Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

ok so I hunted a legendary bear at the very first opportunity it seems and now I'm at a loss as to what I'm supposed to do with this pelt. the butcher in valentine won't take it in spite of the game and internet saying he should. I looked enough to find that you can take it to a trapper to exchange for equipment but I've not got that far yet. I also learned that pelts go bad eventually

is this thing just gonna rot on the back of my horse while I'm incapable of doing anything with it? I'm a little mad about this tbh

Pelts don't rot, only whole carcasses do. The first trapper location is just a little southeast of the legendary bear's territory and there should have been an easily missable popup about him after you killed the bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gruckles posted:

Pelts don't rot, only whole carcasses do. The first trapper location is just a little southeast of the legendary bear's territory and there should have been an easily missable popup about him after you killed the bear.

ok the thing I read lied about pelts then. that's a relief at least

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm sure a tool tip said pelts rot.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Does anyone have any recommendations for the gun Smith robbery in the Saint Denis. Ideally I'd like to do it with as few deaths as possible.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Oh and in case anyone was wondering, the price per ko on saint denis police officers is $5. So if you're reasonably wealthy, go hog-wild!

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

JBP posted:

I'm sure a tool tip said pelts rot.

I've only seen the warning about rotting when I was carrying a whole deer around for a few minutes. I've carried a large hide and a half dozen medium hides through multiple missions before getting around to turning them in.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone get a bug where they couldn't put different ammo types in their guns? I use schofields a whole lot but now I can only use normal ammo for them. These are the same guns I've been using the entire time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gruckles posted:

I've only seen the warning about rotting when I was carrying a whole deer around for a few minutes. I've carried a large hide and a half dozen medium hides through multiple missions before getting around to turning them in.

I saw it during the tutorial on your first hunt when the game gives you a bit of an infodump.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Does John ever wash his greasy goddamn hair

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Calaveron posted:

Does John ever wash his greasy goddamn hair

John's voice has always sounded like a rooty tooty Ted Theodore Logan to me and him being a greasy dirtbag makes sense.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Someone made their Arthur look like Revolver Ocelot and I'm kicking myself for not thinking of that.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

shortspecialbus posted:

So what the gently caress does the Legendary Buck Trinket do anyways? It supposedly improves the quality of harvested pelts but I've never seen it do that once. I cleanly killed a bunch of two star animals and got 2 star pelts. I then tried messily killing some 3 star animals to see if it helped with that, and no, I got 1-2 star pelts depending how messy I was. What does it actually do?

isn't this the one that keeps carcasses from rotting, while they're stored on your horse?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I wish the trapper would let you only see items you can actually make. Opening every loving set to find an item you can craft is the worst poo poo.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

It's kind of annoying how like every single person needs to give me poo poo for wearing the bear head. I wear a legendary bear's head on my head, get over it people.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!
Is there a party in Chapter 3? Is the state of the camp significantly changed in Chapter 4? Do those that spent a lot of time in camp feel like we may be able to get the "relationship kickoff" kind of conversations with John, Abigail, and Sadie in chapter 4 if we haven't seen them in camp yet?

As someone afflicted with The Bug that spent hours and hours in camp learning backstories and relationships I have been paralyzed, unable to replay 30 hours worth of content and conversation but unable to walk through camp in my current save without being reminded of what's missing. Having such a deep connection with the camp and knowing I'm missing the most crucial characters is strangely gutwrenching. The Sophie's choice would be easier to swallow if I wasn't going to miss the four characters (three, really) at another party and I could have similar regular interactions and witness the same organic conversations in Chapter 4.

I'm aware all this outcry seems strange to some that are kind of neglecting camp but for those in the know there is a TON of conversation/arguing/storytelling if you keep all the supplies up at camp, do chores often, and spend a lot of time there. I know life stories, anecdotes, interpersonal relationships, etc. of what should be tertiary characters while 3 main ones are wholly absent in context of the day-to-day of the gang.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Gruckles posted:

I think it probably affects the spawn rate of of 3 star animals but that's hard to tell for sure.

It definitely can up the quality of pelts. Numerous times i've gotten perfect pelts from 2 star animals.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Is there a party in Chapter 3? Is the state of the camp significantly changed in Chapter 4? Do those that spent a lot of time in camp feel like we may be able to get the "relationship kickoff" kind of conversations with John, Abigail, and Sadie in chapter 4 if we haven't seen them in camp yet?

As someone afflicted with The Bug that spent hours and hours in camp learning backstories and relationships I have been paralyzed, unable to replay 30 hours worth of content and conversation but unable to walk through camp in my current save without being reminded of what's missing. Having such a deep connection with the camp and knowing I'm missing the most crucial characters is strangely gutwrenching. The Sophie's choice would be easier to swallow if I wasn't going to miss the four characters (three, really) at another party and I could have similar regular interactions and witness the same organic conversations in Chapter 4.

I'm aware all this outcry seems strange to some that are kind of neglecting camp but for those in the know there is a TON of conversation/arguing/storytelling if you keep all the supplies up at camp, do chores often, and spend a lot of time there. I know life stories, anecdotes, interpersonal relationships, etc. of what should be tertiary characters while 3 main ones are wholly absent in context of the day-to-day of the gang.

I feel you, buddy. I live in the camp and am going to stay in chapter 2 for a long time. I say swallow the frog and start over, maybe after a break.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I honestly couldn't give two shits about the boring rear end conversations in camp.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Where's the point where i can kind of gently caress off on my own? I've just made a long wagon ride to an idyllic meadow where the villain from the last game told me to get a job in Valentine. This game is excellent, but i wanna lone ranger it already...

E oh, it appears to be now

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 2, 2018

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JBP posted:

I wish the trapper would let you only see items you can actually make. Opening every loving set to find an item you can craft is the worst poo poo.

The UI is surprisingly bad in some places. See also: the weapon / item wheels and your satchel.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

ravenkult posted:

I honestly couldn't give two shits about the boring rear end conversations in camp.

depends on what u want out of the game. I'm using it to chill out and explore. turns out my Arthur really likes smoking weed and listening to Javier play songs

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Seymour Buttz posted:

It's kind of annoying how like every single person needs to give me poo poo for wearing the bear head. I wear a legendary bear's head on my head, get over it people.
Game can remember what clothes you wear if you commit crimes but not that you wear bear hat.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

ravenkult posted:

Ok.

Hugh Malone posted:

I feel you, buddy. I live in the camp and am going to stay in chapter 2 for a long time. I say swallow the frog and start over, maybe after a break.

I've passed the prologue on a new save but ultimately I have to think the game keeps track of the tremendous, absurd amount of unique dialogue in camp and it's going to kind of wreck things when/if I have to hear a shitload of conversations I've already sat through in between redoing the hours of mundane poo poo did out in the world again (I did every piece of side content available through mid-Chapter 3 and tons of other stuff in between). This game is really designed, from a story and immersion standpoint, to be experienced for the first time. The game is a chore when it comes to being a game outside of goofing around, if that makes sense.

Whoa. Wife Turds fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 2, 2018

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Despite my Arthur being a glowing, virtuous, and downright chivalrous outlaw, each time I talk about my **~feels~*~* with Mary Beth or Tilly, Arthur keeps talking about how he's descending deeper into psychopathy. Talking about how he kills animals needlessly, is growing more and more violent for no reason, etc. Yet, I give rando dum dums who got snared in their own traps or bit by snakes the good medicine out of my satchel.

Is this bizzaro world?

DarthBlingBling posted:

Well it seems it not only spooked the animal it spooked it to death. I somehow have the skin but didn't kill it.

Guess it's forever stuck at 66%. Hope it means I still get the outfits...

At least it spawned for you. Despite having no bounty I still get 'too much activity' messages.

Stupid broke dick game

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 2, 2018

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

uncle w benefits posted:

Despite my Arthur being a glowing, virtuous, and downright chivalrous outlaw, each time I talk about my **~feels~*~* with Mary Beth or Tilly, Arthur keeps talking about how he's descending deeper into psychopathy. Talking about how he kills animals needlessly, is growing more and more violent for no reason, etc. Yet, I give rando dum dums who got snared in their own traps or bit by snakes the good medicine out of my satchel.

Is this bizzaro world?

At least it spawned for you. Despite having no bounty I still get 'too much activity' messages.

Stupid broke dick game

I mean, you kill roughly 800000 people per story mission and probably a lot of good animals along the way too, and the necessity behind the carnage becomes more and more questionable so I don’t think it’s a weird thing for Arthur to say

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Mandrel posted:

I mean, you kill roughly 800000 people per story mission and probably a lot of good animals along the way too, and the necessity behind the carnage becomes more and more questionable so I don’t think it’s a weird thing for Arthur to say

But it's not needless nor for fun.

MAXIMUM OVERBEARD

The beard should have its own core, and you refill it by rubbing dip into your face.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 2, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

So far the most surprising camp conversation that you can listen in on and/or participate in was Charles (in chapter 3) talking in incredibly halting, pained tones about how he doesn't know what to do besides killing even though it isn't right and he just doesn't know and such. If you interact with him when he stops, Arthur tells him that he's probably the best man that he knows, and Charles says that says pretty terrible poo poo about Arthur right there.

I thought that was one of the better conversations that I almost missed.

I've also enjoyed watching the preacher's descent into morphine/alcohol induced madness.

I'm hoping this continues into the other chapters, I'm really digging the random camp poo poo you can listen in on. Even the women fighting with each other is pretty interesting.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

Even the women fighting with each other is pretty interesting.

To put things into perspective 90% of the time the women just sit and don't talk to each other in my game, likely due to the absence of the other characters. Until I found out about the bug I found it super weird that the men had all these conversations and the women were silent.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
drat that's a lovely bug then . Sadie is like probably my favorite character in a Rockstar game ever mostly based on camp banter

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

To put things into perspective 90% of the time the women just sit and don't talk to each other in my game, likely due to the absence of the other characters. Until I found out about the bug I found it super weird that the men had all these conversations and the women were silent.

Most of the women fighting is between Karen and Susan, honestly, and I don't think those two are affected by the bug. Kind of everyone and Susan but mostly Karen and Susan with probably Mary Beth and Susan in second place.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

goferchan posted:

drat that's a lovely bug then . Sadie is like probably my favorite character in a Rockstar game ever mostly based on camp banter

Does she have a lot of banter in early Chapter 3? The last story mission I did was the one where you go into town with her and get in a shootout with some fuckers ont he way back and while she's spending more time around everyone in camp now rather than moping just outside of camp, the only interaction i've seen her really have was the fight with Pearson that started that mission.

I've spent 20 hours hunting and fishing and doing general nonsense since then and haven't done story in quite some time, though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sadie owns.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
So uh I finally got held up the the woman pretending to be hurt and I went to press triangle to "surrender" but accidentally let go of L2 first, and Arthur just yanked her up in the air by the loving throat the second she got done saying "hands up." Most satisfying happy accident ever.

Then one of her idiot friends shot her trying to hit me.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

JBP posted:

Sadie owns.

I haven't beat the game yet but if you don't get to play the rest of free-roam after the ending as Sadie, I'm gonna be real disappointed.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I’m half a man who hates jump scares. On the money collecting mission involving the cougar, has anyone just laid bait near the entrance and waited?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

shortspecialbus posted:

Does she have a lot of banter in early Chapter 3? The last story mission I did was the one where you go into town with her and get in a shootout with some fuckers ont he way back and while she's spending more time around everyone in camp now rather than moping just outside of camp, the only interaction i've seen her really have was the fight with Pearson that started that mission.

I've spent 20 hours hunting and fishing and doing general nonsense since then and haven't done story in quite some time, though.

Not a ton that I saw, the development for her that I really like comes later. If you're close to the end of chapter 3 (it's pretty long so may be hard to tell) maybe you should just push through because from all accounts i've heard the "missing camp members" bug fixes itself once you start chapter 4. You can always look up all those convos on youtube i'm sure, i know that kind of sucks but I would personally prefer that to starting the game over

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I encountered a ranch in the north today with three ranchers and a big corn field. I went to rob them so I ended up killing them all but when I went into one of their livestock houses there was a dead cow and a dead man in there. Maybe they murdered him? Also they have a scarecrow and you can shoot its hat off and wear it. Owns

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Slim Killington posted:

I haven't beat the game yet but if you don't get to play the rest of free-roam after the ending as Sadie, I'm gonna be real disappointed.

Exactly the same sentiment from me.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

uncle w benefits posted:

But it's not needless nor for fun.

MAXIMUM OVERBEARD

The beard should have its own core, and you refill it by rubbing dip into your face.

is that lvl 10 facial hair? how did you do it? I use a hair tonic a day and have been stuck at lvl 9 'stache, and lvl 7 chin/chops for a long time it seems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

goferchan posted:

Not a ton that I saw, the development for her that I really like comes later. If you're close to the end of chapter 3 (it's pretty long so may be hard to tell) maybe you should just push through because from all accounts i've heard the "missing camp members" bug fixes itself once you start chapter 4. You can always look up all those convos on youtube i'm sure, i know that kind of sucks but I would personally prefer that to starting the game over

To be clear, I don't have the bug. I was just asking if I was just missing her dialogue by bad luck or whatever. Thanks for the info!