Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

It's not even that old. The jewelry companies just spent a lot of money convincing people things where always this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

rodbeard posted:

It's not even that old. The jewelry companies just spent a lot of money convincing people things where always this way.

Yup. A diamond company wanted to sell more diamonds and make more money so they reached as far up their own asses as they could and yanked out "you demonstrate your love by spending at least a month's salary on an engagement ring. Oh by the way it has to be a diamond and we just happen to have a lot of really nice ones!"

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yup. A diamond company wanted to sell more diamonds and make more money so they reached as far up their own asses as they could and yanked out "you demonstrate your love by spending at least three month's salary on an engagement ring. Oh by the way it has to be a diamond and we just happen to have a lot of really nice ones!"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yup. A diamond company wanted to sell more diamonds and make more money so they reached as far up their own asses as they could and yanked out "you demonstrate your love by spending at least a month's salary on an engagement ring. Oh by the way it has to be a diamond and we just happen to have a lot of really nice ones!"

Interesting read on the ad campaign.
https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/diamond-de-beers-marketing-campaign
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/02/how-an-ad-campaign-invented-the-diamond-engagement-ring/385376/

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So is no one going to address how this gently caress skeleton has the shoulders of a linebacker?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You stopped too soon. You didn't get to the part where they realized they could label and mark up poo poo diamonds that used to be sold cheaply for industrial purposes as "chocolate diamonds", because every woman is obligated to lose her mind at the mere mention of chocolate.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

My fiance and I agreed to get a moissanite ring and even picked it out together, saying "if we ever get engaged we'll buy this one."
I thought she was joking when she kept talking about how much she loved the diamond, but she kept telling people that it's a real diamond. At this point, I don't know if I should tell her that it's the exact same not-diamond ring that we agreed on getting

I get to be part of the AUG, yay!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A late friend of mine bought his wife a TV as an engagement gift.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

A late friend of mine bought his wife a TV as an engagement gift.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Knormal posted:

So is no one going to address how this gently caress skeleton has the shoulders of a linebacker?
:golfclap:

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Wow, look at this guy, not buying an OLED 4K UHD 3D SUV 8FT TV for his fiancée. You clearly don't love her at all. :sever:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Everything about the wedding industry is a loving ripoff. Few grand for a dress your wear once, any venue/catering service/etc immediately doubles its price when it finds out it's for a wedding, a lovely fruit cake with literally the worst kind of icing (fondant) simply because it can be made to look pretty, etc etc.

If my partner and I ever get married we're just going to sign some documents at the town hall and then have a big BYO party somewhere because getting together all your friends and family for a celebration is the only worthwhile part of the process.

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013
Sort of thought it was an idea of Dutch, since making money from something so tacky is basically my experience of Netherlands. :colbert:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

snergle posted:

That poor bird. desperatly needs a vet. beak and feather disease is caused by being a dirty pos.

I was thinking the bird is stressed from being forcibly grabbed out of its cage and bullied into saying the n-word on nazi livestreams

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The more posts I read, the gladder I am that I didn't click those links. :yikes:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

AlbieQuirky posted:

For anybody who cares why I don't like it: three-stone rings aren't a traditional choice for engagement rings in the US (they're marketed as "past/present/future" anniversary rings here)

rube

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

so what I'm getting from this is that second from the right has the biggest dick of anyone here

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I hd my fiancee pick out the stone, band type, and metal she wanted used for an engagement ring.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/CircuitMlp/status/994695406385881088

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

bike tory posted:

Everything about the wedding industry is a loving ripoff. Few grand for a dress your wear once, any venue/catering service/etc immediately doubles its price when it finds out it's for a wedding, a lovely fruit cake with literally the worst kind of icing (fondant) simply because it can be made to look pretty, etc etc.

If my partner and I ever get married we're just going to sign some documents at the town hall and then have a big BYO party somewhere because getting together all your friends and family for a celebration is the only worthwhile part of the process.

Used dress stores are also a thing because what do you do with a wedding dress? Get a 2000-3000 for a few hundred if this your thing.

My wedding was $700 for food and a bottle of chapmapge per table, a dres, cakes, marriage and officiater liecence, everything.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

pseudorandom posted:

Wow, look at this guy, not buying an OLED 4K UHD 3D SUV 8FT TV for his fiancée. You clearly don't love her at all. :sever:

hey i got her a ring what more do you want

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Mr Hootington posted:

I hd my fiancee pick out the stone, band type, and metal she wanted used for an engagement ring.

I proposed to my wife at the end of Sims Park Pier in Euclid, OH, Spring of '85 after spitting a bottle of wine. I said, "So do you want to get married?", and she said "Hell yeah". That was 31 years ago. Anyway she picked out her engagement ring, and it was only 1/4 caret because anything larger looked "fake" in her mind. I dunno, I think it was a good plan.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

I worked in a jewelry store for 6 years and trust me, some women out there will straight up dump you in the store if they get a diamond or set of diamonds under a carat. I've seen it happen. Marketing has gone to these people's heads like you wouldn't believe. If you get less than a carat it means you don't love them. It's insane.

I've seen numerous breakups and screaming fights over the stupidest poo poo like colour of gold, cancelling a hold in another store without permission, picking the wrong size even though that can be adjusted later because it means she's fat and you want her to be skinnier, non-matching rings, you name it.

I was so glad when I left. People shopping for jewelry are loving mental.

My friend was engaged to a woman who set a minimum price on her engagement ring, it had to be at least like $500 more than the one her sister got.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I proposed to my wife at the end of Sims Park Pier in Euclid, OH, Spring of '85 after spitting a bottle of wine. I said, "So do you want to get married?", and she said "Hell yeah". That was 31 years ago. Anyway she picked out her engagement ring, and it was only 1/4 caret because anything larger looked "fake" in her mind. I dunno, I think it was a good plan.

It was. Congrats on 31 years.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Lakedaimon posted:

My friend was engaged to a woman who set a minimum price on her engagement ring, it had to be at least like $500 more than the one her sister got.

I hope his response was to not marry her

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Lakedaimon posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha! Then your friend was like "Hmm, maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all." :mrwhite:

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju7pdJHQJiQ

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I am, as a goon, honor bound to marry anyone who proposes with the goatse ring. Not a duplicate. The original.

And you know exactly how I want you to propose.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Looks like I gotta start doing my stretches :heysexy:

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

bike tory posted:

British wedding cake loving blows. It was a pretty rude awakening for me after being used to American/Canadian cakes which are (usually) edible. Also the using children to be bridesmaids what the gently caress is that about.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Wait, are British wedding cakes actually fruitcakes, the dubious 'treat' of western holiday folklore?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Lakedaimon posted:

My dad's bitch of a new wife had never had a real job in her life, lived with her rich parents who were paying for her to just take 1 class a semester endlessly to pretend she was getting a degree and working toward some kind of career. 100% gold digger. I was 11 or 12 when I distinctly remember a demand being made over a board game night. Her ring had to be a minimum of 2 carats.

I think the final ring had a custom band, a 2.5 carat stone and another half carat of tiny ones worked into the band design or something. Fast forward to a wedding involving a chartered helicopter landing at the reception to take them to JFK where it landed right at the gate to their flight to Tahiti to stay at Hotel Bora Bora for 3 weeks (this was pre-9/11 and my dad's an air traffic controller.....he loves telling the story of boarding the flight and the rest of the passengers being in awe, it's his favorite story about how important he thinks he is).

Even young me knew this was all a giant red flag. I can't even begin to estimate how much he spent on all of this.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
You can have a big fun wedding that is cost effective for what you get, but it just takes work, and what I noticed is that people are either too lazy to bother so they just scale everything back, or they are too inflexible and spend way too much for what they get.

My wife found a wedding dress for $300 in a mall store and it looked amazing. She saw a beautiful, 7 tier cake online that originally cost $4,000 and got a little Mexican bakery in San Jose to make a copy of it for a tenth the price. We had catering for 250 people, but it only cost 9 bucks a plate which was a fraction what most caterers cost.

So we got to have a fancy big wedding at a fraction of what most people pay. But it was because we were both determined and flexible enough to make it happen, and many other couples aren't either of those.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

He's a dumbass pos for a surprise public proposal, but I thought it was sweet when another dude gave him a supportive hug after being rejected. :unsmith:

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Dienes posted:

He's a dumbass pos for a surprise public proposal, but I thought it was sweet when another dude gave him a supportive hug after being rejected. :unsmith:

dudehugs should be encouraged :3:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Don't forget champagne diamonds, if you ever wanted to wear something on your finger that looks like the color of warm piss.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

queserasera posted:

Don't forget champagne diamonds, if you ever wanted to wear something on your finger that looks like the color of warm piss.

I just pee on my fingers. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Panfilo posted:

You can have a big fun wedding that is cost effective for what you get, but it just takes work, and what I noticed is that people are either too lazy to bother so they just scale everything back, or they are too inflexible and spend way too much for what they get.

My wife found a wedding dress for $300 in a mall store and it looked amazing. She saw a beautiful, 7 tier cake online that originally cost $4,000 and got a little Mexican bakery in San Jose to make a copy of it for a tenth the price. We had catering for 250 people, but it only cost 9 bucks a plate which was a fraction what most caterers cost.

So we got to have a fancy big wedding at a fraction of what most people pay. But it was because we were both determined and flexible enough to make it happen, and many other couples aren't either of those.

Congratulations on your cheap relationship