Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I wish there was a clock in endless puyo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

where can I play Puyo on the PC? lol

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Pumprag posted:

PPT is on steam now and there's also the fanmade PuyoVS.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Pumprag posted:

Puyo puyo vs2 is free open source

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
its definitely not open source but it is free

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I got matched with a guy in the overall top 10. I guess the online population might be a little sparse at 3 in the morning Tokyo time?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
On PPT ranked I would get frustrated and quit after an hour of facing nothing but Tetris players. The other day started PPe ranked at 11pm, took a bathroom break and realized it’s was 4am.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

gohmak posted:

On PPT ranked I would get frustrated and quit after an hour of facing nothing but Tetris players. The other day started PPe ranked at 11pm, took a bathroom break and realized it’s was 4am.

I play Puyo and Tetris about equally well (poorly) so I always counterpick to get the mirror match. PvT is just not the same game at all.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Inching back to 2000 rating

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lol, it's ego crushing to go from 10000 in ppt to struggling for 1900.

I wonder if this will be at evo.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I think the easier way to think about the rating system is like if PPT started new accounts off at 15000 rating

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

P-Mack posted:

Lol, it's ego crushing to go from 10000 in ppt to struggling for 1900.

I wonder if this will be at evo.

It will be a side tournament. Like this years.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

gohmak posted:

It will be a side tournament. Like this years.

Dropping PPT or running both?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

P-Mack posted:

Dropping PPT or running both?

I’m sure it will be PPT for Tetris and Swap, PPe for Tsu and Fever. Personally I wouldn’t mind if they dropped Swap for Fever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played fever for the first time last night and it's really fun even if I have no idea when to push for fever and how best to stall/defend etc. But it seems like a totally different approach to Puyo, and it makes it especially weird that there's no separate ranked queue for tsu/fever

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I'm pretty sure swap will return next year, it's a popular mode with a bunch of interesting unique strats. Tsuu and Fever have a lot of overlap so it's less weird that they have shared matchmaking and rating.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

I'm pretty sure swap will return next year, it's a popular mode with a bunch of interesting unique strats. Tsuu and Fever have a lot of overlap so it's less weird that they have shared matchmaking and rating.

In PPT you don't decide whether you're playing puyo or tetris until after you match. There's no choices in esports so it wouldn't have impacted anything to separate ratings. But yeah it doesn't really matter Puyo is still Puyo even it will take a little adjustment at first.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
watching a bot play tetris
https://www.twitch.tv/zetris_ppt

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Ended my ranked session at 2008. loving finally. I turned the volume way down to force myself to read the other board and went on a tear. I beat a 2400 twice by timing my harrassments better.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

gohmak posted:

Ended my ranked session at 2008. loving finally. I turned the volume way down to force myself to read the other board and went on a tear. I beat a 2400 twice by timing my harrassments better.

Yes, that's what I do. Carefully time my harassments. My chain certainly doesn't cut at three and snipe them completely by accident.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

In Training posted:

I played fever for the first time last night and it's really fun even if I have no idea when to push for fever and how best to stall/defend etc. But it seems like a totally different approach to Puyo, and it makes it especially weird that there's no separate ranked queue for tsu/fever

This post loosened up memories of when I cut my teeth on competitive PPF back in the mid-aughts using a pirated version of the Japanese PC release so I'm gonna try to recall what I learned back then

The best way to learn, as usual, is to play against people way, way better than you. You have to get used to building FAST in the opening seconds, and to get a general idea of what their board looks like just before they trigger fever so you know whether to build up a little more buffer for when your fever ends. Building a chain of more than 5-6 is basically a waste of your time and space in this mode, having the flexibility to choose from a single pop and a 2-3 chain is way way more important so you can control exactly when you enter fever mode. You don't typically win on sheer combo ability, you win on timing; almost always becomes a matter of who gets the last fever chain to trigger when both people are in fever mode. Keep an eye on your opponent's fever timer and aim to trigger your fever just when it drops below your stocked time. It also really helps if you learn how recognize when you can quickly build on top or full-combo the fever "loadouts," because the next one provided will always be 1 step bigger than whatever you build it to. Like you said, It's a whole different game

Fun strat: if you see someone blindly trying to build a gently caress-you size chain at the beginning, just harass hard with 1 or 2 chains on one half of your board while building a buffer of ready-to-go puyo groups on the other side. It'll likely make them trigger fever earlier than they want to as they clear your stones, and then you'll be able to crush them with your time-advantaged fever if you time your own trigger well

All that said, I don't yet know if they changed the rules significantly for PPe so please take this with a grain of salt

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Not a Children posted:

This post loosened up memories of when I cut my teeth on competitive PPF back in the mid-aughts using a pirated version of the Japanese PC release so I'm gonna try to recall what I learned back then

The best way to learn, as usual, is to play against people way, way better than you. You have to get used to building FAST in the opening seconds, and to get a general idea of what their board looks like just before they trigger fever so you know whether to build up a little more buffer for when your fever ends. Building a chain of more than 5-6 is basically a waste of your time and space in this mode, having the flexibility to choose from a single pop and a 2-3 chain is way way more important so you can control exactly when you enter fever mode. You don't typically win on sheer combo ability, you win on timing; almost always becomes a matter of who gets the last fever chain to trigger when both people are in fever mode. Keep an eye on your opponent's fever timer and aim to trigger your fever just when it drops below your stocked time. It also really helps if you learn how recognize when you can quickly build on top or full-combo the fever "loadouts," because the next one provided will always be 1 step bigger than whatever you build it to. Like you said, It's a whole different game

Fun strat: if you see someone blindly trying to build a gently caress-you size chain at the beginning, just harass hard with 1 or 2 chains on one half of your board while building a buffer of ready-to-go puyo groups on the other side. It'll likely make them trigger fever earlier than they want to as they clear your stones, and then you'll be able to crush them with your time-advantaged fever if you time your own trigger well

All that said, I don't yet know if they changed the rules significantly for PPe so please take this with a grain of salt

Thanks! We new players have been sort of fumbling around together towards these concepts but that lays it all out very clearly.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Some other Fever-specific strats

In addition to different dropsets, character choice also matters in Fever in that they have modified chaining power both in and out of Fever. Across the board (IIRC) all characters have much weaker chain power in Fever mode. So one strat is to try to trap the other player in Fever mode under enough garbage that they can't realistically counter within 15 seconds while you set yourself up to dump a hot load of garbage on them as soon as they switch back.

Similarly, you can try to meaty them entering Fever mode and immediately threaten them with garbage. Any garbage they had incoming gets pushed to the second tray but any new garbage will fall like normal. It's RNG whether or not they can immediately set off their chain with the first piece they get, so you can completely shut down their Fever with good timing.

Carbuncle is a bully type of character, he gets the most pieces out of any character and has three big puyos in the dropset, making it really easy to stall into Fever mode.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

Some other Fever-specific strats

In addition to different dropsets, character choice also matters in Fever in that they have modified chaining power both in and out of Fever. Across the board (IIRC) all characters have much weaker chain power in Fever mode. So one strat is to try to trap the other player in Fever mode under enough garbage that they can't realistically counter within 15 seconds while you set yourself up to dump a hot load of garbage on them as soon as they switch back.

Similarly, you can try to meaty them entering Fever mode and immediately threaten them with garbage. Any garbage they had incoming gets pushed to the second tray but any new garbage will fall like normal. It's RNG whether or not they can immediately set off their chain with the first piece they get, so you can completely shut down their Fever with good timing.

Carbuncle is a bully type of character, he gets the most pieces out of any character and has three big puyos in the dropset, making it really easy to stall into Fever mode.

The nicest guy you'll ever meet

Twisted loving psychopath

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://www.s2lsoftener.com

Very good menu translations and game guide
https://www.s2lsoftener.com/esports/translation/menus.html#title-screen
https://www.s2lsoftener.com/drills/

gohmak fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 3, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

P-Mack posted:

The nicest guy you'll ever meet

Twisted loving psychopath
Every Puyo character is capable of great evil, except Suketoudara.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
What’s the deal with Tetris making players remove content?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
arika (the company that makes TGM and more recently FEXL) is really anal about "unauthorized" Tetris games, they once notably said something along the lines of "we won't release TGM4 until you delete all TGM clones from the internet".

If you ever played that TGM clone that came with like every DS flashcart and wondered why it never got further updates that's why

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
almost up to 2200. Need to get faster and cleaner.

VWVWV
Jan 19, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Every Puyo character is capable of great evil, except Suketoudara.

I'm personally offended by these accusations against my good pal Skeleton T.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
this is the last week to get esports on sale

Unless Puyo Champions ends up being the English version of Esports and that also gets a first month discount

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
does anyone else play puyo quest or am i in gacha game hell

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Chibs posted:

does anyone else play puyo quest or am i in gacha game hell

Isn't it Japan only?

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

You can download it via QooApp or DMM Player on PC (also Japanese only), there's no regional lockout. You can also just download the apk off SegaRetro(the version up now is out of date) (the game is FTP so it's fine to rehost).

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Chibs posted:

You can download it via QooApp or DMM Player on PC (also Japanese only), there's no regional lockout. You can also just download the apk off SegaRetro(the version up now is out of date) (the game is FTP so it's fine to rehost).

Ooh, now we an play the Persona 5 Puyo Puyo crossover
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtNACh4U4AAEpQZ.jpg:large

Sig with a Sig.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 1, 2018

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's cool how different classic Tetris is from modern poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_UPHsGR6fM

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://clips.twitch.tv/ImportantKitschyDonkeyRickroll

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

American McGay posted:

It's cool how different classic Tetris is from modern poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_UPHsGR6fM

Wow that's way more fun to watch than I expected considering there's no interaction or anything

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Puyo hype!

I tried to download puyo quest but I couldn't get it to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

christ i wish i was any good at puyo

i should start playing PPT again and actually practice

also what happened, i know it hates rooted devices if that's it