Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pointsofdata posted:

Yeah letting the applications control the data structures is a surefire way to end up with a lovely db, loads of duplication and misrecs everywhere

hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

on 80% of our web projects a database level not null condition on a field is technically impossible, because the php orm used shits it’s bed immediately

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
hi thanks for your urgent hotfix pr, however sorry for being pedantic but can you remove these newlines and add some here please :) thanks

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

on 80% of our web projects a database level not null condition on a field is technically impossible, because the php orm used shits it’s bed immediately

curse of the orm strikes again

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

no

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pointsofdata posted:

Yeah letting the applications control the data structures is a surefire way to end up with a lovely db, loads of duplication and misrecs everywhere

a combination of huge views and an orm is likewise a terrible idea

although views a pretty good, if the underlying db is bad then, well it’s all gonna be bad

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

gonadic io posted:

hi thanks for your urgent hotfix pr, however sorry for being pedantic but can you remove these newlines and add some here please :) thanks

lmao

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

cinci zoo sniper posted:

gonadic io posted:

pointsofdata posted:

curse of the orm strikes again

Boiled Water posted:

a combination of huge views and an orm is likewise a terrible idea

although views a pretty good, if the underlying db is bad then, well it’s all gonna be bad

the talent deficit posted:

in practice you just join the application layer and make sure you handle referential integrity problems at that level. like if someone wants to see all `tags` for a `post` or something you shouldn't just retrieve the tags via the post id, you should also check that the post id is still valid. you can't do this transactionally but it rarely matters with this kind of thing. if you do need transaction and strict referential integrity, just put the related things in the same db and use the same microservice to manage them

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

stonebraker is still salty about sql winning lol

pangstrom posted:

Maybe it's there under a different name. It's a 4d database
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th_Dimension_(software)

pangstrom posted:

good stuff for me, a terrible programmer. Was excited to see one of our major and terrible systems not even warrant a mention in the dozens and dozens of things he listed :)

fired fired fired fired fired fired

your all fired

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

finally, I'm free

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

AggressivelyStupid posted:

finally, I'm free

:twisted:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

redleader posted:

so is jooq good? it sounds ok and the maintainer sounds like the reasonable sort of crazy

It's really good.

CPColin posted:

jOOQ barely seems different from raw SQL strings. Like, you're just writing SQL with a different syntax. I guess the compile-time sanity checking is nice, but I don't see the appeal.

The difference is that with jOOQ if you write a query that has a different syntax in a different dialect, it does the translation automatically.

https://blog.jooq.org/2018/03/13/top-10-sql-dialect-emulations-implemented-in-jooq/

Plus you can write bindings to convert from/to java types transparently.

Like if you are binding potsgres's "timestamp with time zone" type, and you created a binding for a ZonedDateTime, you can have things like:

code:
public long getFirstIdAfter(final ZonedDateTime timestamp) {
return dsl.select(FOO.ID)
  .from(FOO)
  .where(FOO.CREATED_AT.gt(timestamp))
  .limit(1)
  .fetchOne();
}

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Bulgakov posted:

your all fired

my buddies are all gone, I quit bitch

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Janitor Prime posted:

I wish I had spent more time figuring out how to integrate JOOQ with Spring since we use that for transaction management.

spring boot ships with a jooq transaction manager that uses spring's tx stuff.

so... it was already done for you if you use spring boot. if not, you can just copy the class.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

prisoner of waffles posted:

sorry to miss over you

you are EXTREMELY fired

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

prisoner of waffles posted:

clogging the company toilet after taking such large dumps of code???

fire fired MEGA FIRED

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bulgakov posted:

your all fired

You seem to have fired yourself which is definitely going to break something

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

pointsofdata posted:

You seem to have fired yourself which is definitely going to break something

yes

that was part of the plan :getin:

the commune needs an anarchic shuffle :blastu:

floatman
Mar 17, 2009

gonadic io posted:

Whenever an application breaks, the users can 100% tell that the reason for it breaking is not enough new lines or spaces after commas.
Above all else, formatting is the sure sign of quality code that everyone can feel.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

floatman posted:

Whenever an application breaks, the users can 100% tell that the reason for it breaking is not enough new lines or spaces after commas.
Above all else, formatting is the sure sign of quality code that everyone can feel.

I wonder if this has ever happened about minimised js

users complaining that the company's js that they see in the browser uses bad variable names and no comments or whitespace

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

gonadic io posted:

I wonder if this has ever happened about minimised js

users complaining that the company's js that they see in the browser uses bad variable names and no comments or whitespace

it definitely has. i've seen it. it's probably a gently caress-up on our end, or maybe the minify tool, and it should never happen, but it does.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
cjs: what's the solution for a CTO that works 16-20 hour days but does nothing but work on features/bugs that are all low-medium priority when everyone else is crunching to get high-priority bugs fixed because we were supposed to launch this terrible russian platform months ago.

note: this is a startup dev team of me, a junior dev, and CTO.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Finster Dexter posted:

cjs: what's the solution for a CTO that works 16-20 hour days but does nothing but work on features/bugs that are all low-medium priority when everyone else is crunching to get high-priority bugs fixed because we were supposed to launch this terrible russian platform months ago.

someone might get fired

it's probably not the CTO

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

oh good CTO just slack'd me with some code cleanup tips on this russian garbage, which is about the most turd polishing/pig lipsticking thing I can think of.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Boiled Water posted:

someone might get fired

it's probably not the CTO

(hint: it's the junior dev, who everyone hates because he insists on leaving at a normal time every day)

My goal at this point is to just ride this posh private jet of figgies right into the ground, and my parachute plan is contracting until I find a lovely bank job and slowly sink back into nothingness.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Finster Dexter posted:

(hint: it's the junior dev, who everyone hates because he insists on leaving at a normal time every day)
Protip: also start doing this if you aren't.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Osmosisch posted:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Osmosisch posted:

pros of not leaving on time: nothing

cons: all of the cons

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

pros of not leaving on time: nothing

cons: all of the cons

but you’re not going to get that promotion to the next ICT level if you’re not a team player that delivers impressive results!

the best way to get it is to switch companies

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Osmosisch posted:

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Leave before you even hit 8 hours.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

take the important work, mark it trivial, assign it to cto

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

lmao

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

pointsofdata posted:

there are legit usecases where the app should control the database schema and there are legit usecases where the database schema is its own thing and >1 app uses the same database.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

"how to gently caress with people using the issue tracker" a book I would buy

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
ctps i used to think yaml was an overcomplicated, unpredictable and dangerous file format
but now i'm learning about anchors and merge keys and i'm realizing it is even worse than i thought

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

suffix posted:

ctps i used to think yaml was an overcomplicated, unpredictable and dangerous file format
but now i'm learning about anchors and merge keys and i'm realizing it is even worse than i thought

wao, that's... interesting.
seeing that, my immediate reaction is "if I were using YAML on a team, I think we'd want to strictly limit the use of anchors etc"

e: lomarf at the deserialization vulnerabilities that no doubt were crawling all over the ruby libraries, for a start.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
orms are bad sprocs are worse

bye

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
dbs are bad

not dbs is worse

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

everything is bad

especially me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Finster Dexter posted:

you know the answer

:sever: