Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I keep getting ambushed by a specific pack of o'driscolls who come charging at me on horseback calling me a "tamed Sally", and if I kill them all my game reacts by dumping me to the sky loading screen as if they killed me. No "dead" splash or anything like that and I'm clearly still alive, it just goes through the load and spits me out into the world like a respawn.

What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Has Rockstar commented on the "HDR actually SDR" thing yet

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Arthur is a tired old rear end in a top hat and I like him a lot. I like that I can effortlessly switch between helping randos when it suits me to robbing rich folks of their carts. John Marsten had more of a one-way character arc that made it very clear he was an EX-outlaw.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Can someone explain the Francis/Stone etching ending? Everybody acts like I should know the twist but I feel like I missed a movie in popular culture or something

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is there anything I can do that will stop At Dennis shopkeepers giving me a hard time. I visited specifically to browse new clothing options and could have done without all the hassling as I tried stuff on.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

History Comes Inside! posted:

I keep getting ambushed by a specific pack of o'driscolls who come charging at me on horseback calling me a "tamed Sally", and if I kill them all my game reacts by dumping me to the sky loading screen as if they killed me. No "dead" splash or anything like that and I'm clearly still alive, it just goes through the load and spits me out into the world like a respawn.

What the gently caress.

Maybe you encounter them to close to your campsite? I once failed because I offended some shepherd to close to the camp. Didn't matter that I killed him in 5 seconds, he found the camp and it was game over.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

shut up blegum posted:

Maybe you encounter them to close to your campsite? I once failed because I offended some shepherd to close to the camp. Didn't matter that I killed him in 5 seconds, he found the camp and it was game over.

It's happening all over the place. Exact same group with the same canned "it's Dutch's tamed sally, run him down" line as they suddenly appear on horseback and try to kill me.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The random events repeating can be kind of funny. I had the one with the lady from Emerald Ranch whose horse died, and it's like, another one? She either has the worst luck or this is the weirdest scam.

I also killed the guy who challenges you to a shooting contest when I lost, and now he's back from the dead and wants a rematch.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Had a pretty funny moment when I absentmindedly carried a dead raccoon into a small general store after spending days in the wilderness. The proprietor was like "get that thing the hell outta here!" I went back outside and stowed it on my horse and went back inside, then he said "that's better...now how can I help you?"

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lord Hydronium posted:

The random events repeating can be kind of funny. I had the one with the lady from Emerald Ranch whose horse died, and it's like, another one? She either has the worst luck or this is the weirdest scam.

I also killed the guy who challenges you to a shooting contest when I lost, and now he's back from the dead and wants a rematch.

I'm glad that guy comes back. The first time I encountered him I accidentally fell on top of him with my horse and he got pissed so I had to kill him with extreme malice.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

CuddleCryptid posted:

Since gaining honor is such a massive pain in the rear end, a few odd things that gain it that I read about

- killing animals on the first shot
- saying hello to people on the street (every third one is a bump)
- tying enemies up seems to be a crapshoot but sometimes it works

Granted I have done a lot of stuff and it still is floating at zero so you probably just have to grind.

VVV I dont think that is a bump, it just isn't a negative hit. Although it would have been worth it no matter what.

Theres a pretty easy grind to raise honor by just catching and releasing fish.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I hopped onto a train with a mask on and a fresh set of clothes, robbed everyone on the train car, hopped off and ran away and still got a sixty dollar bounty for Arthur Morgan. They didn't see my horse or my face or even my loving clothes and the law just appeared out of nowhere. 😭

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

shut up blegum posted:

Yeah this sucked. My crew should have all opened fire on them, dammit.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I lost the bottle shooting challenge to that guy because it was dusk and I couldn’t see the bottles.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gay Horney posted:

I hopped onto a train with a mask on and a fresh set of clothes, robbed everyone on the train car, hopped off and ran away and still got a sixty dollar bounty for Arthur Morgan. They didn't see my horse or my face or even my loving clothes and the law just appeared out of nowhere. 😭

I believe this happens because the train guards are considered law enforcement, so if they see you, you will get a bounty immediately. I have not done any testing on this myself though.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I had to kill the bottle shooting guy because after I agreed, the challenge started, I shot a bottle, he promptly yells "What the hell are you doing?!" then proceeded to shoot me.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Lord Hydronium posted:

I came across the snake-bitten guy a second time and this time I gave him medicine instead of sucking out the venom. He seemed much more thankful this time around. Also, and maybe I just missed this the first time, there was actually a three-star rattlesnake in the area that I managed to nab.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Google is not helping me. A message flashed on my screen for a second, before a second message took it's place that something about me becoming accustomed to eating plants. Does anyone know what the full message said or how I can view these dumb messages once they vanish?

EDIT\/\/\/ Thanks!

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 1, 2018

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Soonmot posted:

Google is not helping me. A message flashed on my screen for a second, before a second message took it's place that something about me becoming accustomed to eating plants. Does anyone know what the full message said or how I can view these dumb messages once they vanish?

Its means you have to wait a full 24 hours before eating wild plants to see any effects from them, I believe. I might be wrong about the full 24 hours though.

E: the first message? :iiam: I dont think you can recheck messages.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Today I lost honor for killing a chicken.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I came across the snake-bitten guy a second time and this time I gave him medicine instead of sucking out the venom. He seemed much more thankful this time around. Also, and maybe I just missed this the first time, there was actually a three-star rattlesnake in the area that I managed to nab.

I came across some spanish speaking guy who was being attacked by wolves. Apparently, you're supposed to give him whiskey instead of a health cure. He dies if you give him health cure? What?

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

crazysim posted:

I came across some spanish speaking guy who was being attacked by wolves. Apparently, you're supposed to give him whiskey instead of a health cure. He dies if you give him health cure? What?

Health cure is medicine. It's not going to help wolf bites unless you're a video game protagonist. Whiskey doesn't help either (he still dies) but it lets him relax a little

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ravenkult posted:

Deserved it

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I did the first train robbery and went behind the guy with the bag and robbed everyone he talked to and they all held out money from his bag.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I thought sucking out the venom worked? I did that when I met him and he hobbled away just fine and then he bought me a gun next time I saw him

ravenkult posted:

Common video game trope

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

I thought sucking out the venom worked? I did that when I met him and he hobbled away just fine and then he bought me a gun next time I saw him

He lived and hobbled away, but he was pissed that I didn't give him medicine.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
How are so many people having issues with saving. You literally pause the game go to story and save the game. It's literally the easiest thing in the world.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ben Nerevarine posted:

He lived and hobbled away, but he was pissed that I didn't give him medicine.

Gave that guy medicine and he offered to buy me a free item at the Rhodes general store. I got a $92 outfit for my troubles.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

The_Rob posted:

How are so many people having issues with saving. You literally pause the game go to story and save the game. It's literally the easiest thing in the world.

"Story" sounds like some menu you'd go to to get a story recap or maybe replay old missions, not where you'd go to save the game

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
speaking of honor, you will lose honor if you do NOT kill an animal you shot but didn't immediately kill.

I shot a perfect elk the other day and was surprised when it ran away, so I ran up to where I had shot it and found a trail of blood which made it about 30-40 foot before the elk fell from the shot in it's neck. I was going to do the right thing and kill it, but for some reason I was having trouble getting the kill button to pop up but then the elk bled out and I saw the little negative honor icon pop up.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Does anyone have a link to those chapter flowcharts posted earlier in the thread?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

CharlestonJew posted:

"Story" sounds like some menu you'd go to to get a story recap or maybe replay old missions, not where you'd go to save the game

Ok but once you know that's where the save option is what's the issue?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

Does anyone have a link to those chapter flowcharts posted earlier in the thread?

I'm going to put up an imgur album with all of the chapters later today.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

The_Rob posted:

idk what other issues are people having with saving? I haven't seen anything else ITT

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The_Rob posted:

press options > press story > press save game > press x > press x to confirm > press and hold circle

since you like to use literally a lot, it's literally a 30 second process just to save the game. i'm pretty sure most people are complaining about how counterintuitive it is.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

I've resorted to taking screenshots of the strategy guide on my phone so I can look at it on my computer.

Each chapter has a very nice overview of how the chapter flows, and which missions unlock which activities and when they become available.

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

If people are interested I can post the later chapters as well.

In addition, the bank job in valentine is for the special edition, so if you don't have it and get a conversation about missing it, don't feel bad there is nothing you could have done.

Here are the chapt 2 and 3 stuff

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

CharlestonJew posted:

idk what other issues are people having with saving? I haven't seen anything else ITT

I just keep seeing posts over and over again bitching about how hard saving is. It's not hard at all so I don't get it.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

The_Rob posted:

I just keep seeing posts over and over again bitching about how hard saving is. It's not hard at all so I don't get it.

like everything else in the game, it takes too long to perform what should be a simple action

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

TMMadman posted:

Here are the chapt 2 and 3 stuff

It's worth noting that my comment about the valentine bank robbery is incorrect and actually refers to a bank robbery in rhodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Those chapters and flow charts should be in the OP. This thread moves too fast as it is with all you wannabe outlaws.