Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

rodbeard posted:

I don't really know anyone who gives a poo poo about the old doctor who and I hang out with nerds all day.

The recently departed Twelfth Doctor, Peter Capaldi, has been a massive Who fan since the first episode in 1963. When he dies his tombstone will probably say "Here lies Peter Capaldi. He was the loving Doctor, you oval office".

I'm not sure why anime is being discussed in this thread, when by the fandom's standard the episodes can't age badly. I mean, even when an episode is 1000 years old the characters will still look like 10 year old girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

So I guess there's only about eight people in the UK?

Yes, I was absolutely being literal when I said eight people. It’s called hyperbole. C’mon now, there is no way you haven’t run into that before.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yes, I was absolutely being literal when I said eight people. It’s called hyperbole. C’mon now, there is no way you haven’t run into that before.

He wasn't being serious when he pretended you thought you were literally correct. It's called sarcasm. C'mon now, there is no way you havent run into that before.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It wasn't until it was revamped in the... 2000's?

I remember being in the UK in 2006-2007 or something and being shocked at how big Dr. Who was, we'd barely heard of it in Israel and there it was as big as Star Trek or something. But it still hadn't made it big in the larger world, I don't think, and definitely not in the US.

Yeah, the most popular episode of Doctor Who was watched by a quarter of the UK (due partly to a strike in a competing network). Even shortly before it got cancelled the first time it was still getting ~4M viewers.

It was pretty popular here in Australia too, although not to that extent.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vandar posted:

The fact that Family Guy somehow managed a multi-season spin-off and yet they never tried with the Simpsons is baffling.

One would think Fox would have tried to push through a spin-off at the height of Simpsons-mania.

I was just about to post that American Dad wasn't a spin-off when I remembered that The Cleveland Show existed. Never understood why they decided to base a spin-off around the dullest of Peter's friends. Could've done a show of globe-trotting adventures with Quagmire, or crime-fighting with Joe, but nope. Just make Family Guy BUT! they're black.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Family Guy made fun of the Cleveland Show a few times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHbvn2uO_QQ

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Here's something that haven't aged well.

A ton of Bond movies.

Last night, was watchingMan with the Golden Gun and Jesus the casual racism, Kung Fu scenes, heaps of misoginy, Bond being a loving rapey piece of poo poo, and J.W. Pepper, who would be a villian in any current day movie.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

bunnyofdoom posted:

Here's something that haven't aged well.

A ton of Bond movies.

Last night, was watchingMan with the Golden Gun and Jesus the casual racism, Kung Fu scenes, heaps of misoginy, Bond being a loving rapey piece of poo poo, and J.W. Pepper, who would be a villian in any current day movie.

still almost worth it for Christopher Lee as a bond villain. And I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong, but the most racist bond moment I remember is when connery lived as a japanese man.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Don't forget "You Only Live Twice" where Bond goes undercover as an Asian man

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bunnyofdoom posted:

and J.W. Pepper, who would be a villian in any current day movie.

And they somehow decided he was so great, they had him come back for a second movie.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Anyone remember the terrible fake spin off episode in The Office when they were going to try and make a Dwight spinoff called The Farm? I don't know why they even aired that episode. You can tell they tried to cut it so that it fit into the last seasons run, but man was it bad. Not "Stairpocalypse" or "The Banker" bad, but really very bad.

Stairpocalypse?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Stairmageddon

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

rodbeard posted:

I don't really know anyone who gives a poo poo about the old doctor who and I hang out with nerds all day.

There’s one written by Douglas Adams that is pretty funny, but that’s the only one I can stand for more than a few minutes, and I love weird schlock.

I do remember being really afraid of accidentally seeing any of the old episodes on pbs when I was a kid. There was just something about the theremin-esque score, muddy vhs quality, slate-grey 70s English skies, and drab colors that just gave me a weird sense of dread.

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There’s one written by Douglas Adams that is pretty funny, but that’s the only one I can stand for more than a few minutes, and I love weird schlock.

I honestly like some old the Who Serials unironically. The pacing is weird because of the serial format, SFX are horrible, and the music..yeah.,but some stories are well written and the acting is mostly hammy but solid to good. I maybe should add that i only really caught up on OldWho after the second season of NewWho. (I don't think catching a few episodes of the lovely German dub as a child really counts).

But matter of taste i guess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I do remember being really afraid of accidentally seeing any of the old episodes on pbs when I was a kid. There was just something about the theremin-esque score, muddy vhs quality, slate-grey 70s English skies, and drab colors that just gave me a weird sense of dread.

Many people of a certain generation will tell you how they hid behind the couch terrified of the Daleks or the Cybermen.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Vandar posted:

The fact that Family Guy somehow managed a multi-season spin-off and yet they never tried with the Simpsons is baffling.

One would think Fox would have tried to push through a spin-off at the height of Simpsons-mania.

I get the impression the creators always resisted it. The episode Behind the Laughter makes fun of the concept of bleeding a show dry, so I guess they just never wanted to do it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm not sure if it qualifies and if so, I don't remember if it's been discussed, but I'm rewatching the Strong Bad Emails, and the casual sexism, homophobia, and transphobia, at least in the early 2000's stuff, is pretty jarring now. :geno:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm not sure if it qualifies and if so, I don't remember if it's been discussed, but I'm rewatching the Strong Bad Emails, and the casual sexism, homophobia, and transphobia, at least in the early 2000's stuff, is pretty jarring now. :geno:

In Strong Bad Emails??? I think of the whole of Homestar Runner as so wholesome.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

There was just something about the theremin-esque score, muddy vhs quality, slate-grey 70s English skies, and drab colors that just gave me a weird sense of dread.

I tell you with zero irony that this is exactly what’s good about Old Who.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I only like old Dr. Who. It’s low-rent and charming.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sunswipe posted:

I was just about to post that American Dad wasn't a spin-off when I remembered that The Cleveland Show existed. Never understood why they decided to base a spin-off around the dullest of Peter's friends. Could've done a show of globe-trotting adventures with Quagmire, or crime-fighting with Joe, but nope. Just make Family Guy BUT! they're black.

Quagmire's literally a rapist.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Bond rapes the French lady in Spectre.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Quagmire's literally a rapist.

The above linked clip actually has Peter outright say this when Quagmire complains about not having his own show.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Fumaofthelake posted:

The Costanzas could have worked since even George would be a straight man compared to his parents.

One of the reasons Frasier worked so well was the existence of Niles, who was a more extreme version of Frasier, which pushed Frasier to the middle allowing him to be the straight man when required but he was still more quirky and out-there than Martin letting him also be the clown. Something I noticed during the bad seasons of Frasier (post-Niles and Daphne getting together) was that in order to make Niles believable as a good husband/romantic lead, they evened himout on a lot and made his flaws and quirks a lot milder. That meant that Frasier was no longer between Martin and Niles in terms of outlandishness which removed a lot of comic tension on the show, and prevented its main character from having a lot of the comedic versatility that made the show click so much in the early seasons.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Henchman of Santa posted:

In Strong Bad Emails??? I think of the whole of Homestar Runner as so wholesome.

I have bad news about, say, Kids` Book.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Frasier Crane having an even more effete, snobbish brother AND a blue-collar retired cop dad was one the all-time great sitcom ideas.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

One of the reasons Frasier worked so well was the existence of Niles, who was a more extreme version of Frasier, which pushed Frasier to the middle allowing him to be the straight man when required but he was still more quirky and out-there than Martin letting him also be the clown. Something I noticed during the bad seasons of Frasier (post-Niles and Daphne getting together) was that in order to make Niles believable as a good husband/romantic lead, they evened himout on a lot and made his flaws and quirks a lot milder. That meant that Frasier was no longer between Martin and Niles in terms of outlandishness which removed a lot of comic tension on the show, and prevented its main character from having a lot of the comedic versatility that made the show click so much in the early seasons.

Again, when conceptualizing Frasier’s family way back, they were playing with the idea of making Niles an ex quarterback handyman until someone said no, Frasier will be the butch one and it all blossomed from there

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I have bad news about, say, Kids` Book.

This seems like kind of a stretch.

And Strong Bad is supposed to be a villain. It’s right there in his name. The whole point of that email is that it’s a wildly inappropriate book for children.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Milo and POTUS posted:

Stairpocalypse?

I think that's just the point where they had no idea where to go so Dwight's weird stuff really got a big focus. Some of it was probably to help sell the Dwight spin off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK0omJb6sa8

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Wait. Didn't Cheers do an episode once where Frasier introduced his parents to Diane Chambers and they totally hated her? I seem to remember that. Did they build on that continuity or just ignore it?

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Wait. Didn't Cheers do an episode once where Frasier introduced his parents to Diane Chambers and they totally hated her? I seem to remember that. Did they build on that continuity or just ignore it?

IIRC during Cheers, Frasier's parents were dead which was retconned in Frasier, in that he only claimed that both his parents were dead. It's been a while since i've seen Cheers though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Depressio111117 posted:

This seems like kind of a stretch.

And Strong Bad is supposed to be a villain. It’s right there in his name. The whole point of that email is that it’s a wildly inappropriate book for children.

Okay, how about SBE #90: Colonization?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I remember an episode where Diane met someone's mother who threatened to kill her if she didn't stop seeing her son, but I don't remember if it was Frasier's?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

englerp posted:

IIRC during Cheers, Frasier's parents were dead which was retconned in Frasier, in that he only claimed that both his parents were dead. It's been a while since i've seen Cheers though.

That retcon is perfect for Fraiser’s personality though.

It reminds me of the episode where the Crane brothers admit the moment they realized their father wasn’t infallible and perfect was when they saw he couldn’t do math in his head.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

BgRdMchne posted:

I remember an episode where Diane met someone's mother who threatened to kill her if she didn't stop seeing her son, but I don't remember if it was Frasier's?

"Diane Meets Mom", season 3 episode 8, with Nancy Marchand (Livia Soprano, Tony's mother) as Frasier's mom.

She shows up again in "Frasier", in 7x01 "Momma Mia" and 9x02 "Don Juan in Hell pt. 2", although there she's played by Rita Wilson and is dead (she shows up in photographs and hallucinations).

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Nov 3, 2018

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Okay, how about SBE #90: Colonization?

Do you mean the fishcorn bushes thing? That's playing off something that was pretty common in 80's Thanksgiving history lessons, that Native Americans taught Pilgrims how to fertilize their crops with fish. Which wasn't true, but they're parodying that 80's/90's trope, rather than the Native Americans themselves.

I will not stand idly by while Homestar Runner is besmirched goddammit

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Depressio111117 posted:

Do you mean the fishcorn bushes thing? That's playing off something that was pretty common in 80's Thanksgiving history lessons, that Native Americans taught Pilgrims how to fertilize their crops with fish. Which wasn't true, but they're parodying that 80's/90's trope, rather than the Native Americans themselves.

I was thinking more Bubs in stereotypical Native American regalia and the offhand comments about trouble with the native population, but sure.

quote:

I will not stand idly by while Homestar Runner is besmirched goddammit

People are welcome to watch these and come to their own conclusions. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT4SGdq0ZyU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy3UV9BmLJs

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a curious example of an attempted spin-off / pilot embedded within another show, which came to mind once The Sopranos was mentioned. In one of the later seasons of The Rockford Files, David Chase wrote an episode in which Jim Rockford met a family of New Jersey mobsters with the intention that they would have their own show.

Nothing came of it, but nearly 20 years later, Chase was able to get The Sopranos made. Obviously it's an idea he was attached to!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's a curious example of an attempted spin-off / pilot embedded within another show, which came to mind once The Sopranos was mentioned. In one of the later seasons of The Rockford Files, David Chase wrote an episode in which Jim Rockford met a family of New Jersey mobsters with the intention that they would have their own show.

Nothing came of it, but nearly 20 years later, Chase was able to get The Sopranos made. Obviously it's an idea he was attached to!

Woah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I was thinking more Bubs in stereotypical Native American regalia and the offhand comments about trouble with the native population, but sure.

People are welcome to watch these and come to their own conclusions. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT4SGdq0ZyU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy3UV9BmLJs

The native population was a tire. Frankly, I can’t think of a single way they could have made that bit more problematic (but also yeah the outfit, jeez.)

The children’s book seemed fine though. Is “whatshername looks like a dude” transphobic? It didn’t register that way to me but I can see how it might.