Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Define “new” and what you are looking for price wise

Price is solidly "I don't care." In terms of new I just mean not the classics/didn't come up in the previous recommendation lists upthread; things that could be good but not super well publicized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Nur_Neerg posted:

Price is solidly "I don't care." In terms of new I just mean not the classics/didn't come up in the previous recommendation lists upthread; things that could be good but not super well publicized.

My recommendations of newer places, probably in this order:

Carrollton Market (definitely top)
The previously recommended BAB
DTB
Compère Lapin
Luvi (asian fusion)
Gabrielle
N7
Saba (israeli but overpriced IMO)
Poydras & Peters
Copper Vine

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My recommendations of newer places, probably in this order:

Carrollton Market (definitely top)
The previously recommended BAB
DTB
Compère Lapin
Luvi (asian fusion)
Gabrielle
N7
Saba (israeli but overpriced IMO)
Poydras & Peters
Copper Vine

You're awesome, thanks!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Nur_Neerg posted:

You're awesome, thanks!

No problem, make sure you report back!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nur_Neerg posted:

You're awesome, thanks!

I definitely want to hear about Saba/would try it if I were heading there soon - I moved away right around the time that Alon Shaya was having the dispute with Besh, and didn't realize he'd opened a new joint.

also: definitely do Compere Lapin if you haven't been, and try somewhere that Isaac Toups owns

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Saba is basically Shaya but 10% more expensive and 10% smaller portions. I have a fundamental objection to paying $12 for three shrimp.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Saba is basically Shaya but 10% more expensive and 10% smaller portions. I have a fundamental objection to paying $12 for three shrimp.

okay that sucks. Shaya was already too expensive but when it was new-ish it felt worthwhile (though I think it never lived up to the Best New Restaurant hype)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I want to make crawfish boudin and I have a couple of questions.

1. What do I replace the pork liver with in the recipe? Do I sub in more crawfish, or some other type of liver, or what?

2. The recipe I’m using also calls for pork fat. What do I replace that with?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 1, 2018

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I wouldn’t think you need to relate them with anything. I would guess you’re just going to sauté vegetables or whatever and then mix it with seasoning, cooked crawfish tails, and rice before stuffing into casings.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Made some jambalaya

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It's neat watching people put theirs together and the different stuff they use.

I don't think I've ever put mushrooms into mine before and I also always use tomatoes or tomato paste in mine.

I've had it the way you make it too and it's delicious, just never done that type. Seemed like more of a central / west LA thing?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That Works posted:

It's neat watching people put theirs together and the different stuff they use.

I don't think I've ever put mushrooms into mine before and I also always use tomatoes or tomato paste in mine.

I've had it the way you make it too and it's delicious, just never done that type. Seemed like more of a central / west LA thing?

Yeah most of my recipes are heavily cajun, not so much creole, probably due to my wife's dad's family being cajun from SW Louisiana. I add a tomato to my gumbo but he would never.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah most of my recipes are heavily cajun, not so much creole, probably due to my wife's dad's family being cajun from SW Louisiana. I add a tomato to my gumbo but he would never.

I used to always add tomato to gumbo but over the years I've switched over to leaving it out. Probably because to me it ends up just tasting too much like a thin etoufee if I do.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That Works posted:

I used to always add tomato to gumbo but over the years I've switched over to leaving it out. Probably because to me it ends up just tasting too much like a thin etoufee if I do.

It’s interesting. I’m obviously partial to my own gumbo because who isn’t, but even in an honest assessment of other people’s I find a common issue—they are usually too thin, and bland in flavor aside from too much salt. I think this is a result of (a) roux that is too light, combined with (b) too much water and/or broth (not stock), and (c) using only salt and pepper to season, so the reaction to a thin, bland gumbo is adding more salt or creole seasoning (which to most people is Tony Chacheres or another 90% salt blend).

I find the tomato adds water with flavor and a bit more depth. Tomatoless gumbo can certainly be good, of course, but in my experience it usually has the above problems or tastes a bit musty (made with jarred roux).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It’s interesting. I’m obviously partial to my own gumbo because who isn’t, but even in an honest assessment of other people’s I find a common issue—they are usually too thin, and bland in flavor aside from too much salt. I think this is a result of (a) roux that is too light, combined with (b) too much water and/or broth (not stock), and (c) using only salt and pepper to season, so the reaction to a thin, bland gumbo is adding more salt or creole seasoning (which to most people is Tony Chacheres or another 90% salt blend).

I find the tomato adds water with flavor and a bit more depth. Tomatoless gumbo can certainly be good, of course, but in my experience it usually has the above problems or tastes a bit musty (made with jarred roux).

I think I started switching away once I started making my own stock when I got a pressure cooker. Since then the stock I use is very velvety / gelatinous and it adds a good oomph to the dish that you notice when compared to a box or can of chicken stock instead. Also I finally stopped being a wuss and took my roux a little darker than I used to.

I'd always chicken out a little early before the last few years. Partly I think I got over that from watching you do a breakdown of how you prepared yours so thanks for that.

All that is part of the reason I'm a big disciple of making your own stock in here. It really is just the best single improvement I've tried. Using a little fish sauce and paprika is also a good improvement from where I started.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
It's a "depth of flavour" umami thing. I don't use extras* in a gumbo I take a little dark and is loaded with ingredients. But for something cooked lighter and quicker and with less meat/salt then it's hello *tomato paste, fish sauce, worcestershire sauce, mushrooms, anchovies, vegemite, bacon, olives orall those other well known umami additives.
Obviously pick only 1-2 and then some more spice and a herb, veg or something.
Or go with MSG Or don't IMO. I had a powdered soup the other day which was loaded with MSG. I couldn't taste anything for an hour or two

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Made some jambalaya

What is in that first picture? Almost looks like pork neck bones or is it some kind of ham?

I made some good jambalaya last week with chicken thighs and ham and andouille. I just discovered there's a no salt version of Tony Cacheres, so I could add more of that than usual and not get it too salty. I saw some roux in a jar (maybe that's heresy in itself?) at Rouse's and put in a few tablespoons of that before adding the liquid just to try something different. It added a nice flavor without making it gummy and it might become a regular thing. I've never put tomatoes or mushrooms in my jambalaya, but I could definitely see either being good.

How the hell do you get jarred roux out of the jar? It about broke my spoon. Or is that the reason to just always make your own?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What is in that first picture? Almost looks like pork neck bones or is it some kind of ham?

I made some good jambalaya last week with chicken thighs and ham and andouille. I just discovered there's a no salt version of Tony Cacheres, so I could add more of that than usual and not get it too salty. I saw some roux in a jar (maybe that's heresy in itself?) at Rouse's and put in a few tablespoons of that before adding the liquid just to try something different. It added a nice flavor without making it gummy and it might become a regular thing. I've never put tomatoes or mushrooms in my jambalaya, but I could definitely see either being good.

How the hell do you get jarred roux out of the jar? It about broke my spoon. Or is that the reason to just always make your own?

I just bought 2.5 lbs of pork that had bones, because I like bones in there. It seemed like some kind of country-style ribs. I cut all the meat off of it and cubed it. I've used butt and chops, too. Any pork works.

The roux in a jar is always pretty hard to get out, yeah. It's fine and easy to use, but I don't think it gives close to the flavor of homemade roux in gumbo.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I just bought 2.5 lbs of pork that had bones, because I like bones in there. It seemed like some kind of country-style ribs. I cut all the meat off of it and cubed it. I've used butt and chops, too. Any pork works.

The roux in a jar is always pretty hard to get out, yeah. It's fine and easy to use, but I don't think it gives close to the flavor of homemade roux in gumbo.
I've never done uncured pork in jambalaya-I'll have to try it. I just saw this recipe https://acadianatable.com/2017/03/20/pork-neck-bone-fricassee/ and now I know what I'm cooking next weekend.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've never done uncured pork in jambalaya-I'll have to try it. I just saw this recipe https://acadianatable.com/2017/03/20/pork-neck-bone-fricassee/ and now I know what I'm cooking next weekend.

That recipe looks right up my alley. Definitely going to try it this winter.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Just got done eating those neckbones with some garlicky mustard greens and I can confirm that is a delicious recipe. It calls for 1# each of smoked sausage and andouille but that seemed like overkill and I didn't have andouille so I just did 1# of smoked sausage and it was great. The sauce didn't reduce as much as I'd imagined and was more thin sauce than gravy, but it was excellent. The recipe says it is for 8 but three hungry people ate 3/4 of it. Still not bad for $7 worth of neck bones and $3 worth of sausage.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Nur_Neerg posted:

You're awesome, thanks!

How was your trip dude

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

How was your trip dude

Awesome! Way too fun of a town. Our hotel was right over between Peche and the Cochons, so those all happened. All the places I can remember us enjoying:

Peche: Went twice, enjoyed their oysters more than anywhere else. The seafood gumbo was very good. Really I could go there and just have oysters and drinks forever.
Saba: Super good, took a picture with Alon because why not. The lutenitsa was a highlight, the blue crab hummus was super good, and the pita was incredible. Definitely ate too much pita. Really enjoyed the baba ganoush and labneh too. The chef recommended us a seafood restaurant in Seattle that I frequent, and a southern joint I'd not checked out yet.
Casamento's: My brother recommended we check this out, ten minutes into our meal Guy Fieri popped in to film a segment for Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. Girlfriend had to sign a waiver because she was in the shot the whole time. Huge oysters, pretty good. I enjoyed the fried soft-shells too.
Cochon: Tender, sweet chili-sauced alligator & char grilled oysters were the highlights. Ran into Guy Fieri here as well.
Bakery Bar: The rainbow almond doberge was ridiculously good. The blueberry maple bacon was okay.
Cochon Butcher: We both loved Le Pig Mac, great fun take on fast food. I had a really good muffaletta here too later in the week.
Cajun Seafood: Killed a couple pounds each of shrimp and frozen crawfish. Both were incredible, the corn and potatoes were very good too. Regretted not coming back here for another meal, honestly.
Luke: Oyster happy hour was a good deal, though pretty average in terms of quality compared to the other places we went. The fried, honey & jalop quail was real drat good though.

Really wanted to make it to Compere Lapin but just didn't, girlfriend was less interested in that one than I >< Had some pretty mediocre 'fusion dim sum' for brunch the first day in town, at Maypop. Felix's had some pretty good turtle soup and some pretty mediocre oysters. Rebirth Brass Band puts on a pretty drat good live show. Definitely need to make it back for another visit sometime soon, preferably during crawfish season.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Good to hear you enjoyed it!

Nur_Neerg posted:

Cochon: Tender, sweet chili-sauced alligator

I remember finding out that that dish literally used equal parts sriracha and butter as the sauce lol

not surprised about Maypop, unfortunately. I only ate at that dude's first restaurant, MoPho, twice because each time I had such miserable lukewarm food - and it was crazy hyped at the time.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

eke out posted:

Good to hear you enjoyed it!

I remember finding out that that dish literally used equal parts sriracha and butter as the sauce lol

not surprised about Maypop, unfortunately. I only ate at that dude's first restaurant, MoPho, twice because each time I had such miserable lukewarm food - and it was crazy hyped at the time.

Hahaha makes sense, I like both those things! The texture on it is also just dead-on. Tender, some bite, nice bit of fry. I want more right now =(

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Nur_Neerg posted:

Peche: Went twice, enjoyed their oysters more than anywhere else. The seafood gumbo was very good. Really I could go there and just have oysters and drinks.

Peche was definitely the highlight of my last trip there. Had crawfish linguine (was there during crawfish season) and the smoked tuna dip. I think I could eat that every day for the rest of my life and be pretty darn happy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

gently caress, y'all are making me homesick

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m glad I’m going to be around in NO in a few weeks, I’m so loving hungry right now.

I’ve somehow missed Cajun Seafood completely (like, I’ve never heard of it). I love cheap, filling good food.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Anyone who goes to Peche, you have to get the fried bread. Trust me.

Sounds like you had a good trip, Nur_Neerg. Glad to hear!

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

It's ridiculous how close I live to New Orleans and how few of these restaurants I've been to.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Nur_Neerg posted:

Casamento's: ten minutes into our meal Guy Fieri popped in to film a segment for Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. Girlfriend had to sign a waiver because she was in the shot the whole time.
Cochon: Ran into Guy Fieri here as well.

You lucky fucker.

Please tell me he was cool in person.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

You lucky fucker.

Please tell me he was cool in person.

Lol

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mushika posted:

It's ridiculous how close I live to New Orleans and how few of these restaurants I've been to.

I’ve added the ones I didn’t know about to my ‘want to go’ list on google maps.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

whatever, I like that show, gently caress y’all

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fieri seems like a douchebag but then there was a thing recently about how he was giving away shitloads of money to charity and sending out tons of free food or whatever also during Harvey and a couple of other storms etc. Dude seems to be a genuinely charitable guy who puts alot of his money into giving back. There was more than just the disaster relief stuff but I can't recall right this moment what else it was. Anyway, yeah he seems goofy, but he's doing good.

Edit:

https://www.delish.com/restaurants/a58436/who-is-guy-fieri/

https://news.avclub.com/guy-fieri-once-again-demonstrates-that-hes-a-good-guy-1828000264

lol http://www.cc.com/video-clips/4a0l06/comedy-central-stand-up-presents-what-did-guy-fieri-ever-do-to-anyone----uncensored

That Works fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 4, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Guy Fieri took a day out of his life to humiliate a goon for charity. He is good, despite dressing in shirts from the walmart collection.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELPKuKvo44k

This is the only thing I want to know about Guy Fieri.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He only promotes family owned restaurants on his travel show and never chains so yeah he's not too bad. The only thing revolting to me about him is that he doesn't like eggs. He doesn't like eating them on the show.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
He seems like a good dude, doing good stuff, and Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives is like, my platonic ideal for a show. Good on him, I wish him the best, but there is something that just makes me super annoyed by him. I have realized at this point that it is a ME problem, and don't talk poo poo about him anymore, since there is no objective reason (other than style) to hate on him as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

He seems like a good dude, doing good stuff, and Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives is like, my platonic ideal for a show. Good on him, I wish him the best, but there is something that just makes me super annoyed by him. I have realized at this point that it is a ME problem, and don't talk poo poo about him anymore, since there is no objective reason (other than style) to hate on him as far as I can tell.

It was the same for me. I always thought he was some kind of prick, or just a loud idiot, but then I read the stuff I linked earlier / heard a few other things about him and realized it was just me that was being silly about it.