Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sen is going to be butt blasted by fang because no way is the "slacker natural guy that gets by raw talent" is going to beat a dude as hardcore as fang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

https://mangadex.org/chapter/475385/1

ok

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
At least it was a cool fight

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
no poo poo wa s gay

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

Kinda wet fart of an ending. It came of more as Fang going "oh ok, guess I should stop handicapping myself and use things beside boxing, lol" and instantly winning than anything else.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Gg.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
If only Gaolang hadn't had a Kengan Zero chapter, he could have had one extra flashback to use during this fight.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i can't believe king rama just lost that many dollars

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Fang took a poo poo load of damage that fight. Hopefully its not just glossed over

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I mean I expected it but it kinda felt like the other kid on the playground just going "nuh-uh you lose now"

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
:mad:

Alright but he better loving rock Sen. Justice for Bando.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

It was appropriate I feel.

Both the Fang and Gaolong see themselves as the "sword" of their respective masters, losing the fight is far worse than giving up any pride they may have had. And the fang realized at the end, If I don't use a takedown, I will lose this fight. He says it himself "I could not surpass you in blows." the Fang in his mind failed to beat Gaolong at his own game.

Also the Fang is hella hosed up look at him.

And he'll be fine next fight cause magic bullshit final boss I'm sure.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I figured that given how much they were playing up Gaolang being The King of All Strikers, he would probably end up losing to a grapple.

It's actually pretty clever to get a guy into an extended punch-up for a whole battle and then suddenly spring a grab on him out of nowhere.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
On the one hand, we're already playing fast and loose with how much damage people can tank, and Agito still has some connection to the Niko style and in particuilar it's bullshit technique, Adamantine Kata. But for the past 5 Chapters Gaolang had been making Agito eat a lot of hits and he wouldn't go down (although he did black out). By contrast Agito got fewer clean hits in until this chapter and ends it with essentially three hits to the head.

On the other hand, this fight just shows that Gaolang and Agito are still on the same relative level as it was a momentary shift in approach that spelled the end of the battle. If they had a rematch, Gaolang could presumably win if he better anticipates a shift in style from Agito. So it goes back to the converstation he had with Saw after the loss to Rei about losing by a hair.

I'm fine with Gaolang losing, it doesn't really diminish the fact that he is one of the top fighters in this whole tournament. But man it's a bit sour because he did so well and dominated for such a long time to more or less crumple in the last chapter. While his opponent got so much more punishment.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm not even sure if Fang was using a Niko technique, flexing your muscles to power through the pain is a pretty common thing I think

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Fang was angered by seeing ohma use the Niko style against raian. I was thinking that fang has fought and lost against Niko but importantly was unable to copy his moves

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Jose posted:

Fang was angered by seeing ohma use the Niko style against raian. I was thinking that fang has fought and lost against Niko but importantly was unable to copy his moves

Uh, he literally just used a Niko style technique to win this fight.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was more or less what I was expecting to happen after last chapter emphasized Gaolang was possibly the best striker on the planet.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

Uh, he literally just used a Niko style technique to win this fight.

It's one of the more copyable ones

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That was a great fight, even if I'm disappointed in the outcome.

I like how the Fang is turning out to be the ultimate all-rounder. He's incredibly strong and tough, can copy his opponents techniques, but also has his own and falls back on them when he needs to. He's the least specialized of any fighter, but he's good enough at everything to make it work.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Gaolang has Ted Cruz eyes and they bother me.

There, I said it.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Begemot posted:

That was a great fight, even if I'm disappointed in the outcome.

I like how the Fang is turning out to be the ultimate all-rounder. He's incredibly strong and tough, can copy his opponents techniques, but also has his own and falls back on them when he needs to. He's the least specialized of any fighter, but he's good enough at everything to make it work.

So he's Goku?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

For the finals two dudes in full casts will be wheeled into the arena and it will all be decided with a thumb war.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

And it will be amazing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
https://mangadex.org/chapter/475385/1

well, we all knew what was coming

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Uh.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you think we'd actually get an internal monologue from Fang.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lt. Lizard posted:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

Kinda wet fart of an ending. It came of more as Fang going "oh ok, guess I should stop handicapping myself and use things beside boxing, lol" and instantly winning than anything else.

He stopped boxing two chapters ago, he started using his elbows and feet once he resorted to his own style, and even then Gaolong still had him on the ropes until Kanoh caught him off guard.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gaolang could have conceivably won that fight if the narrative didn't demand he lose it.

if they had a rematch fang would win easily, unfortunately.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Gaolang should've trained wrestling instead of just adding another striking discipline to his repertoire. :colbert:

I think Agito makes for better fights than Gao, honestly. Agito/Sen is gonna be interesting too, it's a magical Aikido lazy dude that's prone to distractions against this mega-adaptable beast that's exceptionally proud and likes to copy techniques/styles.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

gaolang could have conceivably won that fight if the narrative didn't demand he lose it.

if they had a rematch fang would win easily, unfortunately.

How do you figure? Even with his copy function Golan kept him on the ropes. If anything its still a mostly even fight just Gaolang has to better anticipate counter hits and grapples.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Hate-Senpai posted:

He stopped boxing two chapters ago, he started using his elbows and feet once he resorted to his own style, and even then Gaolong still had him on the ropes until Kanoh caught him off guard.

Yeah, "striking" would be a better term. Doesn't change anything about the fact that Fang was still using only extremely limited part of his skill-set, trying to beat Gaolang at his own game and won instantly when he decided not to do that. :shrug:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not like gaolang has never fought grapplers before. fang saved the switchup for a critical moment.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

fang would have died if gaolang got him in a clinch

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, "striking" would be a better term. Doesn't change anything about the fact that Fang was still using only extremely limited part of his skill-set, trying to beat Gaolang at his own game and won instantly when he decided not to do that. :shrug:

He won specifically because he fought Gaolang in a brutal punch-up for an entire match that involved Gaolang taking multiple brutal headshots, then snuck in a single grapple completely out of nowhere to wrongfoot Gaolang for just a moment, which in turn allowed him to finish it with a strike.

The point is that the only reason why it worked is because of the switch up, not because "oh he could have owned Gaolang at any time if he just used his grapples". Gaolang is a top tier fighter, it's not like he's never fought a dude who can grapple before in his life. Fang is deadly because his adaptation and improvisation makes it incredibly difficult to actually get a read on what he's going to do.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kanos posted:

He won specifically because he fought Gaolang in a brutal punch-up for an entire match that involved Gaolang taking multiple brutal headshots, then snuck in a single grapple completely out of nowhere to wrongfoot Gaolang for just a moment, which in turn allowed him to finish it with a strike.

The point is that the only reason why it worked is because of the switch up, not because "oh he could have owned Gaolang at any time if he just used his grapples". Gaolang is a top tier fighter, it's not like he's never fought a dude who can grapple before in his life. Fang is deadly because his adaptation and improvisation makes it incredibly difficult to actually get a read on what he's going to do.
But at the same time Gaolang is so good he can force his opponent to fight the way he wants because his predictive abilities and skill are that high. It cannot be understated that the chin shot is what put Gaolang in the position to not be able to react to the grapple since it ducked his balance and caused him to get opened up as much he did. In addition to committing to a straight for that final step.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Kanos posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing if Fang had even just done the switch up earlier in the battle it might not have worked. It's similar to the mindset behind Cosmo's zone. At the end of a tough fight when the opponent is really trying to go for the kill is when they're most vulnerable to that sort of thing.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Kanos posted:

Yeah, Fang was on the ropes a long time and gave up boxing and then went to striking and even throwing before this. It was his tactics that mattered, along with throwing away his pride. If he had done it earlier and just tried to curbstomp him in the fight, he would have lost.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Saw paing owns

https://mangadex.org/chapter/475927/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shocked that one punch to the jaw totally threw Gaolang off his rhythm like that though. After seeing freaks like Sekibayashi and Saw Paing being punching bagged around the arena I guess I'm just still stunned by this.