be worth a read

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

make it awkward, I can do that. figgies here I come

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is every job after a few years

the only way to reliably keep your pay in-line with the market is to change jobs periodically

Idk if this is always true, but sometimes it is lifechangingly true

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

7 bucks for Kindle and only 200 pages, may be worth a read

it is definitely worth a read, and the first 50 pages or so are a summary of the book overall. you don't have to finish the whole thing

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

pointsofdata posted:

Idk if this is always true, but sometimes it is lifechangingly true

my old coworker used to have title "principal engineer" at a tech major, he got paid 110k total comp/year

switched to goog, made enough money to retire in 3 years (600k total comp/year), hosed off to work on VR things

"how the gently caress do you get that title and 110k total comp/year?"

"they never gave me a raise"

i didn't even know that was possible, but his lambo looked very out of place

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
Any of y'all ever end up working at a place that made you do one of those "personality and aptitude" tests? like the CCAT? Every one of them I've seen has ended up being a bunch of weirdos.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Zaxxon posted:

Any of y'all ever end up working at a place that made you do one of those "personality and aptitude" tests? like the CCAT? Every one of them I've seen has ended up being a bunch of weirdos.

Avoid like the plague.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

switched to goog, made enough money to retire in 3 years (600k total comp/year), hosed off to work on VR things

holy moly this must have been in the early days, right?

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Rex-Goliath posted:

sounds like a very high L6/ lower L7. i have a friend over there as an L7 and gets 700k iirc

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

qhat posted:

Avoid like the plague.

Have you ever received a CV with the candidates myers-briggs on it? I kinda wanted to reject them out of hand but apparently that's not a good enough reason.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

Have you ever received a CV with the candidates myers-briggs on it? I kinda wanted to reject them out of hand but apparently that's not a good enough reason.

who but an intp would even do that

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

who but an intp would even do that

idk but it is a terrible idea. how is it ever going to benefit you?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rex-Goliath posted:

early days of 2015-2018

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

What market salary research resources are there even besides PayScale and Glassdoor self-reporting

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Zaxxon posted:

my current job. my boss used it to hire for low ego and it appears to have worked out quite well but i can’t really recommend anyone else roll those dice.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Flaming June posted:

sounds like a very high L6/ lower L7. i have a friend over there as an L7 and gets 700k iirc

yeah once you hit principal (or staff at google, i think google came from sun levels and amazon came from microsoft?) comp starts to get very out of control. its also a pretty high bar to get over as you either have to be pretty drat accomplished outside of the company OR have the luck to have an org put enough trust in you to give you the kind of projects that get you to that level

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Maximo Roboto posted:

What market salary research resources are there even besides PayScale and Glassdoor self-reporting

ieee and stackoverflow both do salary surveys but that's still self-reported

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i make like 160k in the middle of the silly con valley, not at a big tech corp, but i do very little work. i've basically optimized for money/effort ratio. i worry that if i moved to a bigco like google chasing after double my salary, i'd encounter too much other bullshit like politics and having to actually work, and not just get away with appearing like the smartest person in the room so nobody fucks with me. so i just stay here. but part of me suspects that all the people at facebook/google/etc making 300k+ accomplish just as little as i do

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I know someone who works as a sse for deepmind, idk what they earn but they were a super motivated and intelligent person when I knew them at university. I don't think I would be able to roll with them in terms of raw ability.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i make like 160k in the middle of the silly con valley, not at a big tech corp, but i do very little work. i've basically optimized for money/effort ratio. i worry that if i moved to a bigco like google chasing after double my salary, i'd encounter too much other bullshit like politics and having to actually work, and not just get away with appearing like the smartest person in the room so nobody fucks with me. so i just stay here. but part of me suspects that all the people at facebook/google/etc making 300k+ accomplish just as little as i do

They accomplish as little as you do, but they have to put in four times the effort doing it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TerminalRaptor posted:

They accomplish as little as you do, but they have to put in four times the effort doing it.

lol no

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i make shitloads of money and i do as little work as possible to achieve it

that's the miracle of fortune 500 baby

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

DELETE CASCADE posted:

got kids? Then keep the job. Otherwise life is for living man what are you doing

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Gazpacho posted:

got kids? Then keep the job. Otherwise life is for living man what are you doing

Sounds like he's got it figured out, I don't know what you're trying to suggest... go to a tech giant and kill yourself working for more money?

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
tech giant work is just as half-assable as normal work. I don't understand where you are getting the misconception that everyone is working like a dog in that world

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

GenJoe posted:

tech giant work is just as half-assable as normal work. I don't understand where you are getting the misconception that everyone is working like a dog in that world

well, its the image they try and cultivate.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ADINSX posted:

Sounds like he's got it figured out, I don't know what you're trying to suggest... go to a tech giant and kill yourself working for more money?
i think there might be a continuum between "hardly working at all" and "killing yourself"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
more to the point, spending years in a sinecure position is a bad long term career move wrt ensuring future employment