Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Iron Crowned posted:

Saved by the Bell was a show for kids. I don't think it can possibly get the movie treatment with how truely rooted in the 90's it is. I'm not in middle/high school, nor know anyone who is, but I imagine it's a hell of a lot different these days.

I don't know. Comic book movies are starting to dip into 90's stuff now. Plus Baywatch and 21 Jump Street already got movies so what constitutes "nostalgia" is moving into that decade now.

Meaning we're getting old, yo.

A Breakfast Club re-make could even be interesting, set in 2001 or something, but this thread is not about movies so...

I'd like to see a Six Million Dollar man comedy where the joke is that six millions dollars is chump change now and none of his upgrades work worth a poo poo but he's still a secret government agent with old, lovely parts. Seems like a Ben Stiller or Wil Farrell thing could work. Six Million Dollar man actually holds up pretty well and is great fun, sort of like Incredible Hulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd like to see a Six Million Dollar man comedy where the joke is that six millions dollars is chump change now and none of his upgrades work worth a poo poo but he's still a secret government agent with old, lovely parts. Seems like a Ben Stiller or Wil Farrell thing could work. Six Million Dollar man actually holds up pretty well and is great fun, sort of like Incredible Hulk.

There was an SNL routine like that called the six million peso man. About a cyborg Mexican migrant worker. I also had a friend just win a 48 hour film festival about the literal six million dollar inflation scenario.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Angel's last season was so much fun that I retroactively consider it a good spin off.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hughlander posted:

There was an SNL routine like that called the six million peso man. About a cyborg Mexican migrant worker. I also had a friend just win a 48 hour film festival about the literal six million dollar inflation scenario.

Yikes. that first thing sounds incredibly racist.

Is your friend's movie up on Youtube or anywhere?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think the trick is that a successful spinoff ends up generally being considered its own thing rather than a spinoff.

Frasier might be an exception because it never really shied away from its origins, but it was very much a self-sustaining thing

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Does The Simpsons count as a spinoff? Because I'd say they were the most successful if so.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hughlander posted:

I'm doing a 48 hour film project tonight! Congrats to your friend.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

oldpainless posted:

Best spinoff: saved by the bell

Worst spinoff: saved by the bell the college years

Oh God yes. The College Years was an attempt to make a regular primetime sitcom, and it was awful. As bad as Saved By the Bell was (and I still love it myself), it was obviously a cheesy Saturday-morning show that was aimed at pre-teens and young teens with easily recognizable characters and stories that ended on an upbeat note. Having said that, after watching it as an adult a few years ago, it's amazing how the show was obviously written by writers in their 50's given that some of the jokes would not make sense to anyone under the age of 18.

Also, to this day, it still blows my mind that The New Class was on longer than the original.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Every David E Kelly show joined to The Practice and Ally McBeal was good even if unsuccessful by some measures.

On a completely different level: Digimon aged the first group of kids and added younger kids in the second season, then took the amazing step of having the third season kids be ostensibly from "our world" since they watched those other seasons on TV and played Digimon games, same as we might have. It was a clever twist and they pulled it off.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

Every David E Kelly show joined to The Practice and Ally McBeal was good even if unsuccessful by some measures.

On a completely different level: Digimon aged the first group of kids and added younger kids in the second season, then took the amazing step of having the third season kids be ostensibly from "our world" since they watched those other seasons on TV and played Digimon games, same as we might have. It was a clever twist and they pulled it off.

:lol: you watched Digimon

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Venom is popular because it's hitting some weird national feeling about being so lonely that goo that becomes your pants sounds really captivating

Lmao

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Saved by the Bell was basically "what if the 1980's and high school didn't have to end?" the TV show. It started in 1989 sure but it lasted to the mid 90's and just kind of pretended the 90's weren't happening.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
And yeah for the dude who mentioned Xena it took the only interesting character from the incredibly bland Hercules show (seriously try to remember anything from that except that Kevin Sorbo was in it) and made it more ridiculous and campy but a little darker and with like a subtle lesbian love triangle thing going on. Xena was fun and stupid as hell, even when she killed Gabriel in a musical episode for no reason and when Caeser murdered her and she woke up as a business woman in 1998 New York

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Iron Crowned posted:

Digimon was the poo poo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Aesop Poprock posted:

And yeah for the dude who mentioned Xena it took the only interesting character from the incredibly bland Hercules show (seriously try to remember anything from that except that Kevin Sorbo was in it) and made it more ridiculous and campy but a little darker and with like a subtle lesbian love triangle thing going on. Xena was fun and stupid as hell, even when she killed Gabriel in a musical episode for no reason and when Caeser murdered her and she woke up as a business woman in 1998 New York

Hey, Ted Raimi and Bruce Campbell were in Hercules (although much more memorable in Xena)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Saved By the Bell is the gift that keeps on giving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaS2ULUZWvg

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

Samoneous and Aeolus? Well the first one was a goofy old dude who could be funny and the other was a complete loving tool.

That being said, yes Xena was a better show than Hercules by like, a lot.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

fruit BOO!ts posted:

Digimon was the poo poo

I don't know if it was the timings in the UK but everyone my age loved Pokemon and just totally disregarded Digimon. I couldn't even say its poo poo because i knows nothing about it

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Krispy Wafer posted:

Saved by the Bell was just so easily digestible. You had good looking unoffensive people doing stuff in easy-to-watch 30 minute increments and nothing taxed your brain or made you sad. But it was also so forgettable that no one misses it.

The Saved by the Bell for late-gen X and early gen-Y was The Suite Life with Zack and Cody.

Am I dramatically misremembering when these shows were on? Saved By The Bell was Gen X and early Gen Y. I'm the tail end of Gen X and my kid watched Suite Life (and On Deck).

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Pokemon and Digimon are just so different despite being in the Kids inexplicably on their own fighting with monsters genre
See also: medabots

Iron Crowned posted:

you seem fun and cool and probably have a big dick or small vagina

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

you seem fun and cool and probably have a big dick or small vagina

:hai:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Besesoth posted:

Am I dramatically misremembering when these shows were on? Saved By The Bell was Gen X and early Gen Y. I'm the tail end of Gen X and my kid watched Suite Life (and On Deck).

I phrased it real bad. I meant Saved by the Bell was Gen X and Suite Life was the Lizard People and Gen-Y equivalent.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lots of shows are spin-offs that you don't even realise are spin-offs.

For example, Diagnosis: Murder was a spin-off from Jake and the Fatman was a sort of spin-off from Matlock (William Conrad plays the same character with a different name).

For my own amusement, I like to imagine that in the Shared Television Show Universe, Ben Matlock began his legal career as Perry Mason's clerk. :v:

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Nov 2, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jesus Christ I forgot that Cheers had a spinoff called "The Tortellis", lol. It was a as lovely as it sounds. When you take these characters out of their element and force them into holding up a whole show it just doesn't work.

"Spin Off Syndrome" happens when you take a supporting character who's best used in small doses and try to build an entire show based on one quirky character trait or a stupid catch phrase. Like, if Seinfeld existed int the 70's, they'd have tried to make "Here's Kramer" or "The Costanzas" into a sitcom.

Actually, I might watch "The Costanzas". Does Jason Alexander need work?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

BiggerBoat posted:

Jesus Christ I forgot that Cheers had a spinoff called "The Tortellis", lol. It was a as lovely as it sounds. When you take these characters out of their element and force them into holding up a whole show it just doesn't work.

"Spin Off Syndrome" happens when you take a supporting character who's best used in small doses and try to build an entire show based on one quirky character trait or a stupid catch phrase. Like, if Seinfeld existed int the 70's, they'd have tried to make "Here's Kramer" or "The Costanzas" into a sitcom.

The Costanzas could have worked since even George would be a straight man compared to his parents.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Curb Your Enthusiasm was pretty good, yeah.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Matt LeBlanc played Kelly's boyfriend in a couple of eps of Married with Children, and Fox gave him not one, but two, spin offs. Top of the Heap and Vinnie and Bobby.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BOOSness Hammocks posted:

Curb Your Enthusiasm was pretty good, yeah.

touche

I was thinking more about one dimensional "catch phrase" characters that for some reason seemed really ubiquitous in the 70's. Maybe not though. Could just be that's when I watched the most television but I remember them taking Flo from "Alice", which was a decent show, and Florence from "The Jeffersons" (also a decent show) and trying to make shows around them. "Different Strokes" spun off "Facts of Life" and I think Shirley from "What's Happening" got a show too so maybe it just helped to be a maid or a waitress back then.

Or named Florence for that matter.

But, like, I could totally picture a 70's how of "The Costanzas" that would have been called "George is Gettin' UPSET!" Surprised there were never any "Welcome Back Kotter" spinoffs since that whole show was catch phrases.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

BiggerBoat posted:

touche

I was thinking more about one dimensional "catch phrase" characters that for some reason seemed really ubiquitous in the 70's. Maybe not though. Could just be that's when I watched the most television but I remember them taking Flo from "Alice", which was a decent show, and Florence from "The Jeffersons" (also a decent show) and trying to make shows around them. "Different Strokes" spun off "Facts of Life" and I think Shirley from "What's Happening" got a show too so maybe it just helped to be a maid or a waitress back then.

Or named Florence for that matter.

But, like, I could totally picture a 70's how of "The Costanzas" that would have been called "George is Gettin' UPSET!" Surprised there were never any "Welcome Back Kotter" spinoffs since that whole show was catch phrases.

Mr T and Tina kinda

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
An odd one: Knots Landing spun out of Dallas relatively early on in the latter's run, and when Bobby Ewing was killed off, his siblings who were the main characters in Knots Landing reacted to the news and mourned for him. Then, of course, Bobby's death and indeed the events of the entire preceding season were retconned as being all just a dream. But this wasn't acknowledged in Knots Landing, which ended up effectively branching off into an unintentional alternate universe version of Dallas where Bobby Ewing was always dead.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Davros1 posted:

Matt LeBlanc played Kelly's boyfriend in a couple of eps of Married with Children, and Fox gave him not one, but two, spin offs. Top of the Heap and Vinnie and Bobby.

MWC tried to spinoff a couple more shows. A show about the radio station at the college Bud was attending that would have starred Steve Rhoades and another featuring Kelly and her friends.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's weird when the spinoff doesn't happen. Like on House where they had an arc with a new PI character who was supposed to get his own show and then it didn't happen.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I always expected a House spin-off about Cuddy dealing with the - what I expected to be - incredibly large amount of legal trouble that hospital must go through but it never came to life. She got one episode centered on her and everything.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Hughlander posted:

It was Robot Chicken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co-wNI9wn6w

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

It's weird when the spinoff doesn't happen. Like on House where they had an arc with a new PI character who was supposed to get his own show and then it didn't happen.

Same thing happened with Agents of Shield, except worse because two great characters left the show to be a spinoff then it didn't happen so they were just gone

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

muscles like this! posted:

:tvtropes: has a huge list of these. They're weirdly common.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Besesoth posted:

:tvtropes: has a huge list of these. They're weirdly common.

Did they quarantine off the anime from the actual tv shows? I might start reading it every once in a while again. Although it's weird that a site dedicated to obsessively cataloging tv shows isn't using the existing industry jargon backdoor pilot.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

rodbeard posted:

Did they quarantine off the anime from the actual tv shows? I might start reading it every once in a while again. Although it's weird that a site dedicated to obsessively cataloging tv shows isn't using the existing industry jargon backdoor pilot.

It's all in collapsible "folders" now, so you can hide the anime/manga and ignore it completely if you want to. And if a section gets long enough, they split it out into its own page.

And yeah, TVT has some really weird conventions that boil down to "the person who originally named this didn't know what it was called".

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's been an undercurrent in America for a while. There was a lot of subtle digs on how America is right now in the show. Daria's parents are very successful but endlessly stressed as they buried themselves in debt to look successful. So much of that show revolved around keeping up appearances while Daria was one of the few people who saw through the whole facade. Everything was a lie and Daria just cynically refused to participate. Even though she said stuff that amounted to "this is all really loving stupid" right to peoples' faces they ignored it as they were too busy obsessing over how they and everybody else looked on the surface.

That whole show was a genius critique of America.

Sorry to bump this a couple weeks later but I like Daria, so here we are.

One thing that kind of stands out is while Daria will happily tell people to their face how stupid they're being, almost nobody reacts to her or treats her with anything more than occasional light antagonism. She doesn't actually have any enemies, even though routinely telling people they suck will eventually result in people wanting a piece of you (ask me how I know).

But that's also an interesting aspect of the character. She rebels against her peers and society, when they aren't compelling her to do anything and don't really give a poo poo what she does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Besesoth posted:

It's all in collapsible "folders" now, so you can hide the anime/manga and ignore it completely if you want to. And if a section gets long enough, they split it out into its own page.

And yeah, TVT has some really weird conventions that boil down to "the person who originally named this didn't know what it was called".

The trope for when conventional armies take a crack at some kind of Godzilla monster without any effect is still called “five rounds rapid” after a line from a doctor who episode thirtysomething years ago that like eight people saw. They’re weird like that. Good for when I want a rundown of something that interests me enough to want spoilers but not enough to actually watch, though.