Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

McCann declined his option. I’d love to see him back in Atlanta

That is not the type of move AA makes. He's way more likely to trade for a guy with a couple years of control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1058186690743934976

Who are the Cubs trying to move who has associated salary? Chatwood I guess? Good loving luck, idiots.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1058186690743934976

Who are the Cubs trying to move who has associated salary? Chatwood I guess? Good loving luck, idiots.

Zobrist, maybe. But Chatwood is almost certainly more likely.

Edit: They also might be having buyers' remorse on Smyly because his recovery seems to have stalled.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
"seems to have stalled" is the Cubs 2018 motto.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Time for Adam Wainwright's annual theme Halloween costume with all his kids.

https://twitter.com/UncleCharlie50/status/1057746956754341888

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pancakes posted:

Time for Adam Wainwright's annual theme Halloween costume with all his kids.

https://twitter.com/UncleCharlie50/status/1057746956754341888

One on the left clearly too cool for this.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Aw cmon she's the queen, she looks the part :colbert:

I like the Cheshire Cat-on-the-DL costume though

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mustached Demon posted:

One on the left clearly too cool for this.

At least no one twisted her arm over it like the one on the right :haw:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1058369005327695872

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They got the Rangers to take Smyly because they were going to be on the hook for that buyout of Hamels.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I guess I'll reserve judgement until the return is announced (presumably it's fairly light) but this seems like a dumb move. Was it really going to break the bank to keep Smyly and his 7M around as a bullpen/stretch starter option for next year?

God that pickup looks so stupid now.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Sydin posted:

I guess I'll reserve judgement until the return is announced (presumably it's fairly light) but this seems like a dumb move. Was it really going to break the bank to keep Smyly and his 7M around as a bullpen/stretch starter option for next year?

It cost a whole 3m ? He hasn't thrown a major league inning since September 26th, 2016.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Sydin posted:

Looks a little better than what the M's gave up for him for his 2017 "season."

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Lester, Hendricks, Darvish, Hamels, and Quintana seems like a fine rotation as long as they can stay healthy and the offense remembers how to hit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah it should be fine. I'm not convinced Hamels is going to be all that great considering his September was actually pretty terrible and more in line with the rest of his season than his incredible August, but if he can eat innings and not be too terrible ala Lackey, then I'm onboard. Would be really cool if Darvish could stay healthy and Quintana could remember he's supposed to be a good pitcher though.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Seems like the Cubs bluffed the Rangers into taking a bad contract off their hands by threatening to not pick up the option, and stick the Rangers with the buyout, when they intended to bring Hamels back all along. GJ Epstein. I still wouldn't want to pay Cole Hamels' old busted rear end $20 million though.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

The Pussy Boss posted:

Seems like the Cubs bluffed the Rangers into taking a bad contract off their hands by threatening to not pick up the option, and stick the Rangers with the buyout, when they intended to bring Hamels back all along. GJ Epstein. I still wouldn't want to pay Cole Hamels' old busted rear end $20 million though.

I was on your lines of thinking before I really looked at it... 20m for 3+ WAR :shrug: It's not horrible. He's been a pretty consistent workhorse. And his home away splits with Texas were pretty bad.

If they declined it and tried to work out a deal they would probably have to give him more years and overall money and then other teams would be in as well. It was probably the right move.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Lester, Hendricks, Darvish, Hamels, and Quintana seems like a fine rotation as long as they can stay healthy and the offense remembers how to hit.

______ seems like a fine _____ as long as they can ________

The template of baseball woe.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Three hours until Clayton Kershaw opts out and signs with the Yankees. Can't wait.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

Three hours until Clayton Kershaw opts out and signs with the Yankees. Can't wait.

Kershaw, Corbin, CC, Happ, Gumby back midseason...Do The Yankees Have Too Many LHP? My column:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Chatwood Redemption Season

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
This is where I was two years ago today. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icvoo_Mzwic

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

:blastu:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

This is where I was two years ago today. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icvoo_Mzwic

I still get nervous anytime I think about Bryant coming up with that ball off balance and almost sailing it over Rizzos head.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

I still get nervous anytime I think about Bryant coming up with that ball off balance and almost sailing it over Rizzos head.

I've rewatched the condensed game a few times over the past 2 years and it still gives me anxiety, even though I know the outcome.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Not sure why you guys are talking about ancient baseball history when free agency starts today?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Pussy Boss posted:

This post is mcmagic endorsed.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

Not sure why you guys are talking about ancient baseball history when free agency starts today?

The Cubsposting never stops, you know this.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Pussy Boss posted:

Ok fine.

I can't wait until the Cubs sign both Machado and Harper and also trade Addison Russell for Starlin Castro.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

The Cubsposting never stops, you know this.

Don't blame us, blame the mods who closed our cubsposting containment thread. :argh:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1058416207487995905

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1058398604296142848

:pray:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I was just teasing, I too like to reminisce about when my baseball team was good

News: Dodgers will give Grandal a QO and are still deciding whether to extend one to Ryu as well

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

Chatwood Redemption Season

Kind of wonder what they'll do with him. He's their 7th starter now I guess. Maybe 8th is Alzolay looks ready.

Sydin posted:

Yeah it should be fine. I'm not convinced Hamels is going to be all that great considering his September was actually pretty terrible and more in line with the rest of his season than his incredible August, but if he can eat innings and not be too terrible ala Lackey, then I'm onboard. Would be really cool if Darvish could stay healthy and Quintana could remember he's supposed to be a good pitcher though.

He had that one bad start in September at Arizona. Otherwise he was pretty good. Factor in getting Smyly off the books and it's $13 million for what at worst should be a big innings eater at the back of the rotation.

If you want to talk bad deals, I forgot the Cubs are on the hook for Kintzler at $5 million. Boy did that turn out to be a bad trade.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Pussy Boss posted:

I guess I'm just higher on Smyly than most others are, his rehab stalled this year but the claim was that was more due to the minor league season ending before he could complete his rehab and less any health issues on Smyly's part, and for $7M he could be a valuable bullpen piece/swingman if healthy. It is entirely possible though that he's got more lingering health problems than the Cubs let on and they figured he was dead money at this point. I'm also not particularly high on Hamels but time will tell.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cubs payroll is $200M with arb estimates included? Time to rebuild!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Indians didn't offer a QO to anybody, which I understand for their pitchers but I feel like Brantley was worth the offer.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Niwrad posted:

Kind of wonder what they'll do with him. He's their 7th starter now I guess. Maybe 8th is Alzolay looks ready.

He had that one bad start in September at Arizona. Otherwise he was pretty good. Factor in getting Smyly off the books and it's $13 million for what at worst should be a big innings eater at the back of the rotation.

If you want to talk bad deals, I forgot the Cubs are on the hook for Kintzler at $5 million. Boy did that turn out to be a bad trade.

I have to imagine Chatwood is going to get a shot in the spring, but if he's the same he gets relegated to the bullpen to be used in blowout games to chew up innings, and thrown in to start in case of injury. I do like the Cubs starting rotation. Not sure if there is a super ace in the bunch, but there's no duds either. Putting out above average guys five days in a row is better than most teams.

IMO, Cubs just need to find someone to play SS or 2B to fill in for Russell. If they pick up Harper, then someone has to get traded because how do you have an OF that consists of Schwarber, Heyward, Almora, Harper, and Zobrist. You're either benching some good talent, or a lot of money 40% of the time. I don't really think Zobrist can play 2B every day, but maybe that's the answer for that spot for at least one year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bird in a Blender posted:

I have to imagine Chatwood is going to get a shot in the spring, but if he's the same he gets relegated to the bullpen to be used in blowout games to chew up innings, and thrown in to start in case of injury.

There's zero chance Chatwood makes the rotation barring injury. Lester, Hendricks, Darvish, Q, and Hamels are all locks now.

He's either going to be dumped in a bad contract swap or he's going to be garbage time mop up man like you said.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Sydin posted:

I guess I'm just higher on Smyly than most others are, his rehab stalled this year but the claim was that was more due to the minor league season ending before he could complete his rehab and less any health issues on Smyly's part, and for $7M he could be a valuable bullpen piece/swingman if healthy. It is entirely possible though that he's got more lingering health problems than the Cubs let on and they figured he was dead money at this point. I'm also not particularly high on Hamels but time will tell.

tbh I have no idea if Drew Smyly is any good anymore, I just wouldn't want to depend on a lot of innings from a guy coming off of TJS. For example Andrew Heaney started off this season great but really fell off in the 2nd half. MLBTR made a good point that the Rangers are rebuilding so they can afford to give Smyly a spot in their rotation, and if he sucks, oh well. Plus if he's good they could flip him at the deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sydin posted:

There's zero chance Chatwood makes the rotation barring injury. Lester, Hendricks, Darvish, Q, and Hamels are all locks now.

He's either going to be dumped in a bad contract swap or he's going to be garbage time mop up man like you said.

If Chatwood is decent, they may go to a 6-man rotation, but otherwise I agree.