Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

It's only a dumb PR screwup if you start from the assumption that the most vocal of their fanbase are obnoxious losers with a disdain for anything that doesn't cater directly to their very narrow interests. Otherwise it's just a game announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yes if you use context stuff changes congrats on figuring that out

This is definitely a PR disaster and it’s a good thing.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Knowing your audience is part of PR.

Like a press release saying “No Diablo 4” is smart. Having a mobile game that you aren’t even developing as your capstone announcement is...less so.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Weird post stuff

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yes if you use context stuff changes congrats on figuring that out

This is definitely a PR disaster and it’s a good thing.

yeah, they tried to push a predatory cellphone game as the grand finale to a their giant conference. most people who play cellphone games arn't paying 200+ bucks to go to one of more specialized gaming con. if they had just had it as one of their middle announcement, then people woudn;t have cared. but they made it their grand finale, some reskinned out of studio game that will probably have a ton of predatory roadblocks, worse they arn't even putting as a digital download for other systems.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Entitlement and dissatisfaction are now forever intertwined it seems. This isn't anything like a bunch of dickheads complaining about the amount of women/minorities in a game and it's completely disingenuous to claim it as such. They didn't burn a venue down, they booed a game announcement (more than that, a game announcement that's clearly engineered by the far less popular half of the AB merger who've been pushing for Diablo mobile for years for one reason only, because of how much money they could make out of it). Is THAT not even allowed anymore? Clearly not, it seems.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Entitlement and dissatisfaction are now forever intertwined it seems. This isn't anything like a bunch of dickheads complaining about the amount of women/minorities in a game and it's completely disingenuous to claim it as such. They didn't burn a venue down, they booed a game announcement (more than that, a game announcement that's clearly engineered by the far less popular half of the AB merger who've been pushing for Diablo mobile for years for one reason only, because of how much money they could make out of it). Is THAT not even allowed anymore? Clearly not, it seems.

:same: if they were bitching about Inclusivness then yeah, gently caress them. but they arn't. they are mad at a company gently caress up and thats fine.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Knowing your audience is part of PR.

Like a press release saying “No Diablo 4” is smart. Having a mobile game that you aren’t even developing as your capstone announcement is...less so.

yeah, plus this is blizzard, they are mostly better then this. if this was EA, i wouldnt be surprised.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Alaois posted:

i would love to hear this if you have a link handy

http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/2018/01/21/laser-time-bob-vs-colin/

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The guy in the audience just outright asking the Blizzard dude if this was a joke was really funny.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Archer666 posted:

The guy in the audience just outright asking the Blizzard dude if this was a joke was really funny.

reminder that that very funny joke was actually what started this whole meltdown, someone was mildly rude to a guy announcing something dumb

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

reminder that that very funny joke was actually what started this whole meltdown, someone was mildly rude to a guy announcing something dumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vSe-mmw

my reaction in two parts.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Incredible look from "left" youtube defending a giant corporation from *checks notes* a joke making fun of them

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i hope sjws destroy gaming soon so we can, collectively, move on

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

i hope sjws destroy gaming soon so we can, collectively, move on

Pretty sure they helped continue its existence but same.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

these people suck, these neoliberal corporate shills using left wing progressive language to defend a company that clearly hosed up in a stupid way and they are trying to turn it into a partisan issue. its not "well some people are over reacting to a lovely PR move" its "the entitled gamers have once again shown their toxic masculinty and are attacking a progressive company that is making a cellphone game for women". if your only encounter with leftism is some dipshit misappropriating progressive language to play corpo defender.

this isn't some company or some indie dev getting attacked by chuds over inclusiveness and such. this is a Dumb PR gently caress up that should be laughed at and hope the company learn from it. but instead of treating it as such, a bunch of journos instead do this pretentious "look how liberal and smart I am, how dare you laugh or get mad at a giant company for dumb thing, your all evil chuds" type poo poo.

I also thought that was just some random dude who was saying that, but then I saw this:

"Owner of Blizzard Watch" :v:

Archer666 posted:

"Launch this dude into the sun" :raise:

Also, it doesn't make much sense to argue that they hide via anonymity when this guy showed his face on stream (you could argue he didn't give out his name, but...)

FoldableHuman posted:

Imagine being stuck between a bunch of middle aged men with the collective emotional maturity of a toddler and the giant exploitative corporations that make their toys.

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1054796233452048384
https://twitter.com/alexdnz/status/1054798060189036546

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I also thought that was just some random dude who was saying that, but then I saw this:

"Owner of Blizzard Watch" :v:

Also, it doesn't make much sense to argue that they hide via anonymity when this guy showed his face on stream (you could argue he didn't give out his name, but...)

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1054796233452048384
https://twitter.com/alexdnz/status/1054798060189036546

God drat it dan, I like your stuff, why do you have to defend dumb poo poo that doesn’t need defending? Also will seems like a dumb shitlord.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Because even supposedly progressive gamers they are still gamers. Their identity being completely tied to what they consume

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffles Inc. posted:

Incredible look from "left" youtube defending a giant corporation from *checks notes* a joke making fun of them

I was gonna not rejoin this because it's really dumb, but no one here actually gives a poo poo about Blizzard, let alone enough to loving defend them specifically. This continues to be a really lovely line of argumentation that paints people you mildly disagree with about being slightly rude as insufficiently leftist.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

God drat it dan, I like your stuff, why do you have to defend dumb poo poo that doesn’t need defending? Also will seems like a dumb shitlord.

"Launch them into the sun" is hyperbole my dudes. It's both impossible and impractical. That's the joke.

I also don't really read that Dan statement as defense, more an acknowledgement of a weird reality. He's not talking about quest fuckups, he's talking about poo poo like your corpse launching into the stratosphere upon death.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

I also don't really read that Dan statement as defense, more an acknowledgement of a weird reality. He's not talking about quest fuckups, he's talking about poo poo like your corpse launching into the stratosphere upon death.

Nobody who complains about the bugs complains about that poo poo though so the whole statement seems kind of pointless

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

FoldableHuman posted:

It's only a dumb PR screwup if you start from the assumption that the most vocal of their fanbase are obnoxious losers with a disdain for anything that doesn't cater directly to their very narrow interests. Otherwise it's just a game announcement.

It’s an incredibly dumb PR screwup to announce a product to people that aren’t interested in it. Which is exactly what they did when they announced it at Blizzcon, an event that I cannot imagine would attract anyone but... Well, people that probably wouldn’t give two shits about a phone game.

Also, why all the open hostility to people expressing disinterest in something they’re not interested in? All I’ve really seen of this is the press event where someone asked “Is this an April Fools joke?”, which admittedly probably threw the guy on the stage off considering this was one of the people paid to be here and ask questions. That’s a whole lot of nothing, though. Disdain, maybe, but hardly anything worth calling people obnoxious losers over, especially considering it’s for what’s probably gonna be a highly predatory phone game. Am I missing something here? Is there a side of this on Reddit and Twitter where we’re finding out people are getting death threats? Serious question here.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 4, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Arist posted:

I was gonna not rejoin this because it's really dumb, but no one here actually gives a poo poo about Blizzard, let alone enough to loving defend them specifically. This continues to be a really lovely line of argumentation that paints people you mildly disagree with about being slightly rude as insufficiently leftist.

"Launch them into the sun" is hyperbole my dudes. It's both impossible and impractical. That's the joke.

lol your the guy that got mad for mild sass but hurling them to the sun well that’s just hyperbole

You must work for Blizzard as that is the only way this makes sense

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Not sure who the Will Powers dude is, but he should chill out instead of getting mad at people getting mad at video games.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

really, diablo immortal is about family ethics in gaming journalism

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Do not even ask posted:

really, diablo immortal is about family ethics in gaming journalism

This whole "game companies don't owe you anything" seems odd in the context of this being announced at a paid fan event.

I mean, of course companies don't owe people anything and people don't owe companies anything, but the tone deafness of doing this is Blizzcon rather than just a press release or a website announcement deserves criticism. Not rage and harassment, but the disappointment and anger is not at all unjustified.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

CharlestheHammer posted:

lol your the guy that got mad for mild sass but hurling them to the sun well thats just hyperbole

If only Blizzard would pay people to defend them on the Internet. Then I wouldn't be worrying about when my Universal Credit is gonna be paid in.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Moving on from people yelling how so much better they are than the video game people, Abroad in Japan's been doing a bike tour through Japan the past 12-13 days and its really interesting to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It338b61dU8

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Spark That Bled posted:

If only Blizzard would pay people to defend them on the Internet. Then I wouldn't be worrying about when my Universal Credit is gonna be paid in.

They probably do.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

CharlestheHammer posted:

They probably do.

The gently caress they do, otherwise someone might have told me by now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CharlestheHammer posted:

lol your the guy that got mad for mild sass but hurling them to the sun well that’s just hyperbole

The tenor of a face-to-face conversation is inherently different, but also saying "hurl this dude into the sun" is just absurd on its face and really hard to take seriously.

Again, I don't loving care about Blizzard. Accusing everyone who's saying "don't blame this random dude" of being a shill is really stupid, as are all the people pulling up tweets going "don't do this" to dunk on random games journalists. It's beyond pathetic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Spark That Bled posted:

The gently caress they do, otherwise someone might have told me by now.

I don’t think I would want you to, seems like a waste of money

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This whole "game companies don't owe you anything" seems odd in the context of this being announced at a paid fan event.

I mean, of course companies don't owe people anything and people don't owe companies anything, but the tone deafness of doing this is Blizzcon rather than just a press release or a website announcement deserves criticism. Not rage and harassment, but the disappointment and anger is not at all unjustified.

I also agree largely with this. I've been saying the entire time that disappointment is totally reasonable (even if Blizzard seemed to predict this and try to cut off people's expectations beforehand).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Arist posted:

The tenor of a face-to-face conversation is inherently different, but also saying "hurl this dude into the sun" is just absurd on its face and really hard to take seriously.

Again, I don't loving care about Blizzard. Accusing everyone who's saying "don't blame this random dude" of being a shill is really stupid, as are all the people pulling up tweets going "don't do this" to dunk on random games journalists. It's beyond pathetic.

Holy poo poo what is wrong with you. Like grow up or something sassing someone to their face is not an issue.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think I would want you to, seems like a waste of money

So you're just another FYGM chud, then?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Holy poo poo what is wrong with you. Like grow up or something sassing someone to their face is not an issue.

Yes it is? Don't be rude to people who have no power or desire to harm you?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

I also agree largely with this. I've been saying the entire time that disappointment is totally reasonable (even if Blizzard seemed to predict this and try to cut off people's expectations beforehand).

Blizzard did absolutely zero predicting here

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Andrast posted:

Blizzard did absolutely zero predicting here

Didn't they say "this won't be a big announcement"? I might be misinformed on that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Arist posted:

Yes it is? Don't be rude to people who have no power or desire to harm you?

Oh no being rude how dare he pearl clutch harder

This is the dumbest argument this thread has ever had

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh not being rude how dare he

Good to know being an rear end in a top hat for no reason is good, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arist posted:

Didn't they say "this won't be a big announcement"? I might be misinformed on that.

If Blizzard had predicted this, they would not have had this announcement as the final announcement of the opening ceremony with no mention of a proper D4