Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Byzantine posted:

He does still make a guy hang himself in Duelist Kingdom. It was really only in Battle City that the CARDS shoved everything else aside. Even then, the manga at least keeps some evil magic poo poo, and then ditches the cards entirely for the Egyptian arc to finish.

Battle City still kept a little of the spirit going, what with all the elaborate deathtraps designed to kill whoever lost at a children's card game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

Sorry to bump this a couple weeks later but I like Daria, so here we are.

One thing that kind of stands out is while Daria will happily tell people to their face how stupid they're being, almost nobody reacts to her or treats her with anything more than occasional light antagonism. She doesn't actually have any enemies, even though routinely telling people they suck will eventually result in people wanting a piece of you (ask me how I know).

But that's also an interesting aspect of the character. She rebels against her peers and society, when they aren't compelling her to do anything and don't really give a poo poo what she does.

I think I remember Daria getting her poo poo pointed out a few times in a pointed way, probably by Jane but I can’t remember specifics. I know she reflected on being lovely to people who weren’t directly lovely to her a few times like the genuinely friendly but braindead quarterback and cheerleader

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There’s one written by Douglas Adams that is pretty funny, but that’s the only one I can stand for more than a few minutes, and I love weird schlock...

"Life force dying! Life force dying!"

It's definitely one of the odd ones. Poor Mr. Fibuli.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I think I remember Daria getting her poo poo pointed out a few times in a pointed way, probably by Jane but I can’t remember specifics. I know she reflected on being lovely to people who weren’t directly lovely to her a few times like the genuinely friendly but braindead quarterback and cheerleader

One of the first instances to spring to mind is the episode where Daria and Jodie have an assignment for school where they have to present a business model to a bank. The first bank is a dick about giving them a loan until they find out Jodie’s dad is the folding coffee cup guy and she gets offended because the dude was maybe being racist beforehand (I can’t remember, but that was the implication.) Then they go to another bank and Jodie immediately mentions her father and secures the loan, pissing Daria off blah blah blah.

Later, Helen gives it to Daria about being an idealist and being mad at Jodie for being pragmatic.

Then there’s the whole contact lenses episode that revolves around Daria having made her glasses a central part of her persona.

What a great show.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

burial posted:

One of the first instances to spring to mind is the episode where Daria and Jodie have an assignment for school where they have to present a business model to a bank. The first bank is a dick about giving them a loan until they find out Jodie’s dad is the folding coffee cup guy and she gets offended because the dude was maybe being racist beforehand (I can’t remember, but that was the implication.) Then they go to another bank and Jodie immediately mentions her father and secures the loan, pissing Daria off blah blah blah.

Later, Helen gives it to Daria about being an idealist and being mad at Jodie for being pragmatic.

Then there’s the whole contact lenses episode that revolves around Daria having made her glasses a central part of her persona.

What a great show.

Speaking of Daria, Jodie and spinoffs, the reboot that’s coming out is apparently called Daria and Jodie which... ok?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mtv-announces-daria-reboot-called-daria-jodie/

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BgRdMchne posted:

I remember an episode where Diane met someone's mother who threatened to kill her if she didn't stop seeing her son, but I don't remember if it was Frasier's?

That was the one I was thinking of, yeah, so I didn't imagine it.

I never got around to watching Frazier but I heard it's good and I liked the few episodes I watched. I just always wondered if they went full on Cheers spinoff and actually referenced the characters, went total continuity, had them do cameos and used his time in Boston as a real building block or if it was just "he's Frazier now and doing other stuff so never mind Lilith, Diane and Sam".

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
There's callbacks to Cheers, every major character from Cheers except Kirstie Alley showed up for one episode of Frasier each, and Lilith is a recurring character, but Frasier-from-Cheers and Frasier-from-Frasier feel like pretty different characters.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is kind of off topic but where did the idea that Lexington from Gargoyles was gay come from? I always thought he was supposed to be like a teenager trope insert or something when I was a kid but it seems to be a Thing on the internet

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aesop Poprock posted:

This is kind of off topic but where did the idea that Lexington from Gargoyles was gay come from? I always thought he was supposed to be like a teenager trope insert or something when I was a kid but it seems to be a Thing on the internet

I've never heard this despite being a pretty big fan of Gargoyles, but I'd have to guess that he just had a higher pitched voice than the others.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

Greg Weisman, the creator of Gargoyles, had a blog for many years where he answered fan questions about the show daily, endlessly elaborating every aspect of every character and setting beyond what was visible on the show. I’m pretty sure he announced it there in a pre-twitter Rowling-on-Dumbledore-style reveal. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was a fan thing first, though.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Aesop Poprock posted:

one of the creators, greg weisman, said as much at a con in the early 00s, confirmed it in a 2005 blogpost and went into a little detail about the office politics/political climate that prevented it from being more overt in a ~2011 interview, seeing as the project was still a 90s disney cartoon

it's so low key tho (even the character hadn't realized this about himself yet, only the barest seeds for an eventual later discovery were supposedly sown for the show) that you're essentially taking the writer completely at his word - afaik no one else who's worked on gargoyles has confirmed or denied it however

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's a curious example of an attempted spin-off / pilot embedded within another show, which came to mind once The Sopranos was mentioned. In one of the later seasons of The Rockford Files, David Chase wrote an episode in which Jim Rockford met a family of New Jersey mobsters with the intention that they would have their own show.
One of the odder things I’m noticing in a rewatch of The Rockford Files is how many of the plots (at least in the first couple of seasons) have some kind of mob angle shoehorned in. S2E2 features an entire condominium resort populated by people with ties to organized crime. I just don’t think of ‘70s L.A. as being this big hotbed of mafia activity.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hard counter posted:

one of the creators, greg weisman, said as much at a con in the early 00s, confirmed it in a 2005 blogpost and went into a little detail about the office politics/political climate that prevented it from being more overt in a ~2011 interview, seeing as the project was still a 90s disney cartoon

it's so low key tho (even the character hadn't realized this about himself yet, only the barest seeds for an eventual later discovery were supposedly sown for the show) that you're essentially taking the writer completely at his word - afaik no one else who's worked on gargoyles has confirmed or denied it however

Yeah but iirc it was series bible that he wouldn't really react to women (although that could also be excused by him being the youngest). In the episode where the gargoyles get switched with humans and vice versa, there's a bit where Brooklyn and Broadway are pointedly ogling women going past and it gets nothing from Lexington.

Lexington honestly comes across as gayer than if he were an officially gay character now. I think characters could be gayer back before they could be gay.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

englerp posted:

I honestly like some old the Who Serials unironically. The pacing is weird because of the serial format, SFX are horrible, and the music..yeah.,but some stories are well written and the acting is mostly hammy but solid to good. I maybe should add that i only really caught up on OldWho after the second season of NewWho. (I don't think catching a few episodes of the lovely German dub as a child really counts).

But matter of taste i guess.

This post made me just think of something: Was Classic Dr. Who's charm somehow tied to its serialized nature? It's a modern, TV-episode version of a 30s/40s Saturday Afternoon movie serial. Some adventuring, confronting some strange enemy in exotic locals like corridors and quarries, cliffhangers, etc.

I remember someone telling me recently that they remembered our grandfather watching classic Dr. Who with us when we were kids. Our grandfather might have had some nostalgia for that kind of classic Hollywood serial and might have seen it as the TV version of that enough to stomach watching it with us. It maybe explains why, in part, Doctor Who built up some of the fandom it had for a while. It was something that older family members and the younger family members could all watch and get something that felt a bit aimed at them.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Pick posted:

Lexington honestly comes across as gayer than if he were an officially gay character now. I think characters could be gayer back before they could be gay.

Can you think of other characters that would fit that trend? because what you’re saying feels true to me, but I can’t put my finger on anything solid.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

burial posted:

Can you think of other characters that would fit that trend? because what you’re saying feels true to me, but I can’t put my finger on anything solid.

That guy from lost in space

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I've heard multiple straight guys talk about how sexy Uma Thurman was in Batman and I find it a bit odd because she looks and acts like a drag queen in the movie (and I'm pretty sure it's not unintentional.)

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Pick posted:

Yeah but iirc it was series bible that he wouldn't really react to women (although that could also be excused by him being the youngest). In the episode where the gargoyles get switched with humans and vice versa, there's a bit where Brooklyn and Broadway are pointedly ogling women going past and it gets nothing from Lexington.

that's sorta of what i mean by lowkey, like the absence of ogling women (or even expanding that to general interest in women) isn't the presence of an attraction to men especially in someone who's still young enough to not care about any of that stuff yet, like human lex was essentially a preteen? it'd be challenging to untangle the writer's intent there without a guiding hand

like how could it be so obvious to you when even lexington himself doesn't even know it yet??? :colbert:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i guess in fairness i should mention the nice anecdote that at the con where greg first confirmed that lex was gay lexington's VA was actually present and overheard the news

he slammed his fist down and shouted i knew it!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I don't think we need to pretend that internet funnymen The Brothers Chaps were at the forefront of progressiveness, or that they were malicious just because a few jokes that were innocuous enough in the 2000s land less these days.

I do agree the Brothers Chaps were likely playing with Thanksgiving history textbook portrayals with stuff like Bubs' outfit and the fishcornbushes, and sometimes poking fun at those sources can lead to a bit of an ugly look as well. But the points of the gags still stand, imo.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Thanksgiving one is obviously a parody take on the story we're taught in grade school about how things went down.
I can absolutely see the point about the kid's book one coming off as transphobic and/or body shamey.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lazlo Nibble posted:

One of the odder things I’m noticing in a rewatch of The Rockford Files is how many of the plots (at least in the first couple of seasons) have some kind of mob angle shoehorned in. S2E2 features an entire condominium resort populated by people with ties to organized crime. I just don’t think of ‘70s L.A. as being this big hotbed of mafia activity.

Apparently so. :shrug:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The ABC in Australia has been showing Dr Who for forever. There's definitely a multi-generation fandom that goes back decades.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
In this episode of Family Ties a black family moves into the neighborhood and some of the neighbors want them to leave. The Keatons are the good enlightened liberals of course so they lecture their neighbors on how racism is bad

but in the same episode Elyse is wearing a Chief Wahoo jersey

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

somepartsareme posted:

There's callbacks to Cheers, every major character from Cheers except Kirstie Alley showed up for one episode of Frasier each, and Lilith is a recurring character, but Frasier-from-Cheers and Frasier-from-Frasier feel like pretty different characters.

He definitely seems angrier and more condescending in Frasier, which is understandable as he's gone through a terrible divorce in the 2nd, but I think part of that was the tone of the two shows. Cheers was a hang-out filled with people you could see yourself being friends who traded barbs but loved each other deep down. Frasier was an eleven season in-depth examination of the ways and methods by which your dinner party could be ruined by misunderstandings and hijinks.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

He definitely seems angrier and more condescending in Frasier, which is understandable as he's gone through a terrible divorce in the 2nd...

That and having to care for his father. Although I can't imagine what an even bigger rear end in a top hat he would have become had that not happened.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Pocket Billiards posted:

The ABC in Australia has been showing Dr Who for forever. There's definitely a multi-generation fandom that goes back decades.

I remember when they started airing old Doctor Who episodes every weeknight in like, 2004-ish; shortly before the revival started. There was enough people watching it in my primary school that a club started forming, and it was a substantial club. Of kids watching black and white TV shows from the sixties!

Doctor Who is a niche thing in most parts of the world. But in the places where it's not, it's ENORMOUS.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

snack eater posted:

In this episode of Family Ties a black family moves into the neighborhood and some of the neighbors want them to leave. The Keatons are the good enlightened liberals of course so they lecture their neighbors on how racism is bad

We only just retired that logo a month ago and apparently they're still going to sell things with him on it just only at progressive field.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

snack eater posted:

Sounds like many enlightened liberals today

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

burial posted:

Garak from Deep Space 9. Smithers from The Simpsons.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Pick posted:

how does a character be 'gayer' ? I think there's a lot more nuanced gay characters around now that don't need to be 'coded gay' - unless you're talking about about the exact opposite thing i.e. Lexington is just a gargoyle who also is gay, but really talking about someone being more or less gay is....

MorgaineDax posted:

yeah Smithers trembled in a corner covering his eyes from girls dancing next to him. describing that behaviour as 'gayer' is a really weird thing to do imo

ulex minor has a new favorite as of 17:22 on Nov 4, 2018

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

ulex minor posted:

how does a character be 'gayer' ? I think there's a lot more nuanced gay characters around now that don't need to be 'coded gay' - unless you're talking about about the exact opposite thing i.e. Lexington is just a gargoyle who also is gay, but really talking about someone being more or less gay is....

Can't speak for Pick, but I think it's less about some spectrum of gayness and more about how character traits are understood by imperfect human viewers. A viewer accepts that an openly gay man is what he appears to be/is depicted as, but innuendo and implication build on the viewer's imagination, so those traits becomes amplified and exaggerated. It's the "when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail," but "when you're scrutinizing for homosexuality, everything is now about their sexual identity."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

I remember when they started airing old Doctor Who episodes every weeknight in like, 2004-ish; shortly before the revival started. There was enough people watching it in my primary school that a club started forming, and it was a substantial club. Of kids watching black and white TV shows from the sixties!

Doctor Who is a niche thing in most parts of the world. But in the places where it's not, it's ENORMOUS.

A while back Twitch did a marathon of almost every classic Who story (leaving out the ones that were incomplete and a few Dalek stories because of licensing.) It was really fun to watch some of this with a fresh audience, especially when everyone in chat was shouting at Ian and Barbara to just kiss already.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Precambrian posted:

Can't speak for Pick, but I think it's less about some spectrum of gayness and more about how character traits are understood by imperfect human viewers. A viewer accepts that an openly gay man is what he appears to be/is depicted as, but innuendo and implication build on the viewer's imagination, so those traits becomes amplified and exaggerated. It's the "when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail," but "when you're scrutinizing for homosexuality, everything is now about their sexual identity."

i'm a gay guy and i'm used to searching for those hints to find someone to identify with, i just am a bit puzzled about the wording of "characters could be gayer back before they could be gay." it seems to imply that a guy who is swishy and is a 'confirmed bachelor' is 'more gay' which you know, is not a great way to put that and we still have PLENTY of those characters (which i'm fine with, i'm very effeminate myself)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gaygoyles

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Not Gargayles?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ariong posted:

Gargayles?

Disgraceful

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
obviously we're overlooking the unresolved sexual tension between goliath and xanatos in this serious debate.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MorgaineDax posted:

Garak from Deep Space 9.
I always saw Garak as asexual as a result of his upbringing and career. He'd been manipulated and manipulated others so much that there was no way he'd leave himself vulnerable to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MorgaineDax posted:

Smithers actually got answered; it was specifically stated that he isn't homosexual he's Burnssexual; as in the only person he feels any sexual attraction to at all is Mr. Burns. It isn't being broadly gay it's that he's only attracted to one, singular person who happens to also be male.