Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My personal pet theory is that IntSys knows at least as much as we do about how to play their games (they can, after all, read internet discussions just as well as we can) but they stick to archetypes and tropes to help new players understand the game. So knights have 4 move not because of game balance but because they're Slow Guys in Heavy Armor, which is resonant and easy to understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

My personal pet theory is that IntSys knows at least as much as we do about how to play their games (they can, after all, read internet discussions just as well as we can) but they stick to archetypes and tropes to help new players understand the game. So knights have 4 move not because of game balance but because they're Slow Guys in Heavy Armor, which is resonant and easy to understand
My point isn't even that knights have 4 moves, its that Bors has worse offense than the horse guys too. Like Oswin is in a game with knights having 4 move and hes actually a well balanced unit because when he gets to a fight it ends. Bors has a 30% strength growth.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Knights can be slow guys with heavy armor by having high base defense and low base speed. It's not like fast, and lightly armored myrmidons have higher movement than other foot units in most games.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Thanks to the doubling system, speed is both an offensive stat and a defensive stat. Sometimes moderate defense and moderate speed is just as durable as high defense and low speed. This is especially true in the games where dodge-tanking is viable.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

You only have to look at how archers in older games not only didn't receive a stat bonus to make up for their inherent deficiencies, but in fact had their stats penalized as if being an archer was an advantage

I think some classes were just balanced for the ai and they didn't think much about how those units would work when you controlled them

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Movement is overrated.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Golden Battler posted:

Movement is overrated.

If anything it's still underrated

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Golden Battler posted:

Movement is overrated the most important stat in darn near every turn based game where it applies.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think some classes were just balanced for the ai and they didn't think much about how those units would work when you controlled them

Kinda like how Kinshi Knights (though I love them) really seem designed more around being a way to dissuade player over-reliance on fliers than to be actually used. Giving Armor normal movement probably would make them somewhat unbalanced from an enemy unit perspective.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

galagazombie posted:

Kinda like how Kinshi Knights (though I love them) really seem designed more around being a way to dissuade player over-reliance on fliers than to be actually used. Giving Armor normal movement probably would make them somewhat unbalanced from an enemy unit perspective.

Eh not really. Generals are pretty clearly the boss class. They've got a clearly defined stat line that makes them deal good damage, take less damage, the low move doesn't matterand the speed deficiency is covered for the ai with the throne bonus to dodge and defense. All of which couples well with regen. But they also have a wide variety of weaknesses the player can employ to completely overcome that strength.

Off a throne they're just an easily doubled dude vulnerable to very common effective weapons and free exp for mages. The extra point of move doesn't really do much for the ai.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The full build of Smash Ultimate is up on some demo stations in Japan and Spain, so all the character colors are out. There's some new FE reference colors.

Sharena colors for Lucy.

Think this is meant to be Eliwood's wedding outfit from FE7?

Could be Lissa's color scheme.

Greil color scheme.

Sigurd.

Mark colors for M!Robin.

Not 100% sure who this is supposed to be. Red outfit and blonde hair doesn't make me think of anyone, except maybe Yumina, but that'd be a really random pull.

Pretty sure this is Delthea.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Kinda like how Kinshi Knights (though I love them) really seem designed more around being a way to dissuade player over-reliance on fliers than to be actually used
Huh? Kinshi Knight is a perfectly fine class to be used. It's like a Nomad/ Bow Knight except it flies. Which is so much better than the alternative that I don't even remember what the other promotion option is. Is it Sniper?

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 5, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Yeah, probably.

I used a Kinshi Knight Niles and he sucked rear end. I felt that he was way better as a regular outlaw.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kinshi knight's kinda useless because takumi can already fly so you might as well let him keep terrain bonuses and setsuna dies if she doesnt get the strength promotion bonus from sniper + bowfaire later, but as a class on its own its fine

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
the mark reference is very good

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Endorph posted:

Not 100% sure who this is supposed to be. Red outfit and blonde hair doesn't make me think of anyone, except maybe Yumina, but that'd be a really random pull.

Guinevere maybe

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
im getting more vibes from clarisse personally

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think guinevere since all the other reference robin has are mages and guinevere was a sage in the trial maps

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Could be Arlen, maybe? True, he's a dude, but he does have long hair. Eldigan would work too, though he's not a mage.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

kinshi knight's kinda useless because takumi can already fly so you might as well let him keep terrain bonuses and setsuna dies if she doesnt get the strength promotion bonus from sniper + bowfaire later, but as a class on its own its fine
Oh, now I know why I have a better opinion of this class: My Corrin was an archer, and she obviously didn't have these issues.

I think Archer is a pretty good choice for your avatar in all of the games with avatars: You finally have a good archer, and you automatically stop yourself from breaking the game over your knee with your OP unit.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Your Corrin Archer wasn't OP? He murdered everything with the crit bow for me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kinshi Knight is extremely useful on Conquest where Terrain is more of a thing, and most of your crew is slow.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Of course she was good but the lack of 1-range is a severely limiting factor (until promotion). The most the difficulty gets flattened is, after all, when you have units you can just plunk down into the range of 5 enemies and get them all murdered no sweat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cattail Prophet posted:

Could be Arlen, maybe? True, he's a dude, but he does have long hair.
I'm almost positive it's this, actually, because

I wasn't sure what this one was but accounting for the 'recorded with a phone off a TV screen' quality, if his hair is dark green here and the cloak is dark blue, that'd make this a pretty obvious merric color

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

cheetah7071 posted:

If anything it's still underrated

hmm

nah

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Hmm, now that I think about it, what if white mage Robin is actually supposed to be Laura? That'd make every color a reference, given that pink Robin is clearly Serra. (Yes I know they're clerics, not mages, shut up)

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Endorph posted:

Could be Lissa's color scheme.

The red fringe makes me think of Owain instead, it’s the color used for Owain’s Spirit battle at least

https://twitter.com/kaijitang/status/1058135252336431104?s=21

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

The value of movement is playstyle dependent. If you care about speed and efficiency and turn counts it is incredibly valuable, but if you don't really give a drat what the numbers on the credits chapter roll are the value of running Maximum Cavalry/Fliers goes down substantially and the Knight movement penalty becomes a lot less crippling.

Except in FE4 where the movement gap gets to compound across gigantic long maps but FE4's an odd one in a lot of ways.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I just finished my replay of PoR. You know which character I want to know more about? Giffca. What is even his deal? Pretty much everyone in the Radiant games has something resembling a backstory, but Giffca is just a total mystery. He's Caineghis's "shadow", but there's no indication of where he came from, what his relation to Caineghis is, how he got his position, or what the point of said position is beyond being a less glamorous version of an official representative. I don't recall any of these getting expanded upon in RD. Is there more information about him in the Radiant games that I missed?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Nope, Giffca has really no backstory or anything. I guess he could have been fleshed out if there were actual supports in FE10, but we'll never know unless we get Echoes style remakes

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i guess he's super powerful by virtue of being a lion

but why him as opposed to the other lions? speaking of which we hear that a lot of the top brass of gallia are lions, but we don't really see any outside of the royal family and giffca

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
We know Giffca has been doing this since he was an actual child. As for his cut supports from FE10

Giffca x: Caineghis, Gareth, Kyza, Ranulf, Lyre, Mordecai, Lethe, Skrimir, Tauroneo, Bastian

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Tired Moritz posted:

Yeah, probably.

I used a Kinshi Knight Niles and he sucked rear end. I felt that he was way better as a regular outlaw.

The archer class tanks Niles' speed and resistance. Even with the bonuses from promotion, a Niles Kinshi will likely have less of both than Bow Knight on top of less durability. Pretty sure he'll have more strength though. If you're willing to spend 4k on him he really likes the skills.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Shiny777 posted:

The value of movement is playstyle dependent. If you care about speed and efficiency and turn counts it is incredibly valuable, but if you don't really give a drat what the numbers on the credits chapter roll are the value of running Maximum Cavalry/Fliers goes down substantially and the Knight movement penalty becomes a lot less crippling.

Except in FE4 where the movement gap gets to compound across gigantic long maps but FE4's an odd one in a lot of ways.

Even if you don't play for low turn counts more movement gives you way more tactical flexibility if you are engaging with the game on any level higher than throwing your ball of numbers at the enemy's ball of numbers.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

I always make Mozu an archer and Kinchi Knight is great on her, especially with all the ridiculous maps in conquest making fliers extremely handy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also if Giffca is a lion and lions are the royal family, is he related to Caineghis? It'd make sense, if he's known Caineghis since he was a kid. But beast laguz can probably interbreed (we know that birds can, what with Naesala and Leanne) so - actually i had this entire post about giffca written up but im gonna delete all that and ask that intsys make a third tellius game just so i can find out what the hell nailah and rafiel's kids will look like

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Am I inventing a memory of a support somewhere that says that laguz babies pick randomly between the species of the parents

If I were writing Tellius fanfiction, I'd say that the position of king's shadow was a socially acceptable post for a king-level lion to take if they didn't want to try to overthrow the current king, without any stigma of not living up to their potential or w/e

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Am I inventing a memory of a support somewhere that says that laguz babies pick randomly between the species of the parents

If I were writing Tellius fanfiction, I'd say that the position of king's shadow was a socially acceptable post for a king-level lion to take if they didn't want to try to overthrow the current king, without any stigma of not living up to their potential or w/e
yeah if giffca was a cousin of caineghis and nearly as strong as him itd make sense for him to act as caineghis's double and throw his weight behind him instead of his branch of the family trying to get him to king

also iunno if a support says that but leanne and naesala's paired ending says they have a heron daughter and a raven son so that presents two possibilities, either the sex of the child and the type of the laguz of the parent of that sex are in perfect sync (ie: if they'd had two sons it'd be two ravens) or its just rng

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think there was a support that brought it up, but Leanne and Naesala's paired ending mentions them having both raven and heron kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

speaking of fe9 fanfiction one time i read one where elincia had a literal lever next to her throne that she could hit to send advisers she didnt like down to get murdered by renning who never got unferaled, and ive never been able to see renning without thinking of that