Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Word of advice? Trust no one and be cynical until the person proves otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How about "give control of your finances to a responsible adult, because drat"

I'm willing to be that responsible adult for a fee, you can trust me because I'm rich.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
A round of golf applause for the man who comes out and proves himself an idiot for all the Internet to see, in order to educate and warn the masses about what a common scam looks like.

:golfclap:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Midjack posted:

Posted in the BWM thread but belongs here too.

[quote]

It's like appearing to be rich and lying a bunch can get you anywhere in this crazy world.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

A round of golf applause for the man who comes out and proves himself an idiot for all the Internet to see, in order to educate and warn the masses about what a common scam looks like.

:golfclap:

Yeah I actually kind of admire the guy for being willing to swallow his ego and tell the whole world how stupid he was.

Unfortunately very few of the kinds of people stupid enough to fall for a classic scam will ever read it, but hey. Even one sucker educated makes it all worthwhile.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Bet that escalade was a lease, too.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Midjack posted:

Posted in the BWM thread but belongs here too.

Ouch. He spent $1400 on a life lesson, but I couldn't believe he kept falling for it even after seeing the car and everyone/everything in it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Panfilo posted:

Bet that escalade was a lease, too.

Not sure about an Escalade specifically but you can rent a luxury SUV for $200-$300 a day depending where you are. Scoring over $1000 from just one mark covers the vehicle plus whatever you're paying the woman and two kids to participate (if they're not actually his own wife and kids) with a few hundo to spare. Pretty profitable scam if you're motivated enough to keep moving around every few days.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Hopefully he got some street smarts from this interaction because he comes off as a shut in computer nerd who apparently avoided the cynical part of the internet as well.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I work for a pharmacy chain and a popular one recently has been a scammer buying a $500 gift card at the register and acting like they’re paying with a card. Then they confuse or distract the cashier and reach around the register touch screen and hit the cash button, closing out the transaction and activating the card then walking out.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Space Jam posted:

I work for a pharmacy chain and a popular one recently has been a scammer buying a $500 gift card at the register and acting like they’re paying with a card. Then they confuse or distract the cashier and reach around the register touch screen and hit the cash button, closing out the transaction and activating the card then walking out.

Can't they then just cancel the card? If the card company doesn't have that ability then that is a major gently caress up on their part. Pretty much all gift cards are logged by a unique code.

Granted if they went and used it before the non payment was actually found then that may be a moot point.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

The thing about cons is anyone can fall for them. Everyone has things they want, we all have the same cognitive deficiencies and some people are good at exploiting the interpersonal space between us. They all look obvious to those who didn't get conned, after the fact. You can't really convey in words how someone was charismatic and you just seemed to believe what they said for some reason.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Bad Titty Puker posted:

The funniest anti-scam pranks I've heard were done by "Hoax Hotel".

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask Hell > Tell me about common cons/scams: shut the gently caress up and just go to wal-mart

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I just got a text from Wells-Fargo telling me my debit card has been locked.

I have never set foot in a Wells Fargo in my life. I assume they're just robo-texting hoping they'll catch some sucker.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have never set foot in a Wells Fargo in my life. I assume they're just robo-texting hoping they'll catch some sucker.

Yep, the second you respond to them with anything, they've got your number pegged as a live one and you're going to get more spam. And anything offered in the text is almost guaranteed to be a scam.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mister Kingdom posted:

I get random phone calls about there being a problem with my credit card and OH MY GOD THINGS ARE ON FIRE AND PEOPLE ARE DYING YOU HAVE TO CALL US RIGHT NOW IT'S SO URGENT gently caress THE DOG JUST EXPLODED OH GOD

I have never had a credit card. Ever. None. As in zero. There have been zero credit cards in my name, ever.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I get calls about cards I don't have too. God, technology can be really useful and helpful but gently caress if scammers and advertising don't just loving ruin everything somehow.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I get random phone calls about there being a problem with my credit card and OH MY GOD THINGS ARE ON FIRE AND PEOPLE ARE DYING YOU HAVE TO CALL US RIGHT NOW IT'S SO URGENT gently caress THE DOG JUST EXPLODED OH GOD

I have never had a credit card. Ever. None. As in zero. There have been zero credit cards in my name, ever.

But what about your dog? Poor Scruffy, thought of credit fraud and exploded.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is from a friends fb post recently:

"So I kept getting phone calls from a “Washington DC” number eventually leaving voicemails about tax fraud on my family. I decided to call them just to be funny, because I know it’s a scam. They said I owed a ridiculous amount of 5,000 lmao, so I pretended to be worried and was like I will pay for it all right now with my credit card, the guy continues to say we don’t take credit card, so I said” alright that’s weird, but okay i will pay debit straight out of my checking right now, you ready.” He says that can’t do that either. He eventually realized I was messing with them and says he got notice from the courthouse that I’m not eligible to settle outside. I yelled BULLSHIT, and he told me to take that credit card I have and swipe my vagina with it. Jesus! That was rude, for someone who was just trying to pay up 😂😂"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BiggerBoat posted:

I get calls about cards I don't have too. God, technology can be really useful and helpful but gently caress if scammers and advertising don't just loving ruin everything somehow.

I get calls about credit cards and I tell the guy I don't have any. He insists I do. I told him if I needed anything that I couldn't pay cash for, I just stole it. He actually believed me for about a minute when I told him that I would walk into a store and take whatever I needed and nobody ever tried to stop me.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Most vaginas have a chip now, anyway.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Consent goes in the blockchain

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

cinni posted:

This is from a friends fb post recently:

"So I kept getting phone calls from a “Washington DC” number eventually leaving voicemails about tax fraud on my family. I decided to call them just to be funny, because I know it’s a scam. They said I owed a ridiculous amount of 5,000 lmao, so I pretended to be worried and was like I will pay for it all right now with my credit card, the guy continues to say we don’t take credit card, so I said” alright that’s weird, but okay i will pay debit straight out of my checking right now, you ready.” He says that can’t do that either. He eventually realized I was messing with them and says he got notice from the courthouse that I’m not eligible to settle outside. I yelled BULLSHIT, and he told me to take that credit card I have and swipe my vagina with it. Jesus! That was rude, for someone who was just trying to pay up 😂😂"

Oh yeah, this happened to me - the voice mail said it was a tax related matter. I called back and he says something about 7k or 8k in back taxes and that there's a warrant for my arrest, federal prison etc. I say something civilly about "well, my taxes are handled by my accountant, I should call that guy." He freaks out and starts saying poo poo about my phone being tapped, don't call anyone etc. I told him to arrest my rear end, "go gently caress yourself" and hung up.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/alexbrucesmith/status/1059199338369273856

:discourse:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
A good scam imo.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Holyshoot posted:

A good scam imo.

Taking advantage of people who are, perhaps, predisposed to racism based on political alignment but who are obviously willing to see past that? What do you see as the positive outcome here? Because I see this as likely to create more racists.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

baquerd posted:

Taking advantage of people who are, perhaps, predisposed to racism based on political alignment but who are obviously willing to see past that? What do you see as the positive outcome here? Because I see this as likely to create more racists.

lmfao

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah we have to be nice to the racists or they'll get worse

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah we have to be nice to the racists or they'll get worse

Donating money to a black woman is racist? I don't think that word means what you think it means. This woman just victimized the people most sympathetic towards fighting racism in the party.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 6, 2018

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Oh yeah, this happened to me - the voice mail said it was a tax related matter. I called back and he says something about 7k or 8k in back taxes and that there's a warrant for my arrest, federal prison etc. I say something civilly about "well, my taxes are handled by my accountant, I should call that guy." He freaks out and starts saying poo poo about my phone being tapped, don't call anyone etc. I told him to arrest my rear end, "go gently caress yourself" and hung up.

Having had to frequently reassure terrified clients that no, the rear end in a top hat claiming to be the IRS is a fake and there was NO issue with their taxes, I'm about at the point where I've debated getting an air horn (or possibly teaching my beagle to let loose his very powerful howl) for those guys when they call. The bastards even called my tax office once, I about sprained my eyes rolling them. You'd think applying your scam to non-business numbers only would be easy to set up in the technology of this day and age.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MadDogMike posted:

Having had to frequently reassure terrified clients that no, the rear end in a top hat claiming to be the IRS is a fake and there was NO issue with their taxes, I'm about at the point where I've debated getting an air horn (or possibly teaching my beagle to let loose his very powerful howl) for those guys when they call. The bastards even called my tax office once, I about sprained my eyes rolling them. You'd think applying your scam to non-business numbers only would be easy to set up in the technology of this day and age.

The easiest thing to do is just blast robocalls at every phone number that exists and hope for a mark.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

It's a party whose primary election strategy is "take away as many black people's votes as possible." I'm not really sure what non-racists are voting for that.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

According to Gofundme she was only given $97 and the 4 people who donated were refunded their money.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

baquerd posted:

If they become racist after that then they clearly were racist all along and just looked for a reason.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

If they become racist after that then they clearly were racist all along and just looked for a reason.

That doesn't make any sense. The word "become" implies a change in state

And the dictionaries agree:

become verb
be·​come | \bi-ˈkəm,
bē-\
became\ bi-​ˈkām ,
bē-​ \; become; becoming
Definition of become

intransitive verb

1a : to come into existence

b : to come to be become sick They both became teachers.

2 : to undergo change or development The pain was becoming more intense.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

gaj70 posted:

become verb
be·​come | \bi-ˈkəm,
bē-\
became\ bi-​ˈkām ,
bē-​ \; become; becoming
Definition of become

intransitive verb

🤓

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

gaj70 posted:

become verb
be·​come | \bi-ˈkəm,
bē-\
became\ bi-​ˈkām ,
bē-​ \; become; becoming
Definition of become

intransitive verb

Lmao

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
It went so far over his head he didn't even see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

gaj70 posted:

become verb
be·​come | \bi-ˈkəm,
bē-\
became\ bi-​ˈkām ,
bē-​ \; become; becoming
Definition of become

intransitive verb

It's really impressive that not only did you miss the point (I guess the missing scarequotes confused you when contextual clues were smacking you in the face) but that you also decided to bust out some dictionary definitions to really drive home how much you don't get it.