Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Arthil posted:

I love my new party of Assholes.

Every Thursday it's like a fantasy version of It's Always Sunny.

It's Always Sunny in Wildemount.

Nott is Charlie and I'll accept no debate on this matter. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
These last two Between The Sheets episodes have been emotional and generally for very different reasons. I expected Marisha's to be dark as she comes across like a friend of mine who'd also been through some heavy stuff. That was a rollercoaster of sadness and over coming peoples bullshit. I did not expect Matt's to be so heavy. The adorable fountain of love for Marisha, his friends and the game I expected. The internal stuff he deals with and just how open and empathetic he is is a sight I was not expecting.

What lovely goddamn people we get to watch and Brian is great at just letting them get what they need to say out there and being a stand-out dude. Him and Matt getting all teary-eyed; super cute and something male viewers need to see more of (along with all the guys really.)

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Oh wow. I just hit Episode 56, right after the Umbrasyl fight... and this guest is just not doing it for me. I've started and stopped listening three different times today just hoping to power through it, but something about the way he is constantly flowing in and out of character halfway through every other sentence without demonstrating any sort of personality is making this episode feel like it hit a brick wall.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Matt is a gentle soul in the best possible way and that really does come across in this interview.

What I really love about all these Between the Sheets is how all the stories intersect. Hearing how Marisha and Matt met (or Sam & Liam, or Laura & Travis) from each of their respective sides is really interesting, especially considering how much emphasis on different aspects of their meetings that each person focuses on.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

Matt is a gentle soul in the best possible way and that really does come across in this interview.

What I really love about all these Between the Sheets is how all the stories intersect. Hearing how Marisha and Matt met (or Sam & Liam, or Laura & Travis) from each of their respective sides is really interesting, especially considering how much emphasis on different aspects of their meetings that each person focuses on.

someone's eventually going to be able to cut together a 'how critical role first came to be' documentary based solely on this footage

e: i got to the point where everyone is crying. the show's good yall

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 1, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Generic American posted:

Oh wow. I just hit Episode 56, right after the Umbrasyl fight... and this guest is just not doing it for me. I've started and stopped listening three different times today just hoping to power through it, but something about the way he is constantly flowing in and out of character halfway through every other sentence without demonstrating any sort of personality is making this episode feel like it hit a brick wall.

Chris Perkins, or Patrick Rothfuss?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Rothfuss' first episode is really rough. Guest characters get pushed into the spotlight but Rothfuss just isn't that type of performer so he fence sits the entire time. It doesn't help that he gets stuck trying to manage Keyleth's ridiculous melodrama. His subsequent appearances are much better because he act likes part of the ensemble rather than the guest star.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 1, 2018

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Yeah, it's Rothfuss that I'm having an issue with. He just seems so ill-suited for how the table works, because he keeps doing this thing where he'll start addressing one of the other characters (and already, it's a nightmare to figure out when he's even doing this, because he's just talking normally either way) with... constant... pauses... between... words... and then abandons it halfway through just to narrate a brief synopsis of what he wanted his character to say instead.

Which, to be clear, seems like it'd still be a perfectly fine way to play the game if that's what you're used to and aren't really confident enough to put on a full-fledged performance, but the clash between him and everyone else is just like strapping a bowling ball to a balloon with this episode.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Generic American posted:

Which, to be clear, seems like it'd still be a perfectly fine way to play the game if that's what you're used to and aren't really confident enough to put on a full-fledged performance, but the clash between him and everyone else is just like strapping a bowling ball to a balloon with this episode.

Honestly, I think that's why it didn't bother me so much: I DM at a table with both kinds of players, so I'm used to it. One of my players likes to go the whole nine yards in acting out what his character does in a given scene, and is strongly dedicated to following through on his character's thoughts and feelings (to the point where, some time back, one of his characters took his own life after a long struggle with both figurative and literal demons) while another generally approaches the situation from a more withdrawn position, like "(My character) is pissed off that everybody is talking around each other and not getting anywhere, so he flips them all off and walks out."

Either approach is perfectly acceptable, and I don't think a DM should try to enforce one method or another on any individual player, but I'll admit that the latter isn't really what you want for a show like this. Doubly so after 50+ episodes of everyone going all-in on the former method, and thus building up an expectation.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Voice like a mountain, though.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

So you’re saying Rothfuss had everything his character wanted to say mapped out and ready to go, but only published the first 2/3rds?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
He grows on you

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Rothfuss comes back later and is a much more comfy fit at the table. First ep with him was definitely rough though.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

In contrast, I just rewatched the two episodes with Darin De Paul and holy poo poo I couldn’t stop smiling anytime Sprigg was doing anything. That man is a goddamn delight.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Everything involving that was amazing, I'm kind of surprised Matt's mom hasn't ever showed up on the show (oh god I hope I've not noticed him saying somewhere she's gone). But the whole thing with Darin De Paul was great, especially realizing that Sprigg is the same character he played with Matt's mom, and was the only survivor when things went really bad

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
My only problem with the Darin episodes was everyone in the main cast misinterpreting his “I am you” metaphor as a literal statement and assuming that he was a depressed time traveling Scanlan (I don’t know if anyone explicitly says anything about this but you can tell from body language that they’re thinking it). And also getting a little overly melodramatic before the plane shift, although to be fair it was a little unclear if he would be “consumed” by the spell.

But yes, Darin himself was amazing.

I loved how salty Percy was that Scanlan was picked by the Goddess of Knowledge.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

If Matt's world is anything akin to Forgotten Realms in the slightest, Percy will end up having the 'privilege' of becoming the God of Invention.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I again definitely thought Sprigg would be revealed to be Scanlan's father. Especially after he said his previous party was murdered by goblins, just like Scanlan's mother.

Silynt posted:

And also getting a little overly melodramatic before the plane shift, although to be fair it was a little unclear if he would be “consumed” by the spell.

This was so bad. Keyleth jumps to conclusions yet again and proceeds to have what can only be described as a total meltdown. Then everything's okay and it's like "well... that was a whole lot of bullshit for absolutely nothing". I'm pretty sure Vex even said as much.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 1, 2018

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I feel like, at least in campaign 1, most of the CR cast are constantly getting hung up on the wrong details or following the wrong plot threads. I do like the times you can see Travis figure it out, but just facepalm as the rest slowly catch up while he eats mayonnaise or whatever.

Actually now that I think about it, episode 2 of campaign 2 is just 4 hours of them following all the wrong leads.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Qonas posted:

Totally agreed. That seemed like adding character RP he himself wanted while not being the actual actor behind the character. I was 500% not cool with that.

Additionally, it felt like Matt was a bit too merciful with the combats this go-around. I'm not one to subscribe to that theory at all, I'm not one of these weird "THERE MUST ALWAYS BE DEATH" people. And I can see Beau getting out of dodge with Avantica doing her rogue poo poo in the first fight, but the hydra turning away from a kill after it downed Beau didn't feel right at all. And with how much both Liam and Marisha were throwing shade about the difficulty, it seemed like Matt tapered it off at the end to appease them and the Tumblr audience who complained about Molly's death. It felt like a solid combat that got neutered at the end.

Though I do feel a bit of Liam's frustration was much the same as Travis' during the boat stealing combat - Fjord is a sailor, but in a fight playing up to that character history Travis spent a turn completely ignoring the actual boat and charging below decks. He was obviously upset with himself. It felt like Liam's frustration was coming from the same thing - this was a fight that was to play into Caleb's strength, except he prepared mostly support/control spells this go around and didn't pack the fire.

I don't see how he was taking it easy on them. The attack that downed Beau was the last attack the monsters made before they both died. He didn't give in to Liam's bullshit about wanting to move the slow roll from the Abomination to the Hydra. He did let Talisen change his turn after his Spirit Guardians failed but i understand that because he wouldn't have let Bane drop if he had known it was concentration.

There were a bunch of mechanic errors/blunders which i think i noticed though.

I don't think Beau lost a turn for losing Haste.
I don't think Avantica was rolling with advantage for the several rounds that she was flanking with Yasha.
Yasha shouldn't have been able to get Sentinel hits in since Beau also has Sentinel.
Shout out to Liam for rolling a hit then asking to retcon it into disadvantage then missing.

Also it kind of sucks that the Hydra had a 1/8 chance of resisting the Slows and it did twice in a row.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Popo posted:

These last two Between The Sheets episodes have been emotional and generally for very different reasons. I expected Marisha's to be dark as she comes across like a friend of mine who'd also been through some heavy stuff. That was a rollercoaster of sadness and over coming peoples bullshit. I did not expect Matt's to be so heavy. The adorable fountain of love for Marisha, his friends and the game I expected. The internal stuff he deals with and just how open and empathetic he is is a sight I was not expecting.

What lovely goddamn people we get to watch and Brian is great at just letting them get what they need to say out there and being a stand-out dude. Him and Matt getting all teary-eyed; super cute and something male viewers need to see more of (along with all the guys really.)

Brian posted details about the episodes on his Tumblr. They’re filmed on a Thursday afternoon shortly before the game, and he says he can see the effects of the talk with that person in the following episode. They pre-record everything just in case someone asks to have part of it cut before the audience sees it, but so far nothing has been left out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pussy Quipped posted:

I feel like, at least in campaign 1, most of the CR cast are constantly getting hung up on the wrong details or following the wrong plot threads. I do like the times you can see Travis figure it out, but just facepalm as the rest slowly catch up while he eats mayonnaise or whatever.

Actually now that I think about it, episode 2 of campaign 2 is just 4 hours of them following all the wrong leads.

This is basically tabletop RP in general. Your players will ALWAYS latch on to one little bit of cool flavour you put in that was just window-dressing and totally dismiss the heavy-handed hints you dropped for them.

And I think it took Rothfuss a game or two to adjust from the Acquisitions Inc mindset where the whole game is a cartoon and an excuse to make one-liners in front of a con audience. (No insult intended, btw, Acq Inc is just a very different tone)

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Gaz-L posted:

This is basically tabletop RP in general. Your players will ALWAYS latch on to one little bit of cool flavour you put in that was just window-dressing and totally dismiss the heavy-handed hints you dropped for them.

If you want to see this in action without playing a tabletop RPG, go to literally any other thread here on TVIV :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

And also that it's the player who is RPing the dumbest character who will figure it out first and struggle with trying to let other people know without breaking character because their character wouldn't know.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Arthil posted:

Everything involving that was amazing, I'm kind of surprised Matt's mom hasn't ever showed up on the show (oh god I hope I've not noticed him saying somewhere she's gone).

Based on Between the Sheets, both his parents are alive, and us Critters have allowed Matt to take care of them in the way he always wanted to but was struggling to do before this took off. :hfive:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Marisha's pun game strong this Halloween. Lisa Frank Castle is *mwah*.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

OH
SAM
:allears:

(e: AND THE FLASK)

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 2, 2018

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pinwiz11 posted:

OH
SAM
:allears:

(e: AND THE FLASK)

Is that McCree or is it suppose to be Travis?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

That's definitely a McCree pinup.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Water: The greatest enemy the crew has faced thus far.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Nott was right about water ALL ALONG.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

4E SKILL CHALLENGE

(4e ruled. 5e does too.)

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Matt is too pure for this group sometimes.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
I can't say that I'm surprised to hear The Rime of the Ancient Mariner mentioned in this game, but I wasn't expecting it to be like that.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Man, of all the games for Laura to miss, it had to be this one.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

She agrees

https://twitter.com/LauraBaileyVO/status/1058227976192516096

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
RIP Travis, who will be murdered by his wife when she gets home.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Spooky. She sent that as I was typing apparently.

God, poor Jester when she finds out. :ohdear:

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Sam offering to re-roll his level up HP because he rolled the maximum. He just doesn't want to end up as Nott the Tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Teddybear posted:

Spooky. She sent that as I was typing apparently.

God, poor Jester when she finds out. :ohdear:

Honestly I was a bit suprised Taliesin and Sam didn't say "Jester is carving (stabbing) pictures into the hull of the ship while Fjord is with the captain."