Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

So I stopped watching during the midseason break, but just burned through all of last season and the first two for this season. This show is so Venture Bros. It's amazing.

When I was a kid, Don Karnage was one of my favorite characters in anything. I was even him for Halloween one year. I was nuts about all that Indiana Jones, Tales of the Gold Monkey stuff, so Talespin was like tailor-made for me. My parents even used to take me to Banana Republic all the time because I loved it so much.

I understand the change, and while I love the old Karnage, getting Rogelio de la Vega to voice him is pretty much perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

MichiganCubbie posted:

getting Rogelio de la Vega to voice him is pretty much perfect.

Honestly that, more than anything, is what sold me on him.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Xelkelvos posted:

So which which relative are they gonna pull out to parallel to Dewey because I wanna see what unshown epic adventure Launchpad goes on for his trifecta.

Donald is Dewey's parallel. They both wear blue, and they both love adventure, but ultimately Donald decided that providing a stable life for his family was more important than constantly chasing after excitement (even though that's what he's best at). He's a more mature Dewey who has learned to put others needs before his.

Gladstone = Louie
Fethry = Huey
Donald = Dewey

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Donald wears black tyvm

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Xelkelvos posted:

Donald wears black tyvm

He wears blue sometimes.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
He also wore blue in this show's past. Wasn't there a photo of him in his blues with Della in some episode?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, Huey burned his traditional blue sailor suit in the pilot and Glomgold gave him a black one.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I thought Donald was always in blue, like even back in the Disney shorts from the 30s. I thought the black was a limitation/cheaper alternative for printing comics at the time

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Aces High posted:

I thought Donald was always in blue, like even back in the Disney shorts from the 30s. I thought the black was a limitation/cheaper alternative for printing comics at the time

Donald is practically known as wearing blue when he's in his sailor outfit but in the Ducktales comics, it's black instead.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Xelkelvos posted:

Donald is practically known as wearing blue when he's in his sailor outfit but in the Ducktales comics, it's black instead.

Misread a statement as a queries, disregard. But direct you to look up why Hulk is green for a possible indication of why he wasn't in blue in the comics.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Teaser for the next episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uftw9xvbCx8

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bout drat time they finally showed up.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I’m not huge on Jose’s voice but

Saludos, Amigos!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sockser posted:

I’m not huge on Jose’s voice but

Saludos, Amigos!

I’m a little surprised they didn’t just carry over Jamie Camil and Eric Bauza from the Three Caballeros show, but I guess they wanted new voices because they already play Karnage and the Beagle Boys, respectively on DuckTales.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I’m a little surprised they didn’t just carry over Jamie Camil and Eric Bauza from the Three Caballeros show, but I guess they wanted new voices because they already play Karnage and the Beagle Boys, respectively on DuckTales.

One of the crew members said they wanted somone actually from the countries the character is supposed to be from. I can't remember who it was, but it was on his Tumblr. He said that's what'll happen to these characters too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

One of the crew members said they wanted somone actually from the countries the character is supposed to be from. I can't remember who it was, but it was on his Tumblr. He said that's what'll happen to these characters too.

Jamie Camil is Mexican :eng99:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Basically all we need now is Goofy showing up an reminiscing about those multiverse adventures they went on with "that nice boy".

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ah yes the well known Englishwoman Magica DeSpell and Scotsman Flintheart Glomgold.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Fellbat posted:

Ah yes the well known Englishwoman Magica DeSpell and Scotsman Flintheart Glomgold.

Eh, I understand not going Afrikaner for Glomgold considering the history of the character and everything, and Catherine Tate is amazing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah I think the current iteration of Glomgold is also Scots.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah I think the current iteration of Glomgold is also Scots.

Scottish with an asterisk. The production team seems to go back and forth on whether he's a real Scotsman or pretending to be one to cash in on Scrooge's image.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ThermoPhysical posted:

From Frank Argones, co-showrunner:

quote:

Q:So how come you guys could get Jim Cummings to reprise his role as Darkwing Duck and NOT Don Karnage?

A:Because we are a globetrotting show, our casting ethos on DuckTales has traditionally been whenever we encounter someone of a different nationality, we try to cast someone who is actually of that nationality (see Toad Liu Hai, Sabaf from Toth-Ra, etc.)

Jim is a drat legend. I hopefully don’t have to point out by now how much I love Jim and his repertoire of characters. He’s incredible in everything he does and you will be seeing A LOT more of him from us in the future. But for this particular role, it seemed like an opportunity to bring a new actor in to play. And if you’ve seen Jaime in anything, you know he is a delight, bringing his own lovable brand of egomaniacal machismo to the role.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Am I mis-remembering in thinking that, while DT2017 can use shows from Disney Afternoon, they can't use Chip and Dale due to a future movie thing or?

nine-gear crow posted:

Jamie Camil is Mexican :eng99:

I think they're going off of what Jim Cummings himself said which is that Don Karnage is from around Cuba and Spain...but...yeah.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

From Frank Argones, co-showrunner:

Thanks! :D

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

No problem! Frank's Tumblr is https://suspendersofdisbelief.tumblr.com and there's a ton of cool behind-the-scenes tidbits about the show in there.

For instance, regarding Magica's casting:

quote:

Q: really like the new Magica but why did you guys change her accent?

A: 1) How can you possibly try to imitate the inimitable June Foray? The Eastern European take on Magica was a hundred percent her, and trying to imitate that exact sound felt like a doomed prospect from the start.

2) We played around with an Italian accent (referencing her original base of operations on Mt. Vesuvius), going for an Isabella Rossellini vibe. But every variation of that accent we tried (and trust me, we TRIED A LOT), when paired with Magica’s fun, maniacal energy, made her feel like a broad Italian stereotype. Like an evil pizza chef.

3) So, as with all things, we went back to Barks’ original conception of her and her very first appearance in “The Midas Touch.” We realized she was only really written with a pronounced accent when disguising herself to trick Scrooge. And while Barks had referenced Italian actresses like Gina Lollobrigida for Magica, he was also influenced by Morticia Addams. We’d seen a lot of the other references before, so we thought it would be fun to explore that other influence.

4) One of the hardest parts of casting this show is finding performers who feel like they can believably threaten David Tennant’s audacious, overconfident, nuanced Scrooge and really put him in his place. We also knew we wanted to explore Magica’s relationship with Lena as a kind of reflection of Scrooge’s relationship with the kids. So we needed a performer as good as David Tennant who could also credibly scare David Tennant. When we hit upon Catherine Tate, it was a no-brainer. She’s SO FREAKING GOOD and funny and menacing and precise and unhinged all at the exact same time. I can’t wait for you guys to see more of her.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

For instance, regarding Magica's casting:

Morticia Addams? Now I'm imagining Anjelica Hudson as Magica. :-(

nine-gear crow posted:

Scottish with an asterisk. The production team seems to go back and forth on whether he's a real Scotsman or pretending to be one to cash in on Scrooge's image.

No True Scotsduck?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Am I mis-remembering in thinking that, while DT2017 can use shows from Disney Afternoon, they can't use Chip and Dale due to a future movie thing or?

I think they're going off of what Jim Cummings himself said which is that Don Karnage is from around Cuba and Spain...but...yeah.

Thanks! :D

Yeah, there's apparently a Rescue Rangers movie or something probably in development hell, so that's off the table. And funnily enough they might be able to use the (cartoon) Mighty Ducks, except that the team leader is still used by the real-world team as a mascot, so there might be licensing issues there. And the suits apparently vetoed every script that involved Mickey, so the team seems to be assuming he's off the table. But anything goes for the rest.

I figured with Magica that a Doctor Who reunion was too good to pass up. Catherine Tate was pretty good as a companion who wasn't the stereotypical young woman and who'd call the Doctor on his poo poo.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Anything that helps me get past the inescapable awfulness of Tate's TV show. Not a fan of Dr Who but that didn't force itself into my awareness like "Am I bothered" to force me to wonder why someone was copying Little Britain after everyone was sick of Little Britain.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Well, they addressed the South African thing.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

When Cousin Fethry was saying "wait, how do I become a scientist?" I was thinking "step 1. go to college and get a degree" so when Glomgold gave his presentation involving building robot fish "after we go to community college and get our engineering degrees" it was great

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Actual duck in a top hat!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

nine-gear crow posted:

Well we now have a real answer on this.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm so ready for a Boer, boor, bore, boar, Borr, bower joke.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Huh, I vaguely knew about the South African origin, but I am impressed how well this show manages to retcon and reconnect everything, so that all origins are somewhat true without contradicting each other. Other examples include Scrooges extended life due to demon magic, which explains how he would be old enough to have been in the gold rush.

Seriously though, screw Scrooge. No matter how you cut it, he was shortchanging a poor boy who was in the same situation as himself, while also stroking his own ego. That's basically like "tipping" a waiter by saying "Try to get a real job!" Boasting that you're the richest man in the world doesn't make that situation better either. Duke's action was justified. :colbert:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

cant cook creole bream posted:

Seriously though, screw Scrooge. No matter how you cut it, he was shortchanging a poor boy who was in the same situation as himself, while also stroking his own ego. That's basically like "tipping" a waiter by saying "Try to get a real job!" Boasting that you're the richest man in the world doesn't make that situation better either. Duke's action was justified. :colbert:

Scrooge is the cause of, and solution, to all of his own problems. If he had just paid Duke his regular fee, he wouldn't have a foe. He thought he really was being a good guy, like he saw himself in Duke and wanted him to follow in his footsteps, but what worked for Scrooge wouldn't necessarily work for others.

The fact that Flinty is the world's second richest duck despite his cockamamie tendencies (Scrooge had a point about him just selling the diamonds) is a credit to his dogged determination.

Also, this subtle bit from Webby was one of my favorite character animation bits. It's a perfect "Huh, well, you do have a point."

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 4, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Scrooge was trying to do for Duke what his dad did for him. The point of the dime was to teach Scrooge both the value of hard work and the fact that sometimes people will just con you by giving you American currency in Scotland.

It was a poorly planned fatherly gesture that assumed Duke was just as foolish and dimwitted as Scrooge was as a boy, but wound up both teaching him the worthlessness of being friendly AND how you can get further, faster playing dirty than you can square. The nega-version of Scrooge's bootstraps story.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I think it's neat they ended up going with the South African background. It's tremendously touchy given the history of colonialism and exploitation and I'm interested to see how they work with it in the future. Not doing it at all would've been the safe route, so there must be a lot of consideration put into tackling it.

Or they could never address it again! :v:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Das Boo posted:

I think it's neat they ended up going with the South African background. It's tremendously touchy given the history of colonialism and exploitation and I'm interested to see how they work with it in the future. Not doing it at all would've been the safe route, so there must be a lot of consideration put into tackling it.

Or they could never address it again! :v:

Yeah I doubt they'll ever do as deep a dive into Glomgold's origins as they did in this episode, unless it's after he left South Africa. It'd be tough and probably offensive to focus too much on South Africa in that era without addressing Apartheid, and I can't imagine this Disney Channel show would want to do an Apartheid episode.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I know they wouldn't go deep into it, but I'd be interested into see how they'd work with/around it. I'm already a little surprised they brought up the diamond trade. Just stuff like that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Scrooge was trying to do for Duke what his dad did for him. The point of the dime was to teach Scrooge both the value of hard work and the fact that sometimes people will just con you by giving you American currency in Scotland.

It was a poorly planned fatherly gesture that assumed Duke was just as foolish and dimwitted as Scrooge was as a boy, but wound up both teaching him the worthlessness of being friendly AND how you can get further, faster playing dirty than you can square. The nega-version of Scrooge's bootstraps story.

Kinda ties in with a theme that Scrooge isn't a very good role model or family man, what with him having spent an entire season and change (haw haw) learning to get along with his own nephews (and honorary niece) and reconciling with Donald. And he's not particularly good at interacting with the public a lot of the time either. He can be a savvy negotiator, skilled businessman, and a surprisingly good boss who understands the value of good help and how to keep extreme personalities under control, but frequently clumsy and selfish when it comes to his personal life, hence why he's spent so much of his life alone.

When we saw Duke's black beard I thought his usual false beard had been dyed black by squid ink, but it was actually real, huh. His age is all just part of his fake persona along with his nationality, but he's kinda at the point where Glomgold considers it to be for all intents and purposes his true identity.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh wow, Scrooge tried to give young Glomgold his number one dime. That's actually a super nice gesture. Of course, nice gestures are meaningless and sometimes even insulting if the other person doesn't actually understand what's nice about them; and that's how Scrooge's inability to understand the emotions of others or properly communicate his own feelings ended up creating a lifelong mortal enemy.