Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's how you end up working for startups and pretending to be a ubuntu expert

in all seriousness, tech companies don't give one gently caress what you wear to work or what you wear while interviewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jabor posted:

that's also why you want to move around a lot - your signing bonus (vesting over x years) is often gonna be larger than the normal yearly handouts, so after your signing bonus is fully vested you can go somewhere else and collect another signing bonus

depends on if you achieve the ultimate goal of golden handcuffs or not

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Fiedler posted:

in all seriousness, tech companies don't give one gently caress what you wear to work or what you wear while interviewing.

mr nice shoes doesn't work for a tech company by that definition

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bob dobbs is dead posted:

He's never claimed to

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

doesn't nbsd literally work for a major bank in NY

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

doesn't nbsd literally work for a major bank in NY

yes

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

friend sent me this from his PMP book (some sort of product or project manager cert thing)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
agile is what you get if you censor a basically communist work ethos to make it palatable for middle managers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i did work a contract job at one of the big tech companies put west circa 2006. it sucked real bad and had its own set of weird cultural items

clothing was still very important but every employee would mention “you can wear anything you want to work!” within five minutes, because I would be wearing slacks

(needless to say, like every other workplace in the history of man, movers and shakers dressed like their bosses, and the bosses dressed like the middle managers, and so on and so forth.)

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

friend sent me this from his PMP book (some sort of product or project manager cert thing)

🖕

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Fiedler posted:

I mean maybe a few brain cells will care if it's in NYC or London and in finance specifically. But anywhere on the west coast you might even be frowned upon for wearing dress clothes to an interview.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm looking for possibly short term remote work (so I can move to Belize) and so many listings from US companies are 100% remote, theb you get to the small print on the application form and you have to live in the USA. Is there a particular reason for this?

They don't make the condition very obvious but I think that's more parochialism than anything

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fiedler posted:

I'd say this depends heavily on the company. I've interviewed with grand old companies where your interviewers are all managers and no one else where you'd have to at least wear trousers and a shirt with buttons.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

I'm looking for possibly short term remote work (so I can move to Belize) and so many listings from US companies are 100% remote, theb you get to the small print on the application form and you have to live in the USA. Is there a particular reason for this?

They don't make the condition very obvious but I think that's more parochialism than anything

i am going on a limb and saying it's because the companies don't want to deal with another country's legal system & taxes & whatnot else when signing a contract with you

edit: i think it'll be fine as long as you're a citizen of the us or someone legally allowed to work & live there

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

That's probably true - there are also places that are like "anywhere in utc-8 to utc-2" or something, which sounds like it could be a huge administrative burden if there wasn't a way to simplify it (services contracts?)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

yeah basically you can see remote work in all kinds of variations from "babbi's first remote" to "full blown remote":

• cross-team projects in corporations with multiple offices: this can be remote work (i.e. your teammate is far away and there is no way to physically talk to them), but it is relatively rare since people will more willingly collocate projects entirely within one office and pay for travel. This can in ways happen within the same city when you have larger campuses and floors. Babbi's first remote team experience.
  • a few days a week for some employee classes, but rest of the time must be in the office: trying to play nice with life/work balance, exploring their first remoting experiences. Do not necessarily expect this to stay in place forever
  • within state: still easy to get employees to come on-site to some central office, eases some of the local tax work depending on the country, you make sure that everyone's in the same timezone still, and the corporation may benefit from some consultants, contractors, or even employees in a different city within the state. At this level you'll mostly see some very senior people that the org trusts to be those able to benefit from that remoting.
  • within country, same timezone: the corporation is buying into remote, and building some teams with significant remote headcount, but in general they still have synchronous meetings all the time and expect everyone to be in at around the same time
  • within the country, broader timezone range: you are ready to go full remote, and maintain only a range of hours during the day during which meetings are likely to be held. However, you're not yet ready to legally handle hiring employees in multiple countries
  • multiple countries, broader timezone range: some employees or hiring pools were worth getting legal and HR to speak to a foreign firm assisting the establishment of either satellite offices or handling of remote workers. You now have to handle various vacation and holiday requirements, and work practices and regulations may vary. This would usually start with "close" country with treaties in place easing that stuff (i.e. US/UK/Canada, EU member countries, and so on). You may get some synchronous meetings for one or two hours a day, but for the most part your communications need to be asynchronous. If you have only one employee in a far away timezone, they may come in during their night for some important meetings.
  • multiple countries, any timezone: you either got a bunch of cheaper labor in poorer countries, or you are having support and devops teams and that way you can get 24/7 on-call coverage without alienating any of your employees. This will tend to be similar to the previous category, but you'll have small bundles of employees in a few countries that give you wide coverage. I.e.: US / Germany / Japan as a combo. You don't get worldwide synchronous meetings unless you fly in everyone for an on-site. Rather you will get segmented "hand-off" meetings between the timezones that overlap their beginning/end of days, and a lot of asynchronous communications. You may also get a kind of "managers get a sync meeting and then propagate the info between employee teams".
  • any countries, any timezone: everything kind of needs to be asynchronous. Chances are your workgroups will align in one of the patterns above, but otherwise you have to be large enough to have the legal framework to be set up in all these countries, to the point where you also probably have a lot of employees who decide to go to regular offices you have built in all kinds of capitals. At that point it's possible that remote policies are decided per team/project/department anyway

in short: the three big blockers are 1. management letting go of being able to hover around employees for them to do their work, 2. having the legal and HR team to work across country boundaries, and 3. having the organizational structure to cope with the lack of synchronous meeting and broadly overlapping work hours

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Boiled Water posted:

I'd say this depends heavily on the company. I've interviewed with grand old companies where your interviewers are all managers and no one else where you'd have to at least wear trousers and a shirt with buttons.

When I sat in on interviews at Experts Exchange, I would always feel bad for people who'd come in wearing suits while we were all looking lazy and schlubby, but one candidate came in dressed basically like us and I remember thinking, "Does this person even want this job?"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boiled Water posted:

no matter what the company is you have to dress to meet a bunch of hidden expectations

wearing a suit to the interview when the big boss is wearing jeans and a button down is a huge fuckup, an own-goal with no excuse

this is one of the things recruiters can really help you with — if they are inside recruiters they see candidates and hiring managers every day and they can tell you what to wear, at least in general terms.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CPColin posted:

When I sat in on interviews at Experts Exchange, I would always feel bad for people who'd come in wearing suits while we were all looking lazy and schlubby, but one candidate came in dressed basically like us and I remember thinking, "Does this person even want this job?"

nobody wanted that job

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pointsofdata posted:

they don’t want to pay for your international flight or wait for you to manage layovers every time you make a quick trip to HQ

also you will almost certainly be an illegal immigrant in Belize and the company wants no part of that

lastly, hardly any American companies have offices or legal teams or HR or accounting in Belize. how are they going to avoid breaking the law themselves?

remember every “digital nomad” blogger is breaking a shitload of laws in his host country. “tax evading vagabond” is not a desirable traveler classification

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nobody wanted that job

We might not have even hired anybody after that series of interviews. If we did, they were gone within a few months. I can't imagine they're ever going to hire a programmer again between now and the final demise of the company.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no matter what the company is you have to dress to meet a bunch of hidden expectations

wearing a suit to the interview when the big boss is wearing jeans and a button down is a huge fuckup, an own-goal with no excuse

this is one of the things recruiters can really help you with — if they are inside recruiters they see candidates and hiring managers every day and they can tell you what to wear, at least in general terms.

Agreed there, particularly for first impressions. At some point, some people in the company will look for a "culture fit" whatever the very loose definition of that is to them, and it may very well (consciously or not), include clothes. If they have a policy of "no dress code" but you still show up in a suit while everyone is in a hoodie, you are less likely to be seen as a fit.

There's definitely conferences where I spoke at where I had to willingly dress less nicely than some of the stuff I'd have possibly wanted to wear because the content I wanted to speak about had some content in it that will be better-received if it sounds like it comes from a community insider. However sometimes what I did is give training to a group of devs, and especially if you look young, dressing up a bit nicer than what people in the room will wear may turn up doing well for you.

I wouldn't expect it go really specific (you came in driving a car with these wheels?) unless you somehow end up right in someone's niche while they're also in a position of power and likely to make superficial judgement calls off of that niche.

It's usually fine to ask a recruiter what the dress code is like before going for an in-person interview anyway.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

pointsofdata posted:

you know the terrible programmer thread title is a joke right?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm not actually moving to Belize, I will be a legal immigrant in an EU state, and I am going to be paying the correct taxes (sadly significantly more than Belizean ones!), I just need to have a bit of flexibility about location for a while. Plenty of companies seem support this now, Mononcqc's summary makes a lot of sense.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

magical thinking itp

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

yeah it really doesn't seem like a big deal. I've certainly seen candidates who did the opposite get hired

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

wearing a suit to an interview is generally a massive fuckup because either you look like a dick, or youre interviewing somewhere where you have to wear a suit because of abstract arbitrary reasons which instantly makes it a garbage workplace

you can be goddamn sure that if your boss cares about how you dress they approach everything else in the workplace from the same petty and superficial place

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I go to all my interviews in gym shorts and a stained T-shirt & scratch my crotch at least once per interviewer

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Gazpacho posted:

I go to all my interviews in gym shorts and a stained T-shirt & scratch my crotch at least once per interviewer

i unironically have done this and got an offer

it was pretty lowball, i admit, but it was my second job out of school (i didnt take the offer)

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

otoh if you own nice suits and have the confidence to pull them off you probably look pretty cool, do what you feel

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

wearing a suit to an interview is generally a massive fuckup because either you look like a dick, or youre interviewing somewhere where you have to wear a suit because of abstract arbitrary reasons which instantly makes it a garbage workplace

you can be goddamn sure that if your boss cares about how you dress they approach everything else in the workplace from the same petty and superficial place

west coast moron spotted

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i don't understand why suits don't appeal more to the spectrum-adjacent tech world. you get to look great without actually understanding fashion or style, just follow these rules and you are objectively Dressed Correctly. plus you can really nerd out and spend money on high quality clothing to advertise your superiority

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i used to wear lovely suits to work almost every day and it was pretty great

suits are designed to be comfortable, and there was pretty much no thinking about what to wear in a given day

it's like wearing a uniform except that it's not actually a uniform

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

only interview naked

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

It's usually fine to ask a recruiter what the dress code is like before going for an in-person interview anyway.

it's always fine

you may not get a useful answer, but it never hurts to ask

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i don't understand why suits don't appeal more to the spectrum-adjacent tech world. you get to look great without actually understanding fashion or style, just follow these rules and you are objectively Dressed Correctly. plus you can really nerd out and spend money on high quality clothing to advertise your superiority

but suits are Businessy and anything Businessy isn't Cool

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Arcsech posted:

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Arcsech posted:

getting figgies is pretty cool

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i used to wear lovely suits to work almost every day and it was pretty great

suits are designed to be comfortable, and there was pretty much no thinking about what to wear in a given day

it's like wearing a uniform except that it's not actually a uniform

yeah it's a shame their image has turned into the polar opposite of what they were originally for and i hope they make a return at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
so are suits still a thing east of the mississippi? at least for architect/manager level outside finance?

god i feel old for remembering when it was a navy vs black suit thing.