Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Zaa Boogie posted:

Right outside of Valentine. If you look for smoke you should be able to find them.

Thanks. Not sure why it took me 3 chapters to actually get in my exploration bag but it’s a lot of great scenes to happen upon with no indicator anything would be there at all

Anything new to the incestual farming couple after you first meet them? Or is that it? I was so freaked after dinner I just left. Probably missed a lot of good loot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Having to do a full reinstall since this game will not stop crashing, even when I transferred the install data to an external SSD. I guess after that I need to reset the entire system but I have my doubts that either method will solve this problem.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

the_american_dream posted:

Anything new to the incestual farming couple after you first meet them? Or is that it? I was so freaked after dinner I just left. Probably missed a lot of good loot

Did you drink with them? Cuz you really need to sit down and keep drinking with them.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Just spent like 2 hours just riding around and exploring. Managed to stumble on that white Arabian horse and managed to capture it. Feels good. Then I capped it off by going on a fishing trip with Hosea and Dutch.
This game is gorgeous by the way. The different settings just ooze atmosphere. Misty forests, dry land where the dust blows up, snowy mountains or swamps, everything is so detailed and nice.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Had my first encounter with a panther. I was in Lemoyne at night near that plantation. I keep the minimap off but had tapped it on to make sure I was headed in the right direction, when I see a red dot nearby. I turn on eagle eye and see a big cat bounding straight for me. Fortunately I already had Billy Midnight's gun equipped with high velocity rounds so I dropped it in one shot right as it was about to pounce. I need a perfect pelt for a satchel so now I have to hunt one.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I found that it’s much easier to get perfect pelts after I realized that I can just track down a pristine animal that I shot and didn’t kill right away—90% of the time it will bleed out pretty quickly and I won’t have to ruin the pelt by shooting it again (one-shotting the animal with the appropriate weapon is obviously preferred, but I’m not a great shot and this method saves a lot of frustration)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Walking/riding on mountains is a little awkward but when a horse rolls down a hill it's always funny.

poo poo, when you roll down a hill it's always funny. Arthur Morgan also does that thing where he slowly rolls around while yelling.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Braincloud posted:

Did you drink with them? Cuz you really need to sit down and keep drinking with them.

I drank with them and left after one :/

I really think I’m going to load up my chapter 2 save. I’m in no rush to finish anyway

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Every single encounter I've had with Murfrees has been creepy as hell.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Braincloud posted:

i like how that whole thing played out, for me at least, didn't feel scripted because a few hours before i sat at a camp with a dude who was telling me how trusting his gut got him out of trouble and told me about a pig farm couple that were way too friendly, it was while i was on my way to the various gunslingers that i run into the house and it was like ooooh. still went in and did everything. was hoping for some extra convos when you wake up and wander back to the house but i forgot to check with l2.

felt really natural. same with the finding a woman whos horse had fell on her so i give her a lift back home and go through the hills [spoiler]and she gets shot to poo poo by the inbred hillbillies when they ambushed us with the flaming coach, i then chased one back up the hill and holy poo poo led me to their main outpost in which i wiped those fucks off the planet.

good game.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

This game gets way more enjoyable when you just lean into being a robbin’ rootin’ tootin’ scoundrel, and stop caring about bounties or honor.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea and it’s cool how Arthur’s personality allows for that

Like someone posted earlier, in rdr it’s clear Marston was an EX con.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

super macho dude posted:

Springfield rifle. Let's you one shot (most of the time) most dudes and bigger game until you get the Rolling Block.

I didn't like the springfield at first because I found the firing speed kind of punishing; if you miss a shot you're sitting there with your thumb up your rear end until the next one's ready. But then I realized, as you say, that it one-shots most dudes even if you hit them in the body so now I just snap-and-shoot with the springfield as my main mid-long distance weapon and don't even bother going for headshots anymore.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Ytlaya posted:

poo poo, when you roll down a hill it's always funny. Arthur Morgan also does that thing where he slowly rolls around while yelling.

I was walking on a hill and kicked some loose stones. They slid down and tripped my horse, it was hilarious and sad at the same time.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Chapter 4 Reverend Swanson spoilers:

The loving swamp ghost he sees is real. You can see it late at night in the swamps and it's terrifying.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I'd like you to take my portrait please sir.:haw:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of wish the honor system would let you avoid some potential witness type things.

For example, I just ran across a random encounter of a woman being hurt on the side of the road. Except when I stopped, she turned out to be faking it and tried to rob me with 2 of her buddies who rode up on horseback. After killing and looting all three of them, I was just about to ride off when someone rode up on me and I got the witness alert. I was able to stop him but he decided to pull a gun on me, so he had to die too.

But I kind of wish that in a situation like that, your honor would come into play and the witness would give you a pass or whatever.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Fart City posted:

This game gets way more enjoyable when you just lean into being a robbin’ rootin’ tootin’ scoundrel, and stop caring about bounties or honor.
Honor lets me buy the outfits I need to make my Man in Black costume :colbert: (which is kind of ironic, now that I think about it)

A few other screenshots:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Has there been any talk of date or content regarding Multiplayer? Like, I’m not slighting the game at all. It stands on its own merits as a single player only affair. But it’s interesting we got reviewed/owned games in our possession that have a large MP component that is essentially a mystery.

I’m just super curious what’s on offer.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Watched some videos about RDR2 and learned that high honor gate keeps the following:

-Around 6-8 outfits, in two parts.
-A mission
-Up to 50% off at stores.
-Higher quality random loot from enemies
-Hero pearl grip for the Cattleman revolver.

Apparently there's like 5 ''levels.''

Not much info on negative honor, but there's an ivory grip for the double barrel shotgun.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
In other news, I’m on PS4 Pro and every now and again I get like a full screen texture blip/flash. I’m sure it’s just open world game jank, but curious if anyone else has seen/heard of this.

(I mean like, once every couple hours, for a single frame. It’s minor...)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ravenkult posted:

Watched some videos about RDR2 and learned that high honor gate keeps the following:

-Around 6-8 outfits, in two parts.
-A mission
-Up to 50% off at stores.
-Higher quality random loot from enemies
-Hero pearl grip for the Cattleman revolver.

Apparently there's like 5 ''levels.''

Not much info on negative honor, but there's an ivory grip for the double barrel shotgun.

Lower honor you get to commit crimes freely and also I think you loot more stuff or more valuable stuff from kills

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress me the epilogue is looking like it's going to be as long as the actual story, it's insane.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

TMMadman posted:

I kind of wish the honor system would let you avoid some potential witness type things.

For example, I just ran across a random encounter of a woman being hurt on the side of the road. Except when I stopped, she turned out to be faking it and tried to rob me with 2 of her buddies who rode up on horseback. After killing and looting all three of them, I was just about to ride off when someone rode up on me and I got the witness alert. I was able to stop him but he decided to pull a gun on me, so he had to die too.

But I kind of wish that in a situation like that, your honor would come into play and the witness would give you a pass or whatever.

Post game it does work more like this. All of you are forgetting the narrative you are the most wanted people alive the entire country is looking for you, you yell at dutch for this same behavior. Even if tou pay off your bounty during the story the heat is much more intense and people treat you like an outlaw on site generally because you are notorious. The dialog backs this up multiple times. Post game i dont want to say it works as it should all the time but all that constant bounty bullshit isnt nearly as bad. I can choke a motherfucker unprovoked in the middle of town people just tell me to cut it out.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Saw a gravestone last night in new austin that said "lived everyday like it was her last especially this one" lol

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Aphex- posted:

gently caress me the epilogue is looking like it's going to be as long as the actual story, it's insane.

question about the epilogue I've vaguely heard about and trying to keep spoiler free from it but should i finish rdr1 before i get the epilogue if i haven't played rdr1 before? I've heard some vague poo poo about it last week so a yes or no would be nice! trying to figure out if the game is pure prequel or not

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Lower honor you get to commit crimes freely and also I think you loot more stuff or more valuable stuff from kills

I commit crimes freely all the time but still have high honour because im not a complete jerk. it's annoying.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Finally got the companion app to connect to my XBonX. Guess unlinking and relinking my Live account was the trick. And I guess getting rid of the Games for Windows Live didn't hurt.

It's pretty neat. The map works exactly like it does in game so when any sound blips pop up it'll show on there as well. You can even set waypoints and markers or condense it down to the size of a compass instead if you don't want the entire map showing.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Vikar Jerome posted:

question about the epilogue I've vaguely heard about and trying to keep spoiler free from it but should i finish rdr1 before i get the epilogue if i haven't played rdr1 before? I've heard some vague poo poo about it last week so a yes or no would be nice! trying to figure out if the game is pure prequel or not

Spoiler free - yes probably. A bit more info below which depending on how you look at it could be a spoiler.

I'm only a couple of hours into epilogue part 2 but basically you get the whole of New Austin to explore, so basically all of the American part of RDR1. Having played the first one it is extremely cool to see it realised again in this game. I don't know how many if any of the first games characters are there but the world alone is worth it.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Shooting horse will fix that. I get a lot of gold nuggets from saddle bags. Ive been trying to figure out a way to drop them so you can reach both bags its freakin impossible but it's a -10 hit per horse i think.

E: poo poo meant to reply to hemale

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I don’t get it either. I put together a fancy boy outfit that’s just a shirt and vest but the game warns me that I don’t have a hot weather outfit when I go out of the camp. However the default hot weather gunslinger outfit has a jacket?? I guess that must be one hot vest

It pops that warning if you don't have hot or cold outfits saved to the saddle iirc

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

esperterra posted:

It pops that warning if you don't have hot or cold outfits saved to the saddle iirc

Right, my shirt-and-vest outfit was one of the three I had saved to the saddle; I had designed it thinking that surely a light and breezy outfit like that would be suitable for heat but :shrug:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

DogonCrook posted:

Saw a gravestone last night in new austin that said "lived everyday like it was her last especially this one" lol

Saw one that said

She killed herself
and others

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
How are we all not talking about tiny church

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Why does Arthur sometimes write the names of plants in his journal and sometimes he just draws them? Is there a system I'm not getting?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

shut up blegum posted:

Why does Arthur sometimes write the names of plants in his journal and sometimes he just draws them? Is there a system I'm not getting?

some days the muse turns up, some days she doesnt. :shrug:

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Aphex- posted:

Spoiler free - yes probably. A bit more info below which depending on how you look at it could be a spoiler.

I'm only a couple of hours into epilogue part 2 but basically you get the whole of New Austin to explore, so basically all of the American part of RDR1. Having played the first one it is extremely cool to see it realised again in this game. I don't know how many if any of the first games characters are there but the world alone is worth it.

Theres little easter eggs or cheat codes in a lot of the buildings where things happened in rdr1 its pretty cool. They arent really references but its neat.

E: oh and dont get in that river near mexico it instantly drains your stamina if you swim in it.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 3, 2018

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Oh man split bullets you have to press x and watch an animation for each loving bullet..

Ive got like 2000 goddamned bullets. In game time this would probably take a week because lol when it comes to tedious poo poo it has to be real life but the day is like 30 mins long and you have to eat 10 meals or you lose weight.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Calaveron posted:

It's not quite so cut and dried.

"Honor 1: When you loot bodies the drop rate is improved so you’ll find more tonics, jewelry and food.
Honor -1: When you loot dead bodies the drop rate is increased for the following items; Dead-Eye tonic, thrown weapons, alcohol and tobacco. There’s also a chance of more money and jewelry from dead lawmen."

And that's not even counting all the other stuff you get at higher honor or the fact there's nothing below -1 Honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

DogonCrook posted:

Oh man split bullets you have to press x and watch an animation for each loving bullet..

Ive got like 2000 goddamned bullets. In game time this would probably take a week because lol when it comes to tedious poo poo it has to be real life but the day is like 30 mins long and you have to eat 10 meals or you lose weight.

I read way earlier in either this thread or Reddit about how split bullets cost nothing and were way better than normal bullets so I thought "oh cool I'll make those" and saw the 1 animation = 1 bullet thing and immediately stopped. gently caress that, they ain't that good.