Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Switching to first person mode during large fun fights, especially the tobacco burning mission, is extremely rad. It’s gritty as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Looking for info on online and now they are saying its doing a beta test first? Was this always the plan?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DogonCrook posted:

Looking for info on online and now they are saying its doing a beta test first? Was this always the plan?

Yeah when it was announced they said it would first be released as a beta in November. Probably because the servers will burst into flames and the first 6 months will be non-stop connection errors, just like GTA Online.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the compliment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjzEdGhCThc

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

How do you actually deal with lawmen??

It seems like the best answer is: Let yourself be killed.

That feels really bad. But unless its a minor crime and you happen to already be on a horse on your way away from the crime, you're pretty hosed. Fighting the law can only make things infinitely worse.

I guess that's way more realistic than GTA, but man does it feel bad to have a $200 bounty on my head because my horse dared bump into a guy, 20 guys shot my horse and chased me for 30 minutes, and then after I finally gave up and killed them more just showed up.

Bah.

Oh and for good measure all the 5 pristine deer pelts I was on my way to sell are now gone. Goddamn this game sometimes.

If I don't want a bounty I ride away from the law on my horse.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snowy posted:

What do I do when my horse gets spooked?

I was riding along all proud of my new bear hat and ready to sell some pelts when some rear end in a top hat wolves start coming at me. All of a sudden I’m trying to get away but the camera isn’t even behind me anymore and I can barely tell which way to run so I just get caught up in trees and taken down, ending up with getting my rear end ripped up and wolves apparently running off with my hat. Sucks.

If you are getting chased by wolves, hit up on the d pad then fire a few shots into the air to scare them off. Hit L3 to calm your horse.

TescoBag posted:

Okay so funny how this games works sometimes.

So I wrote before about how my Lancaster repeater got deleted from existence. I decided to go hunting to make some money back for it.

I'm on my way back to the trapper, I crest a hill and there is a guy on a horse coming up the other side. We collide in a very exciting 1899 road accident. I have to put all my game back on my bloody horse, what a mess.

What do I see lying next to the dead body of the other guy? A shiny new Lancaster repeater.

Okay thanks game.

Make sure it's not a "worn" weapon or it'll just be temporary and not a permanent rifle.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm doing the shooting and having to manually work the lever action on my rifle is the coolest thing

Especially because you can hold the fire button while you're working the action and hell pause halfway through so you can reload dramatically

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

DrNutt posted:

Yeah when it was announced they said it would first be released as a beta in November. Probably because the servers will burst into flames and the first 6 months will be non-stop connection errors, just like GTA Online.

That makes sense i didnt catch that part so i was wondering if that meanr it was getting pushed back or delayed or something. I expect chaos.

Kinda wondering how done this game is as well. I mean theres not like anything totally glaring except in the gang pages it doesnt even mention the gang in new austin the los lobos or track those stats like the other gangs its almost like they just straight up forgot or didnt get around to it. I mean it doesnt effect anything gameplay wise but its weird.

Also googling around special editions are supposed to get a mission related to them but i didnt get one other than the bounty hunting or i missed it so its extra weird there is no progress tied to them.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Is there a trick to fishing I'm not getting? Seems like I spend 10 minutes reeling, stopping to tire the fish out, quickly reeling again while bringing my rod back, and repeating only for the fish to get free when it's a few feet away. My hands are worn out.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I accidentally killed a dog during a firefight and immediately loaded my previous save cause gently caress if I’m gonna have that on my conscience

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Aight so I get the bow now, and it is amazing.

And I'm decked out in all black, with a black bandana.

And I'm now the Black Bow Bandit.

And I'm coming for your fortune, but will settle for your daughters.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Spent a few hours this evening trying to do generic open world stuff in the postgame and got really aggravated. Tried about 10 times to get the legendary bullgator to spawn, only to get a vague warning that there's too much activity for it to appear ad nauseum.

Things work well enough when the story is there to hold your attention, but this game is way too far up its own rear end in a top hat to be a fun open world gently caress around game when it's through I think. It's actually a step back from the first game in that regard which is really telling.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

No Mods No Masters posted:

Spent a few hours this evening trying to do generic open world stuff in the postgame and got really aggravated. Tried about 10 times to get the legendary bullgator to spawn, only to get a vague warning that there's too much activity for it to appear ad nauseum.

Things work well enough when the story is there to hold your attention, but this game is way too far up its own rear end in a top hat to be a fun open world gently caress around game when it's through I think. It's actually a step back from the first game in that regard which is really telling.

I mean thats as intentional as in gtav they dont want you loving around in single player like theres no radiant quests like bounty hunting. They give you all the money so you can buy anything. They want to punt you into online where they have some shot of you using your credit card again. What they are doing is blatent as hell but was totally expected. These mechanics are not to enhance the single player expeirince its so when you hit online you can barely hold your head above water against homing tomahawks and dynamite arrows (both in game already) with your frail malnourished rear end cutting bullets one by one to have a shot a dropping someone lol

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I have never played a game with fast trAvel where I have cared less about fast travel than I do right now

Riding through the mountains with the cinematic camera on to get the big sweeping views of poo poo is so good

And it really makes it clear how big the world is, and how wild and untamed, and how small you are in comparison

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I'm in chapter 3 but I read every spoiler in this thread and read a full plot summary before I bought the game. I still enjoy it.

Spoilers aren't real.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

DogonCrook posted:

I mean thats as intentional as in gtav they dont want you loving around in single player like theres no radiant quests like bounty hunting. They give you all the money so you can buy anything. They want to punt you into online where they have some shot of you using your credit card again. What they are doing is blatent as hell but was totally expected. These mechanics are not to enhance the single player expeirince its so when you hit online you can barely hold your head above water against homing tomahawks and dynamite arrows (both in game already) with your frail malnourished rear end cutting bullets one by one to have a shot a dropping someone lol

Pretty depressing but you're probably right. GTA online was such a clusterfuck nightmare in so many ways, I think I'll sit far back from the oncoming red dead online trainwreck with a big tub of popcorn

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I'm in chapter 3 but I read every spoiler in this thread and read a full plot summary before I bought the game. I still enjoy it.

Spoilers aren't real.

the doctor said I had a lump in my balls but that was years ago and I feel fine, cancer isn't real

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Spoilers aren't real.

Yeah okay good for you you're not everyone

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It really sucks because GTA Online was filled with so much promise, and there's genuinely a lot to like about it, but the sheer money grubbing greed involved with their decisions during the ongoing development has pretty much made it a flaming shitshow. While I am hopeful that RDR online will let me play cowboy forever, I am not looking forward to their cash grab bullshit.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess you can always engage with red dead online as god intended: by having money dropped on your head by a hacker then using all the toys to grief people in free roam

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
I hope in RDR Online , when you want to buy a house (postgame spoilers:) they make you take a loan out on it and if you don't pay it regularly (IRL time) they foreclose it. Also, you have to build it by hand and you can get killed while hammering nails on the roof and Uncle is there just complaining at you the whole time

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
I'm liking a lot the more out-there elements like the meteorite, cannibals and the robot. Now I want an open world RPG all about monsters, but not like the Witcher, something like paranormal investigators would be so cool.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In RDR3, which will be a prequel to RDR2, I hope uncle will be there being a piece of poo poo the whole time again. Uncle will never get any character development, he will have just been a useless waste of air from the moment he slid out of the womb

But miss grimshaw will be the one to really watch :stare:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I really like the fan theory that Uncle is actually Red Harlow.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I don’t get it either. I put together a fancy boy outfit that’s just a shirt and vest but the game warns me that I don’t have a hot weather outfit when I go out of the camp. However the default hot weather gunslinger outfit has a jacket?? I guess that must be one hot vest
That sounds like when the game throws a fit because you don't have a hot/cold weather outfit specifically on your horse. Even if you had one of the two "slightly warm" vests from your default wardrobe, and a pair of gloves, that would still be a hot weather outfit.

I have not started making any trapper crafted clothes, but I would expect those to have more varied warmth levels. What with all the fur hats and greater variety of fuzzy vests.Though so far as I've been able to tell from shopping around Valentine, Rhodes, and St Dennis. Unless it's a coat or gloves, 90% of clothing you can buy for cash has no warmth rating once you get back to your wardrobe to check.

The vests? No warmth. The full size chaps you can get at Valentine? No Warmth mentioned at the wardrobe. Every pair of boots seems to have a meaningless "Great for hot weather" note. While every single coat for sale I've seen in general stores and tailors are, "Slightly Warm", same for all the gloves.

Two slightly warm items are still "Hot weather", so to make anything warmer than that you need to dig through your default wardrobe options, or look into crafted trapper gear(?) The Default wardrobe has a pair of rawhide tasseled "Slightly warm" vests. Along with two Warm, and one Very Warm, coats.

Most stuff like the "Gunslinger" Hot weather preset, the jacket is 'Slightly Warm' and is it's only item with a warmth rating. Slap a pair of gloves on that, and it's still Hot Weather rated so far as I've been able to tell.

The Grizzly Outlaw default outfit has a nice looking "Warm" Montana coat (Unlike the shabby looking wool frock). Which all by itself puts you in "Average weather" territory. Slap a pair of gloves on that, and it now you have a cool looking outfit that toggles between Cold and Average when you take the gloves off via quickwheel.

Then there is your tutorial cold outfit, thanks to the "Very Warm" coat it comes with. Looks like even if you are barefoot and take off your gloves, a Very Warm coat all by itself claims you are good for cold weather at the wardrobe.

So if you don't want to care about weather, make any fancy outfit you want at the general store or tailor that is bound to be "Hot weather". Then stash a "Grizzly outlaw, but with gloves!" custom outfit onto your horse.

TL;DR: :spergin: about temperature ratings with general store/tailor shopping.

Default wardrobe Grizzly Outlaw preset+Gloves will give you a nice looking cold weather outfit, that counts for Average when you quickwheel the gloves off. For an :effort: outfit that covers the times your fancy tailor made stuff isn't warm enough.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 4, 2018

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Is there a trick to fishing I'm not getting? Seems like I spend 10 minutes reeling, stopping to tire the fish out, quickly reeling again while bringing my rod back, and repeating only for the fish to get free when it's a few feet away. My hands are worn out.

After you hook it you gotta use the left stick to tire it out before you reel it in...it'll probably start kicking again before you get it to shore and you'll have to stop and go left on the stick again until it stops vibrating and the fish tires out....then finish reeling it in and you should be good.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I have never played a game with fast trAvel where I have cared less about fast travel than I do right now

Riding through the mountains with the cinematic camera on to get the big sweeping views of poo poo is so good

And it really makes it clear how big the world is, and how wild and untamed, and how small you are in comparison

please spoiler tag the stuff about fast travel, it doesnt unlock until several hours into the game

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

punchymcpunch posted:

please spoiler tag the stuff about fast travel, it doesnt unlock until several hours into the game

no

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

BillBear posted:

This game and it's supernatural elements plus undead nightmare back in the day really makes me wish Rockstar would go and make a full fledged open world horror game, with all sorts of spooky poo poo.
I like that between GTA V and this game, UFOs are just a Rockstar signature now. Hoping they show up in Bully 2.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just a tip for the fishing people, I wasted a trip into strawberry because I thought I had no bait. Turns out if you hit l2 or r2 you can pick and choose different bait based on the poo poo you have in your satchel when you have the pole equipped.

That could have been 20 mins I was fishing, god damnit :argh:

Also, loving :lol: at choking the poo poo out of the stagecoach driver by hitting the wrong button at the wrong time. I just wanted a ride, man. I didn't mean to scare you emotionally for life :smith:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

punchymcpunch posted:

gently caress off

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just got to chapter two, trying to go around talking to the people who can go missing because of the bug so they don't go missing. Couldn't find the kid until it was night and he was sleeping, so I grabbed some shut eye myself. Woke up, he's still sleeping. Now I'm sitting on a box next to his tent waiting for a child to wake up. This isn't creepy at all

Edit as soon as I hit post he woke up. This game knows.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I've spent at least 10 hours changing outfits.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Ummm....how can I tawk aboot drunk chillen st denis w/o sprl.....pffffft poop

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

vandalism posted:

I've spent at least 10 hours changing outfits.

I found a green scout jacket and now I'm working on putting together Little Joe's outfit from Bonanza

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Finoshed the main story yesterday, great ending imho. I really liked Arthur as a protagonist and I'm actually sad he died. I played a good guy so his ending was pretty nice with the redemption arc being well made. Still, what a tragic guy. The letter from Mary you get a bit before is also really sad, all his hope for getting out of it is completely gone after a while.

About the post game : I'm stoked to ride around the rdr1 map at this point and see how they did it. Anybody know if the game is fully accessible as Marston as far as story goes or do you have to reload a save if you wanna see all side missions and stuff?

All in all a fantastic game, the slight control issues are a drop compared to the incredible amount of things this game does right. For me it's up there with Witcher 3 as one of the all time greats. I'm actually stoked to continue playing and will play online with friends once it's out.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

punchymcpunch posted:

Rockstar confirmed fast travel as did several magazines so your dumb joke thing is dumb AND wrong.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Son of Rodney posted:

Finoshed the main story yesterday, great ending imho. I really liked Arthur as a protagonist and I'm actually sad he died. I played a good guy so his ending was pretty nice with the redemption arc being well made. Still, what a tragic guy. The letter from Mary you get a bit before is also really sad, all his hope for getting out of it is completely gone after a while.

About the post game : I'm stoked to ride around the rdr1 map at this point and see how they did it. Anybody know if the game is fully accessible as Marston as far as story goes or do you have to reload a save if you wanna see all side missions and stuff?

All in all a fantastic game, the slight control issues are a drop compared to the incredible amount of things this game does right. For me it's up there with Witcher 3 as one of the all time greats. I'm actually stoked to continue playing and will play online with friends once it's out.

Same feelings here I loved the game. In the post game I ran into the two idiots from Valentine that wanted you to shoot bottles off the heads and hit them. Marston was like um ok fellas and pushed them off a waterfall in barrels. I think they've recorded lines for Marston to do every side quest which is nuts... My Arthur was a lunatic until chapter 5 and I went from seeing the wolf all game to dying looking at a sunrise, a deer was in my dreams. I think that was as good as Arthur was ever going to get and I was very weepy.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

some people are so spoiler sensitive that they consider announcements from the devs and official trailers to be spoilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

For those that like to play in first person, check out the first person field of view setting under camera settings.