Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

GreatGreen posted:

Will any old LAN adapter work or do you need an OFFICIALLY LICENSED BY NINTENDO™® LAN adapter?
It was just the 'Biogenik' brand which I think is the EBGames store brand or affiliated somehow. I can't guarantee that I wouldn't get better speeds with an official adapter (or even a more expensive name brand one) but it seems to work anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Zibidibodel posted:

But you can't transfer the physical stuff you bought to your switch either...

No, but I can sell it and recoup some of the cost. But if I bought Shovel Knight on Wii U and it's also on Switch there is no reason I should have to buy it again.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

homeless snail posted:

A big reason seasons are big (and why ladder was popular in D2) is that every couple of months it brings everyone in multiplayer down to an even playing ground. There are leaderboards associated with the season that get reset also so it can be a competitive thing if you want. The seasonal challenges and exclusive items are a nice incentive also, though.

IMO you might as well make a seasonal character from the start. Its not a separate mode that you can switch between like adventure mode, its a completely different character type and normal and seasonal characters can't interact (just like normal and hardcore ones can't). There's a lot of stuff that carries over between characters in Diablo, and you might get disheartened that you can't use your cool poo poo if you switch to seasonal later.

Thanks for the info!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I never sell games, because if I sell a game I won't have that game anymore. Do you never go back and replay games a few months later? Always go all digital.

Except on Switch. All physical there for some reason. Something about the cases is pleasing to me.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Switch cases are nice + the logo is small so the art is real big

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I do both physical and digital depending on the size of the game, the amount I'll replay it, whether I care about the ability to play it on a different Switch (e.g. take it to a party), and whether it's a "project" game that you focus on for a particular period of time until you've finished it vs. a game that you just fire up randomly on a whim sometimes.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The switch’s cartridge cover feels extremely flimsy, like it’s going to eventually just break off even if you handle it delicately. Like, it feels like it’s designed to continuously bend back and forth, but the material just feels like normal plastic not designed to do that.

Go digital.

Also, you will be able to play your games anytime you want instead of having to fiddle with tiny, easily droppable carts.

However, I also like the philosophy of “physical for single play through, single player games, digital for session games” style, too.

If you’re going to pick one format though, go digital.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 3, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm very glad I bought Xenoblade 2 physically as I was able to trade it in and get OoT3D

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Will any old LAN adapter work or do you need an OFFICIALLY LICENSED BY NINTENDO®™ LAN adapter?

The official adapters use a generic off-the-shelf chipset, so as long as you get an adapter based on the same chipset it will work perfectly with the Switch. Look for something based on the AX88179 chipset if you want to be sure.

The Switch also supports adapters based on the older AX88772 chipset (which was used by the official Wii and Wii U LAN adapters) but that's USB2 so it's not as fast.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The switch USB ports are only USB 2 on the software level. They don't do USB3 speeds even though the ports are able to

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

2 Dark Souls questions.

How does it handle putting the system to sleep? Do I need to play offline to not get booted to the title screen or have they found a more elegant solution?

I heard something about them switching the dodge button. Is this true? This is remappable right?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Is there a physical game trade thread or something like that for Switch games at SA? Or is it jumbled into the SA Mart forums somewhere

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

2 Dark Souls questions.

How does it handle putting the system to sleep? Do I need to play offline to not get booted to the title screen or have they found a more elegant solution?

I heard something about them switching the dodge button. Is this true? This is remappable right?

- Correct. If you're online you'll need to quit/save before putting it to sleep or it'll just boot you and give you the "game didn't close properly last time you could lose poo poo". If you're offline, you can put it to sleep and it'll put the game on standby.

- You can remap everything. It defaults to A.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Is there a physical game trade thread or something like that for Switch games at SA? Or is it jumbled into the SA Mart forums somewhere

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1907653

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
$50 Nintendo Eshop card for $45

https://www.paypal.com/deals?view=details&offerId=QZK9X9R8LE4C6

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Played Yoku's Island Express for a bit today and my goodness, it is charming.

I do wish there was a checklist of all the packages you need to deliver, it's a bit hard to keep them all straight in my head. But's it's really great.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Ineffiable posted:

Re: getting from software to make an exclusive souls game for switch.

Dark souls remastered is entirely a Bandai Namco push. From software basically signed off on it.

We're more likely to see a possible port of ds2 and maybe ds3 before from software will do anything unique.

From software seems to have the closest relationship with Playstation (they get an exclusive vr game) and I firmly believe that one of the next projects after sekiro will be an armored core project, which I see being on ps4 and Xbox one.

Additionally they're not exactly the best coders (anyone who's seen their pc work can attest) so the Switch would be a major challenge to them.

il serpente cosmico posted:

Bayonetta 2 (and now 3) most likely wouldn't have seen the light of day without a big publisher stepping in and giving them money (Bayo 1 sold OK but apparently did not meet Platinum's expectations). The same goes for the Xenoblade series. Xenogears on PS1 did not do well enough for Square to continue the series (there were originally six planned games in that Universe). Xenosaga ended up doing poorly and the six planned games were cut down to 3. No one was banging on Monolith Soft's door asking them to make a game.

Nintendo tends to make these deals when they make financial sense, and the games themselves usually end up being fairly niche. FromSoft's games do very well now, all of their tech is for x86-based platorms, and making a deal with them would cost Nintendo more than they are willing to spend.

That's not to say it's impossible, just that it would go against the grain compared to their other deals.

Again re: FromSoftwareForSwitch, I ask these questions because I like reading insight like this. Thank you.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What're you all planning on doing? I'm leaning digital, but maybe I should just get a bigger card?

My Switch's storage says Smash is 13.6 GB, I'd get it digital if you have enough room.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've got Smash pre-ordered on Amazon for the prime $10 discount, but I'd rather have it digitally - how much does the gold coin work out to?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How is the 8bitdo arcade stick for Switch? The SN30 is great, so I was looking into this one.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Toebone posted:

I've got Smash pre-ordered on Amazon for the prime $10 discount, but I'd rather have it digitally - how much does the gold coin work out to?

About six bucks, three dollars now and another three at launch

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

whats the word on Taiko

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Heath posted:

How is the 8bitdo arcade stick for Switch? The SN30 is great, so I was looking into this one.

It’s pretty good. I’m not sure how it’ll hold up to hardcore use but it feels decently built.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I played Crusader back on Diablo 3 PS4. I liked it. I wanted to try something new... I picked a Monk for Seasonal. He seems ok so far... any words of encouragement or discouragement about keeping him vs picking something else...?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AAB posted:

whats the word on Taiko

Doesn’t it work with the donkey conga bongos? That owns

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Feenix posted:

I played Crusader back on Diablo 3 PS4. I liked it. I wanted to try something new... I picked a Monk for Seasonal. He seems ok so far... any words of encouragement or discouragement about keeping him vs picking something else...?

Every class is viable. If you don’t like the feel then you can easily restart with a new class and get them up to 80 quickly. Season lasts a couple months at minimum so you’re not losing a lot of time. I only tried monk once and it was strong but not exciting to me.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Feenix posted:

I’ve personally never been big on the Monk because I’m not really a fan of the spell effects.

So if you want a recommendation... this random internet guy would recommend a Demon Hunter, Necro, Barbarian, or Wizard. Kinda sorta loosely in that order depending on the day according to me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Download's finally finished, I'm gonna be disappointed if DH is insufficiently :torgue:

(e) I mean yeah they got the dakka but that's only half the story, here

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Toebone posted:

If you go throw PayPal 45 for 50 deal you can save $16ish of you count having some fund left over in your wallet.

Actually you get single coins for physical so Amazon gets you like 13ish.

Still a wash if not better. Go digital if you want and do the PayPal gifts thing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Word kids. Thanks for the replies. I mean, as far as a melee dude goes, he’s got some fireworks, but I just wanted fun and flashy but not necessarily a wizard explosion show.

If I switch, maybe DH or Barb.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

one thing i remember from my time with D3 is that Barbarian absolutely has the loving With Ragdoll Physics game on total lockdown, so if that amuses you, you know what must be done

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Wait is smash really pre loading like a month in advance?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

one thing i remember from my time with D3 is that Barbarian absolutely has the loving With Ragdoll Physics game on total lockdown, so if that amuses you, you know what must be done
Whirlwind barbarian is fun, because you can pretend you're a helicopter

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Wait is smash really pre loading like a month in advance?
As in letting you download 99% of the file to your system in advance?

Yeah. First party games usually let you pre load pretty early.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Crawfish posted:

As in letting you download 99% of the file to your system in advance?

Yeah. First party games usually let you pre load pretty early.

Yeah, the other consoles are like a week or 3 days. Not that it's a huge deal with them auto starting and you have to have pretty bad internet to need 3 days.

Still cool

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

AAB posted:

whats the word on Taiko

REAL FUCKIN' NEATO

I've been playing all day with motion controls, which aren't 100% accurate for the side tap but it's consistent enough that I regularly fill the spirit meter on Normal difficulty. The tougher arrangements are beastly without tactile precision, though, but maybe I just need more practice.

I also need to incorporate some sidestepping into the drumming - it feels like a workout within two songs!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Played a game of Jeopardy with the wife. It's good, if you enjoy watching the game show and want to play yourself it's worth $20 IMHO.

Trebeck is nowhere to be found though so that might be a deal breaker.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Has anyone bought this yet? If so, did you get the code immediately? I'm used to these codes appearing immediately but it's been nearly an hour and my code hasn't appeared yet. (Paypal said it's within 3 hours but no longer than 24 hours, but I wanted to see if it was just me.)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Casull posted:

Has anyone bought this yet? If so, did you get the code immediately? I'm used to these codes appearing immediately but it's been nearly an hour and my code hasn't appeared yet. (Paypal said it's within 3 hours but no longer than 24 hours, but I wanted to see if it was just me.)

I just bought 2. (One at a time) codes in 10ish minutes.

Check spam folder?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Split Joy-Cons let you sprawl out in bed/on the couch in weird positions.

It's good, still, for some games it feels unnatural. Really good in Breath of the Wild and Odyssey. Terrible for Rocket League

But the Pro generally always feels solid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
My controller is drifting :(

I couldn't fix it by recalibrating. Is there anything else I can do?