Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ainsley McTree posted:

You’re meant to press the r2 button lightly, not all the way down, to start filling the meter, and then when you’re ready to shoot, press it all the way, and you’ll get slow motion in the amount of how long you held the button lightly for.

That's what I was doing. Slowly pulling it back but he'd kill me before I drew and I didn't get any slow. I just mashed it and won in the end so good system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

My honor was barely above 50% and I got the good ending supposedly.

yeah I'm pretty sure basically if you're seeing visions of the deer you're good to go if you're seeing visions of a wolf you need to clean up your act

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cool I can turn in this gunslinger thing

"Sorry the guy is in St Denis"

Ok well time to push cinematic and read a book since no trains or carriages work in this chapter.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I hate Five Finger Fillet.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

When I dueled Billy Midnight I shot his gun out of his hand, thinking that it might give me a chance to press him for more information. He pulled out another gun, laughed at me, then shot himself. LMAO

Even with all of the depth this game has, I don't think we're going to see the full depth of things until people have had time to do multiple playthroughs because there are so many different ways for things to play out.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Hub Cat posted:

It only saves certain hats. There was a random tooltip for 2 seconds one time that says it saves hats that are flashing white when you pick them up.

Oh right on, thanks -- now I can actually pay attention and grab ones I want.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

When I dueled Billy Midnight I shot his gun out of his hand, thinking that it might give me a chance to press him for more information. He pulled out another gun, laughed at me, then shot himself. LMAO

Even with all of the depth this game has, I don't think we're going to see the full depth of things until people have had time to do multiple playthroughs because there are so many different ways for things to play out.

That's the only way it can go. You can't get those to go a different way no matter how hard you try.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I killed all the duelists because I'm too poo poo at the minigame. Midnight was the only one I found impossible to win against, but the others only left me with time to shoot them in the centre mass.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Slim Killington posted:

That's the only way it can go. You can't get those to go a different way no matter how hard you try.

It sure sounds like most people just straight up shot him. It's the same outcome long term but it's a really cool detail that's missable and I'm sure there are thousands more like that.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
So I finally got the companion app to connect! Just had to unlink and relink my Live account. Also got rid of my games for windows link. That shows you how long ago I'd done all this.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arthur with the big hearty "YES!" when he wins big at poker is just fantastic. He's so freaking pumped!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I don't know which is better - Arthur being a loudmouthed rear end in a top hat in a crowded theater or Arthur having childlike amazement during a vaudeville act.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I don't know which is better - Arthur being a loudmouthed rear end in a top hat in a crowded theater or Arthur having childlike amazement during a vaudeville act.

I lol’d for real at Arthur’s reactions in the vaudeville theater. Then it bugged out and the first act never came on stage.

I’m still early in the game, so without spoilers; this thing that you’re all bitching about in chapter 6, is it a thing where you can just keep doing missions and then the game is good again soon, or should I make sure i do anything that looks fun in the open world before I end chapter 5?

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Arthur being a complete goober during the Vaudeville thing makes him 2018's most relatable character for me b/c I'm also an absolute child for stage acts and especially magic acts. It's very endearing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The trick is to hoot and holler at anything with DANCING GIRLS! I LOVE DANCING GIRLS! and boo the poo poo out the host and any other act that isn't fire twirling CAREFUL YOU DON'T BURN YOURSELF!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The post-game issue people are complaining about is ultimately going to come down to taste. Even stating what the taste issue is is fairly spoilery unfortunately.

Personally I would advise making manual saves generously as you get later in the game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

No Mods No Masters posted:

The post-game issue people are complaining about is ultimately going to come down to taste. Even stating what the taste issue is fairly spoilery unfortunately.

Personally I would advise making manual saves generously as you get later in the game.

I wish I made a manual save at chapter 4. I reckon that's the sweetest spot for adventuring since everything starts to railroad and go nuts in chapter 5.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Being amazed by every act, and then yelling at the host to shut up and bring out the next one already.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JBP posted:

I wish I made a manual save at chapter 4. I reckon that's the sweetest spot for adventuring since everything starts to railroad and go nuts in chapter 5.

Hmm. Alright, thanks, I’ll do that and not inquire further.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone noticed any red dead revolver references in this game

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Empress Brosephine posted:

You can pick a scorpion as one of the handgun engravings. I I would not be surprised if that was not a deliberate reference and just "Scorpions are cool".

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

It sure sounds like most people just straight up shot him. It's the same outcome long term but it's a really cool detail that's missable and I'm sure there are thousands more like that.

Oh no I mean whether you straight-up shoot them or don't, the outcome is the same. They'll just kill themselves or lock you in combat until you shoot them outside the duel. There's no not killing them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I threw a bunch of fish in a river and now I am the most honorable man in the land. Now to go jailbreak someone, the honorable tradition

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I had a bit over $9 in Google Fun Bucks so I bought the strategy guide from the app, but good god it's so loving tiny I can't read it on my phone. Is there a way for me to get it on my PC to read? Or am I just screwed because I don't have a tablet?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Aranan posted:

I had a bit over $9 in Google Fun Bucks so I bought the strategy guide from the app, but good god it's so loving tiny I can't read it on my phone. Is there a way for me to get it on my PC to read? Or am I just screwed because I don't have a tablet?

I have been taking screenshots and transferring them to my computer with drive.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Aranan posted:

Zoom in?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Then it takes 30 swipes to read one page. And if you're trying to look at a chart..

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Slim Killington posted:

Yeah I just spent 20 minutes figuring this out :suicide:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Slim Killington posted:

Oh no I mean whether you straight-up shoot them or don't, the outcome is the same. They'll just kill themselves or lock you in combat until you shoot them outside the duel. There's no not killing them.

They all have weird little touches, like with Flaco Hernandez if you threaten his posse they'll stand down, and if you kill Flaco in the duel they'll flee, but if you disarm Flaco he'll pull out a sawed-off and then they'll help him out and start shooting, but as soon as he's dead (in my case I bull rushed him with the knife and stabbed him) they get scared and flee anyway.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Has anyone been able to figure out how to ride a horse without losing stamina? I had a blink-and-you-miss-it tooltip that said something about tapping the sprint button to the rhythm of the horse’s gallop but I haven’t been able to figure out exactly what that rhythm is.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I was too busy waiting for the cue to throw his rear end on the fire but is the homestead robbery tip the sexual predator gives you an actual house to look for? It didn’t pop on my map

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Has anyone been able to figure out how to ride a horse without losing stamina? I had a blink-and-you-miss-it tooltip that said something about tapping the sprint button to the rhythm of the horse’s gallop but I haven’t been able to figure out exactly what that rhythm is.

I noticed sometimes when you pat the horse it recovers a little stamina.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I think you have to tap in time with their clops but honestly I can't get it to work consistently. Just take your horse into a stable for a care package every chance you can because they are a good horse.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

the_american_dream posted:

I was too busy waiting for the cue to throw his rear end on the fire but is the homestead robbery tip the sexual predator gives you an actual house to look for? It didn’t pop on my map

tap left on the d pad i think. that should bring up a active mission tab that shows home invasions, store robbery tips that you have collected.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Walking/riding on mountains is a little awkward but when a horse rolls down a hill it's always funny.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Empress Brosephine posted:

I also have noticed similarities between the games.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think you just slow down the drain. Riding the Ardennes I basically never run out, although they’re kinda slow.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ok so in Rhodes chapter 3 was exploring near the gunsmith store and heard what sounded like some serious domestic abuse but couldn’t find it anyone know where or what I’m talking about

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

ughhhh posted:

tap left on the d pad i think. that should bring up a active mission tab that shows home invasions, store robbery tips that you have collected.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
So I guess you can just keep buying premium cigs from the store to get the cards...buy em, get card, drop em, buy more...