Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think "legend"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

As in the game length or the ETA for the game coming out?

ETA. I love the series!

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
What are the must haves? Octopath traveler? Any good games for someone new to games completely for multiplayer?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Xeras posted:

Any good games for someone new to games completely for multiplayer?

Snipperclips, and to a slightly lesser extent Kirby: Star Allies.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There are tons of great games and a lot of indie surprise gems, but Mario odyssey and breath of the wild are the two big system sellers. Mario kart has steering assist for people just starting out with action games, kirby star allies is also a good pick because the second player is always able to do something but can't bring the first player down. The Jackbox games are the perfect party games, especially for people who don't play video games

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

xarph posted:

Golf Story

what if it was garf story. and it’s about actually being the main character of a daily comic strip that’s been running for literally 40 years now. like bojack horseman but in game form and the show is still on. that would rule.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Almost all of my games are rogue-likes, Steam ports, or both. Everyone should play Zelda though.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Bongo Bill posted:

I don't think "sociopath" is the word you're looking for there. Maybe "workaholic"?

The dude was playing with a controller for each of his crippled hands for untenable hours. I think that's at least a step beyond workaholic.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

The dude was playing with a controller for each of his crippled hands for untenable hours. I think that's at least a step beyond workaholic.

That's not what a sociopath is, however.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Bongo Bill posted:

Both of these. For Kirby, give the newcomer P1 controls, and once they figure out the Jump and Throw Heart buttons, the game beats itself.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

That's not what a sociopath is, however.

Sorry, you're right, I always get pschopath and sociopath mixed up

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Does anyone have Wheel of Fortune? I'm really impressed with Jeopardy, wondering how it stacks up

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

Does anyone have Wheel of Fortune? I'm really impressed with Jeopardy, wondering how it stacks up

What's so impressive about it? Serious question. Does it have online?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Alan_Shore posted:

Game Grumps is playing it in the current cycle. Seems okay.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Bongo Bill posted:

I would have never looked at Snipperclips but that seems like a great option!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Xeras posted:

I would have never looked at Snipperclips but that seems like a great option!

There’s a demo of it to try.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i wish nintendo would ask sakurai to make another kid icarus

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Looper posted:

Yeah really, I figured we had a new one coming after Uprising. And yet here we are.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Gonna trade in arms (it was a nice idea) and hyrule warriors (not for me) and get D3. I played it like a month after it came out so I imagine it's an whole different animal now.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Consummate Professional posted:

Gonna trade in arms (it was a nice idea) and hyrule warriors (not for me) and get D3. I played it like a month after it came out so I imagine it's an whole different animal now.

Yeah. A rotting abandoned animal.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Looper posted:

It would also be okay if they told him to make another Smash but he just made it play like kid icarus instead but mario can shoot orbitars now

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Xeras posted:

Yeah. A rotting abandoned animal.

Then use the Necromancer class to explode that corpse and blow up a lot of monsters.

Seriously Diablo 3 is so fun.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Another way to look at the situation is that the Switch has significant appeal among gamers that weren't around in the 80s and haven't previously owned a Nintendo system. That's a great thing for Nintendo.

I'm 30 and among many of my friends Ocarina was the first and last Zelda most of them played - Some of them moved on to Windwaker but the Gamecube wasn't very popular.

The person I know who sunk the most time into BOTW never owned a Nintendo console or handheld before the switch. He bought it specifically because he liked what he saw of BOTW and liked that it was a nice, hefty portable that didn't feel cheap like a DS.

Some of the guys that did follow the series from Ocarina all the way up to the Wii didn't like BOTW at all (I've noticed this online too to be honest)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Diablo 3 is the sort of game my wife and I will excitedly binge on for like two weeks, then completely lose interest, then 4-5 months later one of us will say "hey, we haven't played Diablo in a while!" and binge for another two weeks. Having a couch co-op version sounds really nice, so we'll probably get it on Switch when the cycle repeats itself.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've had people say that too, that BotW isn't a "real" Zelda. But the thing is that as someone who played the original as a kid, it feels the most similar to that in my mind, just running around trying poo poo out til you make progress.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Shine posted:

Diablo 3 is the sort of game my wife and I will excitedly binge on for like two weeks, then completely lose interest, then 4-5 months later one of us will say "hey, we haven't played Diablo in a while!" and binge for another two weeks. Having a couch co-op version sounds really nice, so we'll probably get it on Switch when the cycle repeats itself.

This is exactly what I do. Usually roll a new guy at the start of every two or three seasons. I just picked up the switch version because I was getting the itch and hadn't bought the necromancer pack yet, so I'm trying them out. There's a few small changes and the UI is way different but it's Diablo 3 alright. The switch sleep mode is such a great addition though, and makes the daily quests that much more bite sized.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I just got this season's necromancer set and its Real Good and makes me like playing necro even more

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Heath posted:

I've had people say that too, that BotW isn't a "real" Zelda. But the thing is that as someone who played the original as a kid, it feels the most similar to that in my mind, just running around trying poo poo out til you make progress.

As someone that’s played and enjoyed every Zelda, those people are dumb and wrong.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Some of the guys that did follow the series from Ocarina all the way up to the Wii didn't like BOTW at all (I've noticed this online too to be honest)

Other than LTTP, Zelda games don't tend to do a ton for me. As with Twilight Princess, I pretty much checked out halfway through BOTW. I'd only done two of the beasts, and when I got to the third, I realized I was just slogging through to get to the end. So I made some ridiculous +health food and just stormed Hyrule Castle and beat the game.

I sincerely appreciate BOTW being designed such that you can say "gently caress it" and go cheese the final boss as soon as you get bored.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Quick question, when the Switch I ordered finally shows up in the mail, can I just go ahead and put in the larger memory card I got for it, or will I need to set everything up and then copy the card contents to the new one?

Also what should I check out aside from Diablo and BotW and the other big-name titles (eg, Mario, Bayonetta, Xenoblade, Octopath)?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

bushisms.txt posted:

What's so impressive about it? Serious question. Does it have online?

It does have online. It's just polished, looks good, has tons and tons of questions, and in multi-player it's pretty good! Not mind blowing or anything, but as a trivia game it's pretty cheap and fun.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

C.M. Kruger posted:

Also what should I check out aside from Diablo and BotW and the other big-name titles (eg, Mario, Bayonetta, Xenoblade, Octopath)?
Mario is a must even if some people ultimately are less than wowed; the Bayonettas seem well-liked if you're into that kind of thing; Xenoblade and Octopath both are pretty divisive but praised for some specific aspects so a) make sure you're into JRPGs and b) check out if you're into the kind of JRPG that each is, watch some video or read a longer review before buying.

Mario x Rabbids is the one you didn't list that I think a lot of people would point you towards -- also a little divisive (some people didn't like its more there's-a-specific-right-answer puzzly take on XCOM) but probably more consensus liked than anything you mentioned other than Odyssey.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've warmed up to controlling Dark Souls portable and this is definitely a thing I never knew I needed in my life but drat, portable Dark Souls. And it runs better than the PS3 XBox versions. We are living in the future.

Drains my Switch battery like a MF though.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

C.M. Kruger posted:

Quick question, when the Switch I ordered finally shows up in the mail, can I just go ahead and put in the larger memory card I got for it, or will I need to set everything up and then copy the card contents to the new one?

For smaller stuff, you could check out Just Shapes & Beats and Slime-san.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i kinda think a lot of people could make a smash game, wheras there are probably a lot of crazy original new things that only sakurai could do. like, this is the guy who made kirby. that kind of talent is rare. it's a waste, to me, but oh well

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Finally got a Switch so I can get my Diablo dopamine drip feed and I am really enjoying it! One question: any specific suggestions for grip cases for the joy cons to make them more comfortable to hold? They're a little small.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zas posted:

i kinda think a lot of people could make a smash game, wheras there are probably a lot of crazy original new things that only sakurai could do. like, this is the guy who made kirby. that kind of talent is rare. it's a waste, to me, but oh well
Yeah but Kid Icarus is the exact same way, and he should make another game like that before he dies of exhaustion

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

C.M. Kruger posted:

If you bought a bundle with a digital game and there's no code on a card/flyer in the box, it may be installed to the SD card. Really no clue; Nintendo has been pretty bad about this in the past. If it's just a Switch with no digital game, you can just swap the cards before turning it on for the first time.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

empathe posted:

I have an extra official charger that's just AC to USB C. Will that make any of the cheap docs safe?
Not necessarily. It takes out one component so it might be safer but the dock itself is still a bit of a wildcard. But I haven’t followed the third party dock situation in a while so things might be better now.

Imagined posted:

"God I'm so tired of doing this game, but I feel obligated to do my best because Nintendo asked me. On the plus side, it's really hard."
I imagine the gaming nerd part of him enjoys it. There’s the game part of Smash, then there’s the kinda ridiculous gaming encyclopedia/love letter part of it.

Xeras posted:

What are the must haves? Octopath traveler? Any good games for someone new to games completely for multiplayer?
N++ multi is pretty fun/hilarious, although kinda requires two of the people to be adept at platforming at times since you have to work together to complete stuff. It’s simple enough control wise that it’s easy to teach people to get into though. Plus if you’re into platforming yourself it has a billion single player levels too.

Towerfall is a recent Switch version release, has the DLC of the other versions and added a 6 player mode. Simple kill each other game. I think it has a campaign mode but haven’t played much (don’t have myself yet).

Super Mario Party is solid. Jackbox games as mentioned are generally solid for non gamers, although the particular games tend to depend on your crowd.

Taiko just came out and vaguely recall it had 4p multiplayer (rhythm?) games but no clue how those turned out. Anyone know if the standard mode has 4p too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
And screw it, separate post, my favorite Sakurai story, with a side note from Kamiya:

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2018/02/08/new-years-discussion-with-sakurai-ueda-and-kamiya/
(A bunch more there and links to more interviews within)

quote:

—What was the first game you ever played?

Ueda: I never really played arcade games, so I started to get hooked on gaming via home consoles. By the way, since my parents ran a business out of their home, we actually had a Space Invaders arcade cabinet in our house, as part of the shop.

Sakurai: Whaaat!? That’s amazing.

Kamiya: That’s the house of my dreams! (Laughs)

Ueda: But to tell you the truth… I only played it one time. Of course, it was my first time playing, so I got a really low score, but people made fun of me… That became a bit of a traumatic experience.

Sakurai: That’s just awful. I’ve actually made it a personal rule of mine to always use the utmost consideration with someone who’s playing games for the first time. This is a slight digression, but during the golden age of fighting games, I pushed my youth to its limits and did stuff like winning 50 matches in a row on Street Fighter II Dash.

(Everyone laughs)

Ueda: What character did you use?

Sakurai: I mainly played Guile. Though, I later stopped going to arcades to challenge people at fighting games. I wrote about the reason why in a column a long time ago, but, I once sat down at a King of Fighters ‘95 machine to play against someone. I landed jumping heavy punches, uppercuts, Hien Shippuus and Zanretsukens**, defeating my opponent with ease, and when I happened to peek at who was playing on the other side of the cabinet, I saw a girl…

Ueda: A little girl?

Sakurai: It was a girl there with her boyfriend. I thought, “Ahh, I really screwed up.” In this happy place, I just showed her how harsh games can be. What was I to do? After she lost, her boyfriend took her place, but… well, he was weak. After that, I vowed to always check my opponent first whenever barging into someone’s game at the arcade (laughs).

Kamiya: If it was me in that situation, that would’ve filled me with a rush of excitement. I would have completely destroyed them—they wouldn’t have even gotten near me (laughs).

Sakurai: That’s terrible (laughs).
And I just remembered he made Meteos. I’d be down for a more or less straight port, tate mode and everything for the dual screen setup.