Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Saw the show. Way better than when I saw the lineup during the Oceania tour. They played good that time, but the lineup they had now really could play the songs heavier and better.

It had a lot of moving stuff and Billy hammed things up a ton which made the whole thing super enjoyable.

Highly recommend people see this because it was an amazing show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

The Black Stones posted:

Saw the show. Way better than when I saw the lineup during the Oceania tour. They played good that time, but the lineup they had now really could play the songs heavier and better.

It had a lot of moving stuff and Billy hammed things up a ton which made the whole thing super enjoyable.

Highly recommend people see this because it was an amazing show.

Agreed, it was incredible.

You can hear the world premiere of Silvery Sometimes (Ghosts) here, at around 1:53:00.

It's a step in the right direction. It feels like Billy's trying to keep the charm of the past while taking the composition out of old patterns. Very 1979-esque, but I feel like the chorus is a little weak.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I like the song more than Solara, but I agree about the chorus. I wish he'd opened it up a little more and went bigger with the chorus. Still pretty promising I think.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think I've finally realized what my issue is with recent Pumpkins songs. The music itself is fine and while we all know that his vocals are mixed WAY to hot in each track (in other words, he sounds much closer to the listener than the machina-era-and-earlier tracks) it's the lack of emotional dynamics in his singing. It's like there's no more "whisper to a scream" to their music anymore. Obviously not every classic Pumpkins song had that, but there was a lot.

Now there seems to be way less, if any at all. Even the tracks that aim for that seem to miss the mark.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Here's a Youtube link to the new track for anyone who doesn't want to use that BBC radio link that Framboise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSb9YSr38u8

You all summed up how I feel about the track, I like it better than Solara but yeah it does feel like it could have went a bit bigger somewhere along the way.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
New song owns bones. I don't even have a problem with the vocal mixing for once. I can kind of see how people would want the chorus to go big but I liked it how it is. Just a chill little song that's pretty and pleasant.

Also I am a dork and love the line "You scan the fields, someone dies tonight. It’s tragic, but at least it’s not you." It is so Billy and corny but I can't help but love it. I think it's a beautifully written song. Solara had distortion, but I prefer this song out of the two singles. By far.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
https://store.smashingpumpkins.com/shiny-and-oh-so-bright-bundles.html

Bundles and preorders for the new album. I'm picking up the box set with the IGT 7"s. I've never bought vinyl before and I don't even have something to play them on, but this'll be a first for me.

BlooRadley
Sep 16, 2018
I went to The Smashing Pumpkins show in Seattle at the Key Arena! 3 hour and 14 minutes! They played there hearts out that night. Such an amazing show! Was anyone else at the Seattle show?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wait, the new album with new music is called the same as the tour that specifically consists of ~3 hours of previous music, plus a few covers, and Solara?

:psyduck:

BlooRadley
Sep 16, 2018
Yeah it was pretty much that! Yet it all felt new with how much he was feeling the music that night. The visuals also made the songs feel new.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BlooRadley posted:

Yeah it was pretty much that! Yet it all felt new with how much he was feeling the music that night. The visuals also made the songs feel new.

I have no doubt that the shows are amazing, and I'm kicking myself for not even attempting to make it to the Montreal show, but it's loving weird to me that the new album and what is essentially the 30th anniversary/reunion tour have the same name.

BlooRadley
Sep 16, 2018
I really hope they add some new stuff to the album! Did you know they live streamed the Seattle show? It's still floating around. 😊

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Hasn't been mentioned here so I thought I'd bring it up: A Machina super-deluxe set is in the works; Billy is in the process of arranging and combining and remastering some unused tracks and finishing Machina II the way it should have been finished. Final product will have both albums combined with the usual demos/alternate tracks and live DVD, etc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know that I trust modern Billy to fix Machina 2

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
crank them vox

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Framboise posted:

and live DVD

we can only hope what this will be

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

I don't know that I trust modern Billy to fix Machina 2

Seaniqua posted:

crank them vox

I am really hoping Rick Rubin stays ten million miles away from it, yes.

polyester concept posted:

we can only hope what this will be

BC's already said it won't be their final show before breakup, so who knows.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
holy lol

Billy Corgan posted:

the album, as yet to be written, would be conceptual in nature, where each of us would play a garish, cartoonish version of our public personae to both invite controversy and curiousity

Billy Corgan posted:

With touring, the remaining members quickly abandoned the agreed upon conceptual / performance aspects, leaving me to play my character alone, much to the consternation of fans and media alike.

imagine giving a poo poo that Billy was the only person on stage taking this seriously

"but mah immersion" :qq:

olives black fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 2, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wait, so... the media was asking about 'what is up with Billy?' back in 2000? I don't remember this, and I was following them. I remember it was supposed to be a concept album, and there was artwork, and an animated... thing? along with it, but honestly, I never noticed that ol' WPC was being a caricature of himself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
William Corgan is so goddamn silly I can't even hate him for it

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
WPC is 100% more likable when you just accept he's a loving weirdo.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Goddamn I REALLY want that Metro show in some form.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

A Big... Dog posted:

Goddamn I REALLY want that Metro show in some form.

I'm sure it'll happen sometime.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Framboise posted:

WPC is 100% more likable when you just accept he's a loving weirdo.

If you posted a fake interview where he claims to have invented riffs and the concept of men wearing skirts I would 100% think it was real

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
New track "Knights of Malta" dropped today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O80Kwt4zcxs

It's not a banger but I like the lyrics.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, I love the new single. Holy poo poo there's been three singles and I love all of them. Knights of Malta reminds me of the songs from the protest era.

I love the use of reverse guitar too. It sounds kind of like Billy's solo stuff but way more Pumpkins-y and guitar oriented. And this single gives me heavy American Gothic vibes and that's one of my favourite releases.

So yeah, I really, really dig the new songs. And it's a relief after the borefest that was Monuments.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
When it first started I was a little worried I wasn’t going to like it, but that was great. Billy seemed to make an effort to actually put a bit of range into his voice (though it’s nowhere near the Mellon or Machina).

It’s way better than the less heavy songs on Monuments for sure. I really hope they follow up this shorter album with a full length 12-13 song effort because they seem to have something going again.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

The Black Stones posted:

When it first started I was a little worried I wasn’t going to like it, but that was great. Billy seemed to make an effort to actually put a bit of range into his voice (though it’s nowhere near the Mellon or Machina).

It’s way better than the less heavy songs on Monuments for sure. I really hope they follow up this shorter album with a full length 12-13 song effort because they seem to have something going again.

Bad news I'm afraid. Shiny Vol. 2 is supposed to be 8 tracks as well. Billy did report that he has finished his next solo LP though, which has more tracks on it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
All the singles are good, but there are some weird issues with all of them.
Solara's mix is still kinda wonky, the drums have way too much stick attack so everything just sounds like a click. I'm not sure if it's a recording issue or a micing thing or something with compression or triggers or what. I will say that the album mix from the preorder sounds wayyyy better than the mix on the youtube videos.
Silvery Sometimes is a good song and is catchy as poo poo, but I'm a little sad Jimmy's just playing a loop with no variation or fills.
Knights of Malta is very very good except for the "whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa" during the intro and chorus. This is the first song on the album, the very first thing anyone's going to be hearing is that idiotic whoa whoa.

olives black posted:

holy lol

Billy was the only person on stage taking this seriously

Pretty much, I remember some live clip from that era (maybe Cash Car Star on Leno?) where Billy says something to James and he just rolls his eyes and deadpans "oh I am just here to rock." :geno:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd love to see that live clip.

I looked up Cash Car Star on youtube (ha, I'd love to hear a parody called Cash Cab Star) and I remember watching this years agi, thinking that they're basically speed running the song. I know live performances are usually a faster, but goddamn. This doesn't even seem organic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=engk-a3OJs0

Also, I will forever :swoon: over Melissa. :canada: represent!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Baron von Eevl posted:

All the singles are good, but there are some weird issues with all of them.
Solara's mix is still kinda wonky, the drums have way too much stick attack so everything just sounds like a click. I'm not sure if it's a recording issue or a micing thing or something with compression or triggers or what. I will say that the album mix from the preorder sounds wayyyy better than the mix on the youtube videos.

Fairly certain it's because Rick Rubin. Hearing the song live made me like the song. It kicked rear end live.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I really think they realized that the mix sucked after the first release, unless it was youtube's compression algorithms loving everything up. I'm serious, the version that I downloaded with a preorder is just slightly tweaked but it sounds so much better.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

olives black posted:

holy lol

imagine giving a poo poo that Billy was the only person on stage taking this seriously

"but mah immersion" :qq:

I remember this, and they were gonna do some weird web toon series with them in the Glass and the Ghost Children characters.

It all sounded just as dumb back then too.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm pretty sure the completed Glass webtoons are floating around out there and yes they are bad. They are exactly as bad as you'd expect a self-serious Smashing Pumpkins anime to be.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd love to see that live clip.

I looked up Cash Car Star on youtube (ha, I'd love to hear a parody called Cash Cab Star) and I remember watching this years agi, thinking that they're basically speed running the song. I know live performances are usually a faster, but goddamn. This doesn't even seem organic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=engk-a3OJs0

Also, I will forever :swoon: over Melissa. :canada: represent!

Wow. Were those Machina II LPs a REAL thing at one point, or was he just holding up a prop for the intro?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

hatelull posted:

Wow. Were those Machina II LPs a REAL thing at one point, or was he just holding up a prop for the intro?

Yeah, that's the only official version that ever existed outside of Real Love that appeared in Rotten Apples. They made 25 copies total of the LP and EPs and sent them to superfans with instructions to rip the vinyl and get it out there.

edit: the art was packing tape with those icons printed on it wrapped around pain black and white sleeves

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If you haven't listened to Machina or Machina II (especially II) definitely do it. Heavy stuff but some super pretty songs. Out of all the reissues I've been most excited for the Machina double album because goddamn it that's what it should have been in the first place. It's not MCIS but it's a phenomenal album and was unfairly neutered.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah. If you haven't heard Dross or the Machina II version of Let Me Give The World To You, please do so.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

syntaxfunction posted:

If you haven't listened to Machina or Machina II (especially II) definitely do it. Heavy stuff but some super pretty songs. Out of all the reissues I've been most excited for the Machina double album because goddamn it that's what it should have been in the first place. It's not MCIS but it's a phenomenal album and was unfairly neutered.

God knows how long we're going to have to wait for it, but I'd honestly even take a real solid remaster of the original Machina album. It's got some great stuff on there and the band's totally knocking it out of the park but the mix has some issues and the master is just dreadful. All the problems with the original master of MCIS but way way worse, like the low frequencies are just smashed and completely blown out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mellon Collie has some of the most inexplicably bad mixing I've ever heard