Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yo shut the gently caress up halloween 2018 was dope as poo poo and i just wrote a bunch of words about it in the thread for that movie

its just

its so good

i have not enjoyed a movie that much, enjoyed thinking about it that much, in an incredibly long time

its a sequel that treats not only other sequels as non-canon but the original as well

gently caress me

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I'm trying to find how to report a power outage and the "what to do" section of the power company's website is very sweet:

Remove the power plug for your sensitive appliances (computers, washing machines) from the wall sockets until power is restored, as a power surge when the power returns can damage and degrade your equipment.

Keep friends and loved ones entertained with board games, card games or jigsaw puzzles.

If the blackout is at night, weather permitting, take the time to explore the stars with your family and compare the difference with other nights.

Read a book by yourself or aloud to your family to help pass the time

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That owns

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I love the star gazing tip because if you're in the city it'll be your only chance to see the stars like that unless you go camping.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm a fool because I've never, ever, ever been able to recognize constellations. :(

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Timby posted:

I'm a fool because I've never, ever, ever been able to recognize constellations. :(

Neither have I

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Timby posted:

Really not a skill that gets a lot of use nowadays.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Timby posted:

All I need is the Little Dipster & Tillman's Crest and I'm good

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I leaned of Orion’s Belt thanks to men in black

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

That gives you a head start on spotting the rest of the guy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you live in the northern hemisphere you should be able to pick out the big dipper and know how to find the north star from there

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I think everyone in Australia and NZ and Brazil get taught how to spot the Southern Cross. Alpha and Beta Centauri who're bright as hell form a line that points to it

The place I'm at right now is pretty good for stars, you can see the disk of the galaxy pretty well on a good night

Also who was the dipshit that settled on The Milky Way

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 2, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Peccadillo posted:

Also who was the dipshit that settled on The Milky Way

Frank C. Mars. :v:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I remember reading years ago that the Mayans thought the large dark part of the galaxy they could see was hell, so I petition the astronomical community to rename our weak rear end galaxy to Xibalba

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Alternatively, The Emu

I'm down a rabbit hole reading about indigenous astronomy now. Behold New Zealand's Matariki: The Eyes of God, which I think is Ursa Major as it looks from down south

Galaxy name from New Zealand: Te Ikaroa, the basket that holds the stars

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 2, 2018

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
When the Hunger Games movies were coming out, was there a thread for them named "May the mods be ever in our favour"?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Peccadillo posted:

Alternatively, The Emu

I'm down a rabbit hole reading about indigenous astronomy now. Behold New Zealand's Matariki: The Eyes of God

Galaxy name from New Zealand: Te Ikaroa, the basket that holds the stars

That’s beautiful.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

South Australia, Yurakauwe: the river of monsters

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

"Various groups (including the Venda, Setswana and Sesotho) described it as a supernatural foot path across the sky along which the ancestor spirits walked. Many peoples referred to it as “Night’s backbone”, “Sky’s spine” and “God’s back”, suggesting the idea that the Milky Way held up the sky, or maybe held it together.

In /Xam Bushmen star lore, the Milky Way was created by a girl of the ancient race who scooped up a handful of ashes from the fire and flung it into the sky. This made a glowing path along which people could see the route to return home at night. She also threw bits of an edible root into the sky, the old (red) pieces creating red stars and the young (white) pieces creating white stars."

You forget stars are colourful when you can't see them very well

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CelticPredator posted:

I leaned of Orion’s Belt thanks to men in black

All I know is Orion is a cute lil goddam kitty cat

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Timby posted:

I took my 4-year-old to a Halloween hayride thing last week and he pointed out the Big Dipper to me. Of course, he then pointed up to a different place in the sky and said, "And that's Homer Simpson," so, you know.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Timby posted:

Russell Crowe told Cave to go as batshit crazy as he could, saying something like, "It'll never get made, mate."

Cave told me it's one of his favorite things he's done in his entire career.

But it's so ridiculous that it would probably make about 30 bucks at the box office.

I just want to see how people react to a movie called Christ Killer

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/BenSTravis/status/1057992660915552257

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
We’re in a post-Mandy world, they’re just cowards

Like that apparently

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 2, 2018

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Coffee And Pie posted:

All I know is Orion is a cute lil goddam kitty cat

I walked out my backdoor a couple minutues ago for a smoke and Orion was directly in my eyeline

Or the three brothers of the Djungal

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 2, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RBA Starblade posted:

I just want to see how people react to a movie called Christ Killer

After rewrites, it stars Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as a former US Marine turned high school basketball coach called Chris T. Killer who is transported back to Roman times by some sort of wormhole.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

What the gently caress

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Is the twist that Jaden doesn't appear in the credits, cuz that's the shocking part to me.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Did they really name their animated super spy Sterling on purpose? Because, uh,

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Did they really name their animated super spy Sterling on purpose? Because, uh,

Or you know, it might be a reference to real life spy and actor Sterling Hayden.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I finally did it. I use a contact lens solution that’s partly hydrogen peroxide (it dissolves built-up proteins better and neutralizes overnight) and I finally absentmindedly poured it directly into my eye. Ow.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

I finally did it. I use a contact lens solution that’s partly hydrogen peroxide (it dissolves built-up proteins better and neutralizes overnight) and I finally absentmindedly poured it directly into my eye. Ow.

I've done that once before. One of the most painful experiences of my life.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Lurdiak posted:

Or you know, it might be a reference to real life spy and actor Sterling Hayden.

I had no clue he was a spy, learn something new every day!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

Why did you put bleach in your eye, dude?!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The gently caress, lol.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I'm not sure if this is brilliant or the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Anonymous Robot posted:

I hope you’ve learned a valuable lesson.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
A talking pigeon!?

Person is involuntary turned into an animal is like a stock hack script.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I love the star gazing tip because if you're in the city it'll be your only chance to see the stars like that unless you go camping.

It's a neat idea, but unless the whole city loses power you're still going to have way more light pollution than you'd have on a camping trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Why are people so down on Godzilla vs. Megalon? That film owns.

• Locked thread