Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

born at the end of '84, for me the fall of the wall and the union might as well be mandela effect memories for all i actually know

the gulf war i only remember being confused even as a kid about why we were fightin but i never investigated

9/11 is pretty much seared in memory ofc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

President Beep posted:

i remember folks chipping away at the berlin wall. I also remember the chipmunks episode wherein they sang about the same.

i was in a grade nine geography class when the teardown started in earnest, and i remember the teacher kept having to stop and back up to explain to us the significance of what we were hearing cause we were dumbfuck fourteen year olds who didn't get it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i think the earliest major news thing i remember is bits and pieces of the tail end of the OJ trial, probably the civil trial and not the original one.

the earliest news thing in general i remember is the explosion of the Delta 2 carrying GPS IIR-1 because it almost killed my dad :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i was at a hot springs on a vacation with my grandparents in late june 1991, just short of 6 years old, and i remember watching tanks roll down the road on the other side of the river that borders croatia/slovenia. that's one of my first things i still remember, lmao

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I remember the 93 wtc bombing because it made the TV not work

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

I remember the 93 wtc bombing because it made the TV not work

i remember the fire that happened in the wtc like a week or so before 9/11 for some reason. kinda thought i imagined it until i met a retired cop who talked about how he had been one of the responders to the fire so he'd been up in the building right before it was destroyed

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i remember the simpsons from the tracy ullman show, one of the first primetime shows on the newly-launched "fox" network

e: and being super jealous that my friend was a semifinalist in the nintendo world championships

Dixie Cretin Seaman fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 1, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
same! i have a vivid memory of bart barfing mints back into the bowl in dr. marvin monroe's office.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fishmech posted:

Kinda weird seeing as how the end of the soviet union was December 1991, but the gulf War was August 1990 to February 1991.

the end of the Soviet Union was more of a process than a single event

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eschaton posted:

the end of the Soviet Union was more of a process than a single event

It occurred in December 1991

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Roosevelt posted:

i advanced to year 35 last week and apparently i'm still considered a frivolous stupid young millennial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P1SQYWChIM

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

It occurred in December 1991

impossible, reagan wasn't even in office then

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

impossible, reagan wasn't even in office then

Ronald Reagan was a crisis actor

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

fishmech posted:

w-w-woah

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

fishmech posted:

lmao

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

fishmech posted:

Kinda weird seeing as how the end of the soviet union was December 1991, but the gulf War was August 1990 to February 1991.

thanks for a laugh. yes, memory is subjective and works in unintuitive ways

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i think bush 1 vs clinton was the first presidential election I really remember

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ban generation chat jfc

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
who doesn't like reading about which major world events individual people kinda sorta remember

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

i was in a grade nine geography class when the teardown started in earnest, and i remember the teacher kept having to stop and back up to explain to us the significance of what we were hearing cause we were dumbfuck fourteen year olds who didn't get it

lmao you old as gently caress. my goondolences on your impending death

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

ban generation chat jfc

typical snowflake millennial.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
just wait, one day gen z will kill avocado toast and all you'll have left is this generation chat participation trophy 🏆

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
i want generaZion neXt or whatever to just kill everything, including this conversation

mystes
May 31, 2006

Roosevelt posted:

i advanced to year 35 last week and apparently i'm still considered a frivolous stupid young millennial
Bad news: You can't age out of your generation. Good news: Eventually you'll be a frivolous stupid old millennial.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

who doesn't like reading about which major world events individual people kinda sorta remember

fuzzy memory of janet jackson’s titty

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

You can probably split the millennial generation between pre-Elmo's World and Elmo's World cohorts and it would split at right about 1995 - kids born after that point grew up with their childhood media experience dominated by Elmo but kids born beforehand were too old for Elmo to reach unless they had some kind of cognitive disability.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao, i bet you chumps don't even remember where you were the day princess diana died

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

infernal machines posted:

lmao, i bet you chumps don't even remember where you were the day princess diana died

i was shooting out the tires

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I was at my dad's house and we'd just gotten finished with dinner, nothing special just some chicken legs, rice, and mixed veggies. They mostly led with the coverage of the crash and I don't recall the news about her death happening until the next morning.

Bubba The Love Sponge was still a local morning zoo DJ at the time for 93.3 in Tampa and he kept calling the people tending the gravesite asking them to rub the phone in the flowers because one of his gags at the time was to ask women calling in to rub the phone on their pubes.

poo poo was a fuckin weird time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fishmech posted:

all day?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

fishmech posted:

you were like 8 years old or something

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Quick Elon
Do something

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

being illuminati is hard work

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

I was playing Nickelodeon trivia on AOL.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fishmech posted:

you're a fuckin bad shot

mystes
May 31, 2006

Why do people who aren't British care about British royalty?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm canadian and the olds wouldn't shut up about it

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

mystes posted:

Did you not see the people after Trump got elected begging the monarchy to take back the colonies?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mystes posted:

Vicarious luxury and the original broke brain fandom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you can't find it in your heart to worship a bunch of inbred western europeans chosen by god to rule over england i just don't know what to say to you