Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Question for those of you also playing stoneblock: Why does the quest book ask you to make solar panels for power generation when you are in a massive tomb of stone stretching from max world height to the void. I cheated one in to be sure, and unless I'm a moron they need to see the sky.

Edit: also if anyone else is having problems with moving items with the scroll wheel go to Mod Options, search for "Simple Inventory sorting", click config and disable "Mouse-wheel movement". There are 2 mods that add mouse wheel movement and turning this one off solves the conflict.

BadMedic fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

BadMedic posted:

Question for those of you also playing stoneblock: Why does the quest book ask you to make solar panels for power generation when you are in a massive tomb of stone stretching from max world height to the void. I cheated one in to be sure, and unless I'm a moron they need to see the sky.

There are other dimensions, like the mining dimension, where the sky is normally visible.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
I guess so, but that's not mentioned in the quest book, it just tells you to make solar panels from 2 different mods without any explanation.

(Honestly the quest book in stoneblock is a bit poo poo)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You'd be hard-pressed to find a good quest book that doesn't eventually devolve into 'make this because it's what other modpacks do'

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005
Watch one of Stomp the Bean's videos of Stoneblock. He mines up to clear sky. Also shameless plug for his channel, I like him.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

BadMedic posted:

I guess so, but that's not mentioned in the quest book, it just tells you to make solar panels from 2 different mods without any explanation.

(Honestly the quest book in stoneblock is a bit poo poo)

The quest book for Stoneblock isn't really that useful. It gets you out of the early game, and then the mod pack is basically kitchen sink, but a skyblock, but without the building of platforms.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The quest book for Stoneblock isn't really that useful. It gets you out of the early game, and then the mod pack is basically kitchen sink, but a skyblock, but without the building of platforms.
Yeah once I realized it was a kitchen sink I enjoyed it more. I wound up grinding a shitload of chickens up to 10/10/10 and exporting their products to a drawer array which I hooked into Refined Storage so that I could relatively easily start producing seeds, at which point I stepped back and said "wait what the hell do I need these seeds for in the first place" - the only things they give me that I can't get with chickens are like, plastic, or wither heads.

I'm also sitting at a point in it where I don't really know what to do now. I have never made the rainbow generator before but I kinda don't want to, as my standard gas-burning Mekanism setup has given me enough power to do whatever I want whenever. I might just go ahead and automate all my solar panels for the poo poo of it, and I guess I should open up the mining dimension or the deep dark just so I can open some chance cubes?

Actually, gently caress it. I might make some tiny machines and use them for chance cubes.

Also I have the worst luck with loot rewards. I've got more flasks of magmaskin than I know what to do with and have, on more than twenty occasions, gotten 8 smooth stone and 16 logs. I set an automated loot bag opener on my mob farm and even having like thirty end portal pieces and over a stack of acceleration wands, haven't seen the edible crafting table pop out even once.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

BadMedic posted:

Edit: also if anyone else is having problems with moving items with the scroll wheel go to Mod Options, search for "Simple Inventory sorting", click config and disable "Mouse-wheel movement". There are 2 mods that add mouse wheel movement and turning this one off solves the conflict.

If you dig up then you can expose the sky.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

AceClown posted:

If you dig up then you can expose the sky.

Unironic "Dig UP, stupid"

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.
Forestry’s apiculture never really clicked with me before, but I’m having a decent time with it in Enigmatica 2: expert skyblock. The random chance portion has screwed me over a lot (example: heterozygous Unweary princess and homozygous Unweary drone resulting in all heterozygous offspring over and over again in the span of like 3 generations), but it hasn’t pissed me off enough yet to just cheese it all with gendustry. Not that I haven’t been using gendustry at all. The biome override upgrades are really handy since the closest jungle biome is like 3,000 meters away, and in a skyblock map at that. I guess I could try doing it with forestry’s greenhouse stuff. Anyone have experience using that?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I usually play on servers and am concerned about how things look. Typically I don't move on to the next thing until whatever it is I'm working on looks nice. I decided to play Stoneblock singleplayer, just because, and it's funny how few fucks I give about how things look. I'm just carving out 9x9 rooms, completely ignoring chunk boundaries, and building all kinds of ridiculous monstrosities. Fun poo poo.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can someone explain why you can't dig yourself out of a hole? Ground hogs and meerkats do it literally all the time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Turtlicious posted:

can someone explain why you can't dig yourself out of a hole? Ground hogs and meerkats do it literally all the time.

You could just take dirt off the sides and fill in the hole gradually to get out

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

jack_squat posted:

Forestry’s apiculture never really clicked with me before, but I’m having a decent time with it in Enigmatica 2: expert skyblock. The random chance portion has screwed me over a lot (example: heterozygous Unweary princess and homozygous Unweary drone resulting in all heterozygous offspring over and over again in the span of like 3 generations), but it hasn’t pissed me off enough yet to just cheese it all with gendustry. Not that I haven’t been using gendustry at all. The biome override upgrades are really handy since the closest jungle biome is like 3,000 meters away, and in a skyblock map at that. I guess I could try doing it with forestry’s greenhouse stuff. Anyone have experience using that?

dude you never go full bee

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

BadMedic posted:

I thought it was just my craptastic laptop dropping frame. Thanks!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Install this and optionally this and you'll never have to nerd-pole out of eyebrow deep holes again.

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

dude you never go full bee

It's too late for me :spooky:
But honestly it turns out getting high and breeding bees while listening to podcasts is extremely chill, to me

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

jack_squat posted:

It's too late for me :spooky:
But honestly it turns out getting high and breeding bees while listening to podcasts is extremely chill, to me

If you really insist on it, my advice would be to set up a bunch of apiaries to do crossbreeding in parallel. You can even automate crossbreeding with apiarist pipes, to an extent.
Thankfully you have fertility 3 and 4 available, that's the most important stat to maintain. More drones means more genes means more chances at good results.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It's just dawning on me, the drones have two sets of chromosomes? What the gently caress, this bees-creating-hell-resources mod is completely unrealistic!

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.
Aneuploidy is very normal for me, also

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I'm getting 504 errors trying to use the Curse modpack downloader. Any tricks to fixing that?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Heffer posted:

I'm getting 504 errors trying to use the Curse modpack downloader. Any tricks to fixing that?

curse got bought by twitch, so you have to get the twitch downloader

Or MultiMC and dl the packs from the website

MultiMC is the better option btw

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Stupid question, but what is that block that a lot of people use for flooring that looks like metal grating?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Probably the chisel "factory" blocks. For industrial decoration, chisels "tyrian" and "laboratory" blocks have a lot of industrial/techy variants.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech
So, I wrote a thing about how I'm a ridiculous perfectionist and am never happy with my own work so I threw everything out and am starting over:

http://teamcofh.com/posts/2018/11/02/the-new-thermal-series/

I mean, not quite. But that's kinda what I'm doing. :P Literally just got the Furnace working again.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
As someone recently getting back into modded Minecraft after being gone for years: I'm real hard rn

Also thank you for your stuff in the Stellaris modding scene which is (somehow) a more disorganized clusterfuck than Minecraft but terraforming in particular is a weak point in the base game and your efforts made my games better for sure.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

KingLemming posted:

So, I wrote a thing about how I'm a ridiculous perfectionist and am never happy with my own work so I threw everything out and am starting over:

I mean, not quite. But that's kinda what I'm doing. :P Literally just got the Furnace working again.

How about modularizing the machine API so some nutter can come along and make it possible to represent custom, basic machines for their modpack using a pile of JSON? ;)

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008
A few years back, when 1.7.10 was the version everyone was playing on, I was making this overly ambitious questbook-based modpack about going to the dream world in Witchery and crafting an ender chest (normally not doable in there, but I had other mods) in order to bring stuff from the dream world to the overworld. I think the idea was that the overworld had mainly magic mod stuff but the dream world had exclusive worldgen such as botania flowers and tech metal ores, so that when you linked the waking world and the dream world, you opened up many new avenues of tech and magic progression. Never finished it though.

The reason I used Witchery was that the dream world was really self-contained (you had a separate inventory when visiting it, and you couldn't go to the end or to the nether) and it was fun to come up with a way to break the boundary. Unfortunately, the mod hasn't been updated since 1.7.10. If I were to try making a modpack like that for a more up-to-date MC version such as 1.12.2, what would be a suitable magic mod to use? The most important thing is it having an alternate dimension, self-contained like Witchery's dream world was. A low-tech aesthetic would be nice but is not necessary.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
What's baby's first power generation in Gregblock? I've got my eye on a large bronze boiler fuelled by raw oil, the steam then going into turbines, but I'm not sure if it's overkill for this stage of the game

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Elswyyr posted:

What's baby's first power generation in Gregblock? I've got my eye on a large bronze boiler fuelled by raw oil, the steam then going into turbines, but I'm not sure if it's overkill for this stage of the game

Before I got LV stuff, I started out with high pressure lava boilers. But, yeah, the next thing I did was a large bronze boiler. However, don't fuel it with the raw oil -- process it into Light Fuel. You pipe the raw oil into a distillery and configure it to output sulfuric light fuel. Then, pipe the sulfuric light fuel into a chemical reactor, and react it with hydrogen (made with an electrolyzer and water) to get hydrogen sulfide and light fuel. With 20 witchwater barrels, 2 crucibles, and one of each of those machines I was able to keep a large bronze boiler fed just fine. You'll need to find some way to handle the waste oxygen and hydrogen sulfide, though -- there are fluid garbage bins, or you can save it with cans. Oxygen and hydrogen sulfide are both useful.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

KingLemming posted:

If Quartermastery is the "General Tool / Armor mod," why does Innovation have "If armor ends up being made, it will go here" in it?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

McFrugal posted:

If you really insist on it, my advice would be to set up a bunch of apiaries to do crossbreeding in parallel. You can even automate crossbreeding with apiarist pipes, to an extent.
Thankfully you have fertility 3 and 4 available, that's the most important stat to maintain. More drones means more genes means more chances at good results.
Automating bees is kind of fun to figure out. You can do a whole lot with just plain old pipes.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 3, 2018

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How about modularizing the machine API so some nutter can come along and make it possible to represent custom, basic machines for their modpack using a pile of JSON? ;)

I'm modularizing as much as I feasibly can, but no. I'm better off making a new video game at that point.

Goon Danton posted:

If Quartermastery is the "General Tool / Armor mod," why does Innovation have "If armor ends up being made, it will go here" in it?

Powered Armor. Tech stuff. But I suppose that isn't super clear to people who don't play Thermal Innovation already - it's RF / fluid using stuff, not basic.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What're some good world gen and structures mods to add? Exploration is my favorite part of MC. Mystcraft is a given, but I don't see a whole lot else available.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

Mystcraft is a given

I would not be so caviler about installing Mystcraft. Every time I have tried in the more modern Minecraft it has be an unstable mess. I would suggest the following mods to make a good exploration pack:

-Rogue-like Dungeons
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/roguelike-dungeons

-Doom-like Dungeons
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/project-74246

-The Twilight Forest
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/the-twilight-forest

-Biomes O' Plenty
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/biomes-o-plenty

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Pollyanna posted:

What're some good world gen and structures mods to add? Exploration is my favorite part of MC. Mystcraft is a given, but I don't see a whole lot else available.

If you’re looking specifically for a mod to craft custom dimensions, RFTools and its separate component RFTools Dimensions are what you want.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Now I'm thinking I need a plusplus pack mk 3 or whatever we are at now.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i don't know about twilight forest, it feels very unsatisfying very quickly, especially since it's STILL unfinished

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Another Sigma could be a lot of fun with the new combat mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Trying to make an actual fancy house instead of "dig 3x3 chunk to bedrock, replace sides with nice looking block, add roof"

It's not going well. :/

I mean, I like how it's looking, black chiseled quartz with shiny black glass. Very swanky. It's just not...housey. Like, where does my AE network go? My Mekanism factories? My lithium towers?