Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

We've known that since Maria and co came back with both hands! Its whether it was instinctually repairing their own poo poo vs using it to actually fix up someone else that was in question.

Right. We knew that but I don’t think the rest of the world did. Maria (and Russia) have been somewhat detached from the allies for most of the war in terms of intelligence and Stalin probably wasn’t sharing much back. Between that and creating the muck Maria has a lot of unique abilities that the allies may simply not be aware enhance humans could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If her engagement against the cruisers was any indication, she’s pretty close to indestructible from a distance and deadly up close. No halo effect limits what you can do and even with a “fixed” leg she’s pretty limited as to the fights she can partake. Both of her successful engagements involved the element of surprise.

I’m sure Patton will have a few more tricks for her now that she’s back from Russia.

I doubt Razor’s coming back, though. One unintended positive effect from Russia's end is that Leah is now proof the halo effect can be used to recreate/heal flesh and injuries. As of the last issue, only Maria, her students, and Germany/Goebbels had shown this in use. so maybe they'll turn some R&D into fixing Razor back into play.

Perhaps there'll be some way to fix the younger Rivers brother who has a pre-existing condition that put him in a wheelchair? Definitely more speculative than fixing Razor, of course, but given they're two of the... What, four? Five? Unambiguously sympathetic characters in the series I'm hoping things work out for them.

As I think of fairly conscience-clean characters we spend any amount of time with: Razor, Dunkirk, Leah, Turing, the Rivers, maybe the first Colossus - who we don't get to spend too much time with... Definitely not Maria, who was at least killing Soviet Uber trainees who were not necessarily bad people. None of these characters are movers and shakers except maybe Turing, it can be noted - perhaps they wouldn't be so clean if they had to make the same decisions.

But yeah, I really hope they get to fix Razor, his current state is horrifying.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Endless Mike posted:

It was in his letter at the end of the last issue.

And I'm a trade waiter on this book, so I didn't see it. Thanks for the info.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I really liked the first issue of Sex Death Revolution-- I don't think I've read a Mags Vissagio comic that I didn't enjoy but so far this is my favorite project of hers.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Looks like Image has decided to stop selling their DRM free titles from their website. Purchases will remain available for download until February. The only good news is they’re not stopping DRM free entirely, just not distributing it themselves. Is there any decent alternative out there that is not Amazon owned though ? :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

loving Ananke.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

loving Ananke.

loving Gillen!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Finished the last issue of the Crossed +100 Mimic miniseries. I'm not a big fan of Crossed in general, but I've liked both of the +100 series so far. I think they're the only ones that actually try to do something interesting with the Crossed setting. It was especially weird to have Mimic end on a hopeful note, albeit hopeful within the context of the ultra-grimdark Crossed setting (although I guess the original mini also kind of did).

It was also funny for me to realize that Fleshcook and Julie's relationship made me think of Pushing Daisies more than anything else. Not the sort of thing I tend to associated with Crossed.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/status/1062805725896826880

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My wife will be happy, but what is happening with the Chilling Tales of Sabrina now? Hopefully another volume will come out soon with the show finished with the first season.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Does anyone keep up with the lion forge catalyst prime line? Ive been reading summit and am wondering if theres any other books in that universe worth checking out

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone else buy The Terrible Elizabeth Dunn Against the Devils in Suits?

Not much to the story, but I really liked the art.

Maurice Augustus
Nov 27, 2011

Is Prison Pit bad taste?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is anyone reading Flavor by Image comics? It reminds me a lot of Shueisha comics. You know, like Dragonball and Nartuo. 'Cept it's in a fantasy world where food and chefs are the main focus.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Covok posted:

Is anyone reading Flavor by Image comics? It reminds me a lot of Shueisha comics. You know, like Dragonball and Nartuo. 'Cept it's in a fantasy world where food and chefs are the main focus.

Yup, I posted about it up thread because the last issue said that they're no longer doing individual issues and who knows if they're going to put out any more of the store elsewhere.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

IUG posted:

Yup, I posted about it up thread because the last issue said that they're no longer doing individual issues and who knows if they're going to put out any more of the store elsewhere.

They can't cancel the series. It was just starting its tournament arc. That's when Shuiesha-style comics get good.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Anyone else disappointed with the ending to Black Hammer: Age of Doom? It was a bit too navel-gazy for me. And I'm not sure what the point of it was.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I haven't got to to reading #7, but that was the ending? I figured the last two issues were just a Captain Weird side-story with a guest artist.

edit: Nah. It continues next year.
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/DEC180397

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Burned through Matt Kindt’s Mind MGMT. it’s real good.

I don’t actually have much to say about it though. Kindt is a great storyteller with a very unique artstyle. Reminds me of Lemire in a lot of ways. Very loose. This is a great meandering supernatural /conspiracy / spy story that takes a long time to get to where it’s going but does a great job of paying it all off by the end.

Big recommendation from me if you haven’t read it already. Kindt is now definitely on my must read indie creators list.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Burned through Matt Kindt’s Mind MGMT. it’s real good.

I don’t actually have much to say about it though. Kindt is a great storyteller with a very unique artstyle. Reminds me of Lemire in a lot of ways. Very loose. This is a great meandering supernatural /conspiracy / spy story that takes a long time to get to where it’s going but does a great job of paying it all off by the end.

Big recommendation from me if you haven’t read it already. Kindt is now definitely on my must read indie creators list.

I loved Mind MGMT! (We continue to have similar taste, Jordan7hm.) The whole time, I kept thinking about what a great show it would make -- something like LOST that teases out mysteries and twists, but ultimately more coherent and satisfying. But it relies so much on its print format, especially the incredible margin notes, I think even reading it on a screen would lose some of the effect. What a great series, though. I checked out all the volumes from my public library, but I wouldn't mind owning them at some point.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i read through all of jeremy 's raven pirate princess and it is very good and suuuuper gay so would recommend

E: okay according to comixology i actually haven't read all of year two yet but i I've read a good chunk of it so far!

site fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 28, 2018

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mind MGMT is one of those comics I always was interested in starting but just never got around to them. I feel like back in the 2011-13 range there was a lot of interesting stuff that started at Vertigo, Dark Horse, and Image and Mind MGMT was one of the few that lasted more than a year or so.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I have to recommend Savage Dragon, it's something that comics fans could hear about more. It just rules so much. If you like Ninja Turtles for example, or Miller's Daredevil run, or Claremont's X-Men, various longer runs about the life of somebody heroic facing weird problems, it just does not get much better than Savage Dragon.

In general I'm a fan of long runs on comics, it's relatively rare, and it's just impressive. And leads to very creative stuff, seeing how the passage of time goes, how they keep things fresh over 200 issues in, etc. And all these issues are written and drawn by the same guy, Erik Larsen. It's madness. So many different styles and vibes over the years, for a bit it focused on family stuff with a riff on comic strips, Calvin and Hobbs style etc. It had a Kamandi influenced bit, Larsen is a big Kirby fan. And the early stuff would appeal to fans of that fun over-the-top badass 90s style, but don't let that turn you away if it's not your thing. This comic actually has the substance to back it up, really impressive writing and imagination over years and years. Savage Dragon is really unique.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think you’ll get some pushback based on recent SD issues but honestly I think the first 100 (where I stopped) were pretty good. I came away really impressed by Larsen’s skills as a storyteller. His artistic experimentation is really cool. His willingness to shake up the status quo is equally cool.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Yeah. Early Savage Dragon, I was surprised to find, is rock-solid, dynamic, and fun, and even now Larsen is a really great draftsman with a fantastic instinct for page and panel design. It's too bad that the plotting has ventured into some truly grody territory but the first five-ten years are excellent.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
e: double post

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 29, 2018

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Mind MGMT is loving awesome; I picked up the bulk of it for a pittance, too, on the recommendation of my friend-and-LCBS-owner (when he was having a going out of business sale :( ) and anyone who is on the fence about it should dive in.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Someone on twitter linked this blog
by Lars Ingebrigsten in which reads every single comic published by Eclipse. It's a fascinating progression even if I disagree with a fair bit of his editorializing-- I see that he has a companion series on Fantagraphics that I'm looking forward to digging into.

At the very least it's making me want to dig out my old Zot! issues if I visit my parents over the holidays.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I picked up a trade of Ronin a while back and finally read it.

Holy poo poo Frank Miller was something else in the 80s.

You can see the genesis of Dark Knight Returns clear as day. But more importantly, you can see an artist (and his collaborators) pushing the medium in new and interesting ways. The panel layouts, the use of closeups, the use of contrast to highlight key aspects of the scene that he wants the reader to focus on... it’s a master class in cartooning.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Archyduchess posted:

Someone on twitter linked this blog
by Lars Ingebrigsten in which reads every single comic published by Eclipse. It's a fascinating progression even if I disagree with a fair bit of his editorializing-- I see that he has a companion series on Fantagraphics that I'm looking forward to digging into.

At the very least it's making me want to dig out my old Zot! issues if I visit my parents over the holidays.

That was pretty neat, thanks for linking it! I read it, and looked on wiki, and looked on various other sites, but I can't find a clear answer: Was Mullaney a shifty rear end in a top hat or was the bankruptcy the fault of the "Collins-Harper refusing to report royalties" thing? Because Mullaney is apparently still working in comics at IDW and won several awards for collecting classic comics.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just read black af - America's sweetheart and really enjoyed it. Its like, if superman first started in present day and was a black teenage girl.

Now i gotta figure out the reading order for the rest of it cuz i think theres a few different minis

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

"McElroy seems to have written a few comics after this one, but then dropped out of the business, apparently."

His newest project was received fairly well I hear.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 2, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If anyone is looking to get caught up on The Wicked + The Divine, Comixology has the entire series and specials to day for $0.99 each, or the trades for $3.99-$5.99

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Die started off real good. Definitely looking forward to more

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fukken Baal.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Endless Mike posted:

Die started off real good. Definitely looking forward to more

Read this and liked it - looking forward to more.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I got to interview Kieron Gillen about Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt from Dynamite and for some reason, the editor actually left in the bit where Gillen got audibly distracted by remembering that Dream Daddy exists.

https://www.newsarama.com/43006-peter-cannon-thunderbolt-kieron-gillen-caspar-wijngaard.html

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanderer posted:

I got to interview Kieron Gillen about Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt from Dynamite and for some reason, the editor actually left in the bit where Gillen got audibly distracted by remembering that Dream Daddy exists.

https://www.newsarama.com/43006-peter-cannon-thunderbolt-kieron-gillen-caspar-wijngaard.html
I told my girlfriend about Dream Daddy and she didn't believe me until she looked it up on Steam herself.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Wanderer posted:

I had no idea this was coming out. Great interview and thanks for posting it-- I have absolutely no familiarity with the character outside of ersatch Watchmen analogue but this sounds like a fun extension of some of Gillen's ideas about superheroics from his stint at Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Not talking about anything recent but I figure since it's an indie comic and with how popular Uber is in this thread... I just finished a reread of the 2014 Royals - Master of War comic by Ben Bailey and Rob Williams and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's about WW2 in a world where royal bloodlines had super-powers as manifestations of the divine right of kings. Protagonist is the younger son of a fictitious generation of the Windsor family (although the king takes a certain element from King Edward VIII). Against the understanding superpowered royals would sit out of commoner conflicts (royals having been happier to not impose their own will since the French royals were guillotined), the younger son is too moved by a sense of duty and the suffering during the Blitz to sit it out. Things evolve from there. It's six issues, so a quick read; while the themes about war a little all over the place, the character stuff with the protagonist and his immediate family is well-done, with characterisation for each of them about as good as could be expected in a short book which also has to have pages dedicated to war progress and plot. Art is hit-and-miss but not bad overall. Worth a read for anyone looking for something to tide them over between Uber issues.