Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dear haters im praganent so quit yo drama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Picnic Princess posted:

I was so glad when I left. People shopping for jewelry are loving mental.

Please share any stories if you’re feeling up to it? Or have you contributed to an A/T in the past? If only because I love it when mega-entitled people get hoisted with their own petard, especially in the wedding industry.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

im the few drops of hot wet pee

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Panfilo posted:

You can have a big fun wedding that is cost effective for what you get, but it just takes work, and what I noticed is that people are either too lazy to bother so they just scale everything back, or they are too inflexible and spend way too much for what they get.

My wife found a wedding dress for $300 in a mall store and it looked amazing. She saw a beautiful, 7 tier cake online that originally cost $4,000 and got a little Mexican bakery in San Jose to make a copy of it for a tenth the price. We had catering for 250 people, but it only cost 9 bucks a plate which was a fraction what most caterers cost.

So we got to have a fancy big wedding at a fraction of what most people pay. But it was because we were both determined and flexible enough to make it happen, and many other couples aren't either of those.

Wedding prices are what they are because of the hassle with dealing with the people getting married and the drama they cause. Sounds like you and your wife are happy to avoid the drama side of things so got to avoid the drama tax.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Violet_Sky posted:

bitch this 2018. imma need video of you pissin on the stick, and the test developing or its FAKE NEWS PREGNANCY

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Former DILF posted:

Congratulations on your cheap relationship
Completely unironically this, I hope to find such a thrifty/resourceful broad someday.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

BiggerBoat posted:

I just pee on my fingers. Problem solved.

Get a longer dick

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The best part of being trans is that I can get a pregnancy test to come up positive any time, sans uterus. Eat me h8trs.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

T-man posted:

The best part of being trans is that I can get a pregnancy test to come up positive any time, sans uterus. Eat me h8trs.

Because hormone therapy? Genuine question, I know little about the subject.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Babies are stored in the balls.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Solice Kirsk posted:

Babies are stored in the balls.

Well, this is kind of true anyway

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Pokeballs.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Tubgoat posted:

Because hormone therapy? Genuine question, I know little about the subject.

Yep. And I assure you, my tiny shriveled balls produce no babies these days.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

T-man posted:

Yep. And I assure you, my tiny shriveled balls produce no babies these days.

Nice. Also sincere, I'm super anti-natalist.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Used dress stores are also a thing because what do you do with a wedding dress? Get a 2000-3000 for a few hundred if this your thing.

My wedding was $700 for food and a bottle of chapmapge per table, a dres, cakes, marriage and officiater liecence, everything.

Did you only have like 10 people there? Because even only inviting immediate family (to first-cousin level) I can't see how you'd do it for that much. I think I'd struggle to even provide self-catered food for that much, and my partner and I are both from white, middle class, non religious families so we're only talking like 30ish people. Hell my kid's second birthday cost like $150+ not including the present we got him, and we just had a few people around to our house.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I want to point out that a dude who secretly bought an engagement ring isn't likely to be against the whole engagement ring idea. He just picked a plug-ugly one, is all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Tied into the Weddings are a Scam are the giant grand proposal videos that people were posting. Like having everyone's family there or staging some giant production number or what.

Besides adding to "everything involved with a wedding HAS to be the biggest and best possible or he (because the onus is always on the guy in this stuff) isn't worth it" it also puts a HUGE amount of pressure on the woman and creates a situation where she can't really say no without coming off as a huge bitch. Look at the thing with the proposal in Spider-Man. The story at first was "wow what a huge bitch turning down this guy who worked really hard on this proposal" then someone actually asked her and she was "Uh well, the relationship was falling apart because of his inattention and general shittyness, and rather than trying to fix it or improve himself, he spent all his time on a grand gesture."

I think rom coms and other romantic have caused this, because how many involve the guy screwing up in the 3rd act then coming back at the end with a boombox over their head is going to fix anything.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Anyone who attempts a public proposal without running it by their partner first is a horrible human being that deserves to die alone.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hey just posting a selfie

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
No, please don't do that. :negative:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Cyberpunk 2020 graphics looking good.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

bike tory posted:

Did you only have like 10 people there? Because even only inviting immediate family (to first-cousin level) I can't see how you'd do it for that much. I think I'd struggle to even provide self-catered food for that much, and my partner and I are both from white, middle class, non religious families so we're only talking like 30ish people. Hell my kid's second birthday cost like $150+ not including the present we got him, and we just had a few people around to our house.

We got custom costco platters for food. (That's a thing ask the meat people!) 50-75ish people.

200 dress
200 food
100 champagne
100 cake (not tiered wedding. Multiple super good cakes from a good bakery)
50-100 in liscencing junk
Some miscelenious?

Plus byob on top of champagne, some family freind owned a chacolate fountain (wtf?) So it was pretty great.

We were poor so I distinctly remember it being $700 total which was huge for me at the time.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Christ food and alcohol is cheap in the US.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

bike tory posted:

Christ food and alcohol is cheap in the US.

For the next decade, at least.

Climate change is the most AUG thing of all.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Violet_Sky posted:

Hey just posting a selfie

Awesome

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Anyone who attempts a public proposal without running it by their partner first is a horrible human being that deserves to die alone.

Anytime I've dated someone and it started getting serious, I always sat them down and told them that a public proposal is a deal breaker for me. I have social anxiety to begin with, and I hate being the center of attention. Mix that with the fact that if I say no then I'm the bad guy, and it's an instant break up for me. I really upset one guy by saying that, but screw you, I'm not a prop for your ego.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I did a semi-public proposal but I dropped massive loving hints first like taking her to the jewelers to pick out the exact ring she liked. It wasnt exactly a mystery.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
sneaking a proposal in public but not telling anyone probably makes the one spectator that sees it and figures it out a highlight of that person's month

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

To me the biggest thing about a public proposal is it makes it drat near impossible to (politely) say no.

Saying no to a proposal is already such a big thing. The proposer is devastated, not only because of the rejection but also because of how badly they have misjudged the relationship. And the proposee would have to be a bastard/bitch to easily inflict that kind of pain on someone they are in a relationship with.

If you add in all the theatrics, and public attention of a public proposal, (as well as all the gawkers going "Aww isn't it sweet/romantic." Then the proposee has to deal with not only devastating their beloved, but with the ire of a crowd to which they are now the bad guy, all while probably feelingterrible about themselves for doing so in the first place.

Then there is the simple issue of nobody should EVER get married just because they felt pressured into saying yes. It does not bode well for the future of the relationship.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Polish Plait is pretty aug. Like a massive gross dreadlock.

https://twitter.com/UnholyGene/status/969674565856256000

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Soysaucebeast posted:

Anytime I've dated someone and it started getting serious, I always sat them down and told them that a public proposal is a deal breaker for me. I have social anxiety to begin with, and I hate being the center of attention. Mix that with the fact that if I say no then I'm the bad guy, and it's an instant break up for me. I really upset one guy by saying that, but screw you, I'm not a prop for your ego.

A good friend of mine's boyfriend popped the question to her via the Jumbotron at a Red Sox game.

At the engagement party she called me a 'loving downer' when I said a proposal of that caliber is like, my worst nightmare; being put on the spot like that.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

twistedmentat posted:

I think rom coms and other romantic have caused this, because how many involve the guy screwing up in the 3rd act then coming back at the end with a boombox over their head is going to fix anything.

I'd say rom-coms and things like that have really screwed up perceptions on anything involving relationships.

When my fiance and I were dating, he thought he had to do stuff like dating milestone gifts, have to give jewelry for birthday gifts, and all that other stuff you see hyped up. It took a few sit down talks to explain that I don't care about milestone gifts, it's fine if he forgets an anniversary thing, I'm not into bed & breakfast stays, and when he asks me what I'd like for my birthday, when I say I'd like a new cooking pot or vacuum, I really want a new cooking pot or vacuum. For a special night out, dinner and a movie's more than enough. Even with those talks, he still had his friends insist he had to do the whole jewelry and flowers thing because all women want that and if they say they don't, they're lying.

For our wedding, since it's his first and my second, I'm only insisting that it be fun. If he wanted something big, then we'd go big. So we're doing a get married by Elvis in Vegas thing with close family and since the majority of our friends can't travel for it, we'll rent a place in our city for a reception with a note of gifts are nice but not necessary and make sure you come with an appetite since we're catering from a good barbecue place. We know we're likely to get an earful from friends when they hear what we're doing since we're not going the big glitzy route, but we're going with what's more in our tastes.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
My marriage proposal was like, the antithesis of a rom-com scenario. We were in a 24 hour CVS on Easter weekend at midnight and discussing that we needed to get my long-term SO onto my health insurance. He mentioned that he'd been planning to propose in August on our anniversary, but him getting out of the ER with surprise!diabetes fast tracked a lot of things, so we eloped. Inbetween Easter and the actual wedding date we went and picked out rings together. (A very nice black tungsten carbide ring with a carved pattern.)

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I married my partners together on our back porch for the cost of the paperwork. :smug:

I think marriage is archaic ownership and I'm not interested in having one. Ever. :smug:

:smug: :smug: :smug:

:smug:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I proposed to my wife quietly, at dinner at a nice restaurant.

Her parents got married after her mom asked he dad in an IHOP "so are we getting married or not?" And he said "uh, sure, ok".

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

LadyPictureShow posted:

A good friend of mine's boyfriend popped the question to her via the Jumbotron at a Red Sox game.

At the engagement party she called me a 'loving downer' when I said a proposal of that caliber is like, my worst nightmare; being put on the spot like that.

I mean obviously it worked for them? Maybe they'd already discussed getting engaged, both like grand gestures and poo poo? I mean it sounds awful to me too but telling someone their proposal is your worst nightmare at the actual party celebrating that proposal does indeed sound like being a loving downer

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

queserasera posted:

I married my partners together on our back porch for the cost of the paperwork. :smug:

How many of you are in this relationship?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

queserasera posted:

I think marriage is archaic ownership and I'm not interested in having one.
Don't knock archaic ownership until you've been forcibly soulmelded by an especially possessive cat.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Marriage is pretty goddamn AUG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Am I the only one that noticed that engagement ring post appears to be in a Facebook group dedicated to complaining about their engagement rings?