Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Gazpacho posted:

i think there might be a continuum between "hardly working at all" and "killing yourself"

lol YOSPOS: stealing from your employer is cool and good

but idk maybe like, apply yourself a bit more dude, those apps aren't gonna fart themselves.

If your happy and comfortable at your job then stick around, if you want to apply yourself more but don't want to leave then take on a side project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

A guy quit and in the exit interview said it was because of me and he couldn't work with me. I'm the lead dev on the team.

He sucked and couldn't debug his way out of a paper bag. The team is already getting more done without em.

Overall, feels wierd to be hated like that. I was always reaching out to him to help him, but there is a bit more I could have done during his intro period to make sure we understood each other's personalities.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i guess currentjob is still interviewing b/c i got a last-minute request to fill in for a sick interviewer at 4pm on this friday afternoon

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Not even close to an offer yet or anything, but job I'm interviewing for says their expected annual payout is about 95k with 15% bonus (screener says its rare not to get the full bonus, but they would say that) and $10k in stock (the company is public and healthy) vested over three years, whatever that precisely means (just a screening so i haven't poked for deets yet)

Right now I make about 92k without the bonus or stock so it's a net improvement no matter how I slice it, I just don't know how much it really is except by the literal value of the numbers given, which i'm sure they'd claw back if they could, so:

what's the practical value there, where are the traps, and should i negotiate for anything in particular if i get that far in the interview process?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

Not even close to an offer yet or anything, but job I'm interviewing for says their expected annual payout is about 95k with 15% bonus (screener says its rare not to get the full bonus, but they would say that) and $10k in stock (the company is public and healthy) vested over three years, whatever that precisely means (just a screening so i haven't poked for deets yet)

Right now I make about 92k without the bonus or stock so it's a net improvement no matter how I slice it, I just don't know how much it really is except by the literal value of the numbers given, which i'm sure they'd claw back if they could, so:

what's the practical value there, where are the traps, and should i negotiate for anything in particular if i get that far in the interview process?

you can break the 6 figgie mark in salary alone, ciaphas i believe in you

(when you get the offer, if you get an offer, try counteroffering for 140k, or at least like 125k if you get the heebie-jeebies)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

KoRMaK posted:

A guy quit and in the exit interview said it was because of me and he couldn't work with me. I'm the lead dev on the team.

He sucked and couldn't debug his way out of a paper bag. The team is already getting more done without em.

Overall, feels wierd to be hated like that. I was always reaching out to him to help him, but there is a bit more I could have done during his intro period to make sure we understood each other's personalities.

maybe you were being a dick about offering help

it's a common personality trait male nerds tend to share

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i get the feeling that giant tech company means you have to have to pretend to work for 10 hours a day instead of 8 which tbh does sound exhausting

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jesus WEP posted:

i get the feeling that giant tech company means you have to have to pretend to work for 10 hours a day instead of 8 which tbh does sound exhausting

I get in at like 1015 and leave around 4. occasionally I might log in at night during a crunch time.

people doing more than that are easily led chumps with lovely bosses.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I work at a small potatoes tech shop and it seems like the 10 to 4 is pretty common for a lot of the teams here.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there was a period in my life where i was on 3 days, 14 hours a day, off 4

it was pretty interesting, i can't recommend it very much, but i can deffo recommend the 2 days 14 hours a day i did afterwards

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
in a tech workplace it is generally pretty hard to make people feel safe asking for or receiving help (something about a field dominated by marginally or poorly socialized men + one-upsmanship) but that's something I'm looking for in a workplace / looking to support wherever I go

a dude was let go like two weeks ago and he made a point on his way out of thanking me. inside my head I was like "I remember being patient and helpful but Jesus I only helped you twice what a loving desert this workplace is"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i'm so glad that the culture at my current job is so overwhelmingly positive because it's very common for companies to have a toxic relationship between sales/consulting/engineering

yesterday i was running an upgrade for our client and ran into all sorts of pitfalls. jumped into the product's chatroom and within minutes had two of their engineers on a webex poking through our project and not only fixing things- taking down notes of everything so that they can fix their upgrade tool so that the next person to run through this doesn't have these problems.

and get this- during the meeting a third engineer jumped in because he'd gotten back from lunch and wanted to help as well.

they expect to have the fixes for the issues i ran into in the build early next week

it's such a breath of fresh air

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

(when you get the offer, if you get an offer, try counteroffering for 140k, or at least like 125k if you get the heebie-jeebies)

i'll try that, thanks

though i have to stress this is just a phone screening, no expectation of getting that far yet (but it'd be nice)

tbh i'd even take a pay cut to escape helljob but i've no right to complain about that i guess, heh

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

jit bull transpile posted:

men are the worst, am i right!!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Stop being a sexist rear end in a top hat. Sometimes people are just incompetent and throw other more competent colleagues under the bus to cover it up.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

karms posted:

men are the worst, am i right!!

you are

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

qhat posted:

Stop being a sexist rear end in a top hat. Sometimes people are just incompetent and throw other more competent colleagues under the bus to cover it up.

lol imagine defending male nerds while posting in YOSPOS

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bob dobbs is dead posted:

those numbers seem aggressive, but the spirit is right. always counteroffer the first number

worst that can happen is they say "nah this was our final offer." they're not gonna walk away just because you dared to ask

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

those numbers seem aggressive, but the spirit is right. always counteroffer the first number

worst that can happen is they say "nah this was our final offer." they're not gonna walk away just because you dared to ask

about those other pieces of financial compensation (i'm gonna ignore bennies for the moment, again just phone screening stage):

should i factor in that 15% bonus and $10k stock somehow or be aware of any traps with them, or just value them at $0 and be done

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Stock is only fake compensation if your company is also fake. If they gave you real publicly traded stock you can value it at it's number value because you can actually sell it, minus any associated taxes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ciaphas posted:

should i factor in that 15% + $10k stock somehow or be aware of any traps with them, or just value them at $0 and be done

the stock is a firm promise. you stay at the company for your three years, you will receive the stock. it's public stock, so it's almost certainly worth something, too.

the bonus is very much industry- and firm-specific.

i know if i didn't get at least 100% of my bonus target in a given year, i'd be gone in a heartbeat. they would essentially be asking me to leave. i work for a large financial firm, so that's just how things are done.

at one of my past jobs they would promise you any amount of bonus target you asked for, because the normal payout was $0. lol. that was how things were done there. nobody got a bonus on a reliable basis.

unless you have some friends at the target company, i'm not sure you can get any reliable information about the odds of getting paid that bonus

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PokeJoe posted:

Stock is only fake compensation if your company is also fake. If they gave you real publicly traded stock you can value it at it's number value because you can actually sell it, minus any associated taxes

yeah. a public stock can go up or down but it is definitely worth something.

(options, of course, can be worth $0, if the stock price doesn't do the right thing. but you made it sound like it was a grant, not options.)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
i've only been here for a month now but i'm pretty sure joining a company with a zero tolerance for toxic dudebros and a soft-spoken and helpful engineering culture was the best thing i ever done

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

TheFluff posted:

i've only been here for a month now but i'm pretty sure joining a company with a zero tolerance for toxic dudebros and a soft-spoken and helpful engineering culture was the best thing i ever done

people treating each other like human beings is an underrated attribute in a workplace

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah. a public stock can go up or down but it is definitely worth something.

(options, of course, can be worth $0, if the stock price doesn't do the right thing. but you made it sound like it was a grant, not options.)

afaik it is a grant and not options, yes, 1/3 vested at each anniversary after the grant until 100% vested. it was just ten thousand foot deets tho, i'll be sure to check

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ciaphas posted:

afaik it is a grant and not options, yes, 1/3 vested at each anniversary. it was just ten thousand foot deets tho, i'll be sure to check

i wouldn't sweat it too hard on the stock grant. it's a small part of your total comp, and any time you spend talking about legal minutia on a part that isn't really negotiable is time spent NOT negotiating on what actually matters

get paid

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

rockin. thanks for the info

we'll see if it even comes up of course. i was just thinking about it after almost remembering to never reveal salary (i say almost because i refused to mention my current pay but i did mention i'm unbonused, rip) during that screening so i figured i'd check on other rules of getting through this interview nonsense

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah bonuses are entirely dependent on the company and like bsd said unless you have someone on the inside it's basically impossible to know until you've worked there for a year or two.

my last job the bonus was essentially impossible to get. it only paid out once a year and you had to hit at least 90% utilization for the entire year to get a pittance. it scaled from there where it didn't become worth anything unless you worked consistent 50-60 hour weeks for the entire year. it was designed to gently caress you because if you had a single bad month then say good bye to your bonus. (almost everyone has the occasional bad month). this is how poo poo companies operate

current job the bonus is quarterly and starts at 50% utilization and then ramps linearly to 133%. their very simply logic is that if you're going over 133% then gently caress you take a god damned break before you kill yourself, moron. these bonuses can essentially be counted as part of your compensation due to how easy it is to get. as long as you're doing your job you're getting it. it also serves as a way to slightly cut compensation to people who are probably on the way out anyways. miss one quarter- eh, poo poo happens. miss two quarters- something's up. miss three quarters- hope you've been polishing your resume

i've been here for about two and a half years and only missed one quarter so far. management gave me a 'spot bonus' which covered it and then some to send a clear message that i was performing fine we just had a wonky pipeline that quarter. this is how good companies operate

so in terms of interviewing: assume the bonus is zero or highly unlikely until you have better information to go on.

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 2, 2018

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Rex-Goliath posted:

current job the bonus is quarterly and starts at 50% utilization and then ramps linearly to 133%. their very simply logic is that if you're going over 133% then gently caress you take a god damned break before you kill yourself, moron.

q: 133% would mean averaging 53.3 hrs / week billed to clients? that does sound pretty aggressive (unless it's acceptable to bill time not spent specifically on client poo poo to clients, which, lol)

not going to think too hard about the billing targets of the lawyers in the waffle family.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

people treating each other like human beings is an underrated attribute in a workplace

:emptyquote:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

prisoner of waffles posted:

q: 133% would mean averaging 53.3 hrs / week billed to clients? that does sound pretty aggressive (unless it's acceptable to bill time not spent specifically on client poo poo to clients, which, lol)

not going to think too hard about the billing targets of the lawyers in the waffle family.

only billable hours matter. just because the dipshit client is letting you go 60 hours a week for a whole quarter doesn't mean the company will reward you for it

there are rare exceptions for hell projects where an army of consultants death march on some huge project but like i said management is good at doling out spot bonuses for those

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
welp, my job search is finally over. took about 2 months from start to finish, though it helped that i wasn't working during that time. ended up doing 7 onsites and getting 4 offers. now i'm moving forward with a Big Tech Co that's offering 185k base/15% bonus/80k signing/500k rsus (for reference this is NYC). as you can imagine i'm REALLY happy about that, my last job was a flat 130k, and i've come a long way from my first job six years ago making 60k. time to crack open a cold beer or 5

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm very open to that idea, but I don't think I was a dick about offering. I was always really supportive of helping them. I was very very patient with them, but I will say I wasn't absolutely perfect. It was a very trying relationship. They didn't know anything about how like classes or instances worked, or how variables and their scopes were defined, which means they basically misrepresented themselves in the interview. So anyway, whatever it was I was tooooo much of a dick from his perspective. But for me, and the other devs that had to work with him, they said I demonstrated really good patience.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Pie Colony posted:

welp, my job search is finally over. took about 2 months from start to finish, though it helped that i wasn't working during that time. ended up doing 7 onsites and getting 4 offers. now i'm moving forward with a Big Tech Co that's offering 185k base/15% bonus/80k signing/500k rsus (for reference this is NYC). as you can imagine i'm REALLY happy about that, my last job was a flat 130k, and i've come a long way from my first job six years ago making 60k. time to crack open a cold beer or 5

:yotj:

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

KoRMaK posted:

I'm very open to that idea, but I don't think I was a dick about offering. I was always really supportive of helping them. I was very very patient with them, but I will say I wasn't absolutely perfect. It was a very trying relationship. They didn't know anything about how like classes or instances worked, or how variables and their scopes were defined, which means they basically misrepresented themselves in the interview. So anyway, whatever it was I was tooooo much of a dick from his perspective. But for me, and the other devs that had to work with him, they said I demonstrated really good patience.

uhh yeah, it sounds like the root issue is that the person did not have the foundational knowledge they were supposed to. did y'all have a clear moment of "you are supposed to already know this stuff" / "we have a problem and you need to study up on some poo poo" type communications?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

TheFluff posted:

3 months for me, but extremely same

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
just to be clear you're not going to double a $160k salary as a bay area computer toucher at a tech giant, they pay market rates and immigrants will eat your lunch

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Gazpacho posted:

just to be clear you're not going to double a $160k salary as a bay area computer toucher at a tech giant, they pay market rates and immigrants will eat your lunch

well i might not double the salary but maybe i could get something more like what Pie Colony just posted, where after a few years of vesting i would have effectively doubled (or more) my yearly income

at a non-bigtech-co you don't get 500k of rsus because they can't just print more special google money to hand to you

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Gazpacho posted:

Dan Luu wrote in 2016:

quote:

The numbers will vary depending on circumstances, but we can do a back of the envelope calculation and adjust for circumstances afterwards. Median income in the U.S. is about $30k/yr. The somewhat bogus zeroth order lifetime earnings approximation I'll use is $30k * 40 = $1.2M. A new grad at Google/FB/Amazon with a lowball offer will have a total comp (salary + bonus + equity) of $130k/yr. According to glassdoor's current numbers, someone who makes it to T5/senior at Google should have a total comp of around $250k/yr. These are fairly conservative numbers (1).

Someone who's not particularly successful, but not particularly unsuccessful will probably make senior in five years. For our conservative baseline, let's assume that we'll never make it past senior, into the pay grades where compensation really skyrockets.

[...]

(1): In particular, the Glassdoor numbers seem low for an average. I suspect that's because their average is weighed down by older numbers, while compensation has skyrocketed the past seven years. The average numbers on Glassdoor don't even match the average numbers I heard from other people in my Midwestern satellite office in a large town two years ago, and the market has gone up sharply since then. More recently, on the upper end, I know someone fresh out of school who has a total comp of almost $250k/yr ($350k equity over four years, a $50k signing bonus, plus a generous salary). As is normal, they got a number of offers with varying compensation levels, and then Facebook came in and bid him up. The companies that are serious about competing for people matched the offers, and that was that. This included bids in Seattle and Austin that matched the bids in SV. If you're negotiating an offer, the thing that's critical isn't to be some kind of super genius. It's enough to be pretty good, know what the market is paying, and have multiple offers. This person was worth every penny, which is why he got his offers, but I know several people who are just as good who make half as much just because they only got a single offer and had no leverage.

Anyway, the point of this footnote is just that the total comp for experienced engineers can go way above the numbers mentioned in the post. In the analysis that follows, keep in mind that I'm using conservative numbers and that an aggressive estimate for experienced engineers would be much higher. Just for example, at Google, senior is level 5 out of 11 on a scale that effectively starts at 3. At Microsoft, it's 63 out of a weirdo scale that starts at 59 and goes to 70-something and then jumps up to 80 (or something like that, I always forget the details because the scale is so silly). Senior isn't a particularly high band, and people at senior often have total comp substantially greater than $250k/yr. Note that these numbers also don't include the above market rate of stock growth at trendy large companies in the past few years. If you've actually taken this deal, your RSUs have likely appreciated substantially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Pie Colony posted:

drat dude, congrats.