Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ahahahahaha holy poo poo same guy who was amazed no one commented on "Linebacker shoulders"

Well, that certainly adds a new point to the data plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Tashilicious posted:

no girls on the internet etc

Well, there's a phrase I haven't heard in a while.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Giant Bomb's very own Dan Ryckert won this contest. He and his wife Bianca did indeed get married in the Taco Bell chapel in Vegas. It's a lot less AUG than you'd expect. Dan is a weird guy, but he's very self-aware and honest about how most of his adult life has been a slow process of learning how not to be an idiot. When the subject came up on one of GB's podcasts, I recall someone asking him how his then-fiancee felt about the idea, and his response was roughly, "she's cool with it. We've been together for years, so she knows what I'm about by this point."

To give you some sense of his character, here is Dan's infamous Egg Whites story.

Skippy McPants has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Nov 2, 2018

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
That fellow sounds pretty :3:, tbph.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

fisting by many posted:

I think the lesson to be learned from this one is, if you're going to wear blackface, put it on so thick that you won't be recognized on social media.

No, wait, that's not it.

If you're going to wear blackface, stop and re-evaluate your life choices while the first clause is still in the future tense.

twistedmentat posted:

So I watched a video about Homestuck, and it explained one of the classic AUG vids, the famous Spit Bucket for me. Also why Homestuck cosplayers are generally hated by the community and Cosplay Does Not Equal Consent actually in part a reaction to how Homestuck Cosplayers behaved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLm-0V741M8

I really want to watch this so I can better understand the :psyduck: behind Homestuck, but I'm really disappointed that it's 40 minutes long. I need to TL;DW-cut of this.

Edit: I drunkenly watched the whole thing on 1.25 speed and I'm still :confused:. I sort of get it, but still mostly don't.

pseudorandom has a new favorite as of 06:50 on Nov 2, 2018

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

pseudorandom posted:

I really want to watch this so I can better understand the :psyduck: behind Homestuck, but I'm really disappointed that it's 40 minutes long. I need to TL;DW-cut of this.
Ok, here you go buddy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyFXNMVbO5Q

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Homestuck is a perfectly good web comic, but it's intentionally convoluted and confusing, and I refuse to pay attention to anything related to anything cosplayers do ever.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

DandyLion posted:

Nobody is going to address how the girl on the left has the shoulders of a linebacker?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The TLDR of the AUG related stuff is A) Homestuck appeals a lot to kids, and because of this, they tended to cosplay wrong. And I don't mean wrong body cosplaying somebody, I mean not knowing how to behave or even do the costume right. They were ignorant (and honestly I was to but I don't cosplay) that body paint needed to be sealed or you'd be leaving grey smears on EVERYTHING.

B)They also took "being in character" way to much including running around honking horns because that's what the character does! Or Throwing buckets at a character that happened to once, or worst of all, licking other cosplayers, whether they were homestuck or not (apparently one of the characters is blind so she licks things to find out what they are).

And C) The Spit Bucket, because Trolls need to do something gross to reproduce that involved their genetic material being put into a bucket, that some homestuck fans decided that they'd all spit in a bucket as a joke to "create Nicholas Cage", doing so in what is clearly a crowded restaurant. "just a joke" does not cover being incredibly gross and probably violating some health codes.

BTW one of the fun things about is the creator had a funding goal that let people submit their own OG Character Do Not Steal Trollsona to be added to the comic, but he killed them instantly, because he said they'd appear, not survive or be part of the story.

And I can't help but think Fortnite is going to end up in the trashheap of fandoms, along with HS, and Sonic and others being so prevalent and in your face constantly once these kids grow up a bit and they make changes that the OG playerbase hates.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

And I can't help but think Fortnite is going to end up in the trashheap of fandoms, along with HS, and Sonic and others being so prevalent and in your face constantly once these kids grow up a bit and they make changes that the OG playerbase hates.

More likely it'll go the way of Minecraft. A money printing juggernaut that rolls unceasing until the next big thing comes along. Companies the size of Epic generally have enough professional PR and CM staff to keep the worst parts of any fandom out of the spotlight.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

That's what a bird looks like when it's diet consists mostly of skin tags from its owner's neck fold.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ugh, that bird. That poor bird. I just cringe every time I see it. That is a cockatoo that is self-mutilating out of anxiety, fear, or boredom. There's a possibility that the bird is no longer in the bad situation that prompted it to start pulling its own feathers out, because it's a habit that's really impossibly difficult to stop once it starts, like with humans who bite their nails or pull out their hair or cut. This could be a bird in recovery.

But, you know. These are literal white supremacists. And they're not good with empathy with fellow humans, much less animals. I'm not hopeful.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

BTW one of the fun things about is the creator had a funding goal that let people submit their own OG Character Do Not Steal Trollsona to be added to the comic, but he killed them instantly, because he said they'd appear, not survive or be part of the story.

Pretty sure either Simpsons or South Park did this same gimmick. Was a contest or raffle or something and the winner got drawn as themselves and then immediately killed or was only in the final episode for 1-2 frames. Hell I would bet this goes back to the 70/80s and soap operas or shows like Love Boat- win some contest with extreme BE ON THE SHOW marketing and then only being in a crowd scene

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

RoboRodent posted:

Ugh, that bird. That poor bird. I just cringe every time I see it. That is a cockatoo that is self-mutilating out of anxiety, fear, or boredom. There's a possibility that the bird is no longer in the bad situation that prompted it to start pulling its own feathers out, because it's a habit that's really impossibly difficult to stop once it starts, like with humans who bite their nails or pull out their hair or cut. This could be a bird in recovery.

But, you know. These are literal white supremacists. And they're not good with empathy with fellow humans, much less animals. I'm not hopeful.

My grandma rehabbed a cockatoo that was doing this. It took three years to completely go away, and it basically became a part time job for her.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Skippy McPants posted:

Giant Bomb's very own Dan Ryckert won this contest. He and his wife Bianca did indeed get married in the Taco Bell chapel in Vegas. It's a lot less AUG than you'd expect. Dan is a weird guy, but he's very self-aware and honest about how most of his adult life has been a slow process of learning how not to be an idiot. When the subject came up on one of GB's podcasts, I recall someone asking him how his then-fiancee felt about the idea, and his response was roughly, "she's cool with it. We've been together for years, so she knows what I'm about by this point."

To give you some sense of his character, here is Dan's infamous Egg Whites story.

:3: That is nice. Still sort of goofy to get married in a Taco Bell, though.

Also: The only thing I know about Fortnite is that kids love it, their parents don't get it, and that with the wisdom of age, that some adults can get super AUG about things kids love. This woman started ranting at me about (her own) children being obsessed with the game and how "retarded" it was (this is a very popular word in this town). I think the worst thing about becoming an adult is realizing what jerks some grown-ups can be.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
the bird cleaned out the neck fungus but got some on its chest

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Harsh, but fair.

I could look at that derpy goddamn face all day :kimchi:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Vape talk in the NSFW thread reminded me I had this picture. Odd smell in a used car I bought, plus rattling. I pulled apart the centre console to find this:

About 5mm deep in gross vape fluid and coffee. I later solved some minor electrical irritants by pulling and cleaning the vape residue off the fuses.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Twitch posted:

Homestuck is a perfectly good web comic, but it's intentionally convoluted and confusing

Yeah no lie, it really is something special. I absolutely hate all the chatlog stuff, but the animations are loving best in class. It's an absolutely amazing piece of media, at least the part I read which is apparently only the first fourth now.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

cakesmith handyman posted:

Vape talk in the NSFW thread reminded me I had this picture. Odd smell in a used car I bought, plus rattling. I pulled apart the centre console to find this:

About 5mm deep in gross vape fluid and coffee. I later solved some minor electrical irritants by pulling and cleaning the vape residue off the fuses.

My used car was pretty clean when I got it but noticed a faint vomit smell i could not track down. Eventually detailed the gently caress out of it and noticed some sticky stuff where the cup holder cover retracts into the console. Used some wipes and cleaned down in the hole as best I could, and sure enough, pink/stick/old vomit in there, assuming someone was drinking and driving and barfed on the console, the car had a few fender benders in it's history as well.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Imagine getting a self-driving taxi where someone's vomited on every seat. #thefutureisnow

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
:nms:

needs skin

mod note: pls no nws under spoilers thank you

Somebody has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Nov 3, 2018

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

youll get a hella buzz if you drink that

and its free

so win win

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Pretty sure either Simpsons or South Park did this same gimmick. Was a contest or raffle or something and the winner got drawn as themselves and then immediately killed or was only in the final episode for 1-2 frames. Hell I would bet this goes back to the 70/80s and soap operas or shows like Love Boat- win some contest with extreme BE ON THE SHOW marketing and then only being in a crowd scene

Wasn't it South Park where they got George Clooney to voice a character and made a big deal out of him being on the show, then he voiced a literal dog with no lines

that was directly making fun of the Simpsons' ridiculous attachment to celebrity voices at the time, though, as well as Trey and Matt's own standard of "celebrity voices are impersonated poorly"

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Sardonik posted:

Yeah no lie, it really is something special. I absolutely hate all the chatlog stuff, but the animations are loving best in class. It's an absolutely amazing piece of media, at least the part I read which is apparently only the first fourth now.

What cartoons are you watching that are so bad that they make Homestuck look well animated?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

I don't like that some of those joint surfaces show signs of wear. I don't like that the nutrient foramen are in the right places. I really don't like that the bones aren't all bleached and don't look like they're from the same source

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

slash stab posted:

:3: That is nice. Still sort of goofy to get married in a Taco Bell, though.

Also: The only thing I know about Fortnite is that kids love it, their parents don't get it, and that with the wisdom of age, that some adults can get super AUG about things kids love. This woman started ranting at me about (her own) children being obsessed with the game and how "retarded" it was (this is a very popular word in this town). I think the worst thing about becoming an adult is realizing what jerks some grown-ups can be.

She's right

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

TheKennedys posted:

Wasn't it South Park where they got George Clooney to voice a character and made a big deal out of him being on the show, then he voiced a literal dog with no lines

that was directly making fun of the Simpsons' ridiculous attachment to celebrity voices at the time, though, as well as Trey and Matt's own standard of "celebrity voices are impersonated poorly"

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

rodbeard posted:

What cartoons are you watching that are so bad that they make Homestuck look well animated?

"Best in class," where that class is "weird dumb zero-effort internet cartoons beloved by cretins too vile for cosplay events, by Christ."

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Im dumb, whats wrong with the ring

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Violet_Sky posted:

Nothing. It's the person it's intended for that's hosed up

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Violet_Sky posted:

No goatse

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Violet_Sky posted:

I don't like it, and apparently she doesn't either. Which is why "buy a ring for someone and then propose to them" is a really dumb idea imo. Because you're going to wear something you had zero part in choosing every day, which makes no sense to me. I don't think it makes you a shallow person to want an engagement ring that you think is pretty and that suits your style, instead of whatever random thing a salesperson talked your partner into.

For anybody who cares why I don't like it: three-stone rings aren't a traditional choice for engagement rings in the US (they're marketed as "past/present/future" anniversary rings here); the stones look very yellow, though it could just be the lovely picture; the band is clunky to my eye; and the prongs look too thick for the size of the stones.

However, she snooped through his poo poo, and therefore she would be an absolute crap person to be married to. Not because she wants a ring she likes, but because she's a nosy rear end in a top hat.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Nov 3, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

T-man posted:

No goatse

:hmmyes:

edit: also, :sever:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Let's be honest, engagement rings are inherently stupid. Really a lot of anything surrounding American weddings is the result of marketing to get you to spend money you don't have on things you don't need then start a marriage in a pile of debt.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

AlbieQuirky posted:

I don't think it makes you a shallow person to want an engagement ring that you think is pretty and that suits your style, instead of whatever random thing a salesperson talked your partner into.

Right. Wanting an engagement ring at all is what makes you shallow.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Let's be honest, engagement rings are inherently stupid. Really a lot of anything surrounding American weddings is the result of marketing to get you to spend money you don't have on things you don't need then start a marriage in a pile of debt.

America.txt

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I worked in a jewelry store for 6 years and trust me, some women out there will straight up dump you in the store if they get a diamond or set of diamonds under a carat. I've seen it happen. Marketing has gone to these people's heads like you wouldn't believe. If you get less than a carat it means you don't love them. It's insane.

I've seen numerous breakups and screaming fights over the stupidest poo poo like colour of gold, cancelling a hold in another store without permission, picking the wrong size even though that can be adjusted later because it means she's fat and you want her to be skinnier, non-matching rings, you name it.

I was so glad when I left. People shopping for jewelry are loving mental.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

pseudorandom posted:

If you're going to wear blackface, stop and re-evaluate your life choices while the first clause is still in the future tense.

Edit: I drunkenly watched the whole thing on 1.25 speed and I'm still :confused:. I sort of get it, but still mostly don't.

Holy cow, I liked the mspaint adventure things when they were new back in the day, but eventually fell off. Didn't have any idea it was the same guy.

edit:oh my, those amusing riffs on point and click adventures certainly spun into something completely nonsensical, and the more of this video I watch, the less I understand.

Ambitious Spider has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Nov 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

I worked in a jewelry store for 6 years and trust me, some women out there will straight up dump you in the store if they get a diamond or set of diamonds under a carat. I've seen it happen. Marketing has gone to these people's heads like you wouldn't believe. If you get less than a carat it means you don't love them. It's insane.

I've seen numerous breakups and screaming fights over the stupidest poo poo like colour of gold, cancelling a hold in another store without permission, picking the wrong size even though that can be adjusted later because it means she's fat and you want her to be skinnier, non-matching rings, you name it.

I was so glad when I left. People shopping for jewelry are loving mental.

And they should be thankful for being dumped before being financially hitched to a materialistic twat for as long as it takes to realize you need a divorce.

Engagement rings belong in the same category as being legally unable to refuse your husband sex and domestic abuse being acceptable. It's a dumb thing from the past we should all be ashamed of and move on.