Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

redreader posted:

I've got mario (barely touched), celeste (bounced off it hard), zelda, which I loved, dark souls remastered, which is good, octopath, which I've played all c1's and some c2's of. I've already played bayonetta and the world ends with you, loved both of them. The weird gambling lootgrind + clicky click of diablo doesn't appeal to me. What else do people recommend for me? I think VC4 is on switch but I have the ps4 version of that already.

Hollow Knight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ROJO posted:

So, I played D3 back at release and again after RoS, but pre-necro. I started a necro for fun to check it out, and I'm having fun throwing corpse arrows at everything. Can someone explain seasons to me? Seasonal characters revert to regular at the end of each right? Is there any reason not to make a seasonal character? Am I missing anything if I do? Or am I totally misunderstanding what seasons are?

No there's no reason not to do a seasonal character. The only hang-up is that if you have a regular character you've put a lot of time in you can't do the season with them, which also means you can't play the same character across multiple seasons.

Trying to improve your character once you're deep in the realm of diminishing returns seems insanely boring to me so I'm good with restarting for the new season goals.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

There're so many indie games to play!

Of the latest batch: Save Us Mr Tako; Marble it Up; and Hidden Folk most interest me.

Anyone try these yet?

I still need to get Hyper Light Drifter and I'm tempted to double-dip with Stardew Valley.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Are there any reviews out for Civ VI yet? I'm tempted to get D3 but I know once Civ comes out my life will be over.
Nope, they haven't sent review codes out yet. As soon as they do (and the NDA lifts) I'll post in here with my initial impressions. I'm really curious to see how long AI turns will take.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There're so many indie games to play!

Of the latest batch: Save Us Mr Tako; Marble it Up; and Hidden Folk most interest me.

Anyone try these yet?

I still need to get Hyper Light Drifter and I'm tempted to double-dip with Stardew Valley.

Marble It Up is just what you’d expect and it’s good. I’m interested in Mr Tako since I love the GB aesthetic when it’s done well.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Marble It Up is just what you’d expect and it’s good. I’m interested in Mr Tako since I love the GB aesthetic when it’s done well.

I usually don't give two figs about graphics but Tako's are incredible. Does it play good though?

Does Marble it Up feel fast? It looks fast but with tight controls. It gives me such Monkey Ball vibes and that game was so good. And that reminds me that Katamari Damacy is coming out eventually too. drat.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I honestly thought pokemon and smash were all i had left this year but poo poo, katamari

Edit: maybe d3 if a friend gets it

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is this new Pokemon game basically a remake of Pokemon Yellow?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phenotype posted:

It’s that + Pokemon Go. Trainer battles are the same but the wild Pokémon catching using Go mechanics and the leveling has been streamlined to account for it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Phenotype posted:

Yes, down to the anime tie-ins from Yellow like Jesse and James appearing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Wait, so it's not even regular Pokemon battles? Why can't they just do a regular Pokemon game on the Switch?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Wait, so it's not even regular Pokemon battles? Why can't they just do a regular Pokemon game on the Switch?

Thy are going to. It's coming in 2019.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Phenotype posted:

They are, next year. Honestly though wild battles were never any kind of challenge so as long as trainer battles are still in I'm looking forward to the change of pace, at least for one game.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

I have Hidden Folk for iOS and it's delightful. Reminds me of an interactive Where's Waldo? book. Sure it would be great on the switch if you are okay with going into it expecting a real laid back seek and find puzzle book sort of experience.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

When is Steamworld Dig 3 and Hollow Knight 2 coming out on Switch? I've got a fierce hankering for some awesome metroidvania games.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

It's causing something to break in my brain lol. It's like half of my muscle memory expects the PS style buttons from 10 years of playing Souls there, and the other half knows I'm holding a switch and is expecting the reverse confirm/back buttons and it's totally screwing with me.

I'm honestly also half tempted to remap the controls because R1 really isn't comfortable to use all of the time, but I just can't bring myself to do it cause I want normal Souls controls.

It's really not too bad but it's definitely a little awkward to play compared to using a normal controller.

Hey I had a similar awful experience coming to Dark Souls on Switch. I also had the (in retrospect) fortunate situation of coming from 100+ hours of Monster Hunters. Here's my definitive guide to make Dark Souls in handheld work great:

Map the attacks to A and B, however you like it (I have light attack on A).

Map sprint to RZ.

Map interact to R1.

Now, the only thing you NEED to be careful with attack on A and B when talking to NPCs. R1 advances dialogue when it's subtitles, when you're in menus A cancels and B confirms. If you accidently press B during subtitles you'll attack through them and smack the merchant (I murdered the undead merchant in the Burg about 2 minutes after changing these controls).

This setup is way, way nicer than the default controls and I like it much better even with a pro controller. I have MHGU to thank for the inspiration. I recommend you do give this setup and whirl.

Also play MHGU cause it's the best time I've had on the Switch!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man... I dunno if I can go back to Hollow Knight after Yoku's Island Express.
Backtracking in these games is expected but the Beeline is such a good mechanic. Hollow Knight is a total slog sometimes.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

How many Mario party parties would need to happen to justify a $60 purchase?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Kart Barfunkel posted:

One

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’d say 4. It’s the best one in ages but still probably not worth it if you aren’t gonna play it a lot.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Mario Party is something that I break out for a full game every week or two. It's always a great time, but yeah its not the sort of thing you're gonna just dump hours into.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Frankston posted:

When is Steamworld Dig 3 and Hollow Knight 2 coming out on Switch? I've got a fierce hankering for some awesome metroidvania games.

I am sure Steamworld Dig 3 is in the works, I just hope it's not too long.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I want Steamworld Heist 2 before another dig

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Tender Bender posted:

Every time I get back into D3 I always gravitate back to the barbarian. The visceral physicality of the bashin' is just so fun, everything else pales in comparison.
I dunno man, I have a Necromancer who now, only at Level 20, shoots a wave of bone Spears out, pulls bone Spears out of corpses and has them fly into other enemies (which has a chance to spawn a health orb), pulls bones out of living enemies and forms a loving ARMOR out of it... like an exo-suit! Commands an army of Skeletons when needed, and has an AOE that siphons health from all affected enemies.

I feel like a goddamn one-man explosion army.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sakurai is crazy

Wii fit trainer tried that yoga poses because she has an iframe at the start of it.

https://twitter.com/ryo829001/status/1058710988025786377?s=19

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Sakurai is crazy

Wii fit trainer tried that yoga poses because she has an iframe at the start of it.

Cool, and yet watching that clip I'm reminded merely of how much I love the music in Smash Bros. It's not just a game, it's a whole entertainment package.

antidote posted:

I am sure Steamworld Dig 3 is in the works, I just hope it's not too long.

As in the game length or the ETA for the game coming out?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Cool, and yet watching that clip I'm reminded merely of how much I love the music in Smash Bros. It's not just a game, it's a whole entertainment package.

Same. One of the first things I’m going to do when it unlocks is spend a few hours listening to and setting songs for stages.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
How do I make or get Keystones for rifts?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feenix posted:

How do I make or get Keystones for rifts?
Rift Guardians drop them after you hit level 70

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

redreader posted:

I've got mario (barely touched), celeste (bounced off it hard), zelda, which I loved, dark souls remastered, which is good, octopath, which I've played all c1's and some c2's of. I've already played bayonetta and the world ends with you, loved both of them. The weird gambling lootgrind + clicky click of diablo doesn't appeal to me. What else do people recommend for me? I think VC4 is on switch but I have the ps4 version of that already.

Golf Story

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fallom posted:

diablo immortal and diablo 3 switch are probably the "multiple projects"

not just that. In response to the hilarious backlash from phone diablo they stressed that they are still working on multiple other diablo things in addition to diablo 3 switch and phone diablo
https://www.polygon.com/blizzcon/2018/11/3/18059222/diablo-immortal-blizzard-response-blizzcon

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Sakurai is crazy

Link is dead but it led me to this

https://twitter.com/TodoNintendoS/status/1058112788898500609?s=20

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
He knows what's coming and embraces it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope "Ultimate" rings true and he gets to step away from this forever. poor dude left Nintendo to stop making endless sequels for Kirby and look what he got roped in to

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

redreader posted:

BROFORCE

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Bought d3 for a third time like a chump and its like visiting an old friend. rollin a Witch Doctor for this season to see if the Switch shits itself in GRs. So far I'm impressed how well it handles everything.

This makes me want Grim Dawn on Switch too. And Sunless Seas for some reason. Just give me all the games on portable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

I hope "Ultimate" rings true and he gets to step away from this forever. poor dude left Nintendo to stop making endless sequels for Kirby and look what he got roped in to

Sakurai himself puts it this way:

quote:

Every so often, people will tell me that I should work on other projects besides Smash. I interpret this to mean they have faith in my ability to create something fun and unique, and I appreciate it.

However, Nintendo is the one who decides to make Smash, and if they ask me to oversee its development, then I feel obligated to make it my top priority regardless of the consequences.

I’ve been tasked with directing this dreadfully expansive project. There are few jobs that will wear you out like this one. That said, working on Smash is far from a given.

If you were to ask if I felt stuck in a rut continuously working on the same series, I would have to disagree. It takes a lot of ingenuity to come up with a way to implement seemingly impossible characters into the game. There’s also a certain prestige that comes with handling content from so many beloved titles.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
"God I'm so tired of doing this game, but I feel obligated to do my best because Nintendo asked me. On the plus side, it's really hard."

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

He didn't say he was tired of it, he likes the challenge of making all the characters function in one game. But he's never been a bullshitter when it comes to his work ethic. He's a known sociopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't think "sociopath" is the word you're looking for there. Maybe "workaholic"?