Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Speaking of cloaking devices, I am very excited to find out what the deal is with that Iowa. I've got my fingers crossed for something completely off the wall like it's submersible now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

power crystals posted:

Speaking of cloaking devices, I am very excited to find out what the deal is with that Iowa. I've got my fingers crossed for something completely off the wall like it's submersible now.

Some Cuban kids with a tinfoil boat. The real Iowa sneaks up from behind... classic misdirection. Nathan James has been Nathan James'd

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It would be interesting if the Iowa was an illusion created by hackers or some other signal fuckery and that the shell that hit the Nathan James a few episodes ago was fired from something less fantastic, but Chandler seemed to actually see the battleship that sailed by so I don't know.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

It would be interesting if the Iowa was an illusion created by hackers or some other signal fuckery and that the shell that hit the Nathan James a few episodes ago was fired from something less fantastic, but Chandler seemed to actually see the battleship that sailed by so I don't know.

Eh, he was spewing blood and possibly hallucinating from an overdose of hot chest rocks. It would be a fitting end if it all turned out to be an illusion and some allegory about Chandler chasing his white whale, but tbh I would much prefer if there was a solid episode of them taking on a battleship.

edit: Hell, they were totally and completely hacked though so...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I didn't think of hallucination, so then that idea would still work.

Real or fake it's still kind of weird that they didn't have a moment where they brought some attention to how crazy it is that Colombia got their hands on a fully-working Iowa. At least mentioning that one of the museum ships went missing during the plague, or being unable to verify (due to hosed up communications) if the one in LA was still there, or something. That's one hell of a thing to drop and not have someone go "holy poo poo"

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

It could still be a replica built off of the original blueprints :v: I assume by this point the protaganists are so used to insanity that they just don’t care anymore.

I’m not sure what to think of that scene with Chandler. I would have gone with hallucination but they kept the camera on the ship for quite a while. Computer Nerd Ensign whose name I can’t ever remember did seem oddly nervous during the jamming scene, too, like he knew something was up, but then that seems at odds with the rest of his character. And though it probably is some kind of trick, something fired those shells at the James, but maybe they just have an old coastal battery?

I also couldn’t tell if that Iowa was one of the ones that had Harpoons etc. retrofitted onto it. I’m assuming no.

I’m pretty confident that it’ll all get neatly resolved, I’m just pleasantly surprised that it’s still a surprise of some kind.

Besides the S4 finale had them boarding an Iowa, 5” guns visible in some shots and everything, so there’s precedent of budget shortfalls!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Just another day at the office

And the next time we see Chandler hours later he's okay to kick butt and lock lips.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 17, 2018

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

'murica actual is always ready to kick rear end and lock lips, it's just that he only brought the one shirt.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chandler has got his white whale.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

NOBODY saw some weird rear end plot going when enemy #1 just voluntarily walks into their command and surrenders?

These people are dumber than a bag of rocks. I honestly thought the ring held some explosive or something similar. You'd figure they'd search her thoroughly since she sorta compromised the entire military computer system before.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Silly Burrito posted:

NOBODY saw some weird rear end plot going when enemy #1 just voluntarily walks into their command and surrenders?

These people are dumber than a bag of rocks. I honestly thought the ring held some explosive or something similar. You'd figure they'd search her thoroughly since she sorta compromised the entire military computer system before.

And they have her basically in the meeting room there making food orders as opposed to naked in a cell? Wtf?
Apart from that rubbish though, solid action episode.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
eh, I guess they could just as well have given her a drug with some kind of time delay if they wanted to avoid the issue with the secret pill ring (like it takes x many minutes for a capsule to dissolve in the stomach an release the drug), but even in a cell the plot would still be pretty much the same so it's still a pretty minor concern all in all.

I was much more annoyed by the gunfight involving 50 people on a field about 100 meters by 100 meters, and by the Abrams shells being as powerful as a strong firecracker. But we got to see Wolf bayonet some dudes so it was worth it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

A proper holding facility probably wouldn't be right in the middle of the command center and wouldn't necessitate waving bad people in disguise through a secure checkpoint right into said command center in the event of a medical emergency.

That said it was a pretty novel way of doing it, but it would have been better if it was actual deadly poison to show the depths of the farts she had huffed to willingly go along with it.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Creamed Cormp posted:

I was much more annoyed by the gunfight involving 50 people on a field about 100 meters by 100 meters, and by the Abrams shells being as powerful as a strong firecracker. But we got to see Wolf bayonet some dudes so it was worth it.

Honestly given the constraints it seems this show has to work under that was a reasonably impressively detailed battlefield despite the nonsensical scale. The only part that got me was that the Americans never bothered setting up one guy with a decent scope to just snipe that .50 gunner in the tower. But whatever, it served the narrative well.

And I guess that doubly-confirms the Iowa is a real thing. I'm sure those TLAMs all missed though, that has to be the season finale.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

A proper holding facility probably wouldn't be right in the middle of the command center and wouldn't necessitate waving bad people in disguise through a secure checkpoint right into said command center in the event of a medical emergency.

That was so :24: with the CTU command centre that anyone could walk in to. But who cares about plot there was so much action.

Only three vs Wolf? Where's the challenge in that.

Funny coincidence, I got locked out of office last week and had to do the wall climb too.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 23, 2018

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah some solid action in this ep which was pretty good for what has to be a very small budget. Was hoping the James was going to blow up the tank or something though, I love it when they do that

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
This episode was like a 24 tribute episode and it was great.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

So we're not going to mention Miller's brave sacrifice of his legs?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

power crystals posted:

And I guess that doubly-confirms the Iowa is a real thing.

Chandler's vision of the Iowa aiming and firing could have been his imagination and the Iowa is still just an electronic warfare trick covering for shore batteries or artillery emplacements :tinfoil:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Octy posted:

He gets to go back home and convalesce with a nice glass of "sweet tea". He'll get a medal, probably be pissed he has no legs for a while but then learns to use a chair while his sweet southern belle is there to take care of him.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

BattleMaster posted:

Chandler's vision of the Iowa aiming and firing could have been his imagination and the Iowa is still just an electronic warfare trick covering for shore batteries or artillery emplacements :tinfoil:

At this point I will immediately believe that Chandler has some kind of boat-specific ESP and if they sat him down at the James' fire control he could probably successfully reenact the grid scene from Battleship.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Octy posted:

Chandler was impaled and had a huge gaping hole in his gut. He cauterized it with a couple of rocks and was back on his feet a few hours later with no lasting ill effects. Miller is either going to re-grow his foot or be up and walking around on prosthetics in a few days.

I loved the scene on board the Nathan James when the captain was ordering the missile strike, they're so fast and calm under pressure. Meanwhile up in the air...

the expression on that gunner :argh:

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah the Huey and its crew rule.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the door gunner does get to see the people she kills, which has gotta be at least a bit more satisfying than watching nato counters go dark.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This is very much like that one time in 24 when Tony Todd and his African boy soldiers infiltrated the White House and took hostages by drilling up through the bedrock of the building and waltzing in through the basement.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
I mean, at least they didn't shove whatever USB sticks she was carrying into the nearest computer, but you'd think they'd have updated their wifi by now.

:911: Miller's legs

BattleMaster posted:

Glad i'm not the only one putting too much thought into this loving awesome show.

Grandma Panic! fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 27, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Nice ship. I think i’ll sink it.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Octavio calling Chandler Captain America was great. As was murdering a man with a tiny model ship.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

This show is halloumi (the best cheese)

2 episodes left :(

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
This was a good twist on Die Hard as it acknowledges that going up against a dozen armed hostage takers is very likely to fail miserably. Of course, had Octavo noticed the one guy he sent to sweep for stragglers did not come back it would have all gone bad quickly but there is only so many people you can keep track of.

I was sure this was when the Chandler Cutout would be used to save the day on the RHIB but I guess we got two more episodes for it to shine.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

You'd really think for a place that held all the military minds, the secret plans, and the friggin President, they wouldn't fall for the old fake ambulance trick and have just a weeee bit more security.

I was waiting for the computer guy to flash the camera in Morse code, but they will save that for later. For now....GET BETTER SECURITY.

And only two episodes left? drat.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I liked all the back and forth shots between the replica command center and the real one.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

admiral black giving his life for president bitch-mode is some serious bullshit.

we did get to see the master chief finally unleashed, that was a treat. broke that gran columbians neck faster than potus' resolve.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

I liked all the back and forth shots between the replica command center and the real one.
That was fun to watch.
So, how was your day, BattleMaster, same old routine? And what have you been up to, Adm. Chandler?

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 1, 2018

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Just started this season and I'm a little disappointed that when Pearl Harbor 2 happened Chandler didn't punch the display case and take his uniform

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Binary Logic posted:

That was fun to watch.
So, how was your day, BattleMaster, same old routine? And what have you been up to, Adm. Chandler?

Nada, just looking forward to another episode of cool ships doing cool things. You?

I'm gonna miss this dumb show when it's over.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I see the jury is still out on Iowa Is Not Real vs Boat ESP. And was that a random train sound effect in the dinner scene for added drama? What?

BattleMaster posted:

I'm gonna miss this dumb show when it's over.

Very same.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I think the only thing I'm not really liking about this season is the internal South American drama. Tavo having his wife be a fortune teller is just so freaking hokey that it's too much even for this show. I don't know how much we were supposed to care about the general guy anyway, they never really did much to show him as some kind of 'honorable', Desert Fox, type of character and simply being the viewpoint character for watching Tavo slip into becoming a ruthless dictator was unnecessary. Overall Tavo would have worked better as a figure we only see/hear in his propaganda videos and from descriptions by other characters.

In other news, RIP Burk. Died not wanting to shoot a kid was definitely a death I didn't see coming.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The patrol boat captain picked a hell of a day for take your kid to work day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

The patrol boat captain picked a hell of a day for take your kid to work day.

Thought the same thing.

• Locked thread