Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

King Vidiot posted:

Please don't show me poo poo like this, not now

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Boinks posted:

These slip covers are awesome. My Wal Mart still hasn't stocked most of them though, but I was able to find Krull today. Some of them weren't slips they were just cards covering the fronts.

I don’t know...Mill Creek. Do these releases look ok? They’re not actually vhs transfers like they do for those 100-movie sets, right?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I Before E posted:

Secret Honor

While I'd love a poseable Richard Nixon with accessories like a framed picture of Henry Kissinger (I haven't actually seen the movie), nah it was Night of the Demons from Shout Factory.

It's amusing that it's not even out of stock yet and people are already trying to price gouge it on eBay for like twice the price.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Boinks posted:

These slip covers are awesome. My Wal Mart still hasn't stocked most of them though, but I was able to find Krull today. Some of them weren't slips they were just cards covering the fronts.

When I finally saw Last Action Hero in widescreen I was floored by how good it looked.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Here's a code for a digital copy of Mad Max: Fury Road: 47V9JQY3WQTQ

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Here's a code for a digital copy of Mad Max: Fury Road: 47V9JQY3WQTQ

Thanks!

Edit: oooh it's 4K I don't have any of those

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 1, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Boinks posted:

Are these available for purchase online anywhere, or in-store only?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Indicator LE of Night of the Demon is truly incredible. The packaging and presentation is of the highest quality and the amount of features is mind blowing. And on top of that we get not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 different cuts of the film. I'm pretty sure this is the best single-film physical release I've ever bought.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BOOSness Hammocks posted:

I don’t know...Mill Creek. Do these releases look ok? They’re not actually vhs transfers like they do for those 100-movie sets, right?

Mill Creek's individual releases are usually okay. They're nothing special, and if there's an Arrow or Scream Factory available you should go for that instead, but if it's the only way to get a movie they do a serviceable enough job.

The thing that really kind of makes them iffy is that, from what I gather, they don't really do their own transfers or restorations or anything. If you're buying a Mill Creek release, you're getting whatever's already out there print-wise in 1080p, likely with very little features.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The people with the massive blu collections- Are you going to rebuy for uhd?

I somehow managed to resist buying a ton of things with the intention of owning the uhd version at some point with that being the reference quality/definitive copy I'd have to buy.

If 8k scans become a thing I'd be super pissed though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My collection isn't massive, but I'll probably only rebuy UHD for stuff that I really really love. Blu-ray is a barely compromised home format in my opinion. Nearly as good seeing something in a theater.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

I somehow managed to resist buying a ton of things with the intention of owning the uhd version at some point with that being the reference quality/definitive copy I'd have to buy.

It's case by case for me. But really there hasn't been a ton of overlap yet so it's not a major issue. So far I've re-bought Blade Runner, Halloween, and John Wick 2 so I don't think anyone would argue those aren't worth it.

I didn't own any Mission Impossible films on blu ray, so that's been fun to start buying those. Same with The Matrix trilogy, I guess it was always so available on t.v. and streaming that I never bought it on blu ray. Perfect opportunity now to see them again in 4k and own them for the first time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

zer0spunk posted:

So far, no. I don’t have a 4K TV or player, nor do I plan to get either until they come way down in price. I’ve got an assload of retro consoles hooked up to my TV so space in the entertainment center is already at a premium - I’m using my PS3 to play Blu-rays, and space limitations is a big factor in why my laserdisc player isn’t hooked up, and why I don’t have a region-free Blu-ray Player.

The only UHDs I’ve got are because they came with the steelbook I bought, and there wasn’t an option for a Blu-ray-only steelbook or something.

I didn’t start “collecting” movies until DVD was rolling out (again, I worked for Blockbuster), and I really only upgraded a lot of them to Blu-ray because it was a significant jump in quality. I don’t see myself overhauling the collection with UHD unless it’s a significant jump over Blu-ray, and by the time I get around to getting a TV and player, I suspect the price for discs will have come down significantly.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

zer0spunk posted:

Probably won’t be an issue. It’s something we have discussed beforehand but UHD’s market is super limited and it’s also technically limited. What do I mean?

First, lots of brand new movies coming out on UHD are just upscaled 2K prints. Most of the time it should provide some benefit, but it can also make CG and other effects stand out poorly. Film-based movies/prints see the most benefit but those are becoming rarer.

Secondly, physical home media is dead. That’s why we have this thread. There is not the demand for discs like there used to be and that affects pricing so the entry price remains high (UHD players are still $200-300 bucks, 4 years into the format. I’m sorry, why do they need to be that more expensive vs a BD player?) and limits the resources that studios will pour into releases.

I was gonna grab the UHD of GoodFellas on sale the other week, but saw on Blu-Ray that the UHD releass has major issues. If a film like GoodFellas is dealing with that, then what hope does the format have?

So 8K will probably never reach physical media, and UHD releases will need to get better. I would get a UHD of Lawrence of Arabia in a heartbeat vs the latest Marvel release. In fact, I’ve heard Disney has been really lovely about 4K releases, so it’s not like the format has clear studio support.

Get what you want in 4K, but don’t feel obligated.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Does Blu-ray.com have good comparison photos between Blu-ray and UHD?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Secondly, physical home media is dead.

Physical disc sales still make up 33% of household movie spending. It's not "dead".

BTW CD sales beat digital download sales last year.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/22/17152120/digital-downloads-cd-vinyl-riaa-2017-report

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Really curious what portion of "owned" digital movies weren't bought but were instead redeemed. I bet it's high.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Physical disc sales still make up 33% of household movie spending. It's not "dead".

BTW CD sales beat digital download sales last year.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/22/17152120/digital-downloads-cd-vinyl-riaa-2017-report

How much of that was DVD vs BD/UHD? The bottom most tier is gonna survive because there’s Alaska and lovely internet throughout the US, etc. but if you can afford BD, you can probably afford and/or have access to digital media.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Boywhiz88 posted:

How much of that was DVD vs BD/UHD? The bottom most tier is gonna survive because there’s Alaska and lovely internet throughout the US, etc. but if you can afford BD, you can probably afford and/or have access to digital media.

The point is it's not "dead". You can come up with whatever rationalizations you like but I'm tired of people pretending that the shelves and end-caps full of physical media in every fuckin' Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Costco, and other big box stores across the country don't exist or just sit there gathering dust. They move.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Just like my transition from DVD to Blu, it'll be a case by case thing. And probably much slower since the increase in quality is so much smaller.

VHS->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->DVD->->->->->->->->->Blu-ray->->->UHD

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The point is it's not "dead". You can come up with whatever rationalizations you like but I'm tired of people pretending that the shelves and end-caps full of physical media in every fuckin' Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Costco, and other big box stores across the country don't exist or just sit there gathering dust. They move.

But you’re also wrong. Best Buy is consolidating all physical movies and TV shows into a single row. About 80ft total, probably. Down from hundreds, which was down from thousands. Sure, home media for movies might still be 33%, but what was it a year ago? 5 years ago?

When we say home media/physical media is dead, we’re being hyperbolic but we’re also talking about trends. Do you think your defense will be relevant in a year? 5 years?

You’re not gonna see a revival of Blu-Ray or UHD like you do vinyl. A lot of the reasons for the vinyl revival don’t really exist for movies. There isn’t nostalgia for a disc, like there is vinyl or even VHS. The “higher quality” argument is already in play for BD/UHD and it’s irrelevant.

Oh and I’m pretty sure Target is about to consolidate their media the same way that Beat Buy did. They’ve got a buy 2, get 1 free deal on all media this week, that screams blow-out to me.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Something you can go into every single major store in the USA and buy is not dead, even if it loses shelf space, this is a stupid conversation where you said "it's dead and that's why this thread exists" and when you're immediately proven wrong you're like "well I didn't mean it right now" and had to defend your ego with "well what about BAD INTERNET??!??!". I'm not interested, sorry. It's going to stabilize exactly like CDs did and still be widely available and even have good/great years depending on the release schedule. Also the streaming services are going to continue to fragment which might have some interesting effects on physical media. Have a good one.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Spatulater bro! posted:

Just like my transition from DVD to Blu, it'll be a case by case thing. And probably much slower since the increase in quality is so much smaller.

VHS->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->DVD->->->->->->->->->Blu-ray->->->UHD

Do you then keep the thing you've bought 4 times? Just four copies of ___, do you keep the VHS player around if so then?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Boywhiz88 posted:

Best Buy is consolidating all physical movies and TV shows into a single row. About 80ft total, probably. Down from hundreds, which was down from thousands.

I was so sad when I walked in to my local Best Buy about a month ago. I wanted to show my partner the film Blade and thought Best Buy will definitely have that and I'll finally own the blu-ray. Nope. :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zer0spunk posted:

Not really for Blu to UHD unless it's one of my favorites or there's a real good reason for it, but DVD to UHD, absolutely.

The thing about 8k is you're really going to need a huge TV to receive any benefit. I just got a 65" 4k TV and the damned thing is massive, I live in an apartment with a decently large living room, and it takes up half of the wall. Most people aren't going to be able to have room for even a 65" TV (which looks a hell of a lot smaller in the store BTW), and you'd probably need something approaching 100" or more to even receive any kind of benefit.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I project Blu-Rays on a 90 inch screen outdoors and they look great. Honestly the amount of light output on your projector is at least as important as the resolution when you get that big, IMO of course.

CRAYON posted:

I was so sad when I walked in to my local Best Buy about a month ago. I wanted to show my partner the film Blade and thought Best Buy will definitely have that and I'll finally own the blu-ray. Nope. :(

https://www.amazon.com/Blade-Trilogy-Blu-ray-Various/dp/B00SJFG6L0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541097480&sr=8-1&keywords=blade+blu-ray

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A decade ago, a friend of mine was convinced that they would eventually artificially raise the price of DVDs so that people would start buying blurays. Still makes me chuckle.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Yeah? The point of the story was it's now harder to walk into a local store and find the movie you want to watch that night.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Spatulater bro! posted:

A picture that doesn't degrade, 5.1 for virtually everything, and widescreen for everything was so huge. DVD was a dream come true for me. Everything since has been extra.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The bigger thing I find that's aggravating about those displays is that there are still way too many DVDs for sale, but they wouldn't be for sale if they weren't moving. Seems like the usual spread is about 60% DVD, 30% Blu, 10% UHD.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

zer0spunk posted:

Do you then keep the thing you've bought 4 times? Just four copies of ___, do you keep the VHS player around if so then?

I keep everything because I'm weird. But most people get rid of the old obsolete version unless there's unique features or especially rad packaging/art.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I have a DVD copy and two blu ray copies of the thing. I might by a third version of the thing in the near future. My dad has my VHS copy of the thing in his attic. It's probably ruined, but it's there!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CRAYON posted:

Yeah? The point of the story was it's now harder to walk into a local store and find the movie you want to watch that night.

No. Your story was about how it's now harder to walk into a store and find a specific 20-year-old movie in stock out of thousands.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/blade-blu-ray-1998/5855315.p?skuId=5855315

Best Buy carries Blade Blu-Ray.

MacheteZombie posted:

I have a DVD copy and two blu ray copies of the thing. I might by a third version of the thing in the near future. My dad has my VHS copy of the thing in his attic. It's probably ruined, but it's there!

I have 3 fuckin' copies of The Thing Blu-Ray.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I have 3 fuckin' copies of The Thing Blu-Ray.

Arrow video and shout factory putting out different versions of the thing makes my wallet angry.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

No. Your story was about how it's now harder to walk into a store and find a specific 20-year-old movie in stock out of thousands.

Exactly, when it would have been super easy like 3 months ago.

I don't know why you keep linking me to copies of Blade.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't throw away old duplicate DVDs but I do have a big plastic storage tub that I toss them into and it's just a random mish-mash of unorganized DVDs in there. But no I don't actually throw them away.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I think we’re talking past each other. I already said that we’re being a bit hyperbolic about the “dead” status. You accuse me of being disingenuous in my argument for acknowledging the circumstances in which physical media won’t be replaced, but ignore my point about the number 1 or 2 brick and mortar electronics retailer (Best Buy) greatly reducing their movies section and completely eliminating their music CD section.

When I started at BBY in 2005, blank media was about 20ft of space for CDs and DVDs, tons of choices between quantities, features, and manufactures. When I left the company last year, it was down to a single shelf in their toys section.

As I mentioned before when we talk about dead, we’re talking about growth. This market is only going to continue to shrink as the years go on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I don't throw away old duplicate DVDs but I do have a big plastic storage tub that I toss them into and it's just a random mish-mash of unorganized DVDs in there. But no I don't actually throw them away.

Yeah, when I got Beetlejuice on Blu, I meant to give the DVD to an acquaintance's girlfriend, but I kept forgetting and then they broke up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

As I mentioned before when we talk about dead, we’re talking about growth. This market is only going to continue to shrink as the years go on.

I think that because of the economic climate at the moment, sales of anything that's not a necessity isn't really growing right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
You don't need an enormous screen to see the detail of resolutions above 4K. People think you do because they're sitting way too far away from their TVs.