Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Endgame question: The trains are usable again at some point right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sedisp posted:

Endgame question: The trains are usable again at some point right?

Yes.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

BobKnob posted:

I had the encounter with the O'Driscols vs. Father and two sons. I helped kill those O'Driscol bastards, but nothing really happened afterward. They mostly bitched about building a house being a dumb idea and I could only antagonize them and that didn't do anything either. I thought they had some kind of wood fetch mission or something.

I accidentally shot the old man when I was still trying to figure out the controls...had to kill the kids too because witnesses...There wasn't any O'Driscols at the time though. They all came back a couple of chapters later and the 2nd time the O'Driscols were attacking them.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Bumped into a dude at a saloon in Valentine, and he challenged me to a duel. Turns out he was drunk as gently caress and just fell asleep outside after he staggered around a bit.

Then I rode out towards the camp, and then bam, heard people talking about ambushing, and it was them DAMNED O'DRISCOLLS. Snuck up behind one dude and knifed him in the neck, and then lobbed a piece of dynamite into the campfire. Big boom, everything on fire, and no honor lost. Worth it for "WHAT THE SHI*WHABOOM* moment :3:

Finally killed that goddamn elk for the trinket. Turns out a legendary elk can take 4 or 5 shotgun slugs to the head before they die :catstare:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It took two headshots with my Springfield just to wear him out. Sorry elk guy, if you weren't so tough you wouldn't be laying here freaking out.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
How does the law figure out who I am when I do crimes? I did my first solo train robbery last night, put my mask on up the tracks as the train left the station, took the cab and parked it on a bridge. I was alone in one of the storage carriages and the indicate starts saying they are looking for Arthur.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I got hit by a bug and lost my legendary elk pelt and the horn. I rode around with the pelt on the back of my horse for like 5 hours while gathering stuff and somewhere along the way the pelt turned from "Legendary Elk Pelt" to just "Pelt" and I couldn't sell it to either trapper. So now the Elk is dead and I didn't get the materials, I checked their inventories and it did not get added automatically, it just disappeared. So don't ride around for too long with a legendary pelt on the back of your horse I guess.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Hey I'll ask this again since the duel controls came up recently.

I use L1/R1 for aiming/shooting. Do I just not get the option to use that hovering function at all?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Trapper question: if I sell him a perfect non-legend pelt, does it get added to his inventory or whatever to be used in his crafting? Or do I need to bring that to him every time?

Edit: vvvv thanks!

Hobo Clown fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 3, 2018

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Gets added to his inventory to be used whenever.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's a good weapon to buy (or find?) in chapter 2?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

BizarroAzrael posted:

How does the law figure out who I am when I do crimes? I did my first solo train robbery last night, put my mask on up the tracks as the train left the station, took the cab and parked it on a bridge. I was alone in one of the storage carriages and the indicate starts saying they are looking for Arthur.

Train guards seem to count as law enforcement, and law enforcement can see through masks. It's still really weird you get a bounty right away imo. I feel like instead it should pop when the train is supposed to hit the next station and doesn't show up or something.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Man the conclusion is great. written well

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

PirateBob posted:

Just don't miss out on getting the Rare Rolling Block Rifle. Apparently its only available in 1 mission in Chapter 3

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

PirateBob posted:

Springfield rifle. Let's you one shot (most of the time) most dudes and bigger game until you get the Rolling Block.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Thanks guys.

Is there really no poker game to be found in Saint Denis? I checked both saloons.

Only poker game I've found is a lame $2.50 stake one in Valentine.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I'm well into Chapter 3 and the double barreled shotgun is still my primary. Upgrading it with the long barrel and rifling then loading it with slugs essentially makes it into a stopping rifle.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat Arthur can be a cold hearted bastard

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

PirateBob posted:

Thanks guys.

Is there really no poker game to be found in Saint Denis? I checked both saloons.

There Is a 5.00 one in the northern saloon in San Denis. They really dropped the ball on poker in this one and it's a giant waste of time.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

PirateBob posted:

Thanks guys.

The main saloon has a $5 table.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

There Is a 5.00 one in the northern saloon in San Denis. They really dropped the ball on poker in this one and it's a giant waste of time.

Bah. They should have $100 games. :D

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I'm well into Chapter 3 and the double barreled shotgun is still my primary. Upgrading it with the long barrel and rifling then loading it with slugs essentially makes it into a stopping rifle.

I was using this until I ended up being attacked by an ambush of swamp people, they are armed with one hit KO knives.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

It's a shame the Gunslingers guns aren't any better than just an upgraded cattleman gun. Flaco's looks so loving cool though. I tried using Billy Midnight's golden gun but keep coming back to my trusty ol' Schofield.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I think my favourite part of this game are the stranger missions that are just 'Arthur makes a friend' Like the Hamish or Charlotte missions. The strength of RDR over GTA is that it actually manages to be sincere sometimes. (or at least I hope, not sure if i've reached the end of those questlines yet)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

BobKnob posted:

I had the encounter with the O'Driscols vs. Father and two sons. I helped kill those O'Driscol bastards, but nothing really happened afterward. They mostly bitched about building a house being a dumb idea and I could only antagonize them and that didn't do anything either. I thought they had some kind of wood fetch mission or something.

Keep going back there every once in a while.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
These guys actually played the game with "high honour?" As if that's even possible, and they discuss what the experience was vs playing the game properly and I found that really interesting. Helps to explain why so often I struggled with getting away with defending myself and why so many things escalated so quickly all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NRGtiqiyVk&t=302s

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

BizarroAzrael posted:

Basically if any lawman sees your face or gets within range of you with a mask on, you're identified. And the range is stupidly large.

I shot a stranger who pulled his gun on me during a robbery and a carriage maybe 20 feet away just happened to have two lawmen on it out of sheer bad luck, so I immediately shot both of them from where I was. The second I shot the first one, I had a bounty because the second one saw it happen. Shot him a half second later, but it didn't matter. He "saw" Arthur therefore the entire loving county knew it happened somehow.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzWQOVCm4Ts&t=323s

This video does a pretty good job explaining the witness/bounty system and demonstrating how things work. Seems there's a slight bug with the witness icons.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Okay, I just saw an eagle kill a rabbit, pick it up, and fly away (slower than usual). Shot it out of the sky with my varmint rifle, and got to pick up both the eagle and the rabbit.

I find myself marveling at little details like this in almost equal measure as those where I’m frustrated by some aspect of the game design.

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
I've seen an eagle/hawk (not sure which) pick up a snake and carry it off. Didn't think to shoot it. Seemed to be earning its keep in a respectable fashion.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Yeah, I've seen one pluck a fish out a river as I was riding past.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Another good tip is when you're out in the bayou: if you see anyone with facepaint, just murder them. It's usually a trap of sorts that'll spawn dozens of crazies who rush at you with knives and usually insta-kill you. Just kill them all, you're doing the world a favor.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jimbot posted:

Another good tip is when you're out in the bayou: if you see anyone with facepaint, just murder them. It's usually a trap of sorts that'll spawn dozens of crazies who rush at you with knives and usually insta-kill you. Just kill them all, you're doing the world a favor.

careful your bigotry against juggalos is showing

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Where are the father and the sons located

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Shotguns are reallly good in this game.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Panzeh posted:

Shotguns are reallly good in this game.

Agreed. Video game shotguns that fart out pellets in a giant cone are a peeve of mine and this game makes them feel really good.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

CharlestonJew posted:

careful your bigotry against juggalos is showing

If there was an option to offer them Faygo as a peace offering for safe passage, I would do it.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 3, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Section Z posted:

The fact that "It's too hot/cold, I should take off/put on a coat!" is forbidden without an entire outfit dedicated to it, is why I've slapped together two outfits based around toggling my gloves for Average/Hot and Cold/Average.

This idea came alongside realizing there does not appear to be any way to know the warmth rating of individual items of clothing while shopping that I can see? Only full outfits show their overall warmth rating in stores as far as I can manage, while wardrobes will tell you if they are slightly warm or whatever.

"Why am I suddenly 'too hot'? I bought fingerless gloves that didn't say anything about warmth... Oh. oooooooh."

Yeah I don’t get it either. I put together a fancy boy outfit that’s just a shirt and vest but the game warns me that I don’t have a hot weather outfit when I go out of the camp. However the default hot weather gunslinger outfit has a jacket?? I guess that must be one hot vest

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

the_american_dream posted:

Where are the father and the sons located

Right outside of Valentine. If you look for smoke you should be able to find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

PirateBob posted:

I found a schofield in chapter 2 in the back room you can rob in the doctor shop. It’s in a little box on the table iirc