Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A smart promotional thing they did in the UK when DVD came out was making it so you could buy the DVD at regular retail price when the VHS was only available to rent (and thus had the $100-200 sale price). Regular widescreen SD CRT TVs were also pretty popular from the late 90s in Europe which I don't think was as big a deal in the US, so DVDs made total sense over zooming letterboxed VHS tapes, which weren't readily available anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Another Criterion sale already?

OKAY, I guess I’ll go pick up The Princess Bride...

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sir Lemming posted:

I love Blu-ray but it was clearly not the same paradigm shift that DVD was. It's DVD but better. Combine that with streaming and it's easy to see why it's not as popular. But it's sort of like comparing TV ratings today with ratings from the '90s. "Not as popular" doesn't amount to failing.

Blu-Ray was a harder sale. I remember people asking me why would I even bother with high definition, since standard definition looked good enough. It was a baffling piece of logic to me - after all, I want my movies to look the best they reasonably can.

But, remember, a lot of people didn't have an HDTV, they weren't interested in rebuying their movies, and then there was confusion with the format war.

And the thing is, DVD is still good enough. And it's challenging to supplant good enough with better.

And UHD has another challenge. The way I compare BR with UHD is that BR is an 8 out of 10, UHD is a 9 or 10.

It's better, but not a huge leap forward.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'll always choose UHD over Blu Ray when given the choice, but I wouldn't upgrade something I already own unless there's some other compelling reason to.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The fact that UHD isn't a total game-changer is a positive in my opinion, because yea I wasn't going to all of the sudden trash my blu ray collection and re-buy everything. But what I was willing to do is just buy the 4k t.v. and UHD player, and ok so going forward if I buy a new film where there's an option for UHD I can go that route, I have the equipment for it. So my collection will stay as mostly blu ray for the forseeable future, because it's not like there are more than 1 or 2 UHD release per month that I'm interested in. And because UHD isn't a huge leap forward, those blu rays don't feel obsolete, I can put them in and enjoy them just fine.

With DVD to blu ray it felt like enough of a jump in image quality that I did kinda feel like my DVDs had become worthless and I mostly replaced them all. I'm happy to not feel compelled to do that this time, but also happy that UHD is available as an option.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm only upgrading stuff to UHD if it's a thing I really love or I hear it's revelatory in 4k. Or they fixed a hosed up color job or something similar for it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm only upgrading stuff to UHD if it's a thing I really love or I hear it's revelatory in 4k. Or they fixed a hosed up color job or something similar for it.

:same:

Although I will make an exception for new releases I had already planned on picking up if the 4K is within $5 of the regular Blu.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Although I will make an exception for new releases I had already planned on picking up if the 4K is within $5 of the regular Blu.

Yea, like when I bought Infinity War of course the regular blu was like 27.99 already so there was really no reason not to spend maybe $3 more for the UHD. A lot of new releases are so over-priced anyway that the difference is negligible.

Different story though if you want to own a copy of like X: Men First Class, where you can find dirt cheap blu rays but then because the UHD is newer you still have to pay like $20, and for something that's not all that much of an upgrade.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh yeah, all new movies will be UHD if available cause why not.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Are we still posting our collections? Because here's mine:

https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=480875&action=hybrid

For some reason, the Australian/NZ release of The Evil Dead Anthology set doesn't list the other films.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
One theoretical advantage to digital purchases which I'd love to see become standard (but I'm certainly not holding my breath) is how Google and Apple did a thing where they automatically upgraded all digitally purchased movies to 4K (if available). Of course, not having used those services myself, I have no idea how much freedom/portability they offer.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

One theoretical advantage to digital purchases which I'd love to see become standard (but I'm certainly not holding my breath) is how Google and Apple did a thing where they automatically upgraded all digitally purchased movies to 4K (if available). Of course, not having used those services myself, I have no idea how much freedom/portability they offer.

This poo poo is super hit and miss, and I've had them actually downgrade me back to hd before too.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

It's good and I wish everyone would follow through with it but it's also really kinda lovely.

If I buy a movie on like vudu or redeem a blu-ray code and have the movie populate w/movies anywhere, I don't get the upgrade (at least with google) because I didn't purchase from them. Also google has no path to upgrade so it's not even like I can re-buy the movie from them to get the upgrade. I like the idea but the practice needs work.

I haven't had downgrades but the like three movies I have that aren't upgraded are really annoying to see. I haven't tried contacting support to see if they can help yet so if someone has different results, I'd love to hear them.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I have two questions about UHD that I cannot get a clear answer on: the Target Black Friday ad leaked, and it has a Sony UHD player for $150. My receiver is a Sony STR DH750... this will work with that player without any issues, right? I have another one of these receivers in our bedroom, but the TV in there isn't 4K. If I bought a second UHD player for that room, will it work on the regular 1080p TV, or does it have to be 4K? If my receiver can do 4K without issue, and I can play the discs regardless what type of TV I have, then I'll make the UHD jump. Otherwise, I'll just stay with Blu-ray for now. Any help would be appreciated.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Do not do Black Friday anything

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I've found Black Friday to be the best time to get a new player and deals on movies.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Whenever I've done Black Friday shopping I've bought random movies I wouldn't otherwise get such as Woochi: The Demon Slayer.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah. Like, I'd get Alien on 4k in a heartbeat if they released it, but that's because the film has such stark darkness and light already that it would probably be gorgeous.

Aliens on the other hand... It's a great film, but not one I'd upgrade.

Speaking of which 2001 is gorgeous and is a total killer app. Like, if someone doesn't believe in HDR, put it on.

Also, the descriptive audio is hilarious.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Better or comparable deals are available online and in stores all through out the Christmas shopping season (I really hate that combination of words). Black Friday is dumb and so over the top that I consider it a national embarrassment and we are a country with no shortage of things to be embarrassed about.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Do not do Black Friday anything

Yes and no. Don’t do the lovely one offs from Sorny and Republivox or whatever fake rear end brands that will come out, or the lovely SKUs from known MFGs and OEMs. Something like that UHD player is a regular offering that’s just a good deal.

However, I’m holding off because there’s still an issue of what players support which HDR standards right? Like Sony’s highest end UHD player is the only one w Dolby Vision or whatever.

EDIT: ultraviolence, that should be fine. Just won’t output 4K is all.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yes and no. Don’t do the lovely one offs from Sorny and Republivox or whatever fake rear end brands that will come out, or the lovely SKUs from known MFGs and OEMs. Something like that UHD player is a regular offering that’s just a good deal.

However, I’m holding off because there’s still an issue of what players support which HDR standards right? Like Sony’s highest end UHD player is the only one w Dolby Vision or whatever.

EDIT: ultraviolence, that should be fine. Just won’t output 4K is all.

So, every player will output HDR on every disc that supports it. There are two standards - HDR-10 and Dolby Vision.

Dolby Vision is like DTS Master Audio in that there's an HDR-10 core that all players can understand. So you will get a better picture, but you'll get a more refined experience with Dolby Vision.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Almost Blue posted:

Whenever I've done Black Friday shopping I've bought random movies I wouldn't otherwise get such as Woochi: The Demon Slayer.

Haha I bought the same disc last year

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

If you happen to be into good movies, Blue Velvet is only $5.99 on Amazon right now.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Sorry, it's only bad movies for me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Your loss. I find good movies, generally, to be better than bad movies.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Bad Boys 1 and 2 on 4K and BD in a Steelbook for $24.99: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bad-boys-i-ii-steelbook-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-only--best-buy/6261233.p?skuId=6261233

Between the 4K and the reduction from 2 cases to 1, this was a no-brainer. I figured other folks in here might be interested.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
For anyone who still has money leftover from the Barnes & Noble Criterion sale, Arrow Video just announced that their 50% off Barnes & Noble sale has begun and runs through 1/6/2019.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Bad Boys 1 and 2 on 4K and BD in a Steelbook for $24.99: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bad-boys-i-ii-steelbook-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-only--best-buy/6261233.p?skuId=6261233

Between the 4K and the reduction from 2 cases to 1, this was a no-brainer. I figured other folks in here might be interested.

I grabbed that on release day for like $10 more but it was worth it for that price too. The Bad Boys movies were perfect candidates for the UHD treatment and they look fantastic, if Michael Bay action movies are at all your thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

Better or comparable deals are available online and in stores all through out the Christmas shopping season (I really hate that combination of words). Black Friday is dumb and so over the top that I consider it a national embarrassment and we are a country with no shortage of things to be embarrassed about.

Black Friday is pretty terrible, although as an insomniac, it is great for me getting up at 3 am and having somewhere to go that doesn't involve waffles. And like every year, if I'm up, I'll go poke around and buy some movies, but otherwise I stay home.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For anyone who still has money leftover from the Barnes & Noble Criterion sale, Arrow Video just announced that their 50% off Barnes & Noble sale has begun and runs through 1/6/2019.

I didn’t even know B&N carried Arrow stuff. Do they tend to have a decent selection?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

I didn’t even know B&N carried Arrow stuff. Do they tend to have a decent selection?

Not from my experience, it's probably more of an online sale practically speaking. Although I did happen upon a copy of Blood and Black Lace at a B&N one time.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Jesus, now all I need is a half off Shout sale and kiss all my paychecks goodbye.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Xenomrph posted:

It’s extremely slim pickings in-store usually, but the sale is online as well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s extremely slim pickings in-store usually, but the sale is online as well.

I was hoping to stack my 10% B&N member discount, but that’s in-store stuff only. :saddowns:

If I find stuff on their website I could probably make a list, go to the store, and have them order it for delivery to the store. I’ve done that with Criterion stuff before.

Speaking of, the B&N website has a link directly to the Criterion stuff right now because of the sale; did they do the same thing for Arrow?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenomrph posted:

I was hoping to stack my 10% B&N member discount, but that’s in-store stuff only. :saddowns:

If I find stuff on their website I could probably make a list, go to the store, and have them order it for delivery to the store. I’ve done that with Criterion stuff before.

Speaking of, the B&N website has a link directly to the Criterion stuff right now because of the sale; did they do the same thing for Arrow?
https://m.barnesandnoble.com/b/movies-tv/_/N-8qhZ1z09bvx

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-street-fighter-collection?product_id=6985

The Street Fighter Collection, coming from Shout on Feb 19th. Finally can toss my bootleg DVDs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
At least it's not Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li :shudder:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ultraviolence123 posted:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-street-fighter-collection?product_id=6985

The Street Fighter Collection, coming from Shout on Feb 19th. Finally can toss my bootleg DVDs.

For a minute I thought it was going to be some kind of Shout collector’s edition release of ‘Street Fighter’ with Raul Julia and Jean Claude Van Damme, with a new 4K restoration and 17 hours of bonus features.

I’d buy that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They really should include that as a gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Street Fighter The Movie is pretty good for what it is IMO