Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Max Wilco posted:

That's true, but Mass Effect 3's ending (as I've heard it described) came across as it being rushed out the door, and not offering any real closure or wrap-up on the story and what happened based on your choices.

the story from people who worked at bioware at the time is that the two lead writers locked themselves in a room overnight and wrote the ending by themselves in that one night with exactly zero input from anyone else on the writing team.

which, given how bad the rest of the writing in that game is, i dunno how much better the ending would have been had they not done that. but it does give some insight to the fact that the people in charge didn't know what the gently caress they were doing. i think almost the entire team from mass effect 1 and 2 were gone by the time 3 dropped and good loving god it showed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I honestly think they just wrote themselves into a corner with how powerful the reapers were.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Roth posted:

I honestly think they just wrote themselves into a corner with how powerful the reapers were.

The original, slightly more sensible ending, the one that they’d been building up to across ME1 and ME2, got leaked while 3 was in development so the two head writers locked themselves in an office without any input from the rest of the writing staff and hammered out the new ending in the course of a weekend.

The original ending was that the mass effect itself was degrading the fabric of the universe itself and hastening heat death at an exponential rate, so the original civilization who discovered this created the Reapers as a universal stop gap to wipe out any civilization that learned how to utilize the mass effect in order to forestall the end of the universe. So the MORAL CHOICE wrapped up in that is do you accept the death of your civilization for the sake of the universe, or do you say gently caress off, we deserve to live even though we’re killing everything with how we’re living and fight back against the Reapers, or maybe find a third way that somehow involves uprooting everything galactic civilization is based on.

It might have worked, but it needed writers more talented than BioWare’s crew to pull it off, that’s for sure.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hence the cut scene of the mass relays getting blown up that was already in the game before retooling the ending to one where having that as the prominent image doesn't make nearly as much sense.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i think almost the entire team from mass effect 1 and 2 were gone by the time 3 dropped and good loving god it showed.
I'm not so sure about that. Walters and Hudson (who I'm pretty sure were the two guys in the room who cooked up the ending) had worked on all of the previous games, and one of the main people behind Tuchanka (Dombrow) was new to the series.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 4, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Hence the cut scene of the mass relays getting blown up that was already in the game before retooling the ending to one where having that as the prominent image doesn't make nearly as much sense.

The mass relays exploding is such a widespread galactic genocide that there might not be anything left of the galaxy to save for the future. Only systems that didn't have mass relays would be spared and considering how the relay network going haywire could be seen from beyond the galaxy itself, even that is doubtful.

Between Mass Effect and Dead Space, EA really liked to release games that fumbled the ending to their "ancient aliens who are also zombie makers controlling evolution as part of a harvest for reasons" games.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 4, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bit late, but there's a whole Laser Time podcast ep dedicated solely to one of the hosts venting about how insufferable Moriarty is to work with after another round of twitter drama.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mass effect 3 had way more problems than just the ending

like the whole game aside from Tuchanka being written like poo poo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Andrast posted:

Mass effect 3 had way more problems than just the ending

like the whole game aside from Tuchanka being written like poo poo

there was the one other exception to the bad writing, that being javik. man he deserved such a better fuckin game :smith:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Between Mass Effect and Dead Space, EA really liked to release games that fumbled the ending to their "ancient aliens who are also zombie makers controlling evolution as part of a harvest for reasons" games.
Dead Space had a perfect ending. They killed off all human life in a cutscene made by sliding copy/pasted concept art around on a skybox. I cannot imagine a better way to say gently caress you with the writing of a game. Either gently caress you to their publishers or to their fans, but either way it was a definitive artistic statement, whereas ME3 was just a wet fart.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Motto posted:

Bit late, but there's a whole Laser Time podcast ep dedicated solely to one of the hosts venting about how insufferable Moriarty is to work with after another round of twitter drama.

i would love to hear this if you have a link handy

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Another problem ME3 had to deal with is a kind of "narrative debt". You can make a game feel interesting by adding big central plot mysteries and a choice system but eventually you need to provide answers to the plot questions and effects for the choice system. The Witcher series was smart (or responsible) by making each game mostly self-contained with respect to the main plot questions and the effects of your choices. In the Mass Effect series they kept putting things off until the last game. You then had a situation where no one knew how to answer the questions or implement effects and the game had to work for new players while still paying off the debt accrued by the previous two.

It doesn't help that by ME2 as much as I liked collecting a team of weirdos for a space heist suicide mission the plot was already dumb as hell with Shepard dying and coming back for no reason then working for the evil space racists from the previous game under the leadership of the most generic mastermind ever to stop a reaper plot to grind up humanity and pour it into a giant metal robot skull. All of which is totally irrelevant and leaves the plot exactly where it was at the end of ME1.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Dead Space had a perfect ending. They killed off all human life in a cutscene made by sliding copy/pasted concept art around on a skybox. I cannot imagine a better way to say gently caress you with the writing of a game. Either gently caress you to their publishers or to their fans, but either way it was a definitive artistic statement, whereas ME3 was just a wet fart.

Reminds me of an underappreciated little gently caress you in Mass Effect 3. After playing with whether they'd reveal Tali's face in the series, they go ahead and do it by whiting out the eyes on a stock image of a generic white lady. It was kind of funny to laugh at that little section of the fanbase freaking out about their waifu, but it's still an incredible bit of everyone just being done with the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Microcline posted:

Another problem ME3 had to deal with is a kind of "narrative debt". You can make a game feel interesting by adding big central plot mysteries and a choice system but eventually you need to provide answers to the plot questions and effects for the choice system. The Witcher series was smart (or responsible) by making each game mostly self-contained with respect to the main plot questions and the effects of your choices. In the Mass Effect series they kept putting things off until the last game. You then had a situation where no one knew how to answer the questions or implement effects and the game had to work for new players while still paying off the debt accrued by the previous two.

It doesn't help that by ME2 as much as I liked collecting a team of weirdos for a space heist suicide mission the plot was already dumb as hell with Shepard dying and coming back for no reason then working for the evil space racists from the previous game under the leadership of the most generic mastermind ever to stop a reaper plot to grind up humanity and pour it into a giant metal robot skull. All of which is totally irrelevant and leaves the plot exactly where it was at the end of ME1.

That's pretty much exactly why the entire playerbase told them to change the ending. It wasn't being petty or whatever, it was because Bioware did not deliver on anything they set up and people were pretty justifiably upset about it. And if you've got that many people telling you to change it when a playerbase has never done that for any other major game, maybe there's something to their criticisms.
:thunk:

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Reminds me of an underappreciated little gently caress you in Mass Effect 3. After playing with whether they'd reveal Tali's face in the series, they go ahead and do it by whiting out the eyes on a stock image of a generic white lady. It was kind of funny to laugh at that little section of the fanbase freaking out about their waifu, but it's still an incredible bit of everyone just being done with the game.

Yeah, that was just lazy as all hell. I don't know how they thought that one was going to go over well, given her general popularity. Or that the internet wouldn't track down the source photo and know exactly what they'd done within five minutes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

me2 is a great example of hopw plot actually doesn't need to matter that much if the writing and atmosphere are still good. the loyalty missions were great and the characters you recruit were awesome and omega was a really rad place that i'd play an entire game based in.

well, not all that stuff was great i guess. miranda suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked, but my point still stands.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Not just that, but they did it in paid DLC. You had to give EA another $10 for privilege of getting an ending even shittier than the one Dead Space 3 itself closed out on. It probably was a giant gently caress you to EA from Visceral for what they did to their studio and their franchise with their meddling to DS3.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Oh, it's even better than that. In the official artbook for the series, she has actual designed facial artwork. They settled on a canon design and they went with stock photo model for... reasons?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

me2 is a great example of hopw plot actually doesn't need to matter that much if the writing and atmosphere are still good. the loyalty missions were great and the characters you recruit were awesome and omega was a really rad place that i'd play an entire game based in.

well, not all that stuff was great i guess. miranda suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked, but my point still stands.

I stand by the old criticism that Bioware obviously didn't have any understanding of what people liked about Mass Effect, since they never pumped out Mass Effect: Citadel Cop to cash the easiest check ever. Any time they go for big world ending monsters or plots the stories go to hell.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Not just that, but they did it in paid DLC. You had to give EA another $10 for privilege of getting an ending even shittier than the one Dead Space 3 itself closed out on. It probably was a giant gently caress you to EA from Visceral for what they did to their studio and their franchise with their meddling to DS3.
Well the game was made after Visceral Montreal was known to be being shutdown internally but before the official announcement.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You're entitled to the clothes you buy being the size they claim to be. Nobody's entitled to clothes that fit, specifically.

especially Boogie

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Remember when that private company called Patreon made changes to their system to deduct fees from user payments and everyone had a giant tantrum like that company was entitled to give a poo poo about them? Wish them luck with whatever company union I heard them talking about, if it’s full of these same corporate cheerleaders I’m sure Patreon is shaking in its boots.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I am not entitled because I pay for the game what video games still want 60 bucks for a new release gently caress that I'm gonna wait for a steam sale/goty edition :reject:

Leal fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 4, 2018

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
One of the things that annoyed me about ME3 was how some things got retconned from the previous game because they wanted to keep some enemy types around (and the writers were lazy).
In ME1 you make peace with the last Rachni queen and they go off into space somewhere. ME3; evil bugs are back again.
In ME2 it turns out that Not All Geth. Only a small exclave faction of the Geth are reaper aligned and you realign them in a loyalty mission. In a big gently caress you to the player, they are all evil robots again in ME3, and then Tali kills herself. RIP

I replayed ME2 in the last year or so and I noticed that every single loyalty mission is about daddy issues. The squadmate in question either got daddy issues or is the daddy to someone with daddy issues.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wooper posted:

In ME2 it turns out that Not All Geth. Only a small exclave faction of the Geth are reaper aligned and you realign them in a loyalty mission. In a big gently caress you to the player, they are all evil robots again in ME3, and then Tali kills herself. RIP

That's all your own fault, you made bad choices on Rannoch.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's all your own fault, you made bad choices on Rannoch.

Yeah if you do it "well" the game turns the Geth into a garbage Pinocchio story

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Just got around to watching the new Contrapoints. Good as always. And funny.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ME3 was a special brand of garbage since a month before release the game director talked how the ending wouldn't be a "push-button ending" then it comes out and that's exactly what the ending was, on top of it not making a lick of sense.

But like others have said, that game is a garbage fire before and after Tuchanka.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Mass Effect plots went to poo poo with 2, nobody noticed because the loyalty missions were good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The idea of 'entitlement' is one to debate but invoking it over people saying 'yo this idea sounds dumb' is the dumbest way to. Blizz hyped this up as their big finale announcement and it was a giant 'IT'S A PHONE GAME' wet fart, people reacted by going 'lol this is stupid', then a bunch of game journalists started screaming in agony as their precious source of access was lightly made fun of.

Game journalism is a giant farce that still, as it's a million dollar industry, not decided if it's a hobby focused medium designed around community building and communication or if it's real reporting. Like, the NYT or Al Jazeera doesn't try to 'make a community' they just report poo poo, but all these game journalist sites seem to want everyone to be friends with their subjects and then get surprised when people say 'we don't want to be friends with this company actually'.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

sexpig by night posted:

Game journalism is a giant farce that still, as it's a million dollar industry, not decided if it's a hobby focused medium designed around community building and communication or if it's real reporting. Like, the NYT or Al Jazeera doesn't try to 'make a community' they just report poo poo, but all these game journalist sites seem to want everyone to be friends with their subjects and then get surprised when people say 'we don't want to be friends with this company actually'.

Seeing this after months of NYT articles going into Trump Country to profile the voters there is kind of hilarious.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dean of Swing posted:

Remember when that private company called Patreon made changes to their system to deduct fees from user payments and everyone had a giant tantrum like that company was entitled to give a poo poo about them? Wish them luck with whatever company union I heard them talking about, if it’s full of these same corporate cheerleaders I’m sure Patreon is shaking in its boots.

I thought Patreon didn't go through with the fee deduction plan after people voiced their issues with it. Did it still happen anyway?

Spark That Bled posted:

Seeing this after months of NYT articles going into Trump Country to profile the voters there is kind of hilarious.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 4, 2018

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/1053099936487825408

To keep in mind when you talk about news outlets, outside of the gaming sphere.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spark That Bled posted:

I mean yea they're trash but it's not like they're making forums where they have the best case scenario as their readers being able to chat with trump chuds in real time or whatever. They're bad journalists but at least they do seem to understand they're journalists.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
saying 'they're worse than the NYT at handling journalistic integrity' is more meant to be an insult on them rather than praise for the NYT, sorry if that got lost :shobon:

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Imagine being stuck between a bunch of middle aged men with the collective emotional maturity of a toddler and the giant exploitative corporations that make their toys.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FoldableHuman posted:

Imagine being stuck between a bunch of middle aged men with the collective emotional maturity of a toddler and the giant exploitative corporations that make their toys.

The journalists are often the same middle aged men with emotional maturity of a toddler too

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Most people have the emotional maturity of a toddler really. It just manifests in different ways.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

FoldableHuman posted:

Don't know where this random insult at Cine D came from :/

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Most people have the emotional maturity of a toddler really. It just manifests in different ways.

Can't really argue with that.

Mine manifests in shitposting and participating in really dumb arguments on SA.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

I thought Patreon didn't go through with the fee deduction plan after people voiced their issues with it. Did it still happen anyway?

these people suck, these neoliberal corporate shills using left wing progressive language to defend a company that clearly hosed up in a stupid way and they are trying to turn it into a partisan issue. its not "well some people are over reacting to a lovely PR move" its "the entitled gamers have once again shown their toxic masculinty and are attacking a progressive company that is making a cellphone game for women". if your only encounter with leftism is some dipshit misappropriating progressive language to play corpo defender.

this isn't some company or some indie dev getting attacked by chuds over inclusiveness and such. this is a Dumb PR gently caress up that should be laughed at and hope the company learn from it. but instead of treating it as such, a bunch of journos instead do this pretentious "look how liberal and smart I am, how dare you laugh or get mad at a giant company for dumb thing, your all evil chuds" type poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Andrast posted:

Can't really argue with that.

Mine manifests in shitposting and participating in really dumb arguments on SA.

I mean same