Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Been replaying breakdown. Looks real nice on the 1X which claims its upscaling it and it looks better than I remember so i think it is.

Unbelievably rude difficulty still though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Anyone know of a filterable list of Xbox One X enhanced games? I found this list on the Xbox site but I'd like to be able to narrow it down by console or remove unreleased titles. I popped Morrowind GOTY in yesterday to discover that not only does the game load much faster, but there's also additional filtering that removes all of the aliasing. It looks like there's some frame doubling technique in play to give it a 60 FPS feel as well. It runs infinitely better than it did on the OG Xbox.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Has anyone here played Romancing Saga 2 on the Xbox One? I bought it the other day on sale and I can't get past the start screen because a Windows 10 screen pops up asking me to let some third party thing to access my Xbox Live profile but I can't click anything.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Bloodplay it again posted:

Anyone know of a filterable list of Xbox One X enhanced games? I found this list on the Xbox site but I'd like to be able to narrow it down by console or remove unreleased titles. I popped Morrowind GOTY in yesterday to discover that not only does the game load much faster, but there's also additional filtering that removes all of the aliasing. It looks like there's some frame doubling technique in play to give it a 60 FPS feel as well. It runs infinitely better than it did on the OG Xbox.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility
I use this list but Morrowind's not on that list as xbox one enhanced nor are any xbox games. But Morrowind, KOTOR 1 and 2, and Star wars jedi academy are all xbox games that show up as xbox one enhanced on my console. I dunno.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is a filter button, although im only aware of it in your collection not the store, that lets you say "only x enhanced games". All original xbox games are x enhanced, its why i can finally see how bad the haircut on Gianni in Breakdown truly is.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Do I need the $80 addon thing for my X One X controller to use a headset mic? Or can I just plug into the 3.5mm jack?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

It just has 360 and XB1 games but https://www.trueachievements.com/xbox-one-x-enhanced/games will let you filter on whether a 1X patch has been released or just announced and shows whether the enhancements include 4K/HDR

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

Do I need the $80 addon thing for my X One X controller to use a headset mic? Or can I just plug into the 3.5mm jack?

The 3.5mm is fine as long as your controller isn’t an early one without that jack.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

univbee posted:

The 3.5mm is fine as long as your controller isn’t an early one without that jack.

Cool, thanks.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 1, 2018

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I remember walking into an EB Games in 2006 only to see a fat moist neckbeard speak/shouting "and I said HAVE YOU EVER KNOOOOOWN A 3D CASTLEVANIA GAME TO BE GOOD? PFFFUH" to a terrified-looking girl behind the counter.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I picked up the XBox One S. Do they have any plans to make the UI less poo poo? Playstation's ribbon has a great deal less clutter/advertising. I do enjoy the media options though, after installing Plex/Media Player my home server's media is presented quite nicely and plays through the television in great quality.

When it comes to gaming, I still prefer my PS4, but the XBox wins hands-down with media.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Honestly, I love my Xbox one x and prefer it to my PS4 for gaming, but the interface will probably always be laggy poo poo.

They have redone it 2-3 times and it never seems to get noticeably faster or better.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
If I had to guess I'd say Microsoft had a certain amount of system resources reserved for the UI, then when they learned how much more powerful the PS4 was going to be in comparison, they reduced it to allow more for games. The update that brought over a lot of Windows 10 code helped a little but it's still laggy, even on my X with an SSD.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Substandard posted:

Honestly, I love my Xbox one x and prefer it to my PS4 for gaming, but the interface will probably always be laggy poo poo.

They have redone it 2-3 times and it never seems to get noticeably faster or better.

Monday_ posted:

If I had to guess I'd say Microsoft had a certain amount of system resources reserved for the UI, then when they learned how much more powerful the PS4 was going to be in comparison, they reduced it to allow more for games. The update that brought over a lot of Windows 10 code helped a little but it's still laggy, even on my X with an SSD.

I'm like 90% sure it actually runs/loads so slow because it has grab stuff from the MS xbox servers for the dashboard to work.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah they designed it to have like minimum 30 images on screen at a time for some reason and all of them need to download

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Bring back blades.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BattleTech posted:

Bring back blades.

it is my life mission right now to find a non-updated early xbox 360 so i can gently caress around with the old interface

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it is my life mission right now to find a non-updated early xbox 360 so i can gently caress around with the old interface

I actually just watched this video on the blades, boot up was actually 25% faster than metro dash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu1Gj1xn7SU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Substandard posted:

If you go to Settings -> Personalization see if 'Smooth Transitions' is on. If it is turn it off and see if it's any faster.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

The blades were simultaneously complete garbage and way better than any interface microsoft has come up with since then.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

I texted Taco Bell my code almost an hour ago and no response at all yet, does that mean I won

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I texted Taco Bell my code almost an hour ago and no response at all yet, does that mean I won

Not necessarily. It's taken awhile for me to get a response in the past, and every time I always think it's because I may have won.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

dammit. Still waiting to find out if I can bless my house with the bell.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Barudak posted:

The blades were simultaneously complete garbage and way better than any interface microsoft has come up with since then.

accurate to my recollection.

i will say i definitely liked them a lot more stylistically than when they rolled out the nxe and everything else since then, regardless of their flaws.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Oh god yes keep going I’m almost there

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Substandard posted:

Yeah like I just got an X for RDR2 and I’m kinda shocked how slow and useless the interface is.

I’m not going to bitch too much about it because it’s all already been said but! Why in the ever loving gently caress when I go in to the store and pick a game does it play the loving trailer when I click on it vs bringing up the menu to buy the thing???

That really is the weirdest thing.

Also how condensed the buy text screen is.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I’m not going to bitch too much about it because it’s all already been said but! Why in the ever loving gently caress when I go in to the store and pick a game does it play the loving trailer when I click on it vs bringing up the menu to buy the thing???

That really is the weirdest thing.

At least you can disable them. In the Store app, press Start/hamburger button, go to Settings, and turn off "Play videos automatically"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zat posted:

At least you can disable them. In the Store app, press Start/hamburger button, go to Settings, and turn off "Play videos automatically"

Oh good god thank you.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
People still stanning for the Fisher Price console UI I see. At this point I would actually accept it as an alternative to the cluttered laggy mess we have now though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They should just make a controller optimized game mode for their games on pc and bring the identical experience to the next xbox and also make it really easy to crack so i can do dumb pc poo poo on it im not supposed to do.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Zat posted:

Thank you for this. I've been putting up with this for literally years and it didn't occur to me to try to turn it off.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

Thank you for this. I've been putting up with this for literally years and it didn't occur to me to try to turn it off.

Yeah it’s so much better.

It’s still slow as dog poo poo once you click on the icon though. I mean don’t they want you to buy the poo poo??

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

mmmm that's the good poo poo

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

BF1 was boring garbage, so the complaints about BFV not being as "good" as BF1 have me cautiously optimistic.

Unfortunately it's not good in that way, the gameplay is exactly like BF1 but worse. And they even made the graphics worse somehow.

I was disappointed by BF1 too and it was probably my least played BF.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it’s so much better.

It’s still slow as dog poo poo once you click on the icon though. I mean don’t they want you to buy the poo poo??

The Xbox UI team should be forced to use their product on bad New England DSL or rural copper for a month. Drop 'em there with new-in-box consoles, take 'em through setup, patches, the whole deal. Who knows what exciting optimizations we'd end up with.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

The Xbox UI team should be forced to use their product on bad New England DSL or rural copper for a month. Drop 'em there with new-in-box consoles, take 'em through setup, patches, the whole deal. Who knows what exciting optimizations we'd end up with.

Yeah no joke.

Like isn't the XBX supposed to be like the most powerful console on the planet or some garbage?

Well it runs like poo poo lol.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah no joke.

Like isn't the XBX supposed to be like the most powerful console on the planet or some garbage?

Well it runs like poo poo lol.

Running like poo poo is a badge of honor in software development land. "Our console runs slow as molasses and gives 20% of the users cancer. Great job team!"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think a big part of the problem is that the console itself was designed completely differently, as an always-on DRM box with always-on-and-connected Kinect, and not being clowned on by the PS4 performance-wise at launch. This forced a lot of hacky things to happen and over time they've redesigned the OS a few times to kill certain features that were taking too many resources (e.g. most Kinect functionality, snap). The PS4's UI hasn't needed much work and things only sometimes get weird when you start having a few hundred things installed and stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
PS4 UI is bad because it's too online and designed by weird Japanese developers.

Xbone UI is bad because it's too online and designed by a bunch of people who have to keep designing new poo poo that makes some corporate guy who checks in on them every 2 years go "ohhhhhh neat" or else they'll lose their jobs.