Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Do they sell desk chairs, you ask? I say as I swivel around to face the door in my Costco desk chair, a glass of Kirkland brand whiskey clinking in my hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

shovelbum posted:

Do they sell desk chairs? Also those big cheap TV's are calling my name

The TCL 40"+ 4K tvs are loving legit man for like $200-300, its insane. do it. my only prob is the sound/speakers is not great and often hard to hear dialog in shows, like i can turn up volume but then explosions n poo poo are super duper loud. im not sure what to do about that though. happy if anyone has suggestions.

but yeah they sell desk chairs, sometimes only occasionally i think or sometimes different models

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Get you the Yamaha soundbar for $150 and ascend to blessed heights. PBUC.

Yamaha ATS-1080 35" 2.1 Channel Soundbar with Dual Built-in Subwoofers

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Xaris posted:

The TCL 40"+ 4K tvs are loving legit man for like $200-300, its insane. do it. my only prob is the sound/speakers is not great and often hard to hear dialog in shows, like i can turn up volume but then explosions n poo poo are super duper loud. im not sure what to do about that though. happy if anyone has suggestions.

but yeah they sell desk chairs, sometimes only occasionally i think or sometimes different models

Not costco, but when I was looking for a cheap big rear end 4k tv, a lot of the suggestions came up as having poorer sound quality, though many reviewers suggested getting a soundbar to remedy the issue.

As it was, the Finlux I got seems fine for the most part, so I can't confirm/deny if it works well.

E: see above

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Laterite posted:

Get you the Yamaha soundbar for $150 and ascend to blessed heights. PBUC.

Yamaha ATS-1080 35" 2.1 Channel Soundbar with Dual Built-in Subwoofers

thanks, i assume thats basically compatible with any modern tv? nevermind. sounds good, i'll take a look next time in at the costco

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 3, 2018

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

hope and vaseline posted:

As someone who's just looking to get into scotch, the size of that is a little intimidating haha. I just picked up the Balvenie 12 year for $50 and I'm really enjoying it.

Balvenie is amazing, the Kirkland is legit decent.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What's up with the chicken bake

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

Zacapa is really good rum. Buy that too and don't mix it or I will come get you.

Zacapa is great. A little too sweet but yeah, a good intro for aged rums.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Schmeichy posted:

Laphroaig or ardberg are my jam

Worst new drinker advice of all time dude, I mean seriously you are batting .000 on this one

If you are anywhere near newly into scotch, avoid these at all costs

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Taima posted:

Worst new drinker advice of all time dude, I mean seriously you are batting .000 on this one

If you are anywhere near newly into scotch, avoid these at all costs

I wasn't advising a new drinker, just stating what I like. Also apparently while not knowing how ardbeg is spelled

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

shovelbum posted:

some like it some don't. definitely a cold weather food item. needs hot sauce. on the lower tier of their hot food items imho.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Schmeichy posted:

Laphroaig or ardberg are my jam

You don't have to be like A SCOTCH EXPERT who worked his way up from Johnny Walker through the Glen whatever's to like peaty scotch, Laphroaig was one of the first scotches I ever tried and I loved it but I'd been drinking smoky beers for years

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xaris posted:

The TCL 40"+ 4K tvs are loving legit man for like $200-300, its insane.
Careful, since the Roku TV branded models might not have a digital tuner for OTA content.

I still like watching local programs and poo poo so theyre not for me.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

shovelbum posted:

You don't have to be like A SCOTCH EXPERT who worked his way up from Johnny Walker through the Glen whatever's to like peaty scotch, Laphroaig was one of the first scotches I ever tried and I loved it but I'd been drinking smoky beers for years

Yeah, my first exposure to scotch was a tasting, and I liked the peaty ones best right off the bat. I should probably have posted the disclaimer that you have to like drinking campfire smoke though

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

shovelbum posted:

Delicious

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Schmeichy posted:

you have to like drinking campfire smoke though
Thats Arrogant Bastard ale, not something like Lagavullin

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

shovelbum posted:

Most people are going to want a more reasonable dram, I don't know why this is controversial. No one is saying that NOBODY EVER liked a fireplace dram when they started.

Acting like this is ever good advice seems like grandstanding to me, just like the dude who tried to interject how he liked Ardbeg into a conversation about beginner scotch.

We get it, you're badasses. That doesn't make your advice good.

I've probably introduced 20 people to scotch. I can't name one who liked fireplace drams to start. It's just silly to offer as lowest common denominator advice.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

shovelbum posted:

It's sometimes good sometimes not. The filling varies because sometimes it's 90% ranch and sometimes it's an appropriate ratio to the meat(s).

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

jokes posted:

It's sometimes good sometimes not. The filling varies because sometimes it's 90% ranch and sometimes it's an appropriate ratio to the meat(s).

the shareholders know that ranch dressing is cheaper than chicken meat which is why some of they have that ratio

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I had a Costco desk chair for years before the arm started falling apart. I never could find a good replacement from Costco but drat that was an amazing chair.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Recently on Japanese TV there was a show where someone goes shopping at Costco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YtjUES5WL4

Even if you can't understand Japanese, the language of excellent products at great products is universal!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Japan has Costco, I used to drive by one every day and wonder if they had giant American products or if they had region specific stuff.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They sell giant robots at Costco in Japan.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Updates at the Avon MA Costco foodcourt: Onion hopper GONE, Brisket Sandwich GONE, awesome vegan salad, GONE.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Dedham has onion grinder still

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Here's a hot take, bitching because a Scotch is blended doesn't make you more sophisticated. This obsession with single malt is just a stupid whisky snob thing from when you could get a really good or a really bad bottle depending on the malt you chose. Master distillers are able to create rich tapestries of interesting flavors in blended scotches more readily than a single origin whisky could on its own (cognac in particular is another spirit where the blend gets you the depth of flavor).

Also holy poo poo this obsession with peat flavor - I agree that none is bad, a little is good but more reaches the point of diminishing returns and you get to these bog monsters that taste like you're drinking liquid smoke and chewing on dirt: it will absolutely and utterly overpower every other subtle taste in the distillate. It's why the obsession with increasingly hoppy IPAs doesn't make you a beer connoisseur; you just learn to like literally one (initially unpalatable) flavor and your palate is totally absent beyond that. Learning to like something that has one strong flavor isn't a sign of sophistication.

Many of the blended whiskys are among the best in the world and it has nothing to do with marketing.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Xaris posted:

my friend bought one of the sound bars that they also sell in that area. you gotta drop another 100 dollars-ish but the sound difference is night and day.

edit: just checked. there was only one less than 100. a visio sound bar @89.99. The rest are in the 200 to 300 dollar range. Yikes.

Im Ready for DEATH fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 3, 2018

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Here's a hot take, bitching because a Scotch is blended doesn't make you more sophisticated. This obsession with single malt is just a stupid whisky snob thing from when you could get a really good or a really bad bottle depending on the malt you chose. Master distillers are able to create rich tapestries of interesting flavors in blended scotches more readily than a single origin whisky could on its own (cognac in particular is another spirit where the blend gets you the depth of flavor).

Also holy poo poo this obsession with peat flavor - I agree that none is bad, a little is good but more reaches the point of diminishing returns and you get to these bog monsters that taste like you're drinking liquid smoke and chewing on dirt: it will absolutely and utterly overpower every other subtle taste in the distillate. It's why the obsession with increasingly hoppy IPAs doesn't make you a beer connoisseur; you just learn to like literally one (initially unpalatable) flavor and your palate is totally absent beyond that. Learning to like something that has one strong flavor isn't a sign of sophistication.

Many of the blended whiskys are among the best in the world and it has nothing to do with marketing.

God, you hit the nail on the head with IPAs. I live in Portland and have basically had to stop ordering them because it is a hops arms race to see who can make the most bitter, alcoholic beer out here. It is frustrating because a lot of places will have 20 beers on tap and 15 of them are IPAs. And good luck buying a variety pack of beer; half of that will be IPA also.

therobit fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 3, 2018

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

jokes posted:

It ain't ranch it's Caesar dressing!!! Golly.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Learning to like something that has one strong flavor isn't a sign of sophistication.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

got some GREEK YOGURT STYLE tzatziki and it is good for a savory breakfast yogurt

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Geoj posted:

Saw this in the prepared meals section yesterday -

They're certainly more gringo than street taco, but they only take about 10 minutes to prepare - just reheat the chicken, fry the tortillas and assemble. Corn tortillas were surprisingly really good - thick enough that you can get a good blistered char on the outside without turning them into chips.

my costco has a gryo kit where you get 5 gyro for like 10 bucks. doesnt include veggies but it was pretty dang good.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Careful, since the Roku TV branded models might not have a digital tuner for OTA content.

I still like watching local programs and poo poo so theyre not for me.

Not only does my Costco TCL TV have an OTA tuner, it also supports plugging in a USB stick for local recording so you can pause and rewind whatever you’re watching.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

God example of this was the Kirkland 28 year blend vs the 21 year single malt. Both were solid but the 28 year blend blew it away in smoothness and flavor. Usually when I get a single malt I end up disappointed one way or another. Where blends are consistently solid. My personal favorite one right now is the Balvenie doublewood. Since getting married and having a kid I don’t really buy expensive booze anymore. So I tend to get a bottle I know I’m gonna love rather than experimenting with the more expensive ones.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Went to my favorite local 'co for some TP and PT hot dogs and noticed that not only does my church have a onion dispenser, it has Sierra Mist in the soda fountain for non caffeine havers.

RIP the salad I never ate, long live Chili and Acai Bowl that I will also never eat.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is the 55" TCL Roku 4k TV good? Its going on sale for like 270, and I kind of want to upgrade my 42" 1080p

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Is the 55" TCL Roku 4k TV good? Its going on sale for like 270, and I kind of want to upgrade my 42" 1080p

Do you know what model it is? Rtings seems to be pretty positive on the 2018 models.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

shovelbum posted:

30% filling, 70% empty bread shell

Shake it up and roll it out to evenly distribute the filling and it's decent

therobit posted:

God, you hit the nail on the head with IPAs. I live in Portland and have basically hagg to stop ordering them because it is a hops arms race to see who can make the most bitter, alcoholic beer out here. It is frustrating because a lot of places will have 20 beers on tap and 15 of them are IPAs. And good luck buying s bailey park of beer; half of that will be IPA also.

this is everything everywhere and i hate it

Bummey fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 3, 2018

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Sir, this is a Costco food court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

270 is a pretty drat good price but if you find the model that would help.

Honestly though it’s under $300 and as long as it doesn’t self immolate when you plug it in it will probably be a pretty good step up from what you have.

Once you start getting into like sub 300 range a lot of the TVs start to blend together unless you are getting a last year higher end model at a deep discount.