Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1058425155855228933

itshappening.gif?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Indians looking to make sure no team in the AL Central has a record above .500 next year.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1058421239704887299

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Inspector_666 posted:

Indians looking to make sure no team in the AL Central has a record above .500 next year.

If they flame out in the ALDS again next year, my guess is they'll gut the team further and just keep stringing Kluber and Lindor along before entering full rebuild mode in 2022.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

I was just teasing, I too like to reminisce about when my baseball team was good

News: Dodgers will give Grandal a QO and are still deciding whether to extend one to Ryu as well
They should absolutely give Ryu one as well, one year at $18M is the kind of risk this team can easily take when his upside is so great. If he declines it, I'd bet the draft pick drags his stock down enough that the Dodgers could bring him back on a multiyear deal with IP incentives.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cleveland has a payroll of $93M. Paul Dolan, their owner, has a $2.3B net worth.

"Market constraints" my rear end, gently caress the wealthy with a rusty pitchfork.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Inspector_666 posted:

Yankees should be all over Kluber and Carrasco. They have the prospects to do it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If they flame out in the ALDS again next year, my guess is they'll gut the team further and just keep stringing Kluber and Lindor along before entering full rebuild mode in 2022.

The Tweet is oddly worded but implies that Lindor and Ramirez are the only guys not on the block right now.

mcmagic posted:

Yankees should be all over Kluber and Carrasco. They have the prospects to do it.

One million percent agreed.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Inspector_666 posted:

The AL Central shouldn't be allowed to exist. Just let the east and west put up 2 teams each and call it a day.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

What a clownshoes organization

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If the Indians do a full teardown this offseason, the Dolans will have achieved what I never conceived of being possible, being worse Cleveland sports owners than Haslam. Why not just loving trade Lindor and Ramirez to close the gap closer to Modell?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If Cleveland is going into a semi sell off, the White Sox need to jump and make a push now IMO. They were really bad this year, but have some key pieces in their farm system they can call up. They could probably wait until 2020 to really make a push, but with all teams except Cleveland going through a rebuild, you don't want to be trying to compete with every other team at the same time in 3-4 years.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

If Cleveland is going into a semi sell off, the White Sox need to jump and make a push now IMO. They were really bad this year, but have some key pieces in their farm system they can call up. They could probably wait until 2020 to really make a push, but with all teams except Cleveland going through a rebuild, you don't want to be trying to compete with every other team at the same time in 3-4 years.

White Sox are pretty far away I think. Without Kopech, that pitching staff is a dumpster fire. Moncada still needs time and you'd have to bank on Jimenez stepping in and putting up MVP numbers right away (which I wouldn't rule out, he's a stud).

Their push should start in 2020, maybe even 2021. It's when most of their prospects will be in the majors and they should have two front line starters in Kopech and Cease.

Good lord that Quintana trade was amazing for them.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Eloy’s coming the gently caress up next year after he gets the Bryant treatment. Robert is probably another year away. I don’t know where Cease is.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

There's zero chance Chatwood makes the rotation barring injury. Lester, Hendricks, Darvish, Q, and Hamels are all locks now.

He's either going to be dumped in a bad contract swap or he's going to be garbage time mop up man like you said.

Yeah, Chatwood was maybe the worst pitcher in all of baseball last year. I think it's far more likely they trade him and just eat most of the contract. Or just flat out release the guy.

I do wonder if they'd be open to moving one of those 5 starters if they needed to free up money for someone like Harper. Q makes the most sense since he's not really good anymore and his arbitration number is somewhat high.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Pancakes posted:

Eloy’s coming the gently caress up next year after he gets the Bryant treatment. Robert is probably another year away. I don’t know where Cease is.

Cease was dominating AA last season. Have to imagine he'll start in AAA and if he looks the same, they'll be forced to bring him up at some point. His issue is he has never thrown a lot of innings in a season.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
That seems moronic by the Indians, but I'm not surprised.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Niwrad posted:

White Sox are pretty far away I think. Without Kopech, that pitching staff is a dumpster fire. Moncada still needs time and you'd have to bank on Jimenez stepping in and putting up MVP numbers right away (which I wouldn't rule out, he's a stud).

Their push should start in 2020, maybe even 2021. It's when most of their prospects will be in the majors and they should have two front line starters in Kopech and Cease.

Good lord that Quintana trade was amazing for them.

Honestly I forgot about Kopech being out for the full year. Yea, 2019 is too early. They're close though. They could look at signing some FA this year with the hopes of having a complete team in 2020. Jimenez I think will come up and be MLB ready right away, he just is killing it in the minors.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Niwrad posted:

Giolito is looking more and more like a bust (although he seems like an awesome guy) but López and Rodon were putting up some decent outings and Fry seems like a decent bullpen arm.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

just 1 additional year, seems surprising

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1058441633388290049

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

gently caress me

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

That seems moronic by the Indians, but I'm not surprised.

:same:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pancakes posted:

Giolito is looking more and more like a bust (although he seems like an awesome guy) but López and Rodon were putting up some decent outings and Fry seems like a decent bullpen arm.

I always thought Giolito was way overrated as a prospect, I'm never glad to be right about those types of things, though.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Inspector_666 posted:

I always thought Giolito was way overrated as a prospect, I'm never glad to be right about those types of things, though.

It’s a shame, because when everyone was having their racist poo poo pulled up on twitter people scoured his history and all they could find was him being excited to go to the aquarium, eating Reese’s Puffs or watching Monsters University. When called on it he admitted his dark side was drinking milk from the carton. Plus he plays the French Horn. Just seems like a well-meaning dork. :allears:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/Bharper3407/status/1058373170959474688

Bryce seems excited about getting paid $300 million to play baseball and hell, who can blame him

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1058451700267302913?s=21
https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1058451795054419974?s=21

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: https://twitter.com/TBrownYahoo/status/1058451276822831104

V: praise

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Boooooo

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lol remember when people thought he'd surely leave for Texas at the first opportunity?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

...I don't think anyone thought that? But hey, grats on an extension for the best pitcher this generation.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That seems like a really good deal for the Dodgers. Kershaw is only 30, I figured he'd push for a long term contract.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

bawfuls posted:

lol remember when people thought he'd surely leave for Texas at the first opportunity?

Literally the entire first page of results are just Dallas writers lol

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Popete posted:

That seems like a really good deal for the Dodgers. Kershaw is only 30, I figured he'd push for a long term contract.

Kershaw had 2 years left. Is this adding 3 to that, or just extending his 2 years by one more year? If he's getting paid until he's 35, I'd say this is a decent deal. If it's just adding one more year, this seems bad for Kershaw. He'll be 33 and have a history of injuries. It will be tough to get anything more than a year or two deal at that point. Although, maybe he's only thinking of playing until 35 or so.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kershaw had 2 years left. Is this adding 3 to that, or just extending his 2 years by one more year? If he's getting paid until he's 35, I'd say this is a decent deal. If it's just adding one more year, this seems bad for Kershaw. He'll be 33 and have a history of injuries. It will be tough to get anything more than a year or two deal at that point. Although, maybe he's only thinking of playing until 35 or so.
it's adding 1 year to the existing 2

it's a steal

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Literally the entire first page of results are just Dallas writers lol
heard this all the time from Dodger fans chicken-littleing for the past several years

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Kershaw has only had 1 season with an ERA over 3.00 and that was his first year as a 20 year old.

How in the world did he only get a 1 year extension? He'll be 33 at that point and with his bad back may not be able to get a long term deal. This seems like the perfect time to push for a long term contract.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Because he doesn't actually want to play anywhere else.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Not a lot of teams giving out big, long contracts to pitchers over 30.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Jon Lester got 6/155 at age 30. How did Clayton Kershaw not get at least 5/150? He's the greatest pitcher since Pedro.

Slothass
Mar 6, 2004
I think he sees the writing in the wall with his ability this year. Use these three years to try to get a ring then retire.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's what I mean, if he thinks his back is only going to get worse why not get as much as you can guaranteed now? In 3 years he might not be able to get a contract or at least not one with much length.

A contract like this puts all the risk on Kershaw to remain healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I mean, he's guaranteed $93m just over the next three years, it's not like he isn't already getting his payday.