Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I love Proto-Nagisa's swoopy hair. I like that they kept that for the most part, especially in CGI scenes when she's got that one bouncy curl.

Honestly I don't know how they did it but CGI Nagisa is like, ridiculously cute. I think she's my favorite CGI Cure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Alvarez IV posted:

The gay stuff isn't an issue anymore (not sure if it was originally, apparently gay stuff is seen in Japan as something harmless if everyone's under a certain age), and the cousin-relationships in the show are, I'm pretty sure, framed as a foreign Chinese old-time oddity, but there's like three different teachers banging four different students and I feel like that right wing conspiracy about homosexuality being the slippery slope to pedophilia and dog-loving is playing out on my screen. I mean I'm still watching it and enjoying it, it's got fine art direction and I've watched stuff with a lot worse for a lot less, but drat. Is there some kind of cultural context I'm missing out on that would help me understand this show, or am I understanding it fine and it's just not aged great?

The cousin relationships aren't even an old-time oddity, just a non-Anglosphere thing. I agree that the teacher-student aspect of Sakura's parents' relationship is uncomfortable, and Mizuki/Touya is worse (although at least there's no clear indication that Mizuki and Touya actually banged). The Rika/Terada thing in the manga was the worst of all, but thankfully it's just an unrequited crush in the anime. I'm not sure where people are getting Mizuki/Eriol from; I always saw Mizuki as Eriol's lackey.

As to why they're there: because CLAMP is weird about relationships. It's not really a Japanese thing so much as a CLAMP thing. To the extent that there's an actual cultural difference, it's mostly just a slightly greater toleration of things-that-would-be-unacceptable-in-real-life in popular fiction.

Tomoyo's behavior does sometimes cross some lines when you think about it. There's some scenes early on where she clearly makes Sakura uncomfortable, and she sometimes seems to be filming Sakura from some questionable angles. She's young enough that she should be cut some slack about that sort of thing, though.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's more Toku than magical girl but Action Heroine Cheer Fruits is hitting Crunchyroll tomorrow and is more than worth a watch

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Since I'm about 90% certain Star Twinkle will be space themed I'm guessing most of the Cures will be named after planets and/or constellations/zodiac signs. I'm also expecting at least one alien Cure and maybe a few Sailor Moon homages here and there (this series has already referenced Kamen Rider at least once so why not).

If you think about it, this franchise in general has basically been Dragon Ball meets Super Sentai from the word go (except these girls don't need any robots to deal with giant monsters).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Since I'm about 90% certain Star Twinkle will be space themed I'm guessing most of the Cures will be named after planets and/or constellations/zodiac signs. I'm also expecting at least one alien Cure and maybe a few Sailor Moon homages here and there (this series has already referenced Kamen Rider at least once so why not).

If you think about it, this franchise in general has basically been Dragon Ball meets Super Sentai from the word go (except these girls don't need any robots to deal with giant monsters).

Dating robots, on the other hand, is A-OK.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Emiru, stop posting on SA, you're not old enough.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Dating robots, on the other hand, is A-OK.

I forget, who was the one who did this again?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also as an aside I've been rewatching Sailor Moon again recently and the episode where they're all fighting inside Usagi's house was one of the more amusing bits of filler in this franchise (Usagi even breaks out Moon Tiara Action again for the first time in a while....with a pizza).

Out of the 3 main incarnations I'd say the 90's version does better on comedy and giving the other scouts more screen time (it's also one of the better versions of the first arc of the series, at least as far as the final battle goes anyway), PGSM was better at character development (plus people who weren't named Usagi actually got to kill monsters on occasion), and Crystal/the manga had probably the best animation in the entire franchise during it's third season and I feel like the last 3 arcs of the series were better handled in the manga than they were in the 90's anime (especially Dream/SuperS), I still probably rank it the lowest out of the 3 though (especially the first season of Crystal which sped through the Dark Kingdom arc at a breakneck pace).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 2, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also pluto gets almost literally nothing to do in the anime

she doesnt get much to do in the manga/crystal either but at least she gets to be kinda mysterious, in the anime its like shes kind of part of the cast but also kind of isnt

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

also pluto gets almost literally nothing to do in the anime

she doesnt get much to do in the manga/crystal either but at least she gets to be kinda mysterious, in the anime its like shes kind of part of the cast but also kind of isnt

I think she gets a fight or two in Stars (and possibly some in S too) but yeah, she and Saturn kind of get the short end of the stick as far as general focus goes it seems. In fact, I think the latter mostly just gets her main arc in S, the beginning of Stars and maybe one or two more appearances towards the very end.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 3, 2018

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Larryb posted:

I forget, who was the one who did this again?

Post above yours.

This Precure season's Sailor Uranus and Neptune are Emiru, A young girl with an overly control family who secretly loves electric guitar, and Lulu, and android from the future who switched sides thanks to power of love and rock.
After declaring their feelings for each other the pair became the Precures of Love, Cure Macherie and Cure Amour. I'm sure the producers have perfectly heterosexual explanation for this.

Like to their "definitely not a couple" transformation sequence:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_fpYUv--hY

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I always wished we got a second season of the live action just to see how it would of handled the outers

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vorpal Cat posted:

Post above yours.

This Precure season's Sailor Uranus and Neptune are Emiru, A young girl with an overly control family who secretly loves electric guitar, and Lulu, and android from the future who switched sides thanks to power of love and rock.
After declaring their feelings for each other the pair became the Precures of Love, Cure Macherie and Cure Amour. I'm sure the producers have perfectly heterosexual explanation for this.

Like to their "definitely not a couple" transformation sequence:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_fpYUv--hY

Ah right, forgot Lulu was an android for a moment. But to be fair, heavily implied lesbian relationships have kind of been a thing in this series going all the way back to Nagisa and Honoka in the original (some are more overt about it than others though).

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I always wished we got a second season of the live action just to see how it would of handled the outers

Or Chibiusa for that matter (they'd probably have to age her up to a teenager though since you can't really have a child doing stunt work). Honestly they could probably still do another season of PGSM but I'm not sure if the actresses still look young enough to pull off playing middle school students anymore so you might have to recast most of them.

Also is it just me or was Sailor Luna kind of pointless in that series? She couldn't fight that well most of the time and I don't think they ever really developed her much at all. Honestly I kind of think they partially just brought her on so they wouldn't have to deal with the cat plush as often.

Speaking of the live action show, did the actresses playing the main scouts do all their own stunt work or were they swapped out whenever they transformed?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 3, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vorpal Cat posted:

I'm sure the producers have perfectly heterosexual explanation for this.

this kind of posting sucks, imo. you can just say you read them as gay and its cool, this kind of ironic, 'oh they think they're slipping something past us' framing is inherently built on the idea that lesbianism is weird and funny and out of the norm, which is a dumb tact to take intentional or not, especially in a franchise that's had explicit homosexuality in a couple of places. (Mostly the manga, but still)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's also really dumb because it is explicitly a gay romance here. Just check out this clip. https://youtu.be/4wdEE4PRfMk

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Endorph posted:

this kind of posting sucks, imo. you can just say you read them as gay and its cool, this kind of ironic, 'oh they think they're slipping something past us' framing is inherently built on the idea that lesbianism is weird and funny and out of the norm, which is a dumb tact to take intentional or not, especially in a franchise that's had explicit homosexuality in a couple of places. (Mostly the manga, but still)

That was never my intention. Anime as whole and especially the magical girl sub genre as far too many instances of stories where it's clear the writer intended the characters to be gay, and the majority of the fans see the relationship as gay, but for one reason or another they will never actually admit that it's a homosexual relationship. Whether its out of a culture that sees adolescent same sex attraction as "just a phase", or out of desire not to drive of the wifu crowd, the ratio of heavy gay subtext to actual gay text in anime is just infuriating at times. Watch enough anime and hang around enough discussion threads and it's easy to accidentally internalise jokes about how "they're such good friends". The piss taking about heavy subtext relationships in my post was aimed at the general hypocrisy of the medium, not the concept of lesbian relationships in fiction. It's clear however, that what I intended to covay with my post and what I actually wrote are two different things.

Julias posted:

It's also really dumb because it is explicitly a gay romance here. Just check out this clip. https://youtu.be/4wdEE4PRfMk

Also I hadn't gotten to this episode yet and didn't realise their relationship had been explicitly confirmed in the show.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

My gay rear end is still bitter that the Yukari/Akira romance seemed to mysteriously disappear by the end of Kira Kira

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

My gay rear end is still bitter that the Yukari/Akira romance seemed to mysteriously disappear by the end of Kira Kira

Yeah, while the subtext can get pretty blatant at times (see also: Go! Princess), that one was practically canon. I'm not really sure why they even need to pretend to be honest, Sailor Moon had an explicitly lesbian couple so why not this series?

Speaking of Sailor Moon, how far is Viz into SuperS at the moment as far as the current redub goes?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 3, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I don't think the show ignored it but Kira Kira did fall victim to having the back half focus on the plot and ended up ignoring a lot of the interesting side bits (though the main plot is really good). The official merchandise from the Twins and other sources is all about them being a couple as well

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The writer of most of the Yukari and Akira episodes also moved to another job after the episode with the Prince.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Emiru, stop posting on SA, you're not old enough.

Out of curiosity, is it supposed to be "Emiru" or "Emil" (I think the latter pops up when Lulu scans her during their first meeting)?

Also, outside of the All Stars movies and maybe a cameo or two at the end, am I correct in assuming that Precure generally follows the Sentai/Kamen Rider formula where every season that isn't a direct sequel is a separate universe unless Toei says otherwise (most of the crossovers in Hugtto seem to involve dimensional travel after all)?

I mostly ask because I was just curious if a season that went full on Gokaiger/Decade could work for this particular franchise. Physically transforming into past Cures might not work but I could see them getting items that allow the current team to use their predecessors signature attacks at the very least (for example Futari Wa would give them Marble Screw).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 4, 2018

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

In the first few All Stars movies, they seem to live in adjacent towns.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's Emiru, given Emil is, you know, a boy's name.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

It isn’t against the law for her name to be Emil.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No, but that makes it far less likely than the perfectly normal Japanese girl's name that she could have otherwise.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

True, but the way names are interpreted across languages with different phoneme sets can be very liquid. Ultimately it’s up to the fellows who made her. If those fellows rendered her name in roman letters, as they may have through the lens of Ruru Lulu, then that is a more convincing clue than “Girls Can’t Have Boy Names”.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Toei also has an infamously poor track record with romanizing their names in English.

An infamous cause is "Liko/Riko", which, if you accept the former because that's how it's written a couple times in english, renders her name utter nonsense in an english context. Yes, you can argue the "family theme naming" is more important, but the "l" and "r" sound is identical in Japanese and the fact is they just don't consider them to be different.

I guess under that you can argue that "Emil is technically correct", but at the same time it implies a much less likely source for her name, so, like with Riko, you should ideally choose what invokes the intended meaning more than what happens to be written on-screen.

Which is more likely? That her name is derived from the masculine form of "Emily" or "Amelia", which can mean "excellent" or "industrious", or that it comes from "Emiru", a Japanese name that means "true love", tying into her Cure name and overall role in the story?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

True, but the way names are interpreted across languages with different phoneme sets can be very liquid. Ultimately it’s up to the fellows who made her. If those fellows rendered her name in roman letters, as they may have through the lens of Ruru Lulu, then that is a more convincing clue than “Girls Can’t Have Boy Names”.

Yeah I may have misremembered and don't have a screenshot handy but I'm pretty sure when Lulu first meets her she brings up a diagnostic that reads "CURE EMIL" (Also when people actually say her name it sounds like there's a hard "L" sound in there). But then again, it wouldn't be the first time a character's name got misspelled when romanized in-show. I was just trying to clarify whether that particular spelling was wrong or the subbers were wrong in this case (Emiru does make sense given the above explanation).

Either way it's not that big a deal all things considered.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 4, 2018

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

It isn’t against the law for her name to be Liko.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No, but Liko doesn't *mean anything* other than an alternate transliteration of "Riko" and it obscures the fact that her name has an actual origin because few actual people actually go by that.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I understand your frustration, but the author gets to name his characters whatever they want. It doesn’t matter if they’re wrong.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’m saying that there’s a difference between the author being wrong and the choices the fandom makes regarding what translations to use that give the best look at authorial intent and informative context for as many readers and viewers as possible.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

And I’m saying that a rendering of a name that is supported in the work itself is implicitly valid.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

why does it feel like every japanese kids' show fanbase is stuck a decade behind wrt translation discourse

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Motto posted:

why does it feel like every japanese kids' show fanbase is stuck a decade behind wrt translation discourse

I know of no such thing, now excuse me I'm going to go argue on twitter that it's Laura Sakuraba in Aikatsu Stars not Rola

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I’m saying that there’s a difference between the author being wrong and the choices the fandom makes regarding what translations to use that give the best look at authorial intent and informative context for as many readers and viewers as possible.

Speaking of which, is more than one group subbing Hugtto? I've mostly just been watching via Kiss (mostly because I don't know what the actual source is) and some episodes use Emiru and Lulu while others use Emile and Ruru. The latter also actually translates the name of the transformation item (that is, Future Crystal rather than Mirai Crystal).

Off that subject, but since I didn't actually get into this series until fairly recently how long does it usually take before we start getting some concrete info on the next season?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 5, 2018

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's 100% supposed to be Emiru. Lulu/Ruru is a classic case of L and R ambiguity, though on screen text essentially confirmed it is supposed to be Ruru.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's supposed to be Ruru cause her model number is RUR-9500. RUR could also be a reference to the play R.U.R. which originated the word robot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Allarion posted:

It's supposed to be Ruru cause her model number is RUR-9500. RUR could also be a reference to the play R.U.R. which originated the word robot.

Ah neat, in her case I'd just assumed it was Lulu since that sounds more like an actual name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's also pretty amusing how far anon goes to keep using Lulu including doing sign edits