Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Episode was alright, but all the anti-adoption, keep the baby stuff was really gross.

Media is remarkably lovely to people who're adopted. Like they were all given up because their parents didn't love them enough. A friend of mine is adopted and once it's pointed out, you can't help but see it everywhere.

It's right up there with the don't take your meds episode as missing the mark on a moral lesson so completely that it kinda' ruins the episode for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

LividLiquid posted:

Episode was alright, but all the anti-adoption, keep the baby stuff was really gross.

Media is remarkably lovely to people who're adopted. Like they were all given up because their parents didn't love them enough. A friend of mine is adopted and once it's pointed out, you can't help but see it everywhere.

It's right up there with the don't take your meds episode as missing the mark on a moral lesson so completely that it kinda' ruins the episode for me.

Yeah, seconded. I went off on a coworker the other day for dropping a whole "I can't believe people would be so selfish as to give up their kid". Bitch please, you don't know their circumstance. I'm pretty sure I had a much more stable upbringing in my adoptive home than I would have with my biological mother.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I liked the cameos in the danger index thing. A Slitheen, Cyberman, Weeping Angel, Sontaran, Ood, Zygon, and a Silence. Also a classic Silurian! Also Davros for like a tenth of a second.

Other than that, this episode will be by and large forgotten by me besides minor plot beats like a rebooting sonic, male pregnancy, and the fact that apparently Earth history is still (sorta) taught in the 67th Century. I will have to stop and think what episode someone means when they mention it, so at least it's not Offensively Bad. They can't all be classics, you know?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Flight Bisque posted:

I liked the cameos in the danger index thing. A Slitheen, Cyberman, Weeping Angel, Sontaran, Ood, Zygon, and a Silence. Also a classic Silurian! Also Davros for like a tenth of a second.

Chibnall's gonna put a magazine cutout of a Dalek stuck somewhere in the background for a single frame each episode, pull the finger to the Nation Estate.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Unfortunately that's the story of this season so far. Mostly forgettable episodes with some cool moments dribbled inside each episode.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

That felt like Old Who, like it would have been completely at home as a Tom Baker story. Not a complaint.

Soundtrack was very Mass Effect 1. Also not a complaint.

Not particularly deep, but fun as hell.

(Guessing from the preview for next week that they're not going to make a big thing out of "and then they hitched a ride back to the TARDIS on the junkyard planet".)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The doctor told The Doctor that she'd need to have to give a report to the investigator, but then they could teleport them back to the garbage planet in a couple of hours.

It looks like there is going to be no issue and they'll just have it back next week, but it did seem odd they specifically brought up the danger of leaving it on a planet that was regularly scavenged only for that to go nowhere. Same deal with the first half of the episode have the Doctor complaining about how her body was still in pain when everybody else was fine - I actually assumed that the machine had hosed up her biology and tried to remove the "redundant" organs, but it didn't go anywhere.

One part I really, really dug was when they all did that little "prayer/recitation" at the end in honor of the pilot - the Doctor knowing the words and all of them taking an active part (Graham, Ryan and Yaz were very specifically not shown) did more than anything else for me of demonstrating that these 67th Century people had their own culture/rituals/ceremonies/shared identity.

Orv
May 4, 2011

marktheando posted:

The plot was also very similar to a bit in the Expanse, spoilers for The Expanse I guess - luring the energy hungry creature out the ship with a bomb.

That's like sci-fi problem solving #4 or something, any show that runs long enough has an episode of that.

Everyone's kind of already said what I'm thinking. The dialogue is stiff and feels like it's hitting a check list, not people talking and it's felt that way all along. There's half a dozen things in the episode that are either just sloppy writing or intentional red herrings regarding where the plot is going and I don't think the writing thus far is smart enough for them to be the latter. Jodie is a great Doctor let down by her writing feeling like she has to be all the greatest hits of Doctors but also something new. "Monster is just hungry/scared/confused" does tend to get a bit old in Doctor Who but two episodes of it back to back is just insanely lazy.

I don't have a particularly strong opinion on the dad subplot, even being adopted, but I think I'm sort of reaching a place where maybe Doctor Who isn't the place to tackle major social issues, even side on. Obviously it's a product of its time and there's no reason it shouldn't be able to address and try to at least have commentary on these kinds of things, but it's batting 0/2 on feeling genuine and meaningful and 2/2 on social issues basically being a plot device. Doctor Who is a show where the Doctor is almost always going to have the answer, be it an eleventh hour punt or "Oh I'm a trillion years old I saw this once on Babbleblax 9" there's never really any kind of threat of things not working out. Which means that inserting historical, meaningful events or genuinely tricky social commentary is always going to slave that commentary to the engine of what the show is - an action adventure where the hero always wins, even two episodes later or Pyrrhically - and it's always going to feel a little insincere.

Maybe I'm just getting old and lovely though.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
This was the first episode this season I struggled to get through. That was some RTD poo poo right there

LividLiquid posted:

yeah

Barry Foster posted:

Exposition, exposition, exposition.

Chibnall is a terrible writer
yeah x2

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 5, 2018

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Orv posted:

That's like sci-fi problem solving #4 or something, any show that runs long enough has an episode of that.

Everyone's kind of already said what I'm thinking. The dialogue is stiff and feels like it's hitting a check list, not people talking and it's felt that way all along. There's half a dozen things in the episode that are either just sloppy writing or intentional red herrings regarding where the plot is going and I don't think the writing thus far is smart enough for them to be the latter. Jodie is a great Doctor let down by her writing feeling like she has to be all the greatest hits of Doctors but also something new. "Monster is just hungry/scared/confused" does tend to get a bit old in Doctor Who but two episodes of it back to back is just insanely lazy.

I don't have a particularly strong opinion on the dad subplot, even being adopted, but I think I'm sort of reaching a place where maybe Doctor Who isn't the place to tackle major social issues, even side on. Obviously it's a product of its time and there's no reason it shouldn't be able to address and try to at least have commentary on these kinds of things, but it's batting 0/2 on feeling genuine and meaningful and 2/2 on social issues basically being a plot device. Doctor Who is a show where the Doctor is almost always going to have the answer, be it an eleventh hour punt or "Oh I'm a trillion years old I saw this once on Babbleblax 9" there's never really any kind of threat of things not working out. Which means that inserting historical, meaningful events or genuinely tricky social commentary is always going to slave that commentary to the engine of what the show is - an action adventure where the hero always wins, even two episodes later or Pyrrhically - and it's always going to feel a little insincere.

Maybe I'm just getting old and lovely though.

I don't think you're being old and lovely for calling out the show's flaws. The social commentary has a point and always has had a point in the show, but I don't think there's much plot to hang it on. Tonight's episode really seemed to be more about the uplifting struggles of disposable characters on a spaceship rather than the dangers they faced. Heck, we didn't even get any real rules to what was on the line until halfway through the episode and even then the ending came off as more manipulative than genuinely earned emotion.

Two things the show needs to fix is the paper-thin plots and maybe cutting out the excessive secondary characterization. We're running rich on all of these characters and not enough story to really put them through their paces. And since the showrunner wrote this episode, maybe hiring out more writers and doing some editing might be a better way to handle it. Because right now, if the rest of the season is going to be uplifting secondary characters with not enough to do, then that's an enormous waste.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Thought the episode was okay, liked the look of the creature and Jodie continues to kill it. Her facial expressions definitely seem like the quirk for her take on the Doctor and I'm here for it. While I like the character exploration of Ryan, Graham and Yaz, I think at a certain point we're getting diminishing returns out of it. The dribs and drabs we're getting out of those stories just seem like padding at this point, which does them a misjustice. Hopefully next week will get some of that focus back.

In other news, was just looking over some of the various Marvel and Star Wars Hot Toys and thought Doctor Who would be killer in realistic 1:6 scale. Someone like Hot Toys doing a line that features all 14 Doctors would be amazing. Made me wonder if there was something like that already out there. Apparently a company called BIG Chief Studios is doing that very thing!

https://www.bigchiefstudios.co.uk/collectables/doctor-who

Oh, oh no...

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I feel like the babydad bit was only done so they could have the cheap juxtaposition of a person dying and a person being born within a jump cut of each other

the miracle of birth, then say some words for the dead, thinkingsmiley.jpg

otherwise pretty much backing what other people are saying. I thought it was one of the better episodes in this season, but that's... not a high bar just yet. They could easily have given the Doctor a way to scrounge up some rudimentary Bomb Restraint Breaking Tool out of random surgical equipment and medical supplies, instead of having the sonic screwdriver magically start itself back up. She was also surprised that it did that, which is silly when she built the drat thing herself

I didn't mind the gremlin being cute, and I think the "it's not here to hurt us, it just wants to LIVE" gimmick was handled way, way better than it was with the spiders. ...It's just bad form to do one right after the other.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I thought it was a clever and fresh play upon the old school base-under-siege stories coupled with a very heavy mix of 70s Airplane disaster movies. The "going into labor during a disaster" was a big giveaway. And kudos to Chibnall for resisting having a cat-nun on board.

I can't help but think that, while the show clearly isn't as sharp as it was, people are being critical in ways that kind of contradict. For example:
1. The exposition and characterization is really clunky and poorly handled.
2. We haven't had enough clumsy character exposition from Yaz yet (ignoring all the ways in which she's been deftly characterized through a combination of behavioral choices and performance).
3. The episodes spend too long with characterization when they should be more plot/puzzle-focused.

Chibnall is providing a mix of development and subtext, he just isn't as good at subtext as Moffat was. He also doesn't write in a way that makes the subtext obvious and shouts "aren't I clever for having this" as loudly as possible. I feel like I know Yaz better as a character than I did Clara five episodes into her first season (counting only those episodes in which she appeared, obviously); she had to get past the "Impossible Girl" plotline before she really grew into a character.

All that said, I agree that I'm looking forward to other voices and hope that Chibnall writes fewer stories in the future (or co-writes more) now that's he's put his mark on the show.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Episode was alright, but jesus they need to either a) stop cramming so much into 50 minutes or b) make these episodes two hours, because there was absolutely zero room to breathe here.

I thought the “spit exposition and dialogue out at a bizarrely fast rate coupled with frenetic editing during a normal conversation” approach was a uniquely Moffat thing, but sadly it’s carried over.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Teek posted:

In other news, was just looking over some of the various Marvel and Star Wars Hot Toys and thought Doctor Who would be killer in realistic 1:6 scale. Someone like Hot Toys doing a line that features all 14 Doctors would be amazing. Made me wonder if there was something like that already out there. Apparently a company called BIG Chief Studios is doing that very thing!

Oh, oh no...

The Eccleston’s not bad, but uh

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm melting I'm melting

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Agreed that it was a bit of a filler episode. Just some minor, predictable character arcing for the guest stars and Lessons Learned by all.Gorgeous spaceship interiors though.

For everyone thinking Yaz has been the 4th wheel this season, looks like next week will be the Yazziest Yaz Episode to ever Yaz. :toot:

Teek posted:

Oh, oh no...

"I'm sorry. I'm so, so, sorry."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

quote:

filler episode

???

It's Doctor Who. Every episode is basically "filler".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's a shame Yaz isn't in uniform this season because they could have done something clever with her camera, like have it be recording poo poo during an episode that the characters don't notice themselves until reviewing the footage.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SiKboy posted:

I'm literally a physics teacher and *I* want to shove you in a locker and steal your lunch money. They were reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. Doctor who has never really been "hard" sci fi, and really never will be, its a silly thing to criticize. C'mon now, the show ignores fundamental laws of physics in its central conceit. The future sci fi humans found a way to break conservation of energy at the same time they discovered how to go faster than light, have instantanious communication across star systems and create artificial gravity. This is a show where its notable if they get a science detail right (black hole time dilation), not when they get stuff wrong. It just needs to be sciencey enough to suspend the average persons disbelief, and that isnt terribly sciencey.

And I think Avacado was a joke because its a fruit not a person, but the alien thought it was a person. But I may be reading too much into it.

Thinking some more about it, I think my issue actually lies with the exposition others in this thread have also complained about it.

I don't mind exposition dialogue if it's functional or actually educational, like the Yaz/Ryan talk in the Rosa Parks episode.

But to compare this speech to a Moffat era episode, in a Moffat episode, the Doctor would've just thrown in one or two lines of very obvious technobabble with the companions looking confused and that would be it. Instead of obvious technobabble, Chibnall tries to explain what's going on in a way that *sounds* real (using real science terminology instead of "artron energy" or "reversing the polarity of the neutron flow" ) but getting it *just* wrong. It brings the scene right into a sort of uncanny valley between realism and obvious fantasy, where my suspension of disbelief gets broken and I get very annoyed. The same thing happened last week in the spiders episode. I think less exposition would help prevent this.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I was hoping I guessed right on how they would deal with it once they mentioned it cant eat organic stuff.
Use a 3D leg printer or whatever (they are on a future medical ship) to make a 1 foot by 1 foot box of skin or meat to trap the fucker.
But alas.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Tsuranga Conundrum (love a good Robert Ludlum title) gifs:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

A great doctor being let down by pretty much everything else this season, including her dialogue. I hope it picks up because it seems like such a waste.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why's Donna Noble blonde? :confused:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Alright ep with probably 1 too many sub-plots, that needed to be tightened up a bit. Maybe scrap Pregnant-Guy just to get move the Ryan/Dad/Graham subplot along.

Hints of Father Octavian in the Med-Doctor who bit it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEvLkd8cySE&t=72s

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

lol

The execution may have been a failure, but I respect the attempt to capture Rose's gormless expression

e: goddamn I thought momentarily about getting the Clara one because I love me some Clara Oswald but I don't $300 love Clara

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 5, 2018

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Reminds me of The Witches for some reason

Probably because it is a thing that should not be.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

For everyone thinking Yaz has been the 4th wheel this season, looks like next week will be the Yazziest Yaz Episode to ever Yaz. :toot:

You know what they say

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I enjoyed that, but probably because it felt like just the right time in the season to have what I'm gonna call a 'junk food' episode. Not filler per se, just simple, straightforward with not much to think too hard about. It's great that everything until now has tried something new or posed some interesting questions, but you don't want that every time, sometimes you just want to watch a monster terrorize a spaceship. In fact, just before watching this I was thinking I wanted exactly that, although in my mind it was a Dalek episode so everyone's immediately on the same page about everything.

This is something I've realized I like far more in marathoning or binge-watching shows, you need a release valve every so often. I actually realized how good they are recently when watching through the Arrowverse shows in airdate order; in the middle of episodes all about these tense questions about Who People Really Are and how evil Ra's Al Ghul is, it's such a relief to have an episode that's just 'gently caress IT, CAPTAIN COLD' to have some simple fun.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SiKboy posted:

And I'm looking forward to next week, because apart from anything else, its another historical episode not about white people in europe. Daily Mail readers are going to go apoplectic and I am all about that.

It's likely to be at least partially about white people colonising India though :sun: The Partition was a complete shitshow and the British Empire was partially responsible for it being a shitshow, so expect that to come up and lots of gammons to get very angry at it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Infinitum posted:

Reminds me of The Witches for some reason

Probably because it is a thing that should not be.

Meanwhile Ten is just all

at the thought of having to travel with Rat-Face Rose there.

E: And it seems Eleven's apparently gone all crosseyed over these shenanigans

and Twelve is just not having any of it.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 5, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2018/11/wheel-in-space-animated-mini-episode.html

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, the Big Chief figures are very so-so. There's not a one that has a spot-on likeness in the way Hot Toys does, and it's truly disappointing because they're charging Hot Toys prices for them. I'd love the War Doctor figure, but he's just not close enough to John Hurt for me.

That said, maybe they're better in person? This is someone's personal pic, as opposed to the manufacturer photo above:

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-paternoster-gang-return

Looks like the Paternoster Gang is finally making it's way to Big Finish.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

It's been so long I'm honestly actually a little nostalgic for them, which is not something I thought I would ever say

Is there any data out there on how much actors get paid for BF? It seems like there's no shortage of C-list actors willing to churn this poo poo out forever

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
They're doing it for the lunch

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So they're not animating the whole story, or even one ep

Charles Norton posted:

Just to try and stop people speculating needlessly here, this project is exactly as described in that BFI/BBC press release. And nothing more. Please take that press-release at face-value. This is not a tease of anything other than a single standalone 10 minute mini-episode, made specifically for the BFI to show at their Missing Believed Wiped screening. As the press-release states, this is a one-off ten minute piece. The content will probably be included as a special feature on a future DVD and/or BluRay at some point. However, it is not part of any larger project to animate the rest of 'The Wheel in Space'. And we haven't found any of the lost episodes either. It's just a one-off featurette - exactly as outlined in that press release. And nothing more.

Additionally, just to clarify, although I have been across this project, the principal producer has been Rob Ritchie (and not me, as the press release asserts). And as the release states, it is directed by AnneMarie Walsh, whose work some of you will have seen in other Doctor Who animated productions. I hope those attending the screening enjoy their work on this new project.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3eNGidwaz4

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I am glad they didn't have to kill Stitch's cousin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

feedmegin posted:

It's likely to be at least partially about white people colonising India though :sun: The Partition was a complete shitshow and the British Empire was partially responsible for it being a shitshow, so expect that to come up and lots of gammons to get very angry at it.

I know, its going to be loving beautiful. Some of them may actually burst blood vessels.